Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, the whole lab bit was the only part of the game that really had me tapping my foot. I know some people have called other parts "filler" but that's the only part that really felt that way to me.
Yeah exactly. By that point I just wanted the game to be over so that I could talk to my friends who have already beaten it about the ending etc.

Also, and it might be just me, but for games that open up again after the endgame, I always tell myself it'll go back and do stuff that I missed, but I never actually do. Once I know the end of the story, the motivational push just goes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Cheese him off the cliff like god intended

Time to look this up, thank you

Edit - lol was easy as hell

bows1 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 26, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Can someone give me the TLDR on Cities Skyline DLC?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Just a heads, this is precisely the point where the game goes almost completely on-rails and everything from here on out will be extremely linear.

That's fine, I think the reason I stopped playing was not-Venice's confusing layout and burning out on the terrible sidequests so I'm ready to push through to the end.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

RatHat posted:

So is the stream going to only be TLoU2? I don’t really care enough about the gameplay to watch it.

Probably since it's like a month away from release. It'll be funny to hear them talk about a camo index or prone crawling as exciting new features.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

precision posted:

Can someone give me the TLDR on Cities Skyline DLC?
Nonessential, pretty much. They mostly add some extra extraneous system that's fairly tangential to the core game of city planning. Mass Transit is probably the only one that's a for sure recommendation, it adds a whole bunch of public transportation stuff that's very useful. Industries and Campus are both good but totally a matter of taste whether you want to bolt a simplistic economic sim on top or micromanage your educational system, and it always feels conspiciously un-mayoral to mess with that stuff. Parklife is a similar kind of thing but much less substantial, if you want a big rear end park or zoo in your town though there you go. Everything else ranges from bad to inconsequential

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

gently caress!!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Replaying Portal 2 here. Got drat it is so so good.

I'm playing it for the first time. :smugdog:

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Call of Duty: WWII announced as a June PS+ game.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

univbee posted:

I've been curious for a while if it would be possible to make a rough port of FF7 onto an actual modern-ish N64 cart, like one that's got too much storage to be cost-effective at the time while still being realistic to the hardware (like 96-128 megabytes). The challenge is that all the game's assets for the PS1 version minus the cutscenes takes up 200 megs.

I think it'd be possible. Resident Evil 2's two discs were crammed into a 64MB cart, and they even left the FMV cut scenes in. It took quite a lot of compression wizardry, and the cut scenes look like poo poo, but if a competent dev team handled it, I think it'd be possible. The question is whether it'd be too ugly for the average person to want to play.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Fix posted:

It's so good. Gah, both of them.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is the playstation network just kind of rear end during quarantine? I can't stay connected to anything (streaming, games, etc) during this time but everything else on my network is fine.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

The Grey posted:

Call of Duty: WWII announced as a June PS+ game.

Oh nice, I was just thinking I’d like to shoot some old school FPS guns after playing with rifles in division 2. Perfect timing.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

*ping*

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

Is the playstation network just kind of rear end during quarantine? I can't stay connected to anything (streaming, games, etc) during this time but everything else on my network is fine.
I haven't noticed anything specific about the PSN but my internet is way slower on especially weekend evenings than before.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hey, someone mentioned Tomb Raider a few pages ago and I'm actually on Rise right now. Its...pretty good. It kinda feels like the jump from Arkham Asylum -> City where they made it a liiiiiiittle too open and kinda messed up the pacing. The first time I met a guy who gave me a sidequest to destroy five radio relays I rolled my eyes so hard. Also, maybe I'm just an amazing tomb guy after beating the first one a couple weeks ago but the puzzles seem a little easier so far? I'm only about four tombs deep though so maybe it gets harder later.

I like the setting, though! I thought it was funny that all the outfits are appropriately cold weather gear, even all the DLC bonus stuff, and then the very first new outfit you can buy from the vendor is a tank top with a kevlar vest :v:

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 26, 2020

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Samurai Sanders posted:

I haven't noticed anything specific about the PSN but my internet is way slower on especially weekend evenings than before.

