Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

precision posted:

When u think about it, really the only thing wrong with Andromeda is that it doesn't have a single good or memorable NPC or quest line outside of maybe two of your squadmates

I mean other than that it's fine! ;)

Mom Taurian was great. Everyone else kinda sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

precision posted:

When u think about it, really the only thing wrong with Andromeda is that it doesn't have a single good or memorable NPC or quest line outside of maybe two of your squadmates

The lady with the hosed up make-up and twelve doses of ambien says otherwise

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I bought Andromeda and if you'd told me it was a fan-made mod, I 100% would have believed you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Thundercracker posted:

Grandpa NotWrex was also great

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
MEA as like an oblivion quest mod is pretty apt description I think

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Peebee is a bit over the top. Liam I have not used. Cora I have not used. Vetra is a Turian so automatically cool and always in my party. Dreck is great. Jaal is fantastic and currently I am partying in Heleus with Vetra and Jaal, blasting the nomad all over the place.

It has lots of little moments when it comes to the writing. Some of the datapads, audio logs and conversations with just random people about the planets is genuinely really well acted and written. The bigger stories are quite standard (so far) and nothing jumping out at me. The gameplay part is super great fun and some of the things I have built are great to put into action.

It is those little moments though, or the fact that your squad mates talk a ton both on planet and in the tempest, those lived in bits that make the worlds feel like things are happening. This is why I like it. I have always been more about those little touches over anything else and this easily has them in abundance.

I am now clearing up places on EOS and despite the wonky animations and occasional texture pop in, the whole planet looks beautiful. Flying in space and checking out planets is gorgeous and if I could have a game that was no overarching story, just visiting random world after world and driving about in the nomad shooting weird races and reading data pads, chilling with one off npcs, I would be in heaven :D

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Got our new Silent Hill guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8VGnRN5-mc

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

woo!

At least it’s silent hill 3, I knew pyramid head would be the bad guy.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i beat final fantasy xiii-2. and when i say beat, i mean i tried for an hour or two to beat the last boss bullshit the 3 loving bahumuts and said gently caress this i can see 40 on the horizon and youtubed the rest with no regrets. lol that ending was good tho.

for the record, ff13 is a waaaaaay better game than ff13-2, i dont know what anyone is smoking thinking otherwise. the ff13-2 characters are boring and go way overboard into "too much anime" zone. the loving story is a confusing mess that makes zero loving sense (changing the future changes the past. uhh what) and whole thing just seems like "hey how can we shut up the chrono trigger fans and kingdom hearts fans without giving them what they want" circa 2011 or whenever this came out, so we get some weird time travel stuff that never makes sense and makes even less sense when you stop and think about it, noel looks like a KH reject that nomura picked up from the trash heap of "KH remix after breakfast 4-zero super 3" (but his vo actor is still goat) the main bad guy stole his weapon from soul caliber for his sephiroth cosplay but the clothes got mixed the dyes ran and he just kinda made do and all the areas apart from one are kinda boring (academia looks cool af but at least 13-2 is less linear than 13) old characters turning up in new time periods with no explanation other than "buy some dlc baby" and now the plot stands at everyone is in the year 500af for some reason i just... what. the final boss theme rips tho. goddamn.

ff13 on the 2nd recent run i enjoyed way more, better characters, better story and journeys despite the linearness of most of the game and at least with this one and 13-2 they let you go back to open world areas before the end game and even during/before big boss fights. pretty cool. apparently they forgot that for 15 and 7r? lol.

uhh guess i'll load up lightning returns? i only know that you only play as lightning and can give her different clothes and that alone makes it the best of the 3 imo.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 26, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Thundercracker posted:

her and notwrex were good. the rest were bland or boring and like half of the cast was some variation of Kaiden.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I didn’t play it when it came out originally, but I want to play XIII after beating VII remake and knowing that the same composer did like all of the new music in remake. From what I’ve heard the ost for XIII is sick

God drat the vii remake has an incredible ost https://youtu.be/2Vsb5cX4H9s

imhotep fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 26, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
When did anime change to time travel. Time travel is a stable of the sci fi genre.

