Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
There is a pretty good book I read years and years ago called street law, and it was about how the law actually works on the street vs these bizarre ideas people have about "mah rights" or whatever.

I'm not sure it's still updated, there's a ton of books now called Street Law: blah blah but it was eye opening when I read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

street bill of rights

1st amendment: i can say whatever i want
2nd amendment: i have a gun so you can't stop me
3rd amendment: get out of my house i don't care who you are
4th amendment: don't touch my stuff. don't even look at it
5th amendment: i ain't saying poo poo, try and prove it
6th amendment: shut up and try me. get this over with
7th amendment: no jury will convict me. power to the people
8th amendment: none of that freaky poo poo, just send me to jail
9th+10th: all the other rights are mine too

notably this can also be read as the feeble protests of someone being arrested/locked up

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Legal Questions: are you a lawyer? this doesn't sound right

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Some states have found checkpoints to be unconstitutional so it depends where you are.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Let's say a contract of some kind is written up and needs signed. In the contract the name of the person who needs to sign it is misspelled, like Stewart instead of Stuart, but is signed anyway. Does that misspelled name have any impact on the contract at all?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A name misspelling would be an issue if it somehow changed the material terms of the agreement. However a typo of that sort normally would not. Usually in those cases the party crosses out the misspelling and rewrites it in pen

A memorandum of agreement will have more information regarding a party than just their name anyway

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

CongoJack posted:

Let's say a contract of some kind is written up and needs signed. In the contract the name of the person who needs to sign it is misspelled, like Stewart instead of Stuart, but is signed anyway. Does that misspelled name have any impact on the contract at all?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrivener#Doctrine_of_%22scrivener%27s_error%22

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

I would prefer not to recognize this doctrine

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Devor posted:

I would prefer not to recognize this doctrine

:golfclap:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How many of you lawyery types aspire to be judges? How many of you are likely to succeed?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you include ALJs and arbitrators as judges there are actually lots of positions

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sure. I'm curious as to whether it's like, "the next step" for lawyers who aspire to lawyerly greatness, or more of an unusual prospect that only a minority of lawyers would even want to do. I suppose "become partner at the big law firm" is another lawyer-life-goal but those seem like they might be even rarer than judge jobs?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

euphronius posted:

If you include ALJs and arbitrators as judges there are actually lots of positions

Unemployment compensation offices are probably hiring

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Being a judge is good because they have no clients* and no billable hours. They control their hours of work and schedule. It’s harder because writing opinions can be a bit of a different task than pure advocacy and many times (especially for ALJs) they have no staff at all. Also some ALJs (social security) are completely slammed all the time and micromanaged and that is a horror show.

They are great jobs tho overall from what I can tell

*arbitrators technically work for the parties I guess

(I work with ALJs and arbitrators it’s what I know mostly unless we are doing appeals lmao and appeals judges are probably the best jobs in the world)

euphronius fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 28, 2020

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

We have mandatory arbitrations here (Washington state), who wind up largely being plaintiffs' tort attorneys picking up work on the side (it's low but reliable income). Kind of wasteful for the most part, honestly, because they almost always find for the plaintiff for waaaaaaaaayyyyyy more than they're going to get at trial, so it usually ends up getting de novo'd (and then settled before actual trial).

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 28, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

We have mandatory arbitrations here (Washington state), who wind up largely being plaintiffs' torte attorneys picking up work on the side (it's low but reliable income). Kind of wasteful for the most part, honestly, because they almost always find for the plaintiff for waaaaaaaaayyyyyy more than they're going to get at trial, so it usually ends up getting de novo'd (and then settled before actual trial).

I did that starting out too

I guess I was referring to the binding arbitration people you get from AAA

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

How many of you lawyery types aspire to be judges? How many of you are likely to succeed?

if you're a conservative and willing to put in the about ten years of federalist society trolling to ensure you've burnt your bridges with everyone else, and have a pulse, you can get an appeals court seat

anyone else, you're aspiring to maybe a magistrate judge position or a bankruptcy judge position unless you've got hella connections and credentials

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

CongoJack posted:

i wish this was true since MOHELA has never once spelled my name correctly

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

evilweasel posted:

if you're a conservative and willing to put in the about ten years of federalist society trolling to ensure you've burnt your bridges with everyone else, and have a pulse, you can get an appeals court seat

anyone else, you're aspiring to maybe a magistrate judge position or a bankruptcy judge position unless you've got hella connections and credentials

What about all those elected judge positions? Can't you just wait for your local county judge to retire or die, and then run for the new seat... or, I guess of the 300 people who will bother to vote for a judge, most of them will vote for whoever the political connections/local bar/poo poo local newspaper endorses, yeah?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

What about all those elected judge positions? Can't you just wait for your local county judge to retire or die, and then run for the new seat... or, I guess of the 300 people who will bother to vote for a judge, most of them will vote for whoever the political connections/local bar/poo poo local newspaper endorses, yeah?
From what I've read, the two biggest advantages in running for judgeships most places are being at the top of a ballot, and having a white-sounding name. Judicial elections are generally awful.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The hard part of those is usually the primary. That is normally the contested part. But you have to campaign for the general too if you win the primary. Campaigning twice is very hard and expensive

