Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
This may or may not be the place for it but is there a single person who has been the “other guy” on a wrestler podcast that was good of their own merit? Roddy Piper had some sycophant who sucked his dick and then Roddy was just being a kindly old man who was happy people still cared, half the podcasts have that Conrad dude who I don’t 100% hate but would never argue is good, and Cornette’s cohost is some fuckin’ guy who has the worst opinions.

What the gently caress? Why are all these podcast guys such poo poo? Is it just that the wrestler needs someone to handle the sound production, they pick someone, and that person is always poo poo?

Maybe Dan Ryckert counts as a good podcaster but that dude is a fuckin’ mess for so many other reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If they were any good they wouldn't be podcasters

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Davros1 posted:

I'd love for someone to do a podcast where they review old SMW shows.

a friend of mine just started one this month. the catch is that it's bonus content on patreon for a a free AEW podcast but i think it's worth it if you're also a fan of that promotion. friendship aside i can certainly assure everyone he's a louisville wrestling podcaster far more worthy of support than the subject of this topic.

https://www.patreon.com/everythingelite

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 27, 2020

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there's no one on the planet who jim cornette respects enough to have around him without sucking him off and who also knows how to do 'podcast stuff' for him

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

rotinaj posted:

This may or may not be the place for it but is there a single person who has been the “other guy” on a wrestler podcast that was good of their own merit? Roddy Piper had some sycophant who sucked his dick and then Roddy was just being a kindly old man who was happy people still cared, half the podcasts have that Conrad dude who I don’t 100% hate but would never argue is good, and Cornette’s cohost is some fuckin’ guy who has the worst opinions.

What the gently caress? Why are all these podcast guys such poo poo? Is it just that the wrestler needs someone to handle the sound production, they pick someone, and that person is always poo poo?

Maybe Dan Ryckert counts as a good podcaster but that dude is a fuckin’ mess for so many other reasons.
I think Conrad Thompson has become a genuinely good podcaster, with his big weakness being that his frame of reference isn't what you'd expect for someone his age from Alabama. I think he's gotten a lot better at knowing when to push back, too, even if it took a bit of time.

Brian Last HAS done good stuff, including with Cornette, but if you take him out of the "bantering or interviewing about old rasslin" context, then he starts mirroring whoever the main host is. And with Cornette, that's very bad.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Brian Last should know better tho.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

davidbix posted:

I think Conrad Thompson has become a genuinely good podcaster, with his big weakness being that his frame of reference isn't what you'd expect for someone his age from Alabama. I think he's gotten a lot better at knowing when to push back, too, even if it took a bit of time.

Brian Last HAS done good stuff, including with Cornette, but if you take him out of the "bantering or interviewing about old rasslin" context, then he starts mirroring whoever the main host is. And with Cornette, that's very bad.

I can only speak for STWW and 83 Weeks but Conrad is pretty good at calling Bruce and Eric out on their horseshit. He's stated outright disgust with Bruce a few times (the Hall/Austin beer incident and the HHH/Booker match were two instances where they got legitimately hot at each other.) Likewise screaming IT WAS FUCKIN DAYTIME ERIC when Bischoff claimed to have been in the ring doing a promo while DX was outside.

If he dropped his lovely predatory mortgage hustle I'd like him a lot more.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Critical posted:

I can only speak for STWW and 83 Weeks but Conrad is pretty good at calling Bruce and Eric out on their horseshit. He's stated outright disgust with Bruce a few times (the Hall/Austin beer incident and the HHH/Booker match were two instances where they got legitimately hot at each other.) Likewise screaming IT WAS FUCKIN DAYTIME ERIC when Bischoff claimed to have been in the ring doing a promo while DX was outside.

If he dropped his lovely predatory mortgage hustle I'd like him a lot more.
Conrad's always done good by me, so I don't want to just nakedly crap on the guy, but...what exactly IS a mortgage broker and why would anyone go to a mortgage broker instead of a bank?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

davidbix posted:

Conrad's always done good by me, so I don't want to just nakedly crap on the guy, but...what exactly IS a mortgage broker and why would anyone go to a mortgage broker instead of a bank?