Which is basically what the FF13 series is, it’s very Sci fi

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bust Rodd posted:

Call of Duty, Gears of War, Wolfenstein, DOOM

Any kind of celebration of one (almost exclusively white) PC against an unknown horde of aliens or terrorists. Hallmarks are massive HUDs with handholding minimaps and objective markers, and a default weapons loadout you've probably got memorized before the game finishes installing. Storyline essentially sets up that violence is not just the answer, but the only possible answer, and you are the most violentest man to do the violence to them that needs violence done to 'em.

I'm not saying these games are necessarily bad or that I don't play them, but if I had to pick out hallmarks of American made games, it would be these.

That's not really what is meant by "Jank" though; those are all well polished games with high production values. Gears doesn't even entirely fit into that description there either (though Halo does, at a basic level).

A better comparison would be Oblivion or Morrowind to Two Worlds and how the both of them feel, or better yet, Skyrim to Two Worlds 2 (which is significantly less janky than TW1, but also significantly more boring). If Two Worlds is played out, then substitute with the Divinity franchise. Witcher 1 is a very janky game, Witcher 3 is not.

Come to think of it it tends to be any RPG or systems heavy game with a whole ton of half-baked systems instead of a few well made ones. That's probably a better description.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 26, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What's dead by daylight

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

precision posted:

What's dead by daylight

Ash Williams

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Imhotep posted:

I didn’t play it when it came out originally, but I want to play XIII after beating VII remake and knowing that the same composer did like all of the new music in remake. From what I’ve heard the ost for XIII is sick

Aside from Hollow and the instrumental version of it that plays in Sector 5, the memorable stuff from 7R's soundtrack is the original score shining through. Most modern FF songs are so busy you can't really pick out a melody to latch onto.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

CharlestheHammer posted:

When did anime change to time travel. Time travel is a stable of the sci fi genre.

its not the time travel that is too anime. its everything else, like the designs and reasons and story and poo poo, look up a picture of noel and the main bad guy. its weird, being a sequel that it just falls easily into "lets add extra anime" that wasnt in the original.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 26, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Imhotep posted:

God drat the vii remake has an incredible ost https://youtu.be/2Vsb5cX4H9s

some of is and some of isnt, i reckon the ff7r music is incredible due to it being from ff7 originally. there are standouts (oerba) but dont go in expecting too much.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

VideoGames posted:

Peebee is a bit over the top. Liam I have not used. Cora I have not used. Vetra is a Turian so automatically cool and always in my party. Dreck is great. Jaal is fantastic and currently I am partying in Heleus with Vetra and Jaal, blasting the nomad all over the place.

It has lots of little moments when it comes to the writing. Some of the datapads, audio logs and conversations with just random people about the planets is genuinely really well acted and written. The bigger stories are quite standard (so far) and nothing jumping out at me. The gameplay part is super great fun and some of the things I have built are great to put into action.

It is those little moments though, or the fact that your squad mates talk a ton both on planet and in the tempest, those lived in bits that make the worlds feel like things are happening. This is why I like it. I have always been more about those little touches over anything else and this easily has them in abundance.

I am now clearing up places on EOS and despite the wonky animations and occasional texture pop in, the whole planet looks beautiful. Flying in space and checking out planets is gorgeous and if I could have a game that was no overarching story, just visiting random world after world and driving about in the nomad shooting weird races and reading data pads, chilling with one off npcs, I would be in heaven :D
The game definitely looks good, but I felt like it never did a lot with the setting of being in another galaxy. The new aliens you run into are too similar to ones from the original trilogy of games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

its not the time travel that is too anime. its everything else, like the designs and reasons and story and poo poo, look up a picture of noel and the main bad guy.

