Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

VG have you played the Co-Op?

Yes I have. :D Both (The original campaign and the DLC) It was such a great time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

DID SOMEONE SAY PORTAL 2????????????????????????

I want to re play this so badly, but I’m too lazy to play PC games, but I feel like it would be fairly easy to port it to PS4 from PC, it’s not that long of a game and the textures and models are pretty similar in every area, I guess a lot less so in Portal 2. I mean I know Valve just doesn’t care because even though they could easily make a poo poo load of money they probably still make more from the few people still buying hats in TF2 on PC. I’ve replayed HL2 enough and it’s probably more fun on PC, but I was thinking that they could sell an insane amount of copies if they ported the Orange Box to PS4, but idk what they’d do with TF2 these days, maybe just swap that out for Portal 2.. but specifically Portal 2’s co op on PS4 would be really fun and I only played like a third of it when it came out. And now I’m thinking about how much fun L4D co op was, Valve was so good at co op games.

Also, I really hope that Half Life: Alyx comes out on PSVR 2 or even if they released it now I feel like my experience with it would’ve been just as good on PSVR, if you turned the graphics settings down and I guess made some of the movement a bit simpler, or like, I can’t think of much that the game expects you to do that couldn’t be done or hasn’t already been done in like Blood and Truth or Arizona Sunshine. But drat I loved Half Life: Alyx and I’m glad I know someone with an Oculus Rift who let me play it.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 26, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Yes I have. :D Both (The original campaign and the DLC) It was such a great time.

I haven't played the DLC! I'm really looking forward to playing it with my brother. I got it for Xbox One S and it still looks amazing.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Imhotep posted:

But drat I loved Half Life: Alyx and I’m glad I know someone with an Oculus Rift who let me play it.

I would love to play Alyx. I have no money for a big VR kit though or know anyone who has one, but I would LOVE to play it. I would love more portal stuff, or more Left 4 Dead stuff. I would genuinely like if Valve returned to those properties and just made stuff no matter what the critical reception because being a TF2hat/DOTA2 money printing machine is a sad way for them to have dried up (from an artistic viewpoint). I hope Alyx was not a one off and that this was actually feelers for a return to old!

I haven't played the DLC! I'm really looking forward to playing it with my brother. I got it for Xbox One S and it still looks amazing.

You will love it. It is hilarious, better than the regular DLC campaign :D

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm a bit embarrassed to admit, I let my temper get to me a few times when I was playing the co-op with my brother

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Thanks for the horizon answers!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

shut up blegum posted:

And one more stupid question: if you buy a new type of weapon, you get some kind of tutorial 'quest'. Do I have to activate those quests in order to complete them? Or will they auto complete when I shoot 3 watchers in the eye (for example)?

Not a stupid question. You do have to activate them. Frustrating and annoying design choice because you will probably fulfill some of the objectives but not complete the quest because you didn't have it as your active one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You've all reminded me that I was in fact NOT activating these side-quests. You can probably dig up my posts from when I played it complaining about that. That was a bizarrely bad oversight.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

shut up blegum posted:

So I'm playing Horizon Zero Dawn and I kinda like it, but it hasn't really wowed me so far...
Do the different dialogue choices have any impact on the game? Because I kinda zoned out on some dialogues and then I had to choose how to react. Especially in the beginning everybody loves to chat away, while I just want to stab things.
And the campfires, how do they work? If I encounter one, do I have to quicksave at it in order to be able to fast travel to it later? Or is just discovering it enough?
And one more stupid question: if you buy a new type of weapon, you get some kind of tutorial 'quest'. Do I have to activate those quests in order to complete them? Or will they auto complete when I shoot 3 watchers in the eye (for example)?

Horizon isn't a very WOW game, its just a solid, well made 8/10 game that does some things spectacularly (the combat, the world design) and some things poorly (the plot, the inventory)

If you switched in Alloy for Link it'd be a 10/10, best game of all time to some people though

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Horizon isn't a very WOW game, its just a solid, well made 8/10 game that does some things spectacularly (the combat, the world design) and some things poorly (the plot, the inventory)

If you switched in Alloy for Link it'd be a 10/10, best game of all time to some people though

No.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Nah because BOTW is better when you're playing as Linkle

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Horizon is basically the same game as BotW only they hired voice actors, a cutscene director and some previously undiscovered combat designer wizard

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Horizon is basically the same game as BotW only they hired voice actors, a cutscene director and some previously undiscovered combat designer wizard

are you trolling?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Rinkles posted:

are you trolling?