I looked it up a while ago so I dunno if this info is still valid. He's a one stop financial service place. So instead of trying to get loans from your bank, he can go to a variety of banks to get you a loan. I don't know anything about how he runs the place or if he's any good at it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

davidbix posted:

Not quite the same, but rental brokers are loving scum in NYC because you are absolutely required to use one by law to find an apartment with few exceptions. Which means you have to come up with the first month’s rent, security deposit, and broker fee, which are usually all the same amount. So an apartment at $2000 a month will cost you $6000 to move in and that’s not including your moving costs.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

davidbix posted:

When we first bought our house we used one because they did the legwork of going around to multiple banks and getting quotes/rates. If I were doing it now I'd just go to our bank since we have a relationship with them and likely a preferred rate but we didn't have that kind of credit back then. Some brokers are for sure predatory, maybe even most in the States (I'm in Canada) but ours was fine and didn't cost us anything since they got paid by the lender.

Would I have used my broker if mortgages were a side hustle for arguing with Eric Bischoff though? Probably not.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

coconono posted:

I looked it up a while ago so I dunno if this info is still valid. He's a one stop financial service place. So instead of trying to get loans from your bank, he can go to a variety of banks to get you a loan. I don't know anything about how he runs the place or if he's any good at it.

Some of the ads I heard early on were pushing refinancing for quick cash as well, which is predatory because you're already dealing with broke people desperate for a little wiggle room. As we saw with the housing crisis it can all come down to how moral your lender is.

I don't know if he's still pushing that angle in the current climate because I haven't been doing podcasts lately.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

rotinaj posted:

This may or may not be the place for it but is there a single person who has been the “other guy” on a wrestler podcast that was good of their own merit?

Raven's sidekicks aren't great but their entire job is to try and contain Raven's attention deficit problems, which no sane person with literally anything else to do would sign up for. It's kinda fun listening to him drive them crazy, at least.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I haven't listened to too terribly much of X-Pac's podcast but his co-hosts are all young instead of 50 year old fat white dudes, which helps a lot

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
all of jims favorite wrestlers are in aew now, there's no way he doesn't keep watching

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

What the gently caress is he talking about when he calls wrestlers eggplants

Is that racist like everything else

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I've never heard a person get called an eggplant without it being racist

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 28, 2020

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I’ve never heard anyone get called an eggplant in any context.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I thought he just called Brodie Lee an eggplant? Maybe because he wears purple and he thick.

edit: Nevermind, he doesn't wear purple anymore. I'm dumb as hell.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The_Rob posted:

I’ve never heard anyone get called an eggplant in any context.

Same, that's why I figured it was racist because I don't run in those groups like he does

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

"eggplant" was indeed a racist word used toward black people by certain folk a long time ago. I don't know what the hell cornette means by it and the aforementioned meaning was not used in the south. maybe he heard one of his pedophile friends get real mad about the eggplants one day and thought it sounded like a good general purpose insult. sorry for saying the word while discussing that meaning. I don't know if that sucked really bad of me or not but I was trying to help kind of. i will never say it again

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 28, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cavauro posted:

"eggplant" was indeed a racist word used toward black people by certain folk a long time ago. I don't know what the hell cornette means by it and the aforementioned meaning was not used in the south. maybe he heard one of his pedophile friends get real mad about the eggplants one day and thought it sounded like a good general purpose insult.

To me it sounds like something he 100% knows is racist and will feign ignorance when called on it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cavauro posted:

"eggplant" was indeed a racist word used toward black people by certain folk a long time ago. I don't know what the hell cornette means by it and the aforementioned meaning was not used in the south. maybe he heard one of his pedophile friends get real mad about the eggplants one day and thought it sounded like a good general purpose insult. sorry for saying the word while discussing that meaning. I don't know if that sucked really bad of me or not but I was trying to help kind of. i will never say it again

That was very helpful thanks

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Cavauro posted:

Seems like it's a Sicilian slur for black people made popular by the Sopranos?

This is the first time I've ever heard of this and I've lived in the Deep South my entire life with family literally from Sicily. Heard plenty of the other slurs but never that one. Learn something new (and terrible) every day.