It's hard to tell. I watch either netflix or hulu on my ps4 and the stream will die midway, but if I run a speed test I'm pulling 100mb down like usual, and my ps4 is plugged directly into my router. I'm just assuming its everyone using the internet in my area causing the slowdown.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Wolfsheim posted:

Hey, someone mentioned Tomb Raider a few pages ago and I'm actually on Rise right now. Its...pretty good. It kinda feels like the jump from Arkham Asylum -> City where they made it a liiiiiiittle too open and kinda messed up the pacing. The first time I met a guy who gave me a sidequest to destroy five radio relays I rolled my eyes so hard. Also, maybe I'm just an amazing tomb guy after beating the first one a couple weeks ago but the puzzles seem a little easier so far? I'm only about four tombs deep though so maybe it gets harder later.

I like the setting, though! I thought it was funny that all the outfits are appropriately cold weather gear, even all the DLC bonus stuff, and then the very first new outfit you can buy from the vendor is a tank top with a kevlar vest :v:

I found the DLC stuff and all the cards to be better than the actual game. Give it all a shot.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah the Baba Yaga DLC is great, and the mansion DLC is full of Easter eggs if you’ve played the older games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Baba Yaga was Rise

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

veni veni veni posted:

Baba Yaga was Rise

Yeah I got Rise and Shadow mixed up.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

RatHat posted:

Yeah the Baba Yaga DLC is great, and the mansion DLC is full of Easter eggs if you’ve played the older games.

There is also the coop survival roguelike mode in it that is surprisingly deep. I liked the Cold Darkness scenario too.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

just to clarify for the thread, Call of Duty: WWII is free as of tomorrow

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
If you have PSVR, Rise of the Tomb Raider is also worth having for the bonus mode for Lara’s house. I don’t know if I’d say it’s worth the cost of the whole game just for that, but it is pretty enough in VR that it made my mom cry over how cool it looks. :3:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fix posted:

What blows me away with Portal 2 even now is how good the in-game animations look. It's still light-years ahead of most stuff you see in modern games where everything looks so badly keyframed.
I know Valve really started pushing that with Episode 2 (they talked a lot about the opening bridge sequence back in the day) but Portal 2 is on another level.

The way the two main non-player characters animate is just so well done, it's incredibly evocative given what they actually are and what the designers had to work with.
Then all the little animations around the test facility like the broken plates moving around, the turrets, doors, EVERYTHING.

I'm playing on Xbox and you could absolutely slap this game on PS4 no problem, it's a testament to how important art design is over photorealistic graphics, something I've always thought Valve really understood and why HL2 still looks way better than some of its contemporaries, specifically Doom3.

It's an astounding game and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can’t wait for the day TLOU2 is released and we can talk about stuff using tags in here and not be followed around by a cabal of pants-shitters ;)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Lara being a straight up sociopath really rubbed me the wrong way at the beginning (maybe back when she was a blob of pixels it kind of distanced you from it) and then the actual game being pretty bland is what's stopped me playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider later.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
So I'm playing Horizon Zero Dawn and I kinda like it, but it hasn't really wowed me so far...
Do the different dialogue choices have any impact on the game? Because I kinda zoned out on some dialogues and then I had to choose how to react. Especially in the beginning everybody loves to chat away, while I just want to stab things.
And the campfires, how do they work? If I encounter one, do I have to quicksave at it in order to be able to fast travel to it later? Or is just discovering it enough?
And one more stupid question: if you buy a new type of weapon, you get some kind of tutorial 'quest'. Do I have to activate those quests in order to complete them? Or will they auto complete when I shoot 3 watchers in the eye (for example)?

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 26, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

shut up blegum posted:

Do the different dialogue choices have any impact on the game? Because I kinda zoned out on some dialogues and then I had to choose how to react. Especially in the beginning everybody loves to chat away, while I just want to stab things.
And the campfires, how do they work? If I encounter one, do I have to quicksave at it in order to be able to fast travel to it later? Or is just discovering it enough?
And one more stupid question: if you buy a new type of weapon, you get some kind of tutorial 'quest'. Do I have to activate those quests in order to complete them? Or will they auto complete when I shoot 3 watchers in the eye (for example)?