No, maybe being a bit tounge-in-cheek? I don't think I'm saying anything outrageous? The voice acting, combat and cut-scenes were were woefully under-cooked in BotW and very well executed in Horizon.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

JollyBoyJohn posted:

No, maybe being a bit tounge-in-cheek? I don't think I'm saying anything outrageous? The voice acting, combat and cut-scenes were were woefully under-cooked in BotW and very well executed in Horizon.

Yeah but Hyrule is infinitely better designed and the gameplay outside of BoTW’s combat makes Horizon look like poo poo. “Ooooh I found a stealth bush ooooh I’m invisible”

The combat in BotW isn’t undercooked, people are just too lazy to engage with the parry system, or the bullet time system, or even sometimes the weapon system!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I will literally cry if I hear any more BOTW/ H:ZD comparisons

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I will literally cry if I hear any more BOTW/ H:ZD comparisons

TBF they came out 5 days apart and are incredibly similar games in the same genre of game

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Yeah H:ZD is more of a stupid persons idea of a good Eurojank RPG with American trappings.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Healbot posted:

Yeah H:ZD is more of a stupid persons idea of a good Eurojank RPG with American trappings.

That's Dragon's Dogma.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

VideoGames posted:

you give me a piece of paper and a pen, an empty txt document or a mic and a recording medium and I could explain for hours and hours why I think Portal 2 is the best game ever made. :D

I re-played it recently and it still holds up, one of the GOAT for sure.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Control's DLSS 2.0 implemention is black magic. A 1080p upscaled image looks even better than native 4k because it didn't have the imperfections of TAA.

I wonder if this kind of AI up-scaling tech (or equivalent) will make it to PS5?

It really is a game-changer in terms of performance, it means you don't need to render at native 4k (or even native 1080p for that matter). It saves buckets of power with almost imperceptible loss to image quality (and in some cases, it's even better than the real thing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWIKzRhYZm4&t=630s

Check out this part where they compare 540p DLSS up-scaled to 1080p vs native 1080p, it really is magic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think the next-gen consoles are all using AMD integrated chipsets which as far as I know don't have the tensor cores Nvidia uses to make DLSS work. So it seems relegated to PC for the time being.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MZ posted:

I re-played it recently and it still holds up, one of the GOAT for sure.

I recently replayed the original, and it still holds up, though it was much easier and shorter than I remembered, despite not (consciously anyway) remembering any puzzle solutions.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I recently replayed the original, and it still holds up, though it was much easier and shorter than I remembered, despite not (consciously anyway) remembering any puzzle solutions.

I played the first one this weekend and finished it in just over 2 hours. If I was playing with a M/KB it'd be under 2 hours easy. It's still great but Portal 2 is on another level.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So I've been using the Xbox game pass for PC games for a few weeks now (though that's just ancillary to it's main purpose) and it sure is pretty awesome. Does Sony never intend to seriously compete with that, either expanding PlayStation Now and giving up on streaming, or some completely other service?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

So I've been using the Xbox game pass for PC games for a few weeks now (though that's just ancillary to it's main purpose) and it sure is pretty awesome. Does Sony never intend to seriously compete with that, either expanding PlayStation Now and giving up on streaming, or some completely other service?

Isn't Playstation Now basically the equivalent of Xbox Game Pass, just more expensive and doesn't contain all first party games?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Grey posted:

Isn't Playstation Now basically the equivalent of Xbox Game Pass, just more expensive and doesn't contain all first party games?

It's wayyyyy worse IMO. The price is absolutely ridiculous and it's massively hobbled by having to stream PS3 games. Being able to download the 360 stuff on GamePass is way better IMO.
GamePass was Xbox's big push due to their lack of good exclusives, something Sony didn't have a problem with this gen.
It'll be hugely interesting to see what happens next gen

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

PS Now's library is also much smaller and doesn't include any day-of releases, which alone makes it the inferior service.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Grey posted:

You're right about PSNow being more expensive, but not about the rest.

