Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

Fun ratings fact, in the minute by minute ratings the Nitro Girls were a huge draw.
Which makes it loving baffling that WCW phased them out and turned them into characters on the show instead of a dance troupe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What's the deal with Mr Burns' assistant Smithers? You know what I'm talking about!

As you can see, the real deal with Waylon Smithers is that he's Mr. Burns' assistant. He's in his early forties, is unmarried, and currently resides in Springfield. Thanks for writing!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Which makes it loving baffling that WCW phased them out and turned them into characters on the show instead of a dance troupe.
hey sock good to see you round

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I was at the Ntiro where the Nitro Girls made their debut. At the time, I didn't realize it was a debut and thought it was just a thing they did to get the crowds hot for TV, had no idea I was witnessing history when Michael Buffer introduced them.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Tony Schiavone
He gave away the finish to Rock/Mankind and mocked it by saying that'll put butts in the seats, which it did because WCW is no longer around. Nowadays Tony is best friends with Dr. Britt Baker DMD, who has a large son named Adam

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Nitro girls are cool. Being live for cool wrestling things is cool.

I was at the Raw where Lance Storm superkicked a bunch of dudes and started The Invasion. That was cool.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Rey Mysterio Jr

He was a masked luchadore (Spanish for cruiserweight) who had matches with other masked luchadores and some unmasked luchadores like Dean Malenko. There was controversy when he fought Kevin Nash because he lost his mask. He later won the cruiserweight tag titles.

Fun fact: his name was originally "Misterio" and eventually became Mysterio, kind of like how the WWF's Hardy Boyz, Dudley Boyz, and Radicalz all had unnecessary Z's added to the endz of their namez.

JonathanSafranFoer
May 23, 2020

syzpid posted:

Please just stop and admit your an awful troll.

Maybe you should admit that you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're"

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

JonathanSafranFoer posted:

Maybe you should admit that you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're"

eat my fuc

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I SAID DID YOU FORGET YOU’RE SCISSORS

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Adjective
a word or phrase naming an attribute, added to or grammatically related to a noun to modify or describe it.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Ciclope

THAT'S NOT CICLOPE! :aaa:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Buff Bagwell
The Stuff, and you may or may not be able to Get Enough

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Hulk Hogan
Can go to hell... Straight to hell.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Yes yes, Chuck Norris doesn't sleep, he naps, or whatever you guys are doing. Let's stop distracting JonathanSafranFoer so he can tell me how much racial discrimination his dad did during his time at WCW.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Chuck Norris
Was on Nitro once and hung out with Goldberg and also Jean Claude Van Damme was there too.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Robocop
The actual real Robocop was in WCW

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
The n.W.o.

Is the New World Organization of Wrestling, brother.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hogan not knowing the nwo's name for like two weeks really heightened how crazy the whole thing was when it started.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

coconono posted:

Hogan not knowing the nwo's name for like two weeks really heightened how crazy the whole thing was when it started.

Highlighted by the fact that he said it correctly the first time, then kept getting it wrong afterwards.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NWO-ites

Hulk Hogan really called fans of the NWO "NWO-ites" for as long as the NWO existed, even though it sounded fuckin terrible. can you believe that?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Two Beans posted:

Highlighted by the fact that he said it correctly the first time, then kept getting it wrong afterwards.

he was workshopping it!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sandman McMahon posted:

Hulk Hogan
Can go to hell... Straight to hell.

Crap
When placed in the ring, can be considered representative of the audience that attended the 1996 edition of Bash at the Beach.

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.
Nobody

Who betta than Kanyon?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cunny mcalister posted:

Nobody

Who deada than Kanyon?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

Crap
When placed in the ring, can be considered representative of the audience that attended the 1996 edition of Bash at the Beach.

Also rap.

Rap is crap.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Hey Wall

That's the Wall, brother!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Hey Wall

That's the Wall, brother!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spin The Wheel

Make The Deal

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Randy, my hero...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

San Francisco 49ers Match

A match between Booker T and Jeff Jarrett in which 4 boxes were suspended from poles above each corner of the ring. The object of the match was to find and open the box that contained the World Heavyweight Championship. One box fell not even a minute into the match because it was improperly secured to the pole. In order of discovery, the boxes contained a blow-up doll, a framed photograph of Scott Hall, and a Coal Miner's Glove.

Despite the final box obviously containing the championship, Booker T and Jeff Jarrett continued wrestling and actively avoiding going for the box because WCW, shockingly, was not well-booked in this era.

