Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I remember close encounters, it was the one where that one crazy dude had a vision and spent loving ages shaping mud into something that looked like a massive wart then finally proudly proclaimed 'that's it, it is a mountain'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydyy-frH1-U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

The Feyd Rautha avatar really seals the deal with that one.

Have you listened to any Police songs in the modern context?

stinch posted:

it comes across as the arse end of the empire. like some forsaken mall in rural america. irrelevant to the rest of the universe except as a few lines in some corporations spreadsheets.

The Slough/Scranton of the Terran Empire.

Beet Wagon posted:

Look how they massacred my boy.

I think we've discovered the Beet Agenda.

Colostomy Bag posted:

My god, thank you both. Learn something new every day. That sums up Star Citizen in a nutshell.

Same. My employer hates you both for giving me another example of the absurdity of being.

Inacio posted:

minor editing quirks! 15 minutes tops!

<laughing> We'd hate to go beyond the 26th.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

I remember close encounters, it was the one where that one crazy dude had a vision and spent loving ages shaping mud into something that looked like a massive wart then finally proudly proclaimed 'that's it, it is a mountain'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydyy-frH1-U

Jacques Vallee was the guy behind most of it, and CE3K spawned it's own set of conspiracy theories. One of the first cinematic uses of the 'false flag' concept of coverups. It's a pastiche of a bunch of different UFO stories that are altered just enough to avoid copyright claims, and yet gave people the impression that there was solid evidence behind extraterrestrials visiting. The charts would reflect some of this weirdness.

The X-files plugged into that bit of cultural fascination a decade or so later.

Edit: To make the post more interesting;

"The ship was conceived by Steven Spielberg, the film's director and screenwriter. It was made by a team headed by Gregory Jein, using model train parts and other kits. When filmed with special photographic and lighting effects, the model appears to be a huge, hovering craft. Rotating, colored lights underneath the ship added to its effects.
Looking closely at the model, one can find tiny hidden smaller models which are not seen when the Mother Ship appears in the film. These models were added by the model makers as internal "jokes". They include a Volkswagen bus, a submarine, the R2-D2 android, a U.S. mailbox, an aircraft, and a small cemetery plot."

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 27, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Love that there are still elevator doors just flying around everywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEMGlJGRL1o

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Scruffpuff posted:

It would be a hell of a struggle for Ben to sculpt mashed potatoes into a likeness of Crobear before giving up and just eating them all.

Typical CI, doing it the other way round would take almost zero time, since he already looks like a pile of mash.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Of all the people I meet to whom I’ve spruiked about Star Citizen, there are none who share my level of interest, and none who’d know what it meant when I told them if CIG is selling the Hercules A2 this week I’ll be promoted to Grand Admiral

quote:

Goede dag Admiraal. Welkom bij het Chairmans Club hogere rangen, Ruimte Marshall volgende.

My Dutch is very rusty.. was that OK?

One of the really nice things I enjoy about a being a Space Marshall is knowing that I out-rank Gary Oldman and Mark Hamill - try explaining that to people outside!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

What was the name of that stupid exploring ship made for founding colonies that had like six different modules?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Imagine being honored to receive a promotion in a video game because you paid thousands of dollars.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Hav posted:

The Slough/Scranton of the Terran Empire.

Every time without fail when I hear the name Scranton, my brain tells me "That's where Trixie the giraffe necked girl comes from".

I think I'm going mad.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

if i ever spent this much money on a single video game i'd become suicidally depressed

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Popete posted:

Imagine being honored to receive a promotion in a video game because you paid ten thousand dollars.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Frog Act posted:

What was the name of that stupid exploring ship made for founding colonies that had like six different modules?

The Pioneer?

That's the one that's eventually supposed to build structures (lol) on player-owned land (lol)

Or do you mean the Endeavor?