1. Not that I can remember, the story is very linear
2. Just discovering
3. I don't think you have to activate them

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
It's been a while since I played through it, so I don't recall the answer to the final two questions.

Dialogue-tree choices do not have any major bearing on anything. Just role-play Aloy however you'd like!

HZD gets better as you reach the mid-game. The combat against the larger robots is really what sets the game apart, and it's a lot of fun.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

Lara being a straight up sociopath really rubbed me the wrong way at the beginning (maybe back when she was a blob of pixels it kind of distanced you from it) and then the actual game being pretty bland is what's stopped me playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider later.

IT helps that the original game has you killing mostly animals and not people. But now that technology has advanced to the point where you actually have dialogs and personalities, its a lot more apparent.

Also, Shadow of the Tomb Raider does something I thought was really annoying but is emblematic of a lot of media. They kill off the queen and person that was supposed to do the actual thing of saving the World, and has Lara do it instead.

But whatever, the stealth in that game is really fun.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
The dialogue choices in HZD have slightly different cutscenes for the main quest stuff, maybe other ones too but I’m fairly certain the differences are pretty minor, don’t think they affect the actual gameplay or overall plot. The fires I believe just automatically ‘activate’ and when you die you’ll start from the last or closest bonfire. I also don’t remember exactly how the quests work, but I’m pretty sure you do have to activate those quests to complete them, but other side quests you can complete without having them activated. I could be wrong but I feel like I had a few of them not active for a long chunk of the game, specifically because I’d done most of the stuff a ton of times so I was confused.

But yeah, I also agree that HZD gets better like halfway through, it took me about a year before I actually got into it and finished the game, I found the combat confusing for the first half and I’m sure most of that was just because I took so many breaks in between advancing the main quest that I couldn’t quite figure out how to effectively use anything aside from the bow and the spear, and sort of used the sling. But doing the training ground quests or the hunting lodge quests were useful and helped me wrap my head around the trip caster, etc.

Hopefully Exquisite Tea sees this and can actually give the correct answers, I’m fairly certain about the quest stuff, and I know that certain dialogue choices of quests will make more NPCs show up in the final quest because there’s a trophy for it but I don’t think it changes anything even in that quest besides the dialogue.

Edit: it’s cool, you’re not an rear end. I post from my phone a lot and I’m not good at like, writing in general being able to tell when something will be a paragraph or a wall of text.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 26, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
don't mean to be an rear end, but would you mind paragraphing your posts, imhotep?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
DID SOMEONE SAY PORTAL 2????????????????????????

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Yeah boiiiiii

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VideoGames posted:

https://youtu.be/HFgeustBpFk

Edit: minor spoilers I guess? I dunno.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 26, 2020

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

veni veni veni posted:

Baba Yaga was Rise

Yep. Baba Yaga is the only thing from the second game that stuck in my mind a month after finishing it. It's not that it was a terrible game or anything, it was just so safe in it's choices it became unmemorable.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 26, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VideoGames posted:

No spoilers please I still haven't played it. (Mostly because my Microsoft Xbox 360 home computer system's power supply unit started making an awful noise when I first started it, and I still haven't gotten around to replacing it.)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
^^ I would never dream of spoiling it or any other game I laud :)

----
you give me a piece of paper and a pen, an empty txt document or a mic and a recording medium and I could explain for hours and hours why I think Portal 2 is the best game ever made. :D

So happy whenever someone mentions it or says they are playing it or anything to do with it! :D I have so much portal 2 related gubbins back here. The final hours doc, chell figures, wheatley keyring, the physical version of the soundtrack, the big art book, the valve comic book because it had some portal 2 stuff in (the tf2 stuff was a nice bonus).

PORTAL 2 YEEEEEEEEEEAAAHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VG have you played the Co-Op?