Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Where is the popcorn when I need it? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

It was Allison's turn to buy, ask her.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.telegram.com/article/20130426/NEWS/104269782

quote:

He also said that Vanesesa Clark, Jesse Clark's estranged wife, who held the restraining order, indicated that she had initiated contact with her husband the day he was arrested for violating the order and smashing his mother's SUV.

The violent outburst followed an argument between Mr. Clark and his parents over a negative column about him that had appeared in the Sunday Telegram.

Jesse Clark and his wife, who are going through a divorce, have two children, ages 2 and 3.

E: yeah clearly this person is having a severe mental health episode two part season finale cliffhanger

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/1228489002946375682

Read the thread.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Was Twitter always used as a substitute for blogs or is that a recent thing?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Len posted:

Probably for the last decade or so. I remember Kanye had a blog in like 2009 where he typed the entire body of the blog post into the post title field but can't imagine that being a thing beyond that point.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Len posted:

Trump sadly helped solidify it as expected even though the format is absolutely garbage for longform stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

teen witch posted:

https://www.telegram.com/article/20130426/NEWS/104269782

E: yeah clearly this person is having a severe mental health episode two part season finale cliffhanger

Now this is a metaphor I can see much use for.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Len posted:

It was always introduced as a "micro-blogger" site when it first came out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

IUG posted:

I would think that means "entire blog post in one entry" and not "entire blog post across 20 entries" but maybe I'm just an old person

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Twitter itself is probably old hat to kids these days, and they all communicate using...[gesticulating vaguely] TikTok and Snapgram, you know, things like that

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kids communicate solely with ironic gifs from shows that were cancelled a quarter century before they were born

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IUG posted:

Yeah, blogs were huge back then. Twitter was definitely referred to as a micro blog, and you could set it up to just text tweets on your cell phone (tweets were limited to the charter limit of a single text).

It's also no coincidence that Twitter was launched less a year before the first iPhone. You can pretty much tie any bad things about the internet to the launch of the iPhone.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
bird site's 140 was based on the character limit of sms text limits being 140. but terrible people would have / will always make it a way to post their manifesto / armchair pHd thesis.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PhazonLink posted:

bird site's 140 was based on the character limit of sms text limits being 140. but terrible people would have / will always make it a way to post their manifesto / armchair pHd thesis.

Very close; SMS character limit is 160 characters. But Twitter actually originally worked through SMS, and reserved the first twenty characters basically for identifying information.

Even back when Twitter started the service barely made sense.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

jojoinnit posted:

So did anyone really die?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ubigmadlilmad/status/1264782682069835777/photo/1

E: beaten like a grieving groom asking for a refund

Their website is now blank.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Yeah but there was some follow-up sleuthing that revealed that same person also "died" after a social media gaffe in 2018, right? Or am I falling for internet bullshit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

theironjef posted:

Yeah but there was some follow-up sleuthing that revealed that same person also "died" after a social media gaffe in 2018, right? Or am I falling for internet bullshit.

Yeah, and also that there's no obituaries or anything for anyone with that name back in 2018 when they first made the claim either.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They even used the exact same text for both death announcements.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The client experience manager so nice, they killed her twice.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
She was that upset

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

christmas boots posted:

The client experience manager so nice, they killed her twice.

Man, even Christ didn't have it that bad. He only had to die once.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Imagine four Allison Davis' on the edge of a cliff. Online bullying works the same way...

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

From what I understand, it's not confirmed that he made the first death notice in 2018 - it might just be because of the way the post was dated, but only the more recent one "happened".

Additionally, the scammer has a larger-than-life presence online. From his website:

quote:

Jesse John Francis Clark is a Las Vegas-based executive professional, entrepreneur and passionate advocate for people living with Hemophilia and related bleeding disorders. With marketing savvy, digital expertise and advanced knowledge of Artificial Intelligence (AI), he currently serves as CEO of Flash House Media where he leads the team responsible for providing clients with customized digital marketing strategies.

Born with severe Hemophilia, Clark is the Founder of HemoAware, a non-profit organization dedicated to enriching the lives of people with inherited bleeding disorders through advocacy, education, and technology.