Edit: looking again at PSNow's download capable games, the only thing I care about, it's still pretty weak sauce.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

PS Now's library is also much smaller

i believe this isn't actually true

quality is a separate question

e:gamepass is actually less than that because i think there are pc/xbox overlaps

on xbox only:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Probably since it's like a month away from release. It'll be funny to hear them talk about a camo index or prone crawling as exciting new features.

wait what, it has snake eater stuff?

can ellie, some days, eat... on a treeeeee frooooog.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 26, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

Like I said, only care about the download capable ones. I don't have any faith that streaming games is ever going to satisfy me.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rinkles posted:

e:gamepass is actually less than that because i think there are pc/xbox overlaps

on xbox only:

PS Now definitely has a larger number of titles in terms of actual numbers. Gamepass has been very aggressive about acquiring more recent titles, though, and PS Now hasn't really closed that gap. Even excluding the Microsoft first-party stuff and the last gen stuff, Gamepass gets more recent titles and more often. I think Gamepass' strength is what prompted the more recent 3-month games on PS Now, which is a step in the right direction but still limited as Gamepass will get like 2-3 solid titles most months and this is a lot less likely on PSNow.

Sony can't do Day One offerings because the bulk of their games aren't online microtransaction-heavy games, at best they could maybe offer a future Gran Turismo game on the service.

PSNow's service seems to be more "permanent" in nature, with all but maybe a dozen titles being on the service effectively permanently; like if you exclude the games that were explicitly launched on rotation, the library hasn't otherwise changed since like a month after they enabled PS4 downloading. Gamepass is a lot more aggressive about cycling titles out, I think only their first-party stuff is properly there indefinitely.

PS Now's streaming has some weird jank to it, and I'm not actually talking about lag or visual quality here, there's some fundamentally broken stuff about it.

- A few games aren't running their most recent version (I know Borderlands 1 PS3 and TESO Online are not). In the case of TESO, this makes it straight-up unplayable unless you download it.
- You need PS+ to copy saves between your console and the PS Now version of the cloud in either direction, because it only lets you use the PS+ cloud as an intermediary. Meanwhile Microsoft gives all accounts unlimited cloud saves for free.
- The streaming versions are locked-down in terms of what content they have, which means you can't use any DLC at all even if it's just an unlock code. This creates some interesting issues that go beyond just not being able to use the DLC, as quite a few games render your saves incompatible if they've ever touched DLC content. For example, I decided to stream Bloodborne for a bit last night, and I couldn't use the game at all until I went into the save manager and deleted the PS Now version of the save outright (I couldn't even tell it to nuke the save from the game's UI), and this creates a one-way save issue where I could play Bloodborne on the cloud and then download it locally and be fine, but I couldn't do it the other way. Mind you this issue is more on the backs of game devs designing their games in ways that this happens, and isn't unique to PlayStation titles by any stretch, but it's more likely to be an issue because of how the cloud works. Interestingly, one of the few games I've noticed which did this right (at least for the games where the DLC content isn't just some content you access from a separate menu option independent of your main game's save) was Borderlands 3. I had an issue where one of the DLCs I thought was installed actually wasn't even though the PS4 thought it was, but I didn't actually notice until I went digging in my inventory and found a weapon flagged in red as requiring the DLC.

While we're on the subject, Microsoft's xCloud does actually seem to be addressing the former, I launched Tekken 7 on it and it recognized the two season passes of characters I owned.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Page 4200 is like page 420

TIMES TEN

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i played mk9 on ps4 through psnow trial and i had to play on very easy just to beat the story mode. and every now and then the screen would pixelate into a mess as the buffering hosed up. tbf this was on my old 10mb connection. i did kinda get used to the lag and stuff to the point where it was no longer noticable/an issue but then i downloaded mkx and it was like going from playing metal gear 2: solid snake on a bad emulator to playing mgsv.