Eventually, Jeff Jarrett went for the box but was punched in the balls by Beetlejuice. As Booker climbed and retrieved the box, it broke open prematurely and the belt fell to the floor. Booker had someone (ring announcer Dave Penzer, it turns out) hand him the belt.

I'm pretty sure this technically made Dave the heavyweight champion.

JonathanSafranFoer
May 23, 2020

Wrestlers as Bookers
One of the traps that WCW would fall into over and over again was having active wrestlers booking the on-screen product. There is an inherent conflict of interest here, and many at WCW were particularly bad at navigating this. In the mid-nineties, Ric Flair was the head booker and continually had problems managing the wrestlers and balancing his own on-screen role.

Kevin Sullivan was a booker for many years while still wrestling-most of you are probably already aware that one of the angles he booked, against Chris Benoit, involved the divorce of his wife, which ended up happening in real life as well after Nancy turned to Benoit after being abused. That tragedy is detailed more in the recent Vice documentary about Chris Benoit. (https://www.vicetv.com/en_us/video/benoit-part-one/5e5ed19e9202a153ee37abb1). Sullivan also had a stint as booker towards the end of WCW which ended up infuriating many younger wrestlers who viewed this as a signal that they would never receive pushes by the company.

Kevin Nash’s reign as booker is well-known to be a disaster for people who weren’t him or his friends. If you weren't in his circle, you never stood a chance of being added to a world title program. Oftentimes, he would flat-out ignore wrestlers who were on the lower or middle card. Afterwards, Disco Inferno would be added to the booking committee to assist Nash.

Football Players in WCW
WCW found a source of talent and potential stars from American football. Atlanta is a very football-oriented city so it’s no surprise that WCW plucked Bill Goldberg from the Atlanta Falcons (he played for the regionally-popular University of Georgia before that). Kevin Greene was also a former football player with local roots: before a distinguished pro career he played at Auburn university which is very close to Atlanta.

Other notable stars who played football before wrestling include the horseman Steve “Mongo” McMichael who was a superbowl winner, Lex Luger who was under contract from the Green Bay Packers, and Brian Pillman who played in the CFL and the Cincinnati Bengals.

The WCW Power Plant
Fresh prospects like some of the ones listed above were trained at a wholly-owned facility known as the WCW Powerplant. Potential wrestlers received strength & conditioning training, mat skills, and coaching from veterans. It cost a few thousand dollars to be trained there, but many of those who signed up and paid would wash out early because of the grueling regime they were put through. One of the parts of the racial discrimination lawsuit that I talked about in an earlier post was actually centered on the Power Plant as Hardbody Harrison said that the systemic racism was exemplified in the attitudes of the training staff to the minority trainees.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

DJExile posted:

Booker had someone (ring announcer Dave Penzer, it turns out) hand him the belt.

I'm pretty sure this technically made Dave the heavyweight champion.

I'm actually stunned that Russo didn't go with this.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hedgehog Pie posted:

he was probably too busy being concussed

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

The Internet
The Internet is the global system of interconnected computer networks that uses the Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to communicate between networks and devices. It’s got the scoops, brother.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

he 100% would have if he could have written it fast enough on the fly

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

WCW Wrestling
One of the few traps people have fallen into since the 90s is referring to WCW (World Championship Wrestling, or WCW for short) as WCW Wrestling. This is similar to saying ATM machine, though not the same as a PIN number.

WCCW
WCCW was a short lived spinoff of WCW, in the early 90s. Not much is known about it other than it being taped exclusively at schools. The tape library was destroyed in a mysterious kitchen fire at the Gregor McGregor Elementary School in 1997.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

WCW was very much in the wrong. There were so many examples of systematic racism in the company. Bischoff declaring black fans don't buy tickets, using the n word, declaring an event was a "white night" with no black wrestlers on it. Terry Taylor using the n word constantly and being just incredibly racist. Russo using the n word repeatedly. Black wrestlers and agents being passed over in favor of whites with the same or less experience. Plus all white management and a lack of discrimination standards meant that you would be shocked by the kind of things that went on.

And then there is the anti Mexican and anti Japanese racism. The irony of the lawsuit was that Sonny Onoo was basically only hired because he was friends with Bischoff and had absolutely no talent.
The case was so strong that at least one wrestler (Rick Reeves) who had basically no contact with WCW got the same massive settlement as everyone else.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
poop buckets

The Ultimate Warrior was a supernatural character who would appear out of nowhere. This was actually a special effect accomplished with trap doors. Sometimes other wrestlers would use the trap doors. One time Curt Hennig was under there for so long he had to poop in a bucket and it really stunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WCW Worldwide

a syndicated wrestling program featuring WCW talent, hosted by Mr. Worldwide himself, Pitbull