That's the one that is supposed to be a huge fuckoff science ship where half the ship detaches (lol) for exploration, and it can fit a shitload of different modules like space farms (lol) particle colliders (lol) and telescopes (lol) for some as-yet-to-be-described "science" gameplay.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

Well... no, it's still an armistice zone. I don't know why they spam a bunch of tooltips about how to kill people on foot, the closest "Kill people on foot" zone with actual killable NPC's is probably going to be that one security station where you reset your crime stat, but it's a substantial flight away from any spawn point. I think the devs just got so proud of how you can maybe choke somebody now that they forgot that they'd built a game where it's basically impossible to get in a situation where you might ever need to.

Ahh yes of course.

How silly of me to both not realize that and also that there is a way to choke people to death in a game about flying spaceships in space. :j:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Frog Act posted:

if i ever spent this much money on a single video game i'd become suicidally depressed

Like, that's chump change, you don't even get an atta boy letter for so little.

quote:

Mr. Roberts... I don't feel so good... Yes.Here i am. After buying my Javelin its finally happened and i don't know how

Pride and accomplishment. "Wing Commander" means "10k dollars sucker"

Fideles Quoad Decedemus Parpatuos

trucutru fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 27, 2020

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 
This is really depressing thread, I don't understand how it must feel inside to spend $10k on... nothing? Like is he going to print this out and put it on his wall?
Must be mental illness with a lot of these people, I just can not see normal adjusted adults spending money like that. (Even with stuff like gambling at least there is SOME potential pay off).

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Mirificus posted:

One of the really nice things I enjoy about a being a Space Marshall is knowing that I out-rank Gary Oldman and Mark Hamill - try explaining that to people outside!

...Hahahahahaha. Oh my god that’s good. Good on them for being proud they outrank the “paid actors”

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
It's like people who spend thousands on Gacha games because they have pretty artwork.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

The Pioneer?

That's the one that's eventually supposed to build structures (lol) on player-owned land (lol)

Or do you mean the Endeavor?

That's the one that is supposed to be a huge fuckoff science ship where half the ship detaches (lol) for exploration, and it can fit a shitload of different modules like space farms (lol) particle colliders (lol) and telescopes (lol) for some as-yet-to-be-described "science" gameplay.

I want the one with modules the most. I want to do farming, look through my space telescope into player dungeons where people are recording the inevitable consequences of piracy, then top it off by doing some hefty loads of "science".

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Popete posted:

Imagine being honored to receive a promotion in a video game because you paid thousands of dollars.

The fact that people apparently earnestly refer to their stupid spending-related forums titles as a "promotion" is a little chilling to be honest. Like, the more I think about it the more depressing it is.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Popete posted:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WaltherFeng posted:

It's like people who spend thousands on Gacha games because they have pretty artwork.

But at least they are supporting their waifus! One of these days Jalter is going to notice me and be all mean to me!

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I keep thinking about how they put choking people in the spaceship game and laughing

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Deadreak posted:

This is really depressing thread, I don't understand how it must feel inside to spend $10k on... nothing? Like is he going to print this out and put it on his wall?
Must be mental illness with a lot of these people, I just can not see normal adjusted adults spending money like that. (Even with stuff like gambling at least there is SOME potential pay off).
Joys of consumerism. Some people find happiness when they can show off their wealth. Russian oligarchs have gold plated toilet seats, citizens have wood paneled pixels.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Isn't "Fideles Quoad Decedemus" like really bad Latin, too? Like Life Of Brian bad?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Mister xxBigHonkers88xx hereby we grant the title of --Admiral of the Captains of the Super Space Navy-- to you. You can also find an exclusive cactus in your hangar. Thank you very much and don't forget to visit the admiral-exclusive section of our online shop for the latest deals.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

ngl i think spending money on gacha is worse than buying spaceships for a bad game that won't ever come out.

gacha is being stupid and horny, at least with star citizen it's just stupid

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
How would the money laundering angle work with Star Citizen? Buying JPGs and reselling them on the grey market at a loss? If that is effective then ultimately people (not the money launderers) are still legitimately buying jpgs at the same rate, just at slightly discounted price.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

The fact that people apparently earnestly refer to their stupid spending-related forums titles as a "promotion" is a little chilling to be honest. Like, the more I think about it the more depressing it is.