He may have just been using it to describe someone bland because maybe eggplants are bland? Maybe momma Cornette just boiled eggplants to mush when he was a child.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 28, 2020

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It doesn't surprise me that Cornette digs deep for alternatives to the n-word so he can try to get away with saying it constantly

He made outlaw mud show into a t-shirt and though I've never heard that phrase before him (and I grew up in the backwoods) I'm sure that's probably some racist poo poo too

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Unperson_47 posted:

Seems like it's a Sicilian slur for black people made popular by the Sopranos?

This is the first time I've ever heard of this and I've lived in the Deep South my entire life with family literally from Sicily. Heard plenty of the other slurs but never that one. Learn something new (and terrible) every day.

Yeah now that you mention it the only place I've heard it is in mafia movies and possibly Tarantino flicks, never irl.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm pretty sure The Sopranos is why I know about it too

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i knew about it because my user name is my real name, originating in abruzzi e molise.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Further proof of Russo and Cornette being the same person because Russo was quoted as calling people "moolions" in WCW, either because the person who heard the slur couldn't spell it or because Russo couldn't pronounce it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've never heard eggplants used as a racial slur and I did grow up around the equivalent of the cast of Sopranos and heard a lot of slurs but that was never one of them. But like, that doesn't mean it isn't. I ain't that worldly.

The way he seemed to be using it my interpretation was that he was using it like "eggplant is a boring, bland alternative to meat in dishes*" so when someone has no charisma or flavor they're "an eggplant." But I dunno.

*I do not endorse this view. Its just the kind of thing I've heard from others and I could see Cornette thinking given what we know about his diet.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 28, 2020

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Nobody is asking you to try to devil's advocate racism if someone already has a long history of doing the same thing with other awful archaic terms

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's impossible to know that. there are over 1 million people in the world

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Critical posted:

Some of the ads I heard early on were pushing refinancing for quick cash as well, which is predatory because you're already dealing with broke people desperate for a little wiggle room. As we saw with the housing crisis it can all come down to how moral your lender is.

I don't know if he's still pushing that angle in the current climate because I haven't been doing podcasts lately.
The last full podcast I listened to moderated by Conrad Thompson was the STWW episode on Jim Duggan, and I don't recall him plugging his mortgage business anytime during it at all.

I still need to finish the STWW episode on Tito Santana, where Conrad audibly facepalms so to speak whenever Bruce does a mock Mexican accent.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cavauro posted:

it's impossible to know that. there are over 1 million people in the world

You're not wrong but who would defend Jim Cornette that isn't named Jim Cornette

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

CombineThresher posted:

Raven's sidekicks aren't great but their entire job is to try and contain Raven's attention deficit problems, which no sane person with literally anything else to do would sign up for. It's kinda fun listening to him drive them crazy, at least.

UFC great Jens Pulver's sidekicks are basically identical to this, but he does twitch rather than podcasts

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Twitch is speed, right?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I'm just joshing, I know children like watching Nazis play video games now.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

"Outlaw mud show" refers to z-tier wrestling shows put on by promoters who weren't sanctioned by the NWA and were sometimes held outdoors because they weren't wealthy or well-connected enough to secure a building. Cornette conveniently forgets all the state fairs he and the Midnlght Express wrestled in that were essentially the same thing, even though he's mentioned them in shoot interviews before.

Ad by Khad posted:

UFC great Jens Pulver's sidekicks are basically identical to this, but he does twitch rather than podcasts

Is his twitchcast as much of a glorious mess as Raven's podcast? Could such a thing even be possible?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Nobody is asking you to try to devil's advocate racism if someone already has a long history of doing the same thing with other awful archaic terms

I wasn't devil advocating or defending the racist. He's a racist. Maybe its an obscure racist term none of us are familiar with but like while I defend none of Cornette's racism I just took that one on context clues as "bland".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

STAC Goat posted:

I've never heard eggplants used as a racial slur and I did grow up around the equivalent of the cast of Sopranos and heard a lot of slurs but that was never one of them. But like, that doesn't mean it isn't. I ain't that worldly.
there's a famous dennis hopper monologue from true romance where he calls chris walken "part eggplant" after explaining how the moors invaded sicily. it's definitely a pejorative racist word.