Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
From what I remember, gang tags are inconsistently programmed so that there's no way to actually implement them properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

YggiDee posted:

From what I remember, gang tags are inconsistently programmed so that there's no way to actually implement them properly.

Didn't stop the rest of the app…

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Gang tags aren't "programmed" they're just linked images in the custom title text

The donation plaques could probably be included more easily, but I'm not sure anyone would care

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

honestly a big part of it is the horizontal layout for all the deets - if we could reliably parse that stuff out, where would it go? Especially when it's designed for vertical display (especially stuff like double avs)

UI stuff is the worst

Bourricot posted:

I'm getting it now.

Ah. well, nevertheless

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

baka kaba posted:

honestly a big part of it is the horizontal layout for all the deets - if we could reliably parse that stuff out, where would it go? Especially when it's designed for vertical display (especially stuff like double avs)

UI stuff is the worst

Ah. well, nevertheless

Maybe link to user profile and make them viewable there. That keeps the main UI uncluttered but let's users identify members of hostile tribes if that's something they find necessary.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

baka kaba posted:

UI stuff is the worst

Ah. well, nevertheless

If when you click on an avatar it can open up to show text, why not everything in the custom title area?

Honest question, I have no idea how this stuff works

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm sure it's come up somewhere in the misty past pages but is there any prospect of gang tags being added in the future?

Yeah nah those are so inconsistently sized and some people have so many of them that it would be impossible to include them without loving up the layout completely. There's just not the screen real estate on a phone for it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

yeah so that space has to allow for arbitrarily long custom titles, even on small screens, with the system text size cranked up

and really anything can go in your custom title, there's no consistent structure to it. We strip the styling (so the app can look consistent when it applies its own) but a bunch of the custom stuff relies on it, like the donation tags. Retaining all that and then throwing it in and hoping it always works is tempting fate

so yeah it would probably either go on a user profile popup (which would be a nice thing to have anyway) or in some messy row under the expanded post info bar thing, but ehhh it's not really a priority

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Perhaps the popup you get by tapping the three dots could include "Open user's profile" (in default browser ofc), or "Copy user profile URL"?

E: oh wait that wouldn't get you the gang tags, etc.

E2: plus you can just copy the post url and get it all that way, so maybe add "Open post in browser" to save the steps of switching to a browser and pasting in it? :shrug:

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 26, 2020

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I found a small bug.

I used the top right menu on a post to use "copy URL" for a direct URL to the post.

I copied the URL into another app and then clicked on it and chose to open it with the awful app again. Apparently, while I was doing so, someone made a new post in the thread. The link took me to this new post, with the posts above it folded in.
When I opened the link in the awful app a second time and there weren't any new posts in the thread it took me to the correct post.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I think the "copy post URL" thing should probably use the sharing API, where you can choose to copy it or send it to [browser app] or whatever

I'll file a bug about the new posts on the page thing, thanks! I guess there's just no special handling for when you're viewing the last page from a post link like that

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Fully embracing the edge-case weirdo life, I've gotten an Onyx/BOOX Nova2. So I guess I can test and give feedback from an Android 9 E-Ink system now.

(so far so good)

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

When I open the Awful app it no longer immediately takes me to my user control panel and bookmark list and instead I need to open it from the menu like a peasant. I recall there being an option for this but can't find it for the life of me. Help my thumbs aren't built to reach that far so often. Pixel 2 if it helps!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

When I open the Awful app it no longer immediately takes me to my user control panel and bookmark list and instead I need to open it from the menu like a peasant. I recall there being an option for this but can't find it for the life of me. Help my thumbs aren't built to reach that far so often. Pixel 2 if it helps!

Add Bookmarks as a widget from the home screen.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I don't know if this was reported, but I was on probation earlier and the notification at the top had tomorrow's date and the current time, like current every time it loaded it was the current time. It was as if I was perpetually probated for 24hrs. :ohdear:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I changed the code on the forums side to report the time in your local time zone, instead of CST. I guess maybe the app was already correcting for this and is wrong now?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Midjack posted:

Add Bookmarks as a widget from the home screen.

Dope thanks!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I changed the code on the forums side to report the time in your local time zone, instead of CST. I guess maybe the app was already correcting for this and is wrong now?

Can you remove the post button next?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's not even that it was off from a time zone difference. It was supposed to say "June 2, 2020 20:10" (which was CDT I think?) but instead it was saying "June 3, 2020 {{currenttime}}", not the time at which the probation ends. So it'd say "June 3 5:30" if I happened to see the banner at 5:30.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'll look into it - a few more tests on my end are probably in order.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If the app can't parse the probe message for whatever reason, it just defaults to 1 day, so that's probably why you're seeing now + exactly 24 hrs

It has to scrape the time in a very specific way (maybe a very bad way) so honestly any changes at all probably made it fall over
it basically goes
  • look for the "probation_warn" id
  • runs some regex on it that's hardcoded to look for "... until (timestamp). You [horrible monster or whatever]"
  • parse it as a date using MMMM d, yyyy hh:mm aa z

so yeah extremely brittle!

if you can just wrap the date in a span with an ID or whatever that would be easiest, just yoink it right out

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

if you can just wrap the date in a span with an ID or whatever that would be easiest, just yoink it right out

unix-timestamp data-attribute would be perfect

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Nobody told me that video auto-play/pause was broken. Has no one enabled that option?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sereri posted:

Nobody told me that video auto-play/pause was broken. Has no one enabled that option?

Oh yeah, looks like it. Autoplay is always the first thing I turn off in apps that aren't kind enough to disable it by default so I would not have noticed.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Would it be on by default?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sereri posted:

I don't watch videos, so like Captain Hygiene, I always disable that option. Sorry.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
i don't even own a tv :smug:

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Upgraded to an LG V60 and this is what the app looks like:

Both the bookmarks and forums listings are scrollable and are otherwise working; they're just displaying side by side.

Doesn't matter if the phone is standalone or in its dual case (it won't split across screens anyway, so idk.)

Help me, Froggy-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope for shitposting.

e: once a thread is opened, it displays as normal (is the only thing on the screen.) It's just the rest of the interface that's hosed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Check preferences that you aren’t in tablet layout somehow.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah congratulations on your long tablet! awful.app is built to keep up with the latest technological innovations...

Tadhg posted:

Doesn't matter if the phone is standalone or in its dual case (it won't split across screens anyway, so idk.)

:fireman:

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Auto mode was apparently thinking it was a tablet, yeah. Putting it in phone specifically did the trick.

Thank you for pointing out the user error. :v:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

nah it's not you - it's coded with whatever the like 2010 standards for :airquote:big are, and also that tablets :airquote:exist

I just called it awful.app I need some drat sleep

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

baka kaba posted:

nah it's not you - it's coded with whatever the like 2010 standards for :airquote:big are, and also that tablets :airquote:exist

I just called it awful.app I need some drat sleep

If you're not sure which you're using, you can check by trying to post a thread!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Not sure how you keep finding this thread without a search function

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Daaaang shots fired

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I am slain

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I just checked and awful.apk does not have the bug where you can post threads

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

baka kaba posted:

Whew thank goodness

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

baka kaba posted:

it does have the bug where i had to reformat my computer when i tried to get the gradle wrapper back in to the project to work on it

however there's a 95% chance that was the fact my computer's HDD was failing before I began

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

II wouldn't like to speculate, gradle has some big lawyers

(I replied to your other post I hope it helps!)