also not quite sure how saves work on psnow? the ps4 dls i get are still on my system but the ps3 ones for mk9? i have the trophies on my account but if i recall, they said something about being able to download the psnow ps3 saves back to your ps3, i guess through psplus? just curious more than anything since i still wanna get a physical copy of mk9 and still have the poo poo i unlocked.

the downloading games side is good i guess if you dont wanna gently caress around owning things or wanna try stuff out. but physical forever. forever.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

I would love to play Alyx. I have no money for a big VR kit though or know anyone who has one, but I would LOVE to play it. I would love more portal stuff, or more Left 4 Dead stuff. I would genuinely like if Valve returned to those properties and just made stuff no matter what the critical reception because being a TF2hat/DOTA2 money printing machine is a sad way for them to have dried up (from an artistic viewpoint). I hope Alyx was not a one off and that this was actually feelers for a return to old!

You will love it. It is hilarious, better than the regular DLC campaign :D

I didn’t even know there was DLC for Portal 2, that’s cool though and I’m not actually too lazy to play it on PC and see if any of my friends want to do the co op campaign. But yeah for real, some of the best times I’ve had playing games co op was in left 4 dead 1 and 2, and I hope they do make more games like that now that Alyx is out and was as great as it was and I think, after reading interviews about Alyx, that they probably will release more games that aren’t DOTA2 or whatever and they were consistently working on projects since Episode 2 came out.

Speaking of, have you seen that trailer for the upcoming NoClip documentary about the unreleased Arkane developed Half Life 2: Episode 4: Return to Ravenholm? It looks interesting, I guess it was supposed to be a separate story that they were making when the original trilogy of episodes was still in development: https://www.gamesradar.com/half-life-2-episode-4-footage-emerges-a-decade-after-it-was-canceled/

But yeah it’s a shame that VR is still so expensive, although I was just reading the VR thread and didn’t realize that the Oculus Quest is apparently about as good as the Rift S and also standalone and compatible with Steam VR if you plug it into a PC with a USB cable. I think once I finish up the last few PSVR exclusive games I own that I haven’t played yet, I might sell it to get an Oculus Quest since it’s $400 USD new which I think is about as much as the PSVR bundle, it would be worth it to play Alyx and whatever else they might release since Alyx was so well received.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can't wait for that Arkane doc. I love their games.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
A lot of the community levels for Portal 2 are really good as well if anyone is looking for more content! My friend and I burned through a bunch of them in coop and the best ones are on par with what you get in the campaign.

Played some SR3 Remastered over the weekend. My feelings on that series are complicated, SR1 was maybe the first open-world game that I was ever super into. Then SR2 came out and blew me away, imo it's still the perfect open-world game. Great setting that's fun to explore and has a ton of variety and easter eggs, an engaging story with likable (if one-note) characters, and a massive amount of stuff to do.

The original SR3 did not sit well with me. Steelport isn't as interesting, the new style for the character models is oddly bulky and unappealing, and they leaned too far into the "wacky" writing without any real pathos to balance it out.

All that being said...the remaster unfortunately does not fix most of these issues. It does look noticeably better, but it's not like the Resident Evil remasters where they look like a game that could be released today. It still looks quite dated. And the character models still look like rear end.

The positives, it runs pretty well. I obviously don't know the exact fps count on a PS4 pro, but it seemed to be 30+ consistently, maybe even 60 fps. They also added all the dlc in, which is cool. And while I have mixed feelings about SR3 as a whole, it is still a quality open-world game when taken as a whole.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 26, 2020

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Finished Sinking City. It really lost steam towards the end and gave you a Mass Effect 3 "choose your 3 endings" lazy ending. This was especially dumb because Frogware imported the deduction system from the recent Sherlock games where you could make wrong deductions by misreading the evidence. They could've used the culminative weight of your deductions to give a relevant ending.

One thing I will give it is that it does something I haven't seen recently which is to make your smg as powerful per shot as your pistols. Most games nerf your smg bullets severely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I can't wait for that Arkane doc. I love their games.

Arx Fatalis
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
Dishonored series
Prey

I loving love their games. Call them eurojank, I dare anyone to do it :colbert: