Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Concentrating on the dog violence is a bit funny to me. (I haven't watched said violence, the human torture was enough for me)

If Game of Thrones had stuck the landing, you'd be able to flay your enemies in at least two games by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

My first PSPOOR close call!

Booted it up tonight to a blank blue screen. Hard lock, full fan. No sound, no controller input. No response from front buttons. Reluctantly pull the plug.

Plug back in. Hit power on console, beep, nothing happens. Wait a second and try again. Hit power, console boots to safe mode. Half-way through safe mode disk check an interrupt warning comes up that says to plug in a controller. I plug in and hit PS button to activate, then a box comes up and says please insert a USB drive with software 7.5 or above to continue. wth

I back out, system powers off automatically. :ohdear:

I press disc eject and the system powers on again, spews disc. Into safe mode again, checking disk, successful. Powers off automatically. :ohdear:

Powers on automatically. PS logo :sweatdrop: Notifications say there's new firmware 7.51, cannot be downloaded. :wtf: Weird, I have this stuff set to manual install, did it try to bypass that? I try to redownload, fail. I delete the notification and then try again. Successful download. Manually activate firmware update. Success.

Everything's....fine?

CMON, PAUPERSTATION! YOU CAN DO IT! 4 MORE MONTHS! :blastu:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Are any of the NFS games on PS4 worth playing?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm glad their commitment to graphic violence extends to Ellie, who can take rifle shots and shrug them off as if they were mosquito bites.

It's a video game. Any injury incurred by the main character outside of a cut-scene isn't cannon.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

METAL MAX Xeno

How is it?

Also: GOD WARS Future Past

Anyone?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

It's a video game.

You wouldn't think so, given all the hand-wringing in this thread

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Booted it up tonight to a blank blue screen. Hard lock, full fan. No sound, no controller input. No response from front buttons. Reluctantly pull the plug.

Plug back in. Hit power on console, beep, nothing happens. Wait a second and try again. Hit power, console boots to safe mode. Half-way through safe mode disk check an interrupt warning comes up that says to plug in a controller. I plug in and hit PS button to activate, then a box comes up and says please insert a USB drive with software 7.5 or above to continue. wth

I press disc eject and the system powers on again, spews disc. Into safe mode again, checking disk, successful. Powers off automatically. :ohdear:

Powers on automatically. PS logo :sweatdrop: Notifications say there's new firmware 7.51, cannot be downloaded. :wtf: Weird, I have this stuff set to manual install, did it try to bypass that? I try to redownload, fail. I delete the notification and then try again. Successful download. Manually activate firmware update. Success.

Everything's....fine?

cherish every single second friendo

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is the first Uncharted game as bad as everyone says? It got great reviews for the time but retroactively people seem to say it was pretty bad.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is the first Uncharted game as bad as everyone says? It got great reviews for the time but retroactively people seem to say it was pretty bad.

Nerds only understand binary. If something isn't absolutely great it sucks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Skip it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I haven't played Xeno, but haven't ever seen it mentioned favorably. It's getting a remake/master that'll make it real time, but that looks pretty crap as well.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

The fights were extremely frustrating, it’s one of the few games that had me yelling at the TV after yet another bullshit death followed by a taunt from some VA doing a terrible knockoff Madame Cleo accent.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

punk rebel ecks posted:

Play it on the new below easy setting for context. Hasn't aged well but it's short.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think it's good fun, if a very simple experience compared to the following games. The problem is it was made before people figured out how to make third person shooting not feel terrible. It's probably worth putting it on the easiest difficulty and ploughing through the combat if you want a short dumb treasure hunting adventure.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m glad I grew up on a steady diet of death metal album art.

Jokes on me though I’m PS4less and not sure if I’ll be able to even play TloU2 for a long time :smith:

Even if I planned to buy a new one asap it’s surprising how unavailable Pros are around the Internet.

drat I’m sorry, that’s really unfortunate. Iv don’t know if you’re planning on getting a PS5 at launch, but I’d donate mine to a fellow PS4 thread goon when the PS5 launches as I don’t know anyone irl who doesn’t already have one who would make good use of it.

Speaking of that game, I’m kinda torn on whether or not to get it right now, as I never finished the first because of a few reasons, I already knew the story from that Troy Baker and Nolan North LP, and it just felt a little awkward to me simply because I suck at stealth games, even thought it shouldn’t be that bad judging from what I did play and what I’ve seen, I think I was just being dumb and not being patient or playing correctly during the bit I gave up on.

But from what you guys have seen in the official gameplay demos and comparing that with the first game, does it look kind of similar but with fancier animations and AI? Or is it completely overhauled, because I thought the latter was the case and it looks really fun. I’m reinstalling the first game rn just to see if it’s as tricky as I remember it being, because I feel silly buying a sequel to a game I didn’t beat, and for $60. But also, I very much want to see what has made the shittiest video game YouTube guys all freak out, or feign outrage go make their audiences freak out, like that alone makes it tempting to get but the first gameplay demo still looks so good and unlike any other ND style game, or game in this ‘genre’ and that’s actually the reason why I want to get it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imhotep posted:

I feel silly buying a sequel to a game I didn’t beat, and for $60.

Me buying Sekiro 2 the day it comes out

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Me buying Sekiro 2 the day it comes out

Let me guess, the final boss?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Let me guess, the final boss?

Yupppp.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The videos on YouTube showing all the MK fatalities in a row definitely go past my limit, as someone not usually grossed out by videogame violence. The frequency is obviously much smaller during actual gameplay, though.

But to this day I remember Manhunt being way, way too much. It was extremely gruesome and sadistic game, some of the executions were just insane.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Nerds only understand binary. If something isn't absolutely great it sucks.

Top Gun taught me that there's no points for second best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqDYSs7ostQ

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's not that UC1 is bad. It was good for it's time and the story is still pretty fun. But it's heavily outclassed by all of it's sequels. There's no glaring reason not to play it if you are looking for the full experience, but it's also generally considered nbd to skip it if you aren't in the mood to play a 13 year old game to kick off the series.

jfc 13 years. I feel old.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm on a kick of randomly playing free PS+ games I ignored until now and.....Borderlands 2 is terrible? Like I'd heard the plot was grating, and it is, but even the gunplay is noticeably bad? Enemies barely react to being shot than when they die they have a limp PS2 era falling over animation. Tomb Raider has noticeably better gunplay. This FPS feels worse at making shooting guys fun than a game where combat is the weakest part. What the gently caress

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm on a kick of randomly playing free PS+ games I ignored until now and.....Borderlands 2 is terrible? Like I'd heard the plot was grating, and it is, but even the gunplay is noticeably bad? Enemies barely react to being shot than when they die they have a limp PS2 era falling over animation. Tomb Raider has noticeably better gunplay. This FPS feels worse at making shooting guys fun than a game where combat is the weakest part. What the gently caress

The entire series is total dogshit and I have no idea how it got so popular. I think it really captured the reddit-y meme zeitgeist of the early to mid 2000s, which is absolutely the worst comedy of all time. It's so so bad.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Everything's....fine?

Exactly this happened to me too on a slim, on the same day, so I bet the new update just fucks up ps4s randomly. I just installed the update from a USB stick like it said and it was fine again, weird!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Reports online of that new update loving Playstations up yeah. Be careful!

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I'd definitely play Uncharted 1 and 2 on easy mode just for the story and cool stuff you get to see. It's also cool to see what Naughty Dog could get away with on games that were designed for a PS3.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The entire series is total dogshit and I have no idea how it got so popular. I think it really captured the reddit-y meme zeitgeist of the early to mid 2000s, which is absolutely the worst comedy of all time. It's so so bad.

It was the first and only looter shooter for years. It was pretty fun at the time tbh. The shooting itself was never considered more than serviceable even when it came out.

I'll still take Borderlands over Destiny any day of the week but that isn't a high hurdle to clear.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
UC1 is worth playing just to experience how stark of an improvement UC2 is.

I thought UC1 was ok, but the combat gets so repetitive and the fights just go on and on for so long. The gameplay has never been the main draw of those games, and UC1 has the worst gameplay, least impressive set-pieces, and worst story / characterization of the series.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Friendly Fire posted:

It's also cool to see what Naughty Dog could get away with on games that were designed for a PS3.