Noel sucks but the main bad guy rules. He is a standard hammy Sci fi villian

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just a heads-up about CoD:WWII. Seems like the newer entries in the franchise have region-locked language packs. My region is Spain but my system's language is in english. I play everything in english but this drat game is in Italian. It forces me to change my system's language to spanish in order to play in spanish but CAN'T play it in english at all. How the gently caress this happens in 2020? At least in CoDMW 2019 I can keep my system set to english and force me to play in spanish.

Edit: gently caress it, I'll do it since it's a short game and I'm in the mood to play. Looks like I'm forced to set my system to spanish and play in spanish just for this one game. Way to go Activision.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 26, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Noel sucks but the main bad guy rules. He is a standard hammy Sci fi villian

voice cool, hammy cool. but that sword and outfit? come on...

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

her and notwrex were good. the rest were bland or boring and like half of the cast was some variation of Kaiden.

I really like Jaal. Jaal was dope. Especially the way he says Milky Way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

What's dead by daylight

It's an asymmetric multiplayer game where a big monster thing chases down a bunch of people

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Caius is just what an Amano design would look like in 3D who also wields the Soul Edge, he owns

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I thought FF13 was a boring, but very pretty, piece of garbage. Had a lot of fun with FF13-2 since it wasn't so overwrought and didn't take itself too seriously. Couldn't get into FF13-3, even though I tried.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Final Fantasy has been doing time travel since the original Final Fantasy.

poo poo, FFVIII has time travel and a moon base you travel to.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

il serpente cosmico posted:

Final Fantasy has been doing time travel since the original Final Fantasy.

poo poo, FFVIII has time travel and a moon base you travel to.

True but FF
13 loves weird clean white corridors and has a very futuristic vibe to all three games

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Veib posted:

Caius is just what an Amano design would look like in 3D who also wields the Soul Edge, he owns

maybe, not 100% convinced but now you got me thinking how much better amarant in ff9 would have looked if they kept that cool amano design.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/Lbabinz/status/1265375498131001344

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

getting all hot and bothered and reading way too much into "backwards compatibile"

also dead by daylight silent hill crossover. the. hype. is. palpable.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Vikar Jerome posted:

getting all hot and bothered and reading way too much into "backwards compatibile"

also dead by daylight silent hill crossover. the. hype. is. palpable.

I mean they already announced it would be backwards compatible, right

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

morestuff posted:

They did, but in more conservative language than a lot of people would have liked (something about how they will be testing PS4 games and enabling BC for everything that works).

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

morestuff posted:

but not for ps1-3, which is what i and other insane people like me, think of, when they read "backwards compatible." :colbert:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Vikar Jerome posted:

BC with 100 PS4 games

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

BisterdDave posted:

BC with 100 PS4 games

if a lot of us believe, the universe will make it so.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

lmaaaaaao that sign post looks like the one from the silent hills trailer.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/JusticeKazzy_/status/1265374117781540867

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

lmaaaaaao that sign post looks like the one from the silent hills trailer.

Never played Dead by Daylight but that looks incredible :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah I meant the new stuff, like the one I posted, but I don’t think the other new tracks are too busy, that might be true about the other recent FF soundtracks, but my favorite new tunes from remake are pretty minimal/ambient:

There’s another very ambient song I can’t find, but these are some of my favorites that I was able to find quickly.
https://youtu.be/63xvFIlwMtc This is a version of hollow, so it’s Uematsu but it’s still a similar vibe
https://youtu.be/w6av-yKaMd4
https://youtu.be/j4UPadBLvWQ
This mix has a bunch of tracks that I like that are new to the remake: https://youtu.be/1o8x1DETR14

The original soundtrack’s remixes are also great, the new version of One Winged Angel is wild.

Btw Tim Rogers’ 3 hour video on FF7 remake came out and it’s good: https://youtu.be/Hu4H5ykBP0I