Jesse John Francis Clark holds a BOK Teaching Certificate from Harvard University. He studied Artificial Intelligence at the MIT Sloan School of Management and also studied Digital Marketing through Yale University.

Furthermore, Clark attended the Massachusetts School of Law and earned his Bachelor’s degree in legal studies from Becker College.

He's done his videography scam in multiple states and has used a number of aliases.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Man, even Christ didn't have it that bad. He only had to die once.

People cared more about quality back then. Nowadays you have to kill someone like two, maybe three times to get the same effect. Back then you’d just kill them once but it was a whole thing and you’d pull out all the stops.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
So has anyone seen these Amazon "we are workers who are definitely NOT mistreated/abused/unsafe" commercials? I don't think I've ever seen an ad campaign with less subtlety, and I can tell Amazon spent a shitload of money on them because they come on like five times per half-hour show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg3eQwbzlLU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It seems like the more advertising a company does about how much their employees love the company, the higher the odds that they are treating their employees like absolute poo poo.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Detective No. 27 posted:

It seems like the more advertising a company does about how much their employees love the company, the higher the odds that they are treating their employees like absolute poo poo.

Yeah, I see a lot of McD's/Burger King "we are so happy to serve you from the frontlines! :haw: " commercials too, but somehow they aren't QUITE as unnerving as the Amazon ones, possibly because Amazon treats their workers exponentially or at least kind of worse.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
McD's and Burger King didn't make a bunch of fake twitter accounts pretending to be Amazon employees who tweet and respond to people about how Everything Is Fine! Praising benefits like bathroom breaks and adequate temperatures in the warehouse.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcr...house-work/amp/

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

less than three posted:

McD's and Burger King didn't make a bunch of fake twitter accounts pretending to be Amazon employees who tweet and respond to people about how Everything Is Fine! Praising benefits like bathroom breaks and adequate temperatures in the warehouse.

Got some real "There is no war in Ba Sing Se" vibes from those.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

less than three posted:

My "benefits like bathroom breaks and adequate temperatures in the warehouse" T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Memento posted:

Got some real "There is no war in Ba Sing Se" vibes from those.

You're not the only one

https://twitter.com/jpbrammer/status/1162017064015552512?s=20

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

Yeah, I see a lot of McD's/Burger King "we are so happy to serve you from the frontlines! :haw: " commercials too, but somehow they aren't QUITE as unnerving as the Amazon ones, possibly because Amazon treats their workers exponentially or at least kind of worse.
The burger chains can't treat their employees TOO bad, because people can see them. You don't get a live camera feed of the inside of the amazon warehouse when you order something.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I get the impression that fast food jobs are more dreary and repetitive than outright inhumane, outside of dealing with the occasional mentally unstable customer.

I don't like Amazon and I never order from them, though I'm not sure their competitors or local equivalents are that much better than them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phlegmish posted:

I get the impression that fast food jobs are more dreary and repetitive than outright inhumane, outside of dealing with the occasional mentally unstable customer.

I don't like Amazon and I never order from them, though I'm not sure their competitors or local equivalents are that much better than them.

Amazon has been delivering USPS packages to my apartment since the start of the year. One thing I've noticed is sometimes there isn't even another option, as trying to order directly from a company will send you to Amazon.

There are still plenty of places you can order directly from, but it seems like the number gets smaller every day, as Amazon just digs in like a tick.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Over here in Flanders bol.com (a Dutch company) is very big, and Amazon doesn't really have a foothold yet. If they really start trying to break into the Benelux market, conditions will probably get worse pretty quickly, with everyone cutting corners. I have already read articles about how rough it is for delivery service couriers, who are mostly immigrants and/or members of ethnic minorities.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Is Baghdad Bob still alive? I’m sure he could use some work and definitely wouldn’t have any moral qualms with working for Amazon.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Phlegmish posted:

Fast food jobs are more about pushing the employee as hard as possible with little help until you break and are eventually replaced.

I doubt there are jobs more stressful relative to its compensation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I've never worked in fast food, but call center tech support has got to be pretty close. This isn't a "recount customer service horror stories" thread though, so I will say that your first sentence is absolutely 100% correct and depressing.