Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

W.T. Fits posted:

Cue the start of the battle, the Gatekeeper immediately raises a bunch of psi zombies... then runs the gently caress away. Nobody takes a shot.

My god they fixed it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

W.T. Fits posted:

Did the Sacred Coil takedown just a little while ago. It was the third investigation, so I started off in the room with the Gatekeeper, which immediately fled. Cleared the room, went into the next room and had to send everyone through the "all units entering through this door enter Overwatch after the breach phase" effect.

Cue the start of the battle, the Gatekeeper immediately raises a bunch of psi zombies... then runs the gently caress away. Nobody takes a shot.

Bellus Mar's turn comes up, he takes a single step from his starting position and immediately hits the ground as 3/4 of my squad unload their weapons into him. :allears:

Originally Bellus Mar get a turn for every one of your characters and would hit people with stuns and roots then would get to move behind high cover immediately after while the gatekeeper was attacking everyone in the room. If you did sacred coil first it made every other faction feel like a joke, especially if you gave blueblood dragon rounds.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Originally Bellus Mar get a turn for every one of your characters and would hit people with stuns and roots then would get to move behind high cover immediately after while the gatekeeper was attacking everyone in the room. If you did sacred coil first it made every other faction feel like a joke, especially if you gave blueblood dragon rounds.

That and that dude wouldn't have been able to finish the mission if his dudes gibbed the gatekeeper instead like they used to with that bonus.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Yeah I did them first and only managed to beat it because the AI made some very amazing decisions that caused him to get pinned in place by another unit on his own side, so he ended up just having to pass a lot of his turns because he didn't have any valid moves.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I would also like to note that, like the other New-XCom games, the soundtrack for Chimera Squad has some bangers. Here's a link to my favorite track (there's a playlist that for some reason doesn't get linked when I just try to copy/paste the URL into here), from the (endgame spoilers) next to last mission where Shrike is attacking the city hall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ozc1c0Vmg.

Goes *hard*. And really jives well with the feel of that mission, which is also pretty near my favorite in the game.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 25, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I did Sacred Coil second this time around and doing Progeny last feels almost like I'm bullying the poor bastards.

Also I haven't seen a single grappling hook breach yet, which is apparently the last one I need.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Did the Sacred Coil takedown just a little while ago. It was the third investigation, so I started off in the room with the Gatekeeper, which immediately fled. Cleared the room, went into the next room and had to send everyone through the "all units entering through this door enter Overwatch after the breach phase" effect.

Bellus Mar's turn comes up, he takes a single step from his starting position and immediately hits the ground as 3/4 of my squad unload their weapons into him. :allears:

That room made me wish I had Blueblood to just Faceoff against all of the Psi Zombies. Instead, I have Verge with the gun that lets you Reaper and enough aim and just gen them all down.

One thing that irks me about the game is that there's an unequal amount of firearms allocations. 3 Shotgunners and 3 SMGs but 2 Pistols and 2 ARs. And then Zephyr. As such, it becomes semi-optimal in terms of weapons research to pick up the full compliment of Shottys and SMGs and then both of the Pistolers or ARs for all of the guns or pick just one of them and never upgrade their guns (like Patchwork) alongside Zephyr.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

partly a question of how often certain squadmates use their weapon as well though - Blueblood needs his pistol more than Torque/Shelter/Terminal need SMGs

but shotguns probably still come out on top overall

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xelkelvos posted:

That room made me wish I had Blueblood to just Faceoff against all of the Psi Zombies. Instead, I have Verge with the gun that lets you Reaper and enough aim and just gen them all down.

My second playthrough I took Zephyr to that mission. Her running in and beating the poo poo out of all of them, then using Lockdown as they tried to move past her and killing them outside of her own turn ruled.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Man, the setting for XCOM 3 is going to be pretty awesome based on what CS has set up.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fister Roboto posted:

Man, the setting for XCOM 3 is going to be pretty awesome based on what CS has set up.

I'm looking forward to being a Notdog vendor too!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mission: Suppress an outbreak of BIG CRUNCH, the rapidly multiplying cereal that writhes.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Beat game last night, then started a new one because I have unfinished buisness with Coil 1st.
So did it again and kinda stomped it this time, bullshit room included. Patchwork is really good guys

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Synthbuttrange posted:

Mission: Suppress an outbreak of BIG CRUNCH, the rapidly multiplying cereal that writhes.

