Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Not really, Terraria was the explicitly billed as a 2D Minecraft competitor with more RPG elements. You could argue it's become more than that, but I think it's fair to group the 2 games into a similar category.

They have similar terrain systems and they both have (dissimilar) crafting mechanics. Even these similarities kind of fade away in light of the fact that one is 2D and third person and the other is 3D and first person, so while the way you interact with the world in each game is similar in theory, in practice it is two completely different experiences.

Other than that I can’t think of much they have in common. The combat has a very different feel between games, exploration is completely different due to the different perspectives, the progression system is way different, NPCs are super important in Terraria and super not in Minecraft. I could go on, but as someone who has played a heck of a lot of both, I am confident in saying that they have little in common beyond the surface-level similarities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Ariong posted:

They have similar terrain systems and they both have (dissimilar) crafting mechanics. Even these similarities kind of fade away in light of the fact that one is 2D and third person and the other is 3D and first person, so while the way you interact with the world in each game is similar in theory, in practice it is two completely different experiences.

Other than that I can’t think of much they have in common. The combat has a very different feel between games, exploration is completely different due to the different perspectives, the progression system is way different, NPCs are super important in Terraria and super not in Minecraft. I could go on, but as someone who has played a heck of a lot of both, I am confident in saying that they have little in common beyond the surface-level similarities.

The point of my original post is that Minecraft should have more stuff. Minecraft has tons more money anyway and very little stuff compared to Terraria

Minecraft should have like 200 different weapons, 20 armor tiers, 150 types of enemies, at least 30 types of bosses.

In minecraft the nether should be super dangerous and I should be going there to gather rare and valuable materials from difficult enemies. Those materials should then be used to make rare and powerful and useful items.

Terraria was pretty much founded on ideas posted all over the early minecraft forums of things that should be in minecraft but was never added.

Minecraft has this thing where there's zero relation between how difficult something is to get or make and how useful it is. You can make iron doors for you castle but they're no more blast proof than a wooden door. You can get diamond weapons and armor but there's nothing to fight using them that aids your "progress"

You could argue that it's cheaper to make stuff for Terraria but that doesn't account for the value of minecraft itself compared to the pitiful amounts invested in adding more stuff.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I bought Minecraft years ago and every time I try to play it, I lose interest about two hours in because the worlds that the game generates are so empty and barren that there's no reason to do anything, and the game does not create any context that makes doing things worthwhile. I dig out a house and start building, maybe do something like turn some sand into glass and make an underwater glass room or something. Then... what? Nothing interesting is gonna swim by to look at, there's nothing in the game that reacts to any of the buildings that get made. There's just not very much going on in the game at all besides the novelty of the world generator. I could spend a huge amount of time getting different colors of wool or something, but that sucks.

Dwarf Fortress looks like the code from the Matrix and has unbelievable problems with its user interface (these UI problems really have nothing to do with the complexity of the game's systems - there definitely could be a world with a version of Dwarf Fortress where you don't practically need to use third-party software to manage your units' labors) but it's just crammed full of stuff in comparison to Minecraft. The worldgen creates civilizations, generates hundreds of years of history between them, along with thousands of historical figures. In fortress mode, every dwarf has its own individual personality modeled. Materials even have freezing and melting points. When I watch videos from people like Kruggsmash and they go into the history of their dwarven civilizations and all that, I can't tell the difference what the game generates and what (if anything) is fabricated by the video maker. It's got bugs and something like that is probably only possible with a game that's entirely based on simple text/tile graphics, and even then it's still massively inaccessible. But it feels like such a stark contrast to Minecraft where you only have the most incredibly basic level of interaction with the generated environment.

But I'm pretty sure the truth is that Minecraft became a massive, runaway success without deep systems so there doesn't seem to be any desire by the devs to really deepen the experience.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ErrEff posted:

Don't know how popular YMS is on here (I suspect he's not, and I admit I don't always like his takes on things) but he finally posted a 2 hour and 27 minute deep-dive (edited down from approximately 3000 minutes of Kimba footage) into the "Disney ripped off Kimba the White Lion" controversy, filled with comparisons from individual episodes and recaps of storylines. The first 10-15 minutes would've been enough to fully end the argument once and for all but then he just keeps going.

I'm only an hour into it but it's been a wild ride so far. Not at all what I expected going into it - that Kimba franchise is something else. As an example, Kimba inexplicably keeps the corpse of his father around and goes on adventures with it in multiple episodes in one of the series. Nobody ever thinks this is strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5B1mIfQuo4

Kimba is a lot more insane and ludicrous than I could have ever imagined. I sure didn't expect one of its two primary recurring themes to be white supremacy :psyboom:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I only watched the first 15 minutes but I was like :stare: at the Simba name part. I actually had no idea there was a history of lions named Simba going WAY back.

I've never taken the claims that The Lion King ripped of Kimba seriously, but ErrEff is right that the first part of the video is basically enough to put the argument to rest on its own.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

I'm an hour in and putting Simba aside it turns out everything about Kimba is actually just increasingly :stare:

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 28, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
IIRC, Tezuka's claim that his art was inspired by Disney doesn't actually hold up. I don't remember where I saw it now, but there was an article a while back that showed that his art-style was common in the manga of his contemporaries and predecessors well before Disney became big in Japan. Tezuka was an egotistical snob, though, and would far prefer to acknowledge a world-famous American company as his inspiration than any of his fellow Japanese artists.

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

Nevermind

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ErrEff posted:

Don't know how popular YMS is on here (I suspect he's not, and I admit I don't always like his takes on things) but he finally posted a 2 hour and 27 minute deep-dive (edited down from approximately 3000 minutes of Kimba footage) into the "Disney ripped off Kimba the White Lion" controversy, filled with comparisons from individual episodes and recaps of storylines. The first 10-15 minutes would've been enough to fully end the argument once and for all but then he just keeps going.

I'm only an hour into it but it's been a wild ride so far. Not at all what I expected going into it - that Kimba franchise is something else. As an example, Kimba inexplicably keeps the corpse of his father around and goes on adventures with it in multiple episodes in one of the series. Nobody ever thinks this is strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5B1mIfQuo4

Holy poo poo Kimba is loving wild.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I generally side-eye any video that's longer than 40 minutes these days unless it's Noah Caldwell-Gervais. You're not Ken Burns.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The "point" of the video is basically done after ~20 minutes. Then about an hour and half of it is exploring just how bizarre Kimba is. The remaining bit of the video is exploring how "rip off" is completely overused by people. It definitely is overlong, and he repeats himself, but I found it pretty enjoyable. Quarantine life adjusts one's expectations...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's a bit belabored but hey, it's interesting to see what the gently caress a Kimba is.

I mean, we watch Hbomberguy, we should be used to stuff that's ~a bit belabored~

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The video could definitely be tightened in several places but Kimba being just that batshit forgives many faults.

And Kimba very much does seem to be just that batshit.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man, just skimming through that video brought memories back. I definitely remember that bit about Kimba carrying around his dad's hide and at least the poacher character I remember, too. Now I wonder how much of the series got localized into German back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o5Coa7ZgV4

A part of my childhood, right there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I didn't realize I'd watched a chunk of Kimba as 'Leo the Lion' on some weirdly early timeslot only a seven year old would choose to be up at.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's extremely weird that kimba's dad's hide still has eyeballs after years and years being dragged around

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Libluini posted:

Man, just skimming through that video brought memories back. I definitely remember that bit about Kimba carrying around his dad's hide and at least the poacher character I remember, too. Now I wonder how much of the series got localized into German back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o5Coa7ZgV4

A part of my childhood, right there.

yeah. that whole video makes me want to watch the show now. or at least the one with the one armed man killing loving jaguiars.

also this is a show i remeber from my hospital days. also there is one about like a clay something with a tail but he doesnt have a tale. idk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX7B3lFgKW0

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Yeah I love Tezuka but he made some weird decisions. My favorite is still that Dororo sets up this story about Hyakkimaru having to fight 40 demons to get his body back, and then after like 4 demons I guess Tezuka got bored and went "and yeah he went on and did that stuff later" and the series ends.

Sometimes it's great though, like how Blackjack kidnaps the people responsible for his death, puts them on an island filled with landmines, and flawlessly repairs them with his magic surgery skills after their horrific, explosion related injuries just to make a point.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I watched an interesting video by Comic Tropes about early colouring techniques and one of the problems with modern digitalisation used by comic book companies for their apps. I had no interest in the subject before clicking it but found it very engaging, it even included some neat information on the colourist who worked on a lot of Alan Moore's comics who gets overlooked and the original western release of Akira.

Unfortunately I can't link it because the guy apparently made a mistake and uploaded the wrong draft of the video which failed to credit a major source for his information. So he's took it down and made an apology video instead, while he waits for the source to get back to him about if he's okay with a corrected and updated video being uploaded in its place.

here's the explainer vid he's just uploaded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqrTe1MIjf8

It's a shame, the ending of the vid showed he was really enthusiastic about covering the topic, but its a welcome change to respond and address issues. Hope the vid can be re-uploaded soon.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
I know colonialism and racism aren't exclusive to the west, but man are those some western depictions of colonialism and racism in that Japanese anime from the 60s.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
SF Debris tries and fails by his own admission to review Dragon Ball Z: History of Trunks.

It is entertaining watching an outsider perspective take, because it does put into context just how drat weird DBZ is for people not already willing to take it as it happens.

Also I guess Chuck has been plowing through his backlog given that he's mentioned the pandemic.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Nuns with Guns posted:

Patrick H Willems has also put out a video about the recent Little Women movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeS1adR-lfI

I really like these highly specific videos Patrick does about Little Women adaptations or the Hunt for Red October or the like. His most successful videos are on broader topics but focusing in on more specific topics guarantees a fresher video instead about talking about Marvel or Star Wars for the gazillionth time

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

SF Debris tries and fails by his own admission to review Dragon Ball Z: History of Trunks.

It is entertaining watching an outsider perspective take, because it does put into context just how drat weird DBZ is for people not already willing to take it as it happens.

Also I guess Chuck has been plowing through his backlog given that he's mentioned the pandemic.

Sometimes I'm just not sure what people expect of Chuck when they give him stuff outside of his wheelhouse.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

DrVenkman posted:

I generally side-eye any video that's longer than 40 minutes these days unless it's Noah Caldwell-Gervais. You're not Ken Burns.

If you want an abridged version, Yesterworld's video from last year on the same compare/contrast between Kimba and The Lion King comes to the same conclusions as that one, but in 24 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI-LNKZy3tY

It even has time for some interesting background on the development of The Lion King and Tezuka's personal history, too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Sometimes I'm just not sure what people expect of Chuck when they give him stuff outside of his wheelhouse.

It was kind of interesting seeing his journey across the Rebuild of Evangelion films. He went from lukewarm on them in 1.11, to legitimately interested to see where the series was going to go at the end of 2.22, to just broken and done and despondent by the end of 3.33.

But yeah there is a huge aspect of "why are people just torturing him with this stuff?" hovering over his anime requests at times. No matter how game he is for it at the outset.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They're seeking validation for their favourite shows by having him approve of their choice in media. No I dont know what they expected either.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

It was kind of interesting seeing his journey across the Rebuild of Evangelion films. He went from lukewarm on them in 1.11, to legitimately interested to see where the series was going to go at the end of 2.22, to just broken and done and despondent by the end of 3.33.

But yeah there is a huge aspect of "why are people just torturing him with this stuff?" hovering over his anime requests at times. No matter how game he is for it at the outset.

