Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I always get the Boots of Blinding Speed early because I'm lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Another something is, especially with distant lands, Morrowind isn't terribly big, and its individual biomes aren't super expansive. Now, they are hilly, so it's hard to see from one end to the other, but if you get up somewhere high you can see you're not THAT far away from most of the things that seemed so distant when we had a short draw distance. The very first time I ran distant lands, back when it was being experimented with, I remember seeing the Grazelands--normally this, terrifying, foggy maze of repeating plains--just seeing ALL of the Grazelands in one quick glance and going "Wait, that's it?"

But slow movement speed means, even if you can see Vivec from Seyda Neen, it's long enough of a walk you might want to consider fast travel alternatives. It forces the world to remain large, and you have to earn your shortening of it. I'm going to be so hype when my Alteration's good enough I can just jump across the map freely, it's a goal I have to work towards.

But, again, I am an admitted degenerate who has coordinated outfits for each new day.

no guff if a vet wants to speed it up, either, for sure, after a certain point it's kind of a "leave out what mechanics you don't enjoy". I'm coming back from an 8 year gap so I finally am playing psuedo-blind like I always dreamed of being able to do again, so the slow speed helps with a sense of "wait I dont even remember what's over this hill, let's take a journey and find out."

It also creates a gameplay that hasn't really been in an elder scrolls since: planning out a travel itinerary so you can hit up multiple things in one loop. Which... I struggle to think of a game that's had me do that between Morrowind and Kenshi? Where you have to know your route and objectives before you leave, because once you do backtracking is a pain.

Although I do miss the random encounters of Oblivion/Skyrim to make traveling familiar paths more exciting/surprising. MCA did add some neat bandit encounters, but, good lord I remember I had self-modded it like crazy to get rid of the crazy it came with.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

That's an interesting perspective, I definitely agree with that difficult to nail aspect of "planning a journey" that not many games have.

Piranha Bytes games reliably offer the same experience in relatively small but extremely dangerous worlds.

Dragon's Dogma is an easier and more modern/consoley experience but does the same thing in the early game, the backtracking becomes obnoxious and the world isn't huge, but there's an early sidequest that sends unprepared new players to the far end of the map and leaves you desperately struggling to get back to safety - especially if night falls.

Outward seems like it's entirely made up of this kind of experience but I've yet to play it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I may be alone in this, but I keep having the feeling that Vvardenfell is significantly smaller than Skyrim (they’re pretty close if you mapped them iirc). I feel like part of it is that I ran around the island a lot, often with the boots of blinding speed and often jumping a lot with my very high acrobatics to go even faster so I could attempt to bypass hostile creatures. Since I actually traveled in-game between a lot of places it just ends up shrinking the world in my head since I see the same thing constantly. Probably also partly because a lot of Vvardenfel is the volcano I avoided, plus a bunch of mountains with no reason to visit. Plus the fog making everything just seem kind of small.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

:hai: most games choose to make travel as easy and seamless as possible. Morrowind’s design choice is to make travel hard, a problem to be solved. How do I even get around this hostile land? So many things in the game support that design decision (levitation, travel networks, stamina potions, the difficult mountainous landscape, ash and blight storms, BOBS, mark/recall, how fragile new characters are, azura’s ring being given at the end of the game) that zooming around with modified stats and tons of stamina is to destroy one of the main features of the game.

I mean who cares if you’ve played it tons before but if I saw a new player use it because “walking is slow” I’d scream

The fatigue system is poorly thought out and not fun for old and new players. Getting -50% chance to pick a lock because you used the 'move at a normal pace' option is really dumb and never at all conveyed. The fatigue mechanics are the sole reason for morrowind's "you always whiff swings" meme. Encourage players to engage with things like food and resting by providing an incentive, not completely gutting literally everything. Also maybe make that clear - no one is reading the paper manual in 2020.

Maybe also tell people the ranges on weapons are how much damage you do based on how far into the swing animation you are. People thinking it's a random dice roll doesnt help.

Ps walking is slow. Keep your vanilla game how you want but for most people a faster walk is going to be required.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Maybe also tell people the ranges on weapons are how much damage you do based on how far into the swing animation you are. People thinking it's a random dice roll doesnt help.

Wait, what? Can you elaborate on this?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

hooah posted:

Wait, what? Can you elaborate on this?