BIG CRUNCH is just lid eggs and the whole population is just waiting for an outbreak chestburster style

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Fister Roboto posted:

Part of me thinks they're setting up for an Apocalypse-style "united Earth, with former invaders, against extradimensional enemies" situation, especially given the end of WotC. People keep talking about the Elders returning in Chimera Squad, though.

That is, if they don't go for yet another alternate timeline.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Smith Comma John posted:

Part of me thinks they're setting up for an Apocalypse-style "united Earth, with former invaders, against extradimensional enemies" situation, especially given the end of WotC. People keep talking about the Elders returning in Chimera Squad, though.

It seems like the plan was a TFTD retread, and given the cutscene at the end of WotC, there's something even worse than the Elders out there that the Commander's psionic boom got the attention of. Maybe the Elders even get welcomed back to Earth as allies when Cthulhu arrives.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Smith Comma John posted:

It's more fear of them coming back than them actually doing so though. Chimera Squad hits a pretty nice balance between being optimistic and hopeful for the future upfront even as Shrike causes the city to start to fall apart, and lasting ptsd and trauma all being in the back or sidenotes or incidental dialogue.

It's passing but I think one of the best lines in the game is the description for the switchyard's train station. No one in the city knew what was going on there, and you know what was going on at other stations and almost certainly there, but everyone was terrified of it and the trains that came and went and never stopped and the heavy fortifications, but by the time the resistance and civilians breach that particular station to see what it was in it, they found that it was just a train station. There's nothing there at all. Halfway through the game too Floyd Tesseract's shtick goes from conspiracy theory stuff about XCOM to "never just believe what you're being told on the radio again, that's what let us do this to you under ADVENT", and the last dialogue on it is "no, stop just believing me why don't you understand". It goes from really goofy fake X-Files You Should Have Believed to "this happened, here's what helped cause it" to him being frustrated that people are still doing it and calling in to tell him how right he is. There's an implication that despite the psionic network and the Ethereals' control that the aliens and hybrids all had some semblance of free will and ability to act (Verge starts rebelling by the end of XCOM 2, for instance, Torque pointedly did not and basically got out on good behavior, Axiom did not but saved people during a massacre) and it's both handwaved for the main plot and a large part of the driving stuff in the background, but the difference is that the city and XCOM can accept it and move on but Shrike/Atlas cannot. It's really well done.

It is still funny that the model city of peace and prosperity in XCOM is Pittsburgh though

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 26, 2020

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Smith Comma John posted:

I think that whatever they do, this is half a narrative bridge to grab some familiar faces for the base staff of the next game. 10$ half price game to make people go 'oh hey! terminal and Jane and (insert fan fave here) area back as our staff for GET THE ALIENS BACK. this is awesome!!' is a pretty fair balance to strike.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Reverse XCOM where you invade the elder homeworld and you have to push a doomsday meter to full while sending wave after wave of colonial marines against the dashing alien defenders

(I hope they don't go to another planet, the earth environments are such a good part of the game)

Edit: I think what I actually expect is probably another invasion, but this time the strategic level includes conventional warfare like tanks and bombers and ICBMs and stuff, but the tactical level is still your small but super important special ops stuff like in every game.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 26, 2020

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

It seems like the plan was a TFTD retread, and given the cutscene at the end of WotC, there's something even worse than the Elders out there that the Commander's psionic boom got the attention of. Maybe the Elders even get welcomed back to Earth as allies when Cthulhu arrives.

From what little they said about it, it sounded like the threat was a psychic entity they were containing and their defeat would set it loose.

The new invaders might still be aquatic-themed (since it was apparently emerging in the ocean), but I think that's going to be a matter of improvisation for them rather than the awakening, aeons-old sunken cities and artifacts in TFTD which I think were even presented as the "true ancestors/masters" of the XCOM space invaders.

