Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

oxsnard posted:

have they incinerated the two astronauts yet?

Elon is trying to time it so he gets some extra delta V from the tornado it’s a risky maneuver but if successful will save thousands of dollars in fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
https://streamable.com/kl5lqk

Here he is being asked about what he said to the families. Also about how he pushes the limits.

I think when he says 'saw' he probably saw them through a window lol.

yunichel
Apr 27, 2010
Heck yeah, Betsy Davos... for the kids

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I wanted to blow up those rockets, actually

lol "did you say anything to the families"
'......... I said we've done everything we can... to make sure they come back'

already sounds like Apollo 13 and they're still on the ground

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Just remembered that unlike previous manned vehicles SpaceX has insisted against strong protest by NASA that the vehicle has its propellants loaded while the astronauts are onboard rather than getting the astronauts in after propellant loading, due to the use of densified propellants that can't just sit in the tanks for hours without warming up. Not that it's probably that big of a deal but NASA considered this practice too risky, so I assume they eventually just gave up on their objections.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I hope it goes well so it inflates Musk's ego for a bigger fall later.

People shouldn't die for Musk.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Luckyellow posted:

Lmao holy poo poo at the touchscreens. That doesn't bodes well for today's launch.

I get this gut feeling that the weather is going to take a worse turn, NASA would plan to delay the launch until Elon gets word and do his thing and force the launch to go ahead anyways (It's just bunch of clouds and wind, who cares?) Then we'll see a freak accident while it's in the middle of the launch and we'll see a horrible accident and Elon would just say "the rocket is fine! We just overestimated the risk of the weather " and ain't nobody at NASA would bother to speak up on that.

Lmao gently caress. I would be so pissed off if this comes to be true.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

When does the astronaut vaporizer get turned on?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

lmao i saw that photo online and flat out refused to believe those are the actual controls to fly the drat thing

elon has outmusked himself

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm watching the coverage on Science Channel because I hate myself and it will force me to keep working and LOL that Katy Perry has a more stable teleconference connection than Adam Savage in his space nerd cosplay.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So what happens if it blows challenger style?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Cao Ni Ma posted:

in contact with customer service now, still love the spaceship

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Inshallah, Elon and Trump have a fistfight trying to blame each other.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I hope there aren't any clouds that look like traffic cones

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They'll iron out the kinks later on with a firmware update.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

don't worry, they checked the o-rings

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We regret to inform you that the autopilot interpreted the highway divider as an available lane, also that full self driving does not imply 100% autonomy and it's all the astronauts fault for watching Harry Potter

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

if anything on that spaceship was ‘made in the USA’ it’s going to fail and blowup

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
seeing your family for the last time in a tesla

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Memoryhole it in less than a week.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I was going to tell my kids to watch the launch but they don't need the trauma if it blows up, poo poo's bad enough already lately.

I do miss launches though and would try to drive to the space coast for shuttle launches when I could and watch from a spot in the mangroves across the water from the site, was loud as poo poo

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Cthulu Carl posted:

We regret to inform you that the autopilot interpreted the highway divider as an available lane, also that full self driving does not imply 100% autonomy and it's all the astronauts fault for watching Harry Potter

i think my spaceship knows which way to goooo

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

can't wait for ground control having to explain to major tom his spaceship's bricked itself trying to update the fart app

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

i don't want the astronauts to die but i want this to fail so spectacularly that we stop trying to do public-private partnerships in space (also everywhere else) and if the only way to get there is over charred corpses then give us some charred corpses

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Dustcat posted:

lmao i saw that photo online and flat out refused to believe those are the actual controls to fly the drat thing

elon has outmusked himself

fart_app.exe has stopped responding as the capsule's thrusters refuse to shut off after docking, causing the ISS to deorbit

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

do the astronauts have to pair a phone to fly

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

insert cave johnson quote on senate hearings about missing astronauts here

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

MattO posted:

I was going to tell my kids to watch the launch but they don't need the trauma if it blows up, poo poo's bad enough already lately.

I do miss launches though and would try to drive to the space coast for shuttle launches when I could and watch from a spot in the mangroves across the water from the site, was loud as poo poo

ngl if i was your kid and i missed out on watching a rocket blow up id be super mad at you

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
the rocket blowing up is the best case scenario, if those touchscreen controls don’t perform to spec then Musk could make the Lost Cosmonauts Myth real

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cao Ni Ma posted:

it'll be nasa's fault despite musk's obvious incompetence and they'll lose funding

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

do the astronauts have to pair a phone to fly

only if they want to use the summon mechanism

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Lady Militant posted:

ngl if i was your kid and i missed out on watching a rocket blow up id be super mad at you

my dad was at the orlando airport for a flight and got to see the challenger explosion live and in person

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is it raining?

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

oxsnard posted:

my dad was at the orlando airport for a flight and got to see the challenger explosion live and in person

drat that owns

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MattO posted:

I hope there aren't any clouds that look like traffic cones

bad news

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Dr. Killjoy posted:

the rocket blowing up is the best case scenario, if those touchscreen controls don’t perform to spec then Musk could make the Lost Cosmonauts Myth real

This is what I was wondering about..the calibration goes bad and whoops you hit full thrust and seeya

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oxsnard posted:

did you know big bird was almost on the challenger?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Lady Militant posted:

drat that owns

someone standing next to him was like "oh that must be the stage 1 rockets detaching" and my dad said "no i think the whole thing just blew up"

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Plank Walker posted:

fart_app.exe has stopped responding as the capsule's thrusters refuse to shut off after docking, causing the ISS to deorbit

:lmao: the thought of the app making fart noises as everyone onboard screaming to SHUT THAT loving THING OFF!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Ramadu posted:

This is what I was wondering about..the calibration goes bad and whoops you hit full thrust and seeya

or you know any kind of thrust that rotates or accelerates the ship laterally is going to jostle your arm relative to the screen

i dunno how big those forces are though, so maybe they're small enough that it's just mildly annoying, and not something that they have to grab edge of the screen with their other hand to control