When an axe says 1-60 that means if you spam click you do 1 but if you hold it down until the animation is complete you do 60. Daggers have a quick animation and are usually like 5-10 so spamming is better

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

When an axe says 1-60 that means if you spam click you do 1 but if you hold it down until the animation is complete you do 60. Daggers have a quick animation and are usually like 5-10 so spamming is better

Oh, I thought you meant where during the swing animation the blow lands, not how long you "charge" the swing.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

FlocksOfMice posted:

I didn't want to say that sometimes I take a dip in the river Odai because it feels like, well, wouldn't you be gross not taking a bath now and then? I didn't want to say that but it's true, after a rough adventure I will make my character take a bath.

Sometimes in the ashpits, which I imagine are like a nice, hot mudbath. I might have brain problems, it's ok.

that's cool. you're cool.

Skwirl posted:

You're why that bathing mod exists for Skyrim.

that mod exists because one exists for morrowind and its good

flocksofmice, it's called stinkers. it makes npcs not talk to you if you're dirty enough and adds bath houses to a lot of cities and it's fantastic.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Encourage players to engage with things like food and resting by providing an incentive,

Those incentives never really seem to work on me. I see that I'm at 100% of whatever and think that's fine, even if I could be at 120%. If I'm at 80%, suddenly I'm interested in getting closer to 100%.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Morrowind has the most elaborate mechanics that don't matter what so ever after a few levels.

Also it seems the morrowind_txt Twitter shut down. :(

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
How's Rise of House Telvanni? I already installed Uvirith's Legacy and I've read it and RoHT blend well, but it came out around the time I stopped playing. I'm always down for More Things To Do but I worry that it seems to go Very Big? Mods like that always make me wary that they'll have a weirdly different tone from the rest of the game or be poorly balanced, or just... be really intrusive?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Skwirl posted:

You're why that bathing mod exists for Skyrim.

I thought that was more so people could look at their character naked, just with a thin sliver of plausible deniability?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

FlocksOfMice posted:

How's Rise of House Telvanni? I already installed Uvirith's Legacy and I've read it and RoHT blend well, but it came out around the time I stopped playing. I'm always down for More Things To Do but I worry that it seems to go Very Big? Mods like that always make me wary that they'll have a weirdly different tone from the rest of the game or be poorly balanced, or just... be really intrusive?

RoHT primarily functions as a capstone to being named Archmagister and lets you make the *big decisions* you might expect to be able to do when the Nerevarine is made a house leader.

Pros:
- adds high player level content
- is relatively self contained, makes a few cell edits but otherwise only adds new dialogue and locations. If you never played a Telvanni Archmagister you'd never notice it was there.
- fleshes out the faction more
- adds some interesting high level enchanted item rewards
- adds an alternative fast travel teleport system (although frankly by this point if you're a Morrowind veteran playing with mods that's probably nothing exciting for you)

Cons:
- relatively old mod with mediocre level writing IMO including a Mary Sue character
- depending on your decisions can make major changes to 2 parts of the main game You can optionally wipe out / take over the Mages Guild (you can choose not to do this if you are also Archmage though) and you assassinate Duke Vedam Dren and replace him with a puppet as part of its main quest.)

I install it with Uvirith's Legacy and Building up Uvirith's Legacy as part of my Telvanni overhaul trifecta, but it's probably the least essential of the three IMO.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

- depending on your decisions can make major changes to 2 parts of the main game You can optionally wipe out / take over the Mages Guild (you can choose not to do this if you are also Archmage though) and you assassinate Duke Vedam Dren and replace him with a puppet as part of its main quest.)

This is a con?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Rise of House Telvanni is definitely worth a playthrough. It's not great. Some things about it are really cool, but it feels mostly pretty mediocre, given the quality of the writing, which is all just ... fine. Serviceable. Kind of dumb. Probably far from the worst video game writing out there.

But it's a cool Telvanni mod and belongs in the set of Cool Telvanni Mods. It just desperately needs an overhaul of some kind to bring it up to standards. I had a fun time with it.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Is this http://mw.modhistory.com/download-47-11851 the third mod, along with the Uvirith's Legacy linked in the OP? Does it still get along with the newest version of Uvirith's Legacy? Having an entire town seems like a cute goal to work towards.

I'm tempted to skip on Rise of House Telvanni since, honestly, bad writing kills my mood easily, but... honestly I might as well have the option there for if I want it. If it's so bad it takes me out of the game I'll just... mentally gloss over the bad parts, that's fine.