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IIRC here in california the judges don't list a party and there's no primary, but probably it's different in every state I guess.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Leperflesh posted:

IANAL, but my father was a small town lawyer. I asked him if he ever wanted to be a judge. He laughed and said no. He'd be too tempted to throw all the lovely attorneys in jail.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Leperflesh posted:

Lmfao elected judges

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Keep in mind trying to unseat an incumbent judge is hard and if you lose you will never get a fair shake from that judge again (or from the other judges s/he’s friends with). So realistically, only open seats (judge retires, runs for appellate seat, etc.) are ever really available.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Is 'ran against the judge in an election' a sufficient conflict of interest to require a different judge or lawyer?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you file that motion and it’s denied what then. Hmmm?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Foxfire_ posted:

Is 'ran against the judge in an election' a sufficient conflict of interest to require a different judge or lawyer?

No.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

If you file that motion and it’s denied what then. Hmmm?

I've seen that firsthand. It ends up at the appellate court via a request for writ of mandamus.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

Lmfao elected judges

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
So, in my county the school board is a corrupt joke and after paying out the nose for a computer system that never worked correctly it turns out the person who selected that company has personal ties and they pretty much immediately retire.

So here's the question: when people gently caress up real bad in a way that can't be ignored, they always seems to retire or take leave. Does this serve as some part of a legal defense or is it 'Id better lay low because everyone hates me right now'?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

sleepy.eyes posted:

So, in my county the school board is a corrupt joke and after paying out the nose for a computer system that never worked correctly it turns out the person who selected that company has personal ties and they pretty much immediately retire.

So here's the question: when people gently caress up real bad in a way that can't be ignored, they always seems to retire or take leave. Does this serve as some part of a legal defense or is it 'Id better lay low because everyone hates me right now'?

There's lots of different reasons and contexts, but none are a legal defense to individual prosecution of the bad actor. Once they've committed the bad act, it makes no difference that they immediately resigned. Generally reason #1 is as you said, "Time to dip out of the spotlight and see if public attention will move on to something else."

The broader issue, particularly when they're part of a board like the school board, or a board of directors, or whatever, is that its much harder to get anything done if that person just sits there and doesn't budge. It invites protests and disruptions of activity, dominates the board's agenda, creates mistrust and angst between board members, and prevents the board's constituency from wanting the board to deal with anything else until they've dealt with that person.

If its a board member or officer of a corporation, remaining at your post invites legal action from shareholders to have you removed, which is a drain on resources. In the context of a city (or school board) you may have censure votes (like impeachments) dominating your monthly meetings, and citizens petitioning to speak at every open meeting until they're blue in the face.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

sleepy.eyes posted:

it's an institutional defensive strategy like a lizard shedding its tail. "look the problem is gone" and business can continue as usual. usually whoever's taking a fall/leaving has a pretty sweet compensation package waiting for them

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sleepy.eyes posted:

Corruption isn't illegal in the U.S., so they can't be prosecuted, and the only way to do anything to hold them accountable is to fire them; you can't fire them if they've already retired.

See Kelly v. United States, 590 U.S. 18-1059 (2020)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If someone were to buy a house in MA right now, and took possession of the house with a mechanic currently renting the garage on a month-to-month basis, and the mechanic renting the garage says they are only using it to work on cars and not living there, can the owner give a 30 day notice to vacate during COVID?

The person renting the garage actually said "yeah, I'm not living here, go ahead and bring me a 30 day notice to vacate on Monday so we have it in writing". Want to make sure someone's not walking into a trap where the renter sneaks a mattress into the garage and the new owner gets hosed by the state.

edit: also there's no registered business there or anything either, the guy had a verbal contract with the previous owners that he's renting it as storage.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 30, 2020

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

If someone were to buy a house in MA right now, and took possession of the house with a mechanic currently renting the garage on a month-to-month basis, and the mechanic renting the garage says they are only using it to work on cars and not living there, can the owner give a 30 day notice to vacate during COVID?

The person renting the garage actually said "yeah, I'm not living here, go ahead and bring me a 30 day notice to vacate on Monday so we have it in writing". Want to make sure someone's not walking into a trap where the renter sneaks a mattress into the garage and the new owner gets hosed by the state.

edit: also there's no registered business there or anything either, the guy had a verbal contract with the previous owners that he's renting it as storage.

Assuming there are no COVID-19 restrictions on non-renewal of non-residential rentals, check with your lawyer about whether someone could just put that in the notice to vacate "Understanding that this is not a residential rental covered by [city/county/state's] COVID-19 protections, blah blah blah"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
In my state judges are appointed. The best way to become a judge is to to be related to a legislator.

We also don't require a law degree to be a magistrate judge, just a college diploma. One judge I regularly appear before is a former cosmetologist. One of her regular clients was a state senator.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There isn’t any different between elected and appointed judges

Carillon
May 9, 2014

euphronius posted:

There isn’t any different between elected and appointed judges

Two letters surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One judge I regularly appear before is a former cosmetologist. One of her regular clients was a state senator.

So how much better than the law degree judges is she? I'm gonna guess she's at least twice as good a judge.