Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Those graphs should be cumulative. It's like 50% of experts who think that we will have >10% unemployment until Q2 2021 which is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cant wait for the 4th of july Burger Riots

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

cant wait for the 4th of july Burger Riots

The free market is solving this by making ground beef $10/lb. It isn't that there aren't any burgers, it's your fault for being a poor piece of poo poo.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

graph posted:

i dug to see what it would take for me to be able to get a test and the answer is i dont get a test

poo poo and ohio has several top notch medical systems too. its the same for us here and osu, like the cleveland clinic, setup their own process but still cant meet demand fast enough

graph posted:

restaurants opened last thursday. i drove around downtown and lakewood. no one was wearing a mask

they had to close the loving parks yesterday at 2pm because it was a total clusterfuck

the weird thing was the gas station had a better mask rate than people passing on a busy sidewalk -_-. i didnt even bother checking downtown because the short north failed the distance check the first loving day of patio seating, so i can only guess its dumber now

at least the few places we like to get food from are still takeout only and thats because they dont want the risk of trying dine in seating and instead are using the time to redo interiors slowly and keep employees doing curbside only to reduce risk to them

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265427538140188676
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265427539008380928

twitter is getting nationalized

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is pretty big. has trump ever directly criticized twitter's handling of his own posts? (no, because it has never done anything but kowtow)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The president has no idea what free speech is

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
When trump wins I hope its followed immediately by twitter banning him - having decided that they won't try to ride out another 4 years.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

president karen letting it rip on twitters manager lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how about that 25th amendment tho

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
nazi jack should have ripped the bandaid off in 2016 instead of letting it fester this long, but better late than never

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it is extremely funny that they fact checked him.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Jabor posted:

nazi jack

Don't you mean Twitler?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i'm talking about the person specifically

the company reflects the people in charge

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
ban trump for mod sass

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Methanar posted:

Were the Irish in the 1970s left or right

my uncles were Marxist Leninist Maoists if that gives you any indication

e: they were apparently just maoists

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 27, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

anyway, whoever loses, we win. i say let em fight

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jabor posted:

nazi jack should have ripped the bandaid off in 2016 instead of letting it fester this long, but better late than never

maybe I’m naive (likely) but jack seems like he’s groked the zeitgeist and trying to do good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

maybe I’m naive (likely) but jack seems like he’s groked the zeitgeist and trying to do good

Jack is a nazi

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

quote:

we're less than 3 months in to the most severe pandemic in 100 years

actually it'll be a few more weeks until we hit that point: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1957-1958-pandemic.html

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

yeah jack is a fascist and likes the traffic that fascism brings to his platform

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I wonder what % of twitter traffic is trump/fascism related

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Stereotype posted:

The president has no idea what free speech is
neither do his supporters. it's the first of the constitution and it means nobody is allowed to get mad at what you say

echinopsis posted:

the only good billionaires can do is to no longer be billionaires

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

jack dorsey is a nazi who makes decisions to actively support nazis on twitter. the world would be a better place without him. why does he seem good to you?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

jack dorsey is a nazi who makes decisions to actively support nazis on twitter. the world would be a better place without him. why does he seem good to you?

idk whenever I've read interviews I tend to like his thoughts generally. compared to say zuckerberg, he appears to have views on the direction of twitter that are orders of magnitude healthier than that of facebook. I can't remember anything specific, just that feeling after interview.

no matter how you run a social media you'll have haters. I think the general "mission statement" of twitter is far better than almost any other one

what are these acts of direct support of nazis on twitter? the closest I know of it is a sub par effort to cull facist posts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I read all day long on here that people hate jack (but still use twitter lol). trying not to be too much of a sheep, the opinion I've formed of him from what I've read isn't consistent with what others say of him. i might simply not know enough and be completely wrong, but it's just what I've formed from what I've read, and I'll be hoenst I haven't delved deep into it to find problems or good things either. welp

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
jack's gonna get ousted lol

shoulda started doing this like 5 years ago but we all know why jack didn't

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
sorry should clarify, there's a "truce" right now but this is totally gonna put that at risk

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
he really puts the d in diameter

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

nice hoop skirt setup. make sure you stay away from open flames at the cotillion.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

echinopsis posted:

idk whenever I've read interviews I tend to like his thoughts generally. compared to say zuckerberg, he appears to have views on the direction of twitter that are orders of magnitude healthier than that of facebook. I can't remember anything specific, just that feeling after interview.

no matter how you run a social media you'll have haters. I think the general "mission statement" of twitter is far better than almost any other one

what are these acts of direct support of nazis on twitter? the closest I know of it is a sub par effort to cull facist posts

they dont ban nazis for inciting violence and hatred but will often ban the people responding to them saying "lol ur dumb I hope you get strapped to a missile and rocketed to the moon" as if its a credible threat. you can argue thats a moderation problem and not directly his issue, but...

you can see from their API they flag nazi accounts and tweets cause its illegal in German law to support the nazis, but don't enforce that in the US or anywhere else.

you can report people actually flagged as nazis in their platform for inciting violence and hatred and they will be like oops sorry we didnt find anything that violated the rules.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"google's motto is 'don't be evil' so they must be a good company" - echi, probably

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cold on a Cob posted:

jack's gonna get ousted lol

shoulda started doing this like 5 years ago but we all know why jack didn't

there's no way twitter doesn't have a dual share structure to make this impossible like most tech companies

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Endless Mike posted:

"google's motto is 'don't be evil' so they must be a good company" - echi, probably

dont, do evil

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

e: double post!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

there's no way twitter doesn't have a dual share structure to make this impossible like most tech companies

nope

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/opinion/jack-dorsey-twitter-elliot-singer.html
(archive: http://archive.is/BngrR)

quote:

The action by Elliott has been met with shock and horror by many people in Silicon Valley who are agonizing over the possibility that the cult-of-the-founder mentality that keeps tech’s leaders in power is at risk. This week I’ve been on the receiving end of constant can-this-possibly-happen texts and direct messages about the dire situation Mr. Dorsey is in, especially since he is without the protection of a special share structure.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

power botton posted:

they dont ban nazis for inciting violence and hatred but will often ban the people responding to them saying "lol ur dumb I hope you get strapped to a missile and rocketed to the moon" as if its a credible threat. you can argue thats a moderation problem and not directly his issue, but...

you can see from their API they flag nazi accounts and tweets cause its illegal in German law to support the nazis, but don't enforce that in the US or anywhere else.

it's enforced in france, too

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/igorvolsky/status/1265628848164610049

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this is really really troubling. and very visible even on these forums. and the infrastructure to deal with it is incredibly trash pretty much everywhere.