Is there a particular load order with Uvirith's Legacy, Building up Uvirith's Legacy, and Rise of House Telvanni, or is it a free-for-all?

How does MGE's distant land work with these mods? It says RoHT can lead to Telvanni building more settlements, do I have to do a distant land render for when that happens, or do it after installing the mod and the distant statics will appear only when the scripts for the real ones hit?

I think it's funny how Bethesda has tried to bring back the Telvanni flavor in each subsequent game. Oblivion was basically set in Maryland, so for its expansion they bring you to something firmly Morrowind-y with plenty of mushrooms. Skyrim just outright brings the Telvanni back. I feel so bad for Hlaalu and Redoran, they try so hard and some of their aesthetics are neat but they really just can't keep up with giant mushroom tower immortal wizard degenerates.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 26, 2020

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rohts worst sin is some boring intro quests and a bad mary sue character. If you can overlook those it's a mod so ambitious that nothing like it has ever been done since

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rohts worst sin is some boring intro quests and a bad mary sue character. If you can overlook those it's a mod so ambitious that nothing like it has ever been done since
yeah, it's a really impressive mod. I played it (like many others, I imagine) alongside Uvirith's Legacy and the latter is a much more... mature and well-written experience that RoHT does suffer from being its obsessive hyperactive cousin, but if you can gloss over some juvenile writing and general excess, it functions as a really fun and comprehensive capstone to a Becoming The Biggest Wizard Of All Time playthrough

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

FlocksOfMice posted:

I kind of love the movement speed and stamina system. It incentivizes leveling athletics or getting alternate means of travel, makes restore fatigue potions really important, and planning travel routes carefully so you don't have to back-track. And I like the idea that jogging to somewhere means you'll be in bad condition if you run into combat right after a long run. But, quarantine lockdown means I also have a disgusting amount of time I need to kill right now, so that appeals to me. I still forgot how much I missed it from Skyrim, to feel your jumping and running slowly improve over time.

I'm definitely one of the worst kinds of people, though, in that I find a bed to sleep in at least every few nights, change my clothes frequently, have civilian and adventuring outfits, and basically treat the game way too seriously.

same, I change my clothes every so often. Keep my spares in whatever filthy hovel I decide to stash my loot, gotta keep it musty.

Leal posted:

This is why I like Skyrim VR cause I can physically look down and see my clothes and physically grab drinks to drink and also physically fondle the tits of my followers with physics.

They know buddy. The npcs know what mods you're installing.

:hai: most games choose to make travel as easy and seamless as possible. Morrowind’s design choice is to make travel hard, a problem to be solved. How do I even get around this hostile land? So many things in the game support that design decision (levitation, travel networks, stamina potions, the difficult mountainous landscape, ash and blight storms, BOBS, mark/recall, how fragile new characters are, azura’s ring being given at the end of the game) that zooming around with modified stats and tons of stamina is to destroy one of the main features of the game.

I mean who cares if you’ve played it tons before but if I saw a new player use it because “walking is slow” I’d scream

same

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Spent the weekend looking into LGNPC and Djangos. People still ask whether LGNPC is good but I’ve never seen a full review of it, hopefully I can write one up. I like the Djangos approach of only modifying the big topics and there are some nice very Morrowind-esque phrases in there! Could do with proofreading and there are some things which are a matter of taste (cockney thieves? In my Morrowind? Eh...) but I spotted zero dialogs about whores, lesbians or prostitutes, so it’s way ahead of LGNPC in that regard

Djangos doesn’t modify any dialog for the House Redoran topic even though it does for the other two houses... and there are no House Redoran expansion mods on the Nexus... won’t somebody think of the Redorans!?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Djangos doesn’t modify any dialog for the House Redoran topic even though it does for the other two houses... and there are no House Redoran expansion mods on the Nexus... won’t somebody think of the Redorans!?

LGNPC has a Redoran module I think.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vichan posted:

LGNPC has a Redoran module I think.