But the torture is the entire point? If he weren't terribly confused by all this bullshit, the videos of him doing stuff outside his horizon wouldn't be fun. For the same reason you watch LPer's flailing at terrible games, the sadism is why you watch

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

BRB going to send SFD my entire stimulus check so he'll have to review all 894 episodes of One Piece

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The other trouble is that due to the way he operates when reviewing, he either needs to be able to access the content himself or have somebody send it to him. His review of the Gundam Trilogy really would have been better sticking him with the tv series because A: the trilogy is only available subtitled (unless you manage to find the old and frankly pretty bad dub) and he doesn't do well with subbed footage, and B: they're more of a synopsis of Gundam that people recommend so you have context for the later series that people recommend. I know a lot of people swear by the films being the better version of the original show, but for a guy like Chuck you're throwing a lot at him when the longer but easier to follow TV series would be better to ease him in.

But again, it goes back to people with money paying him to validate their choice of media and getting flummoxed when he doesn't understand their niche tastes from a community of which he is alien to.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Baka-nin posted:

I watched an interesting video by Comic Tropes about early colouring techniques and one of the problems with modern digitalisation used by comic book companies for their apps. I had no interest in the subject before clicking it but found it very engaging, it even included some neat information on the colourist who worked on a lot of Alan Moore's comics who gets overlooked and the original western release of Akira.

Unfortunately I can't link it because the guy apparently made a mistake and uploaded the wrong draft of the video which failed to credit a major source for his information. So he's took it down and made an apology video instead, while he waits for the source to get back to him about if he's okay with a corrected and updated video being uploaded in its place.

here's the explainer vid he's just uploaded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqrTe1MIjf8

It's a shame, the ending of the vid showed he was really enthusiastic about covering the topic, but its a welcome change to respond and address issues. Hope the vid can be re-uploaded soon.

I remember that there was an article about the colorist and his process in the french release of Akira. It was interesting stuff!

I'll definitely check the video when it's reuploaded.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That YMS sucks video sounds interesting but isn't that the guy that once said that "loving animals" is over stigmatized?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
YMS's argument was that loving an animal is not morally worse than factory farming and the like.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Jenny Nicholson on a most pressing matter; the ranking of the Land Before Time movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-8zmGr0geQ

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Absolute mad lad DragonBall boy Totally Not Mark has decided to branch out and go all in doing it, beginning a quest to cover all of One Piece.

https://youtu.be/b9E0ay65Ue4

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Arcsquad12 posted:

I have a very hard time conceiving of the idea that there are people in the world without any experience with DBZ. Even though I know it's true and, in fact, I know many of them in real life, it just doesn't compute for me. It's Dragon Ball Z! It's popular practically everywhere on Earth! It's the simplest story in the world! Guy trains until he's tough enough to beat another really tough guy, then he gets even tougher. It's universal storytelling.

At every job I've had, I've met like fifteen other people who all had encyclopedic DBZ knowledge.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even with the preconceived knowledge, would you really start someone off by making them watch History of Trunks? I mean, Saiyan or Namek Saga, sure, but the most depressing side story in the extraneous movies collection? It's no wonder Chuck had no idea what was going on half the time.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Make him watch either Battle of Gods or BROLY next. :getin:

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even with the preconceived knowledge, would you really start someone off by making them watch History of Trunks? I mean, Saiyan or Namek Saga, sure, but the most depressing side story in the extraneous movies collection? It's no wonder Chuck had no idea what was going on half the time.

Yes, but in my life, 7 or 8 times out of 10, I have been able to say something like "Hey you remember when Gohan died in the Future Trunks timeline?" to pretty much anyone nearby, and have them respond in the affirmative. For someone to have no recognition at all... it's simply chilling...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Jenny Nicholson on a most pressing matter; the ranking of the Land Before Time movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-8zmGr0geQ

i swore there were like more than 14. i only remeber the first one(made me cry a ton) and one about the grandpa being sick and the one where they find the coment/warpstone and petrees uncles a conman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I'm in the same kinda situation as Chuck here. Everything I know about Dragon Ball comes from snippets I've picked up online, like when Phelous or Bennett would do a video about the show. I didn't start watching anime regularly until about 2005, long after it was over, and it didn't catch my attention enough to make me want to go back and binge it.