TLOU on PS3 was absolutely mind-blowing. That and MGSV: Ground Zeroes were the last games I played before I got a PS4 and I kept thinking "How can games look better than this?!"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

UC1's main appeal, beyond having really nice looking graphics for the time was having a story that was coherent enough that it was sort of enjoyable in an era where video game stories were so bad that I generally barely knew why I was doing anything in a game, and resented every cutscene or bit of exposition.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

veni veni veni posted:

It was the first and only looter shooter for years. It was pretty fun at the time tbh. The shooting itself was never considered more than serviceable even when it came out.

I'll still take Borderlands over Destiny any day of the week but that isn't a high hurdle to clear.

Look I'm not gonna defend Destiny but if I punch or shoot an enemy in Destiny hard enough to kill them their head pops off with like a sick crunch or something

But when I do it in Borderlands 2 they just kinda lazily fall forward as the damage number comes up

Even Fallout 3 got this one right

I feel like 'make shooting stuff look cool' should be #1 priority when designing an FPS

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

veni veni veni posted:

UC1's main appeal, beyond having really nice looking graphics for the time was having a story that was coherent enough that it was sort of enjoyable in an era where video game stories were so bad that I generally barely knew why I was doing anything in a game, and resented every cutscene or bit of exposition.

The attention to detail is pretty nuts in parts too. I spent 10 minutes or so in the first Uncharted just playing around with the water tech they used on Nathan Drake's clothes, getting them wet to the water level while staying dry above that. That's poo poo that most modern AAA Devs wouldn't bother with even today.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Look I'm not gonna defend Destiny but if I punch or shoot an enemy in Destiny hard enough to kill them their head pops off with like a sick crunch or something

But when I do it in Borderlands 2 they just kinda lazily fall forward as the damage number comes up

Even Fallout 3 got this one right

I feel like 'make shooting stuff look cool' should be #1 priority when designing an FPS

If there is any reason I look sort of fondly at Borderlands and have a hate boner for Destiny, it's the structure of all of it. Obviously Destiny literally looks 10 times better than Borderlands, the shooting is way better, the style is better... But I just hate playing it because it feels like an awful MMO clusterfuck all of the time. It's the embodiment of my most hated game features. I can just play through Borderlands like a normal campaign and it's got a nice amount of variety and I can just play through it once and it's a pretty competent campaign. Destiny just feels like a boring dead world made of arenas for people to grind in endlessly.

And the humor is pretty dumb and low brow, but some of the jokes can be pretty funny sometimes and the writing is entertaining enough I'll actually listen to it, unlike Destiny which is just so boring I completely zone out. I feel like a lot of the absolute vitriol towards BL's writing is mostly just people being snobs.

I'm not a Borderlands superfan or anything but it's pretty much the only thing in the genre that I don't actively dislike playing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Borderlands 1 and 2 eventually ended up becoming free on Xbox Gold and I picked them up there and both times I eventually quit because I was so late in playing them that no one was online at the time and playing the game solo was just fighting kamikazee monsters or monsters, robots and people who've got the aim of Robocop all the time while your shields are made of oreos.

Name two memes in borderlands

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Name two memes in borderlands

https://borderlands.fandom.com/wiki/Borderlands_2_pop_culture_references#Memes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Goons poo poo their pants when Johnny five aces shows up in New Vegas, but omg this game has a Bruce Lee quote in it. I am above this dumb meme bullshit.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah it wasn't the poo poo humour or lack of any real action for lengthy amounts of time trudging through areas that got to me. It was just how lovely all the guns felt. It's an FPS where virtually everything you use to shoot with feels awful and like you say, have little effect on what you're shooting bar plinking numbers off them.

For a game series that started off with such a woody for guns and amount of them in it, they didn't really seem to spend much time trying to make the shooting fun.

*edit: someone will be along shortly to tell us we're wrong though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*edit: someone will be along shortly to tell us we're wrong though

Nah I don't think anyone actually thinks the shooting in BL2 is that great.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I kind of liked the pre sequel. Although I played that one before Borderlands 2. I was completely lost as to why we were doing the things we were doing until I realized that we were the bad guys.

I dislike the gameplay because it either feels like enemies are bullet sponges or you completely destroy them with no middle ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Nah I don't think anyone actually thinks the shooting in BL2 is that great.

BL3 improved the shooting but made most of the rest worse.