Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
That is an extremely touching message and I hope she can achieve everything she sets out to do from here on out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

everyone be asuka's friend

She owns.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

The 1 lightbulb death match showing was what really sold me on her.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/omasukifight/status/1264816315618844672?s=19

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

That kitten is going to have the best life with so many cat moms to play with and spoil it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's time to change stardom's logo to be that cat in the same style as the njpw logo

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1265219134146691079

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It's still not really sunk in for me, it doesn't matter how many times I read it. As the one person my friends know who is into wrestling, I've been asked questions about Hana all weekend and I always default into answering in the present tense and it's such a gut punch to have to correct myself. I don't think I've ever been this affected by the death of a famous person.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

she is forever in our hearts

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

It's still not really sunk in for me, it doesn't matter how many times I read it. As the one person my friends know who is into wrestling, I've been asked questions about Hana all weekend and I always default into answering in the present tense and it's such a gut punch to have to correct myself. I don't think I've ever been this affected by the death of a famous person.

yes, this was absolutely devasting to begin with and having to go over it plus give a joshi/th/east asian idol culture 101 lecture to five different friends and family members asking me "hey do you know anything about the japanese girl who died" hasn't helped

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

It's messed me up badly. I'm so angry about what happened. I didn't think it would affect me this much, but it pushes a lot of buttons for me. Her being bullied for, I'm assuming, her whole life for being mixed race. Being so young. Being so talented. Beloved by so many who knew her. And it's all ruined because of loving trolls.

I swear the trolls and the bullies have loving won. They're in almost every government. They control the wealth in every country. They're putting millions of lives at risk because masks aren't cool. On and on. Anything good gets choked off.

Why does Shad Gaspard die and Vince McMahon lives?

Why does Hana Kimura, who never hurt anyone, get bullied to death, while the bullies loving celebrate?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hana's death sucks, and I will miss her forever. I'm just gonna celebrate her all too brief career.

Its still wild she managed to alloy Tokyo Cyber Squad into something that worked. Her and Jungle Kyona really made for a fearsome tandem.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1265377010919985153

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It really fucks you up when you're dealing with suicidal feelings of your own and then someone like Hana kills herself.

Enrique Meridian
Mar 29, 2010
https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1265355585928794114

an absolute gut punch to read. poo poo like this makes hope there’s a place we go after we pass, because i very much want hana to know just how loved she was all over the world.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TTBF posted:

It really fucks you up when you're dealing with suicidal feelings of your own and then someone like Hana kills herself.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If you are feeling suicidal then please don't hesitate to reach out for help. Wikipedia has a list of every country's suicide crisis lines. Please know that you are loved as part of this little community that we have here. I'm not a trained professional or anything but my PMs are always open for anyone who wants to unload.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TTBF posted:

yeah this is why I've tried to talk about Hana in the lightest possible manner. Not to erase the tragedy but just to give people some breathing room. Last week was like a filled bingo card of bad poo poo.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Rarity posted:

If you are feeling suicidal then please don't hesitate to reach out for help. Wikipedia has a list of every country's suicide crisis lines. Please know that you are loved as part of this little community that we have here. I'm not a trained professional or anything but my PMs are always open for anyone who wants to unload.

I would like to second this. If it's help at all to anyone who needs it my PMs are open as well

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 26, 2020

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

What's the point of having a community if we don't actually come together to help out when needed

Otherwise we're just fuckin' twitter and who wants that

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Enrique Meridian posted:

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1265355585928794114

an absolute gut punch to read. poo poo like this makes hope there’s a place we go after we pass, because i very much want hana to know just how loved she was all over the world.

It's a gut punch to be sure, but I'm glad the kid at least has parents who're proactive about taking her grief so seriously.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

I've been bullied all through elementary school (AMA about Moebius Syndrome) and if it wasn't for my massively supportive Mom I might've not made it out of that hell-hole alive. I think that's what really got to me with Hana - I know how brutal bullies can get (mentally, not even physically) and now you add that layer of anonymity with social media and all bets are off.

Please, friends - reach out to your local help-lines / support systems if you can. Or to those kind goons above, or even to me - my PMs are open as well.

On a slightly more upbeat note:

https://twitter.com/indiewrestling/status/1265488676693434369

I am really enjoying this recent uptick in easily available Joshi.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
https://twitter.com/metal0515/status/1265567807850323968?s=20

This is an ad in Weekly Pro Wrestling this week: its the shows that Stardom initially planned to put on Stardom World over the next few weeks. If these were recorded (and who knows if they were) then it has Hana Kimura's last match on it (a tag, Hana + Death Yamasan vs Momo Watanabe + AZM). They also have DDM listed as having an X which would normally be an interesting discussion to have but I don't think anyone is in the mood for it.

I don't think that these shows will be put up soon even if they were taped: I think that they'd have announced something by now if they were planning this and they've outright stopped everything: even the regular archive content drops on Stardom World are currently not happening out of respect. I think that this is an advert they planned to put in for shows that they were going to announce last weekend and then when events developed as they did naturally they forgot about this advert but that's speculation on my part and I could be wrong.