And yeah, I think it's a safe bet that the Ethereals come back to deliver an expositional "we told you so" and become allies.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 26, 2020

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I'm drawing a link between whatever was killing the Elders in 2 and the Fade in CS, but admittedly I haven't finished a campaign yet so I don't know if the Fade is explained further.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tricky Ed posted:

I'm drawing a link between whatever was killing the Elders in 2 and the Fade in CS, but admittedly I haven't finished a campaign yet so I don't know if the Fade is explained further.

All you really learn about it is it didn't start until XCOM 2 ended and it's so far incurable.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Pharmaskittle posted:

Reverse XCOM where you invade the elder homeworld and you have to push a doomsday meter to full while sending wave after wave of colonial marines against the dashing alien defenders

(I hope they don't go to another planet, the earth environments are such a good part of the game)

Edit: I think what I actually expect is probably another invasion, but this time the strategic level includes conventional warfare like tanks and bombers and ICBMs and stuff, but the tactical level is still your small but super important special ops stuff like in every game.

Final level has you busting into alien hq and finding they have an alien bradford with an alien sweater and loads of stupid propaganda posters on the walls of aliens throwing gang signs and tea-bagging humans across the globe.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I downloaded the Julian Shen squadmate mod.

"If advent only knew my REAL kill count."-Julian

"Mine's higher!"-Torque.

They get along so well! :allears:

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Tricky Ed posted:

That's a good point, I didn't make that connection at all.

It could also be that the Fade is the disembodied Elders themselves still around and trying to regain physical form by possessing people, and the reason they needed Avatars is because baseline humans just wither and die in the process.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Despite the weakness for Chimera Squad it really does capture the appeal of the earlier games and the sale price of $10 made it quite the steal if you are a fan of the previous games.

Main improvement I like for Chimera Squad was how it get rid of dead space between combat encounters like in the previous game (scout and overwatch) and pretty much throws you run into pitched gun fights via the breach mechanic.

Also Snek Bae is the best like how she points out to the squad that she's authentic earthling.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Avasculous posted:

That's a good point, I didn't make that connection at all.

It could also be that the Fade is the disembodied Elders themselves still around and trying to regain physical form by possessing people, and the reason they needed Avatars is because baseline humans just wither and die in the process.

I got the impression that the Fade was just like, the engineered obsolescence of the hybrids that the Elders put in them to keep them loyal - anyone who breaks away from their control loses access to the gene clinics and succumbs to the Fade. The reason why it's hitting people now is that all the gene clinics have been shut down post-occupation.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
*roadrunner noises*

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I got the impression that the Fade was just like, the engineered obsolescence of the hybrids that the Elders put in them to keep them loyal - anyone who breaks away from their control loses access to the gene clinics and succumbs to the Fade. The reason why it's hitting people now is that all the gene clinics have been shut down post-occupation.

Oh, the Fade was only Hybrids? I missed that part. Yeah, that makes sense.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Now that the game's been out for awhile, have people figured out for sure how to hit 100% completion on the 3 factions? Still wondering if it involves seeing all the Dark Event options or taking all the purple missions when they come up.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

:toot:

Getting ready to start my second run. Last time, I went Grey Phoenix > Progeny > Sacred Coil. This time around I'm planning on going Sacred Coil > Grey Phoenix > Progeny. Gonna be starting off with the three agents I didn't use last time, Axiom, Claymore and Patchwork... who would be a good fourth member to round out this team at the start?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Getting ready to start my second run. Last time, I went Grey Phoenix > Progeny > Sacred Coil. This time around I'm planning on going Sacred Coil > Grey Phoenix > Progeny. Gonna be starting off with the three agents I didn't use last time, Axiom, Claymore and Patchwork... who would be a good fourth member to round out this team at the start?

Maybe Torque for mobility? If you wanna go full early damage, get Godmother. Verge or Cherub are also good as a controller or someone to give you defensive options.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

W.T. Fits posted:

THe right answer is Terminal. But that makes the game way too easy if this isn't your first time through the game. Verge balances that group out nicely.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

With the patch all the bugs I was running into have been cleared up, and so I'm finally wrapping up my first campaign. Doing Sacred Coil last was definitely the right move, this would have been a complete pain in the rear end otherwise. Blueblood is the MVP of this campaign, but double Motile on Claymore is a close second. This was the final 3 missions for Sacred Coil, probably half of those kills were Blueblood:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

I just finished the campaign with those three and Blueblood and they're a steamroller. I wasn't remotely threatened in the final Coil + Atlas missions.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Smith Comma John posted:

Aren't all the elders dead? I thought you blowing up their underground bodyswap lab basically genocided what was left of the species.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Grapplejack posted:

Aren't all the elders dead? I thought you blowing up their underground bodyswap lab basically genocided what was left of the species.