Yeah it's called pax redoran its probably one of the better modules.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Also it seems the morrowind_txt Twitter shut down. :(

Nah, they're still going.

https://twitter.com/morrowind_txt/status/1265280109725933569?s=20

They did post goatse last week and explained it away as "testing some admin features" though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

Nah, they're still going.

https://twitter.com/morrowind_txt/status/1265280109725933569?s=20

They did post goatse last week and explained it away as "testing some admin features" though
that was fargoth's ring

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
What's going on with OpenMW, it hasn't been updated in a year

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Kamrat posted:

What's going on with OpenMW, it hasn't been updated in a year

it is actively being developed, and it looks like the 0.46 release is being put together

e: no idea what happened to the talks to merge with tesmp

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 27, 2020

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Doc Hawkins posted:

it is actively being developed, and it looks like the 0.46 release is being put together

That's awesome, thanks! :)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

merging with tes3mp relies on them getting their act together

the main openmw person quit shortly a few months after their main graphics dev quit (who melted down when microsoft bought github)

tes3mp has a lot of features waiting on openmw to release, which was supposed to be out a year ago

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

merging with tes3mp relies on them getting their act together

the main openmw person quit shortly a few months after their main graphics dev quit (who melted down when microsoft bought github)

tes3mp has a lot of features waiting on openmw to release, which was supposed to be out a year ago

This is like the ES equivalent of reading about Eve drama, please post more.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

of course, now it all makes sense

what the gently caress

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Guildenstern Mother posted:

This is like the ES equivalent of reading about Eve drama, please post more.

if you're bored on a wednesday afternoon here's the openmw threads from 2018 where the divide between mwse-lua and openmw devs happens

https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5222
https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?t=5436

on team a:
nullcascade, mwse-lua developer

on team b:
lysol and akortunov, openmw developers

openmw's concern was that mwse-lua isn't sandboxed therefore someone could make a mod that DELETES UR COMPOUTER!!!! therefore no null we do not want your help go away. the conversation happened pretty early on in mwse-lua's development, so they could have had it all, but openmw is run by linux weirdos so :shrug:

never forget, openmw was never primarily about providing a better morrowind engine. it was about porting it to linux. that's why there aren't any good features lol

bonus: the prequel to those threads where null (a professional windows software developer) fails to set up the dev environment due to poor/nonexisting documentation and they say "it only took me 8 hours to install the dependencies, that isnt that bad" lol
https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5198

mbt fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 27, 2020

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Yessss programmer drama! I get the complaint about not sandboxing MWSE-lua and it did give me pause when I installed it, but the idea of someone putting a virus in a lua mod for a 20 year old game is laughable.

e: lol

quote:

As far as modern open source game engines go, I think OpenMW is among the most accomplished and respected.

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 27, 2020

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Finally finished the game to my satisfaction. I had to go and free all the slaves after I finished up the main quest (and I skipped the main quest part where you have to give a slave to the ashkhan as a bride loving yikes lol. good thing there's a console).

Fun game, but it's definitely showing its age. The way you engage with the story is just kind of different than a lot of other modern games. Lots of reading and clicking through conversation topics. I wish it marked topics read somehow, whenever I talked to an NPC with a page worth of topics in the latter half I usually just skipped asking about anything since it's just too much to sort through. A lot of the stuff surrounding the combat system is also a bit odd, and the wildlife just throwing themselves at you is grating.

But overall I thought it was fun, having never seriously played it before this spring. I played it with OpenMW and never ran into any bugs, so it's perfect for a mostly-vanilla experience with a few mods and if you're on a non-windows platform.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head, but there's a mod that marks dialog options you've already read grey, and ones related to a quest blue.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

hooah posted:

I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head, but there's a mod that marks dialog options you've already read grey, and ones related to a quest blue.

It's a mwse lua mod, no go for openmw

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Does it work for situations where the same thing would give radically different answers

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Does it work for situations where the same thing would give radically different answers

It highlights unique npc responses you havent yet clicked on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Eeyo posted:

Finally finished the game to my satisfaction. I had to go and free all the slaves after I finished up the main quest (and I skipped the main quest part where you have to give a slave to the ashkhan as a bride loving yikes lol. good thing there's a console).

Fun game, but it's definitely showing its age. The way you engage with the story is just kind of different than a lot of other modern games. Lots of reading and clicking through conversation topics. I wish it marked topics read somehow, whenever I talked to an NPC with a page worth of topics in the latter half I usually just skipped asking about anything since it's just too much to sort through. A lot of the stuff surrounding the combat system is also a bit odd, and the wildlife just throwing themselves at you is grating.

But overall I thought it was fun, having never seriously played it before this spring. I played it with OpenMW and never ran into any bugs, so it's perfect for a mostly-vanilla experience with a few mods and if you're on a non-windows platform.

There's a mod that highlights unique dialogue topics and greys out used topics that's really helpful: UI Expansion. MWSE-lua only though, so not helpful for your OpenMW playthrough.