I'm torn on whether they should upload the shows if they wanted to: I would like to see her last match and I don't think that it should be hidden away forever if it was taped but I think it might be too soon for me to be able to watch an empty arena match with her knowing what happening not long afterwards. On the other hand I'd rather remember her for her wrestling and not for her final moments and releasing that might make it easier; I don't know.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

yeah, I'm not sure the optics of "here is Hana teaming with DEATH" is great

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Terrace House has been cancelled

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Terrace House has been cancelled

Honestly, good

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yep, it should absolutely never come back. I've been trying not to get angry about it but I see stuff like this

https://twitter.com/HirokoTabuchi/status/1265626818566148096?s=19

And it's hard not to get pissed off that this is all because some loving idiots didn't realise the show was a work

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I don't know if there are similar shows but I would imagine so and I hope those things get cancelled too

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I mean, it's the right call, but it's not going to do anything other than deflect the bullying toward the people who cancelled the show/pushed for the cancellation.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
gently caress Terrace House

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I’m concerned that the lesson being taken from this tragedy by a lot of people (not accusing anyone here) is basically “Fuji canceled the show and the problem is solved.” I understand being relieved the show is gone because it’s the most obvious choice, but Terrace House was not the issue, especially when you consider the grand scope of reality TV (ReaLove, anyone?). The issue is entertainment companies seeing people solely as disposable means of making money and offering them no support. The issue is Twitter allowing unrestricted harassment with no attempt to silence bad actors. It’s just a deeply rooted problem with companies and fandom that crops up in K-Pop and reality TV, and it’s crushing to see that the cycle will continue while the profiteers pretend to care.

This whole thing is just so horrible and I hope everyone is doing OK as we try to process it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

yeah, Sulli (from kpop) was harassed by online comments so much when the most that she did was wear slightly reveal clothes or perhaps was in a public relationship on her social media. Kpop fandoms are just so so toxic....

Anyways, a Mei vs Mizumori 30 minute iron man match should be at this link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4jGJPmY8N0

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

there is no necessity for terrace house to exist and obviously ending it is the right move but i dont think people understand how innocuous the content of the show actually is. there is a universe in which it actually has social value by depicting young people having frank conversations about work culture or gender relations. but it will be assigned a portion of blame and punished and everyone will move on to the next thing

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I stopped watching most of Terrace House when they went to Hawaii, but the show was completely fine before with maybe two confrontations in hundreds of episodes. The premise of the show was just young people (Three guys, three girls) living together and forming relationships and a lot of the show was fairly wholesome. I don't know what changed after Hawaii, but even the clip where Hana was getting so much poo poo over was completely tame compared to basically any other reality show drama

The problem wasn't the show, the problem is how much free reign people get to be total, complete pieces of poo poo online because social media basically never has any rules (And even if you get banned, you just sign up for another account)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its poor administration. always has been. The internet was designed by neglectful people who could barely have conversations amongst themselves.

Replace Terrace House with an hour long lecture on how to fuckin behave like adults even when you've been told its ok to scream and kick.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Hell, even children have more dignity than the adults who run things.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I keep meaning to write something here but it feels so empty for the gravity of what happened. The last celebrity death to have this level of impact on me was a young Australian cricketer called Philip Hughes who died after being struck by the ball. It's such a tragic loss of young life.

Reality TV is worked and should be taken that way by the audience. Instead because of the assumption what they are seeing is real it seems to create this fandom full of people yelling abuse. I remember a drag queen on rupaul getting death threats and abuse over a spoiler that turned out to be incorrect. Just utterly bizarre

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Hey so in the TEW game we drafted ASUKA and thanks to Asuka it's hard to find recommended matches from her. I've seen stuff with her before but not enough to comfortably write matches for her. Does anyone have match recs for her stuff?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Senerio posted:

Hey so in the TEW game we drafted ASUKA and thanks to Asuka it's hard to find recommended matches from her. I've seen stuff with her before but not enough to comfortably write matches for her. Does anyone have match recs for her stuff?

you'll find her stuff more if you add "-wwe" to your searches

but here's probably her most famous match, the "you lose if you break the light tube" match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSrH4TuKq1I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Cavauro posted:

I don't know if there are similar shows but I would imagine so and I hope those things get cancelled too

The west has a long history of shows more or less exactly like Terrace House, but in Japan there isn't really anything else like it, which probably explains why the public response to revelations that the show isn't actually "real" (in the aftermath of Hana's death, a staffer leaked that the director directly guides the plot, they shoot multiple takes, and the "residents" only ever came to the titular house a couple times a week to shoot) here is widespread shock and anger instead of just "uh, yeah, no poo poo."

So far they've only canceled the rest of this current season, but public opinion of the show could hardly be lower and I don't know how it ever comes back. Definitely shouldn't, imo.