You should copy the idea and have similar titles, based on refund amount, in the refunds sub

From "quitter" into "fudster" and so on all the way up to "cockroach king"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dynastocles posted:

Isn't "Fideles Quoad Decedemus" like really bad Latin, too? Like Life Of Brian bad?

quote:

The company producing the cards claims that the Latin means "Faithful to the End" or ""Faithful until we pass away.", but my rudimentary knowledge of Latin says otherwise. A direct google translation of their phrase is "Faithful to Quitting".

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

I have my Space Marshal certificate framed and hanging on the wall of my office, and when my boss yells at me, I remind them that I outrank them and I tell them to go mop the halls of the my Idris when it’s flight ready in 2025.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You'll be sorry, you'll all be sorry when I'm throwing lavish parties on my 890j and everyone is fawning over how rich and funny and cool I am in the space game and none of you will be invited because the server already has 50 people

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

I did a little sleuthing and looks like it might be closer to [Faithful] [as far as] [we are dying]

loleo (i am loling)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I speak various romance languages and my brain immediately translates that poo poo into "Faithful until we croak", which is the intended message for the poor suckers.

In any case, it is quite inappropriate since it is too close to a wedding vow.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

Like, that's chump change, you don't even get an atta boy letter for so little.

Pride and accomplishment. "Wing Commander" means "10k dollars sucker"

Fideles Quoad Decedemus Parpatuos

so some quick googling and i found this:

hilarious....

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man I'm watching this SpaceX livestream and it's got powerful Star Citizen vibes.

"When we designed Dragon we really wanted it to feel like a 21st century spacecraft"

*cut to slick white and black seating straight out of the 890 Jump*

e:

"All of that sort of future-facing technology and aesthetic is super important"

They've been talking for like ten minutes about how it's super important for the ground support equipment to look futuristic :ohdear:

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 27, 2020

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I'll be honest.
I have no idea what I'm witnessing with this week.
I feel like I need an economist, a psychologist, and a futurist to explain it to me.

I'm watching streamers sing praises and show off poo poo, while watching first time players struggle with basic controls and fighting a hostile software.
I'm seeing a collapse in service and all the while unprecedented funding.
I'm watching a community eat itself to preserve a comfortable normalcy.

Quite simply, I have no idea what I'm witnessing.
Only a chuckling "That's Star Citizen".
It's absolutely loving weird.
There is a convergence of so many contradicting states.
Somebody send a loving poet.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bootcha posted:

I'll be honest.
I have no idea what I'm witnessing with this week.
I feel like I need an economist, a psychologist, and a futurist to explain it to me.

I'm watching streamers sing praises and show off poo poo, while watching first time players struggle with basic controls and fighting a hostile software.
I'm seeing a collapse in service and all the while unprecedented funding.
I'm watching a community eat itself to preserve a comfortable normalcy.

Quite simply, I have no idea what I'm witnessing.
Only a chuckling "That's Star Citizen".
It's absolutely loving weird.
There is a convergence of so many contradicting states.
Somebody send a loving poet.

I'm loathe to say it but I feel like we need to do an ARGcast. This poo poo is wild.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Backed with the $45.00 package back in 2013 for an Aurora LX

Gave my friend a $40.00 package as a gift when his 2nd child was born in 2013. He's 7 now.

Lost my damned mind in 2015 and purchased a jpg of the RSI Orion, because LTI! Never going to fly it. $325.00 i basically set on fire.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

akkristor posted:

Backed with the $45.00 package back in 2013 for an Aurora LX

Gave my friend a $40.00 package as a gift when his 2nd child was born in 2013. He's 7 now.

Lost my damned mind in 2015 and purchased a jpg of the RSI Orion, because LTI! Never going to fly it. $325.00 i basically set on fire.

lmao they still haven't even started making that thing. I mean I bought a Merchantman around the same time so I can't really talk poo poo, but drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

drat thats ugly as poo poo lmao
whats that loving font the cringy latin phrase is written in