Not all were on Earth, and some explicitly fled.

Chimera Squad has them talk a lot about preparing for a potential return

Like remember this is not the first planet they did their conqueror routine on. At minimum you also had the Muton (Floater/Archon/Andromedon/Berserker), Sectoid, and Viper homeworlds. Their other species are more unclear if they were engineered or natural (Chryssalids, Gatekeepers, Faceless) or are robots (Seekers, Drones, Cyberdiscs, Sectopods, MECs, Spectres, Gatekeepers, Codexes etc)

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 27, 2020

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

It feels like the Elders's whole 'you'll never survive the upcoming bad thing (that we won't tell you about in any detail) unless you have our help' was probably mostly BS. If we're supposed to be too weak to handle the mystery bad, then the fact that humanity punted the Elders off the planet casts a lot of doubt on that idea. Also, if they were really being so altruistic, maybe lead with that instead of a genocidal invasion and occupation of the planet. I'm sure there is going to be another big bad, but if the Elders are going to come back with an 'I told you so' and help with it, that would leave a pretty sour taste in my mouth. There's not room for any kind of redemption arc for the Elders as a whole, they've been pretty well painted into a corner as pure evil. Having a separate faction of outcast Elders who aren't into mass murder and subjugation could work, though. Or if we really need magic elder power to beat cthulhu, going out and capturing an elder and sending it through a juicer is also an acceptable plot.

I'm curious what mystery undersea baddie has been doing this whole time since WotC. I'm assuming that the Templars have probably been holding a lid on it with their psychic powers, and presumably 3 will start with that failing. I do wonder about the other factions, too. The skirmishers we can assume probably just popped off their helmets and joined society, and are the majority of the hybrid population now. I don't think we really have any clues where the reapers went, though. Maybe the more xenophobic reapers ended up in groups like shrike, and the rest just put it behind them and went back to living normal lives. But that's just a guess.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Just have the Elders come back as the herald of the new big bad, shaking their fists and blaming the humans for 'forcing' them to ally with it, to double down on them being whiney, evil little shits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BobTheJanitor posted:

It feels like the Elders's whole 'you'll never survive the upcoming bad thing (that we won't tell you about in any detail) unless you have our help' was probably mostly BS. If we're supposed to be too weak to handle the mystery bad, then the fact that humanity punted the Elders off the planet casts a lot of doubt on that idea. Also, if they were really being so altruistic, maybe lead with that instead of a genocidal invasion and occupation of the planet. I'm sure there is going to be another big bad, but if the Elders are going to come back with an 'I told you so' and help with it, that would leave a pretty sour taste in my mouth. There's not room for any kind of redemption arc for the Elders as a whole, they've been pretty well painted into a corner as pure evil. Having a separate faction of outcast Elders who aren't into mass murder and subjugation could work, though. Or if we really need magic elder power to beat cthulhu, going out and capturing an elder and sending it through a juicer is also an acceptable plot.

I'm curious what mystery undersea baddie has been doing this whole time since WotC. I'm assuming that the Templars have probably been holding a lid on it with their psychic powers, and presumably 3 will start with that failing. I do wonder about the other factions, too. The skirmishers we can assume probably just popped off their helmets and joined society, and are the majority of the hybrid population now. I don't think we really have any clues where the reapers went, though. Maybe the more xenophobic reapers ended up in groups like shrike, and the rest just put it behind them and went back to living normal lives. But that's just a guess.

A lot of the Shrike units seem to have Reaper cosmetics. I'd assume a lot are out there hunting lid outbreaks or other mutated wildlife, some integrated into society and some joined human supremacist terrorist or political orgs

Volk is the kind of guy who absolutely walked away from the table when he heard XCOM wasn't going to help genocide all the remaining aliens post-war and probably kept up his paramilitary compounds.