Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Even if I only ever play in my bedroom, if I get a Katana Mini I'm going to wish I had gotten the 50, aren't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It doesn't even come with a power supply, let alone a reverb effect.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

is there a good place to get a good hardtail HH strat that's like "top end squier" tier so I can change the pickups in it? or do I just need to go the GFS route

I want to put together a sleeper-y super strat soon and I have the specific pickups I want in mind (JB in the bridge, humbucker from hell in the neck). I just want it to look/be shaped like a normal fender strat because I like that, as opposed to something like the sharper ibanez look

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Lumpy posted:

Interesting. The Katana has an MT-2 built in but not an HM-2. Since I love Dopethrone, I will mess around this evening and see if I can get close with the built-in fuzzes (which are a Fuzzface and a Big Muff π IIRC) and the "sneaky" amps.

You can dial in really great doom/stoner tones with the Big Muff, and it's used on a ton of albums in those genres (think, like, Witch - 'Seer'), but if you wanna sound like Jus there is one way. Even his tone on later records like Witchcult Today is fz-2, but at some point he switched from using 'Fuzz 2' mode to 'Boost'

The Muff, I would turn volume and sustain all the way up and the tone almost all the way off like to 9 oclock or something. It also sounds good boosted by a Tubescreamer, because it has a weird scoopy mid thing

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's a shame that charvel doesn't make hardtail versions of their superstrat line because that's basically what you're looking for out of the box

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

alternatively, I guess - is it incredibly stupid to just take out the trem arm and never use it again? since it has springs inside, are they still liable to increased tuning problems? can the springs just be taken out and I can set up the rest of the guitar to compensate and it'll be like normal? I don't know how any of this stuff works

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's a shame that charvel doesn't make hardtail versions of their superstrat line because that's basically what you're looking for out of the box

they still look a little "superstrat-y". I just want something that looks like a normal HH strat that fender sells, but when I plug it in it loving rips and generates lovely, over driven beds of sound

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You can block a trem so it can't move with something like a block of wood or a stack of coins taped together if you have no way to cut wood.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Thumposaurus posted:

You can block a trem so it can't move with something like a block of wood or a stack of coins taped together if you have no way to cut wood.

I'll just get one with a trem I think. I'm chasing a specific tone and the guitar in question had a trem anyway and juuuuust in case that little amount of wood actually effects anything, I may as well have it match.

now to wait for squier to refresh until it has colors I like! see you in 4 years!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

I thought you were wrong, since I have a hardtail San Dimas (59/JB), but their site doesn't have any new SoCal or San Dimas models with a hardtail except the Jake E Lee signature ones. That seems like a really weird product decision!

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
For some reason the only price points for hardtail Strats are $125 and $5000.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jackson also ditched most of their hard tail models for 2020. Now it's just Floyds as far as the eye can see. :sigh:

Edit: Oddly, Fender themselves make two hardtail Strats: The Robert Cray and Jim Root models.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 27, 2020

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I did find a couple other interesting quasi-Strats while I was poking around:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PAC611HFMRB--yamaha-pac611hfm-pacifica-root-beer
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SesHTTC--godin-session-ht-trans-cream
Godin has a really eccentric lineup of guitars, I want to try one sometime.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Thumposaurus posted:

ya do this

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

There was a Squier Robert Cray and it was purple. Still kicking myself for not getting that.

edit: Also routing is possible so any hardtail should do right?

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 28, 2020

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I'm building my first pedalboard and hit a wall with the power-supply. I have two EHX pedals that require a 9.6V power supply. I can't find any power-units that include that, they're all 9 volts. What is someone with a bunch of 9.6V pedals to do in this case?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
As long as the polarity and current rating are correct 9.6v vs 9v shouldn't matter.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Anime Reference posted:

As long as the polarity and current rating are correct 9.6v vs 9v shouldn't matter.

You know what I just checked and all of the pedals say 9V on them. I was thrown off because the standard EHX power adaptors are 9.6V for some reason, s I assumed that's what the pedal required. Problem solved!

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Got my Squier contemporary. Decent guitar. Great for the price. Only issues are: 1) Annoyingly sharp fret ends. 2) Couldn't get the fretboard level (only time that's ever happened, like, I can get the top of the frets level with feeler gauges but not the board itself. Maybe the neck warped a bit in transit?)

I'm 99% sure the frets aren't really "Jumbo", but since I'm scalloping I don't really care.

3 frets scalloped, 19 to go. If anyone's interested I can post a short video or some progress pics. It's not as hard as it seems, although I got overconfident after doing the first fret perfectly and the second fret scallop is a little lopsided. Too scared to go deeper to fix it since I'm not sure how much more fretboard I have left before I hit the truss rod channel. I'll live with it somehow.

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 28, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gnumonic posted:

Got my Squier contemporary. Decent guitar. Great for the price. Only issues are: 1) Annoyingly sharp fret ends. 2) Couldn't get the fretboard level though (only time that's ever happened, like, I can get the top of the frets level with feeler gauges but not the board itself. Maybe the neck warped a bit in transit?)

I'm 99% sure the frets aren't really "Jumbo", but since I'm scalloping I don't really care.

3 frets scalloped, 19 to go. If anyone's interested I can post a short video or some progress pics. It's not as hard as it seems, although I got overconfident after doing the first fret perfectly and the second fret scallop is a little lopsided. Too scared to go deeper to fix it since I'm not sure how much more fretboard I have left before I hit the truss rod channel. I'll live with it somehow.

I'd take a look! I've been curious about scalloped frets ever since I learned they were a thing

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

they used to make a san dimas style 1 model with a hardtail and a jb in the bridge

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wouldn't it be possible to just install a different bridge on a Squire? I have no clue about which one or how, but it seems like the easiest way to get a hardtail strat, besides blocking the trem.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
You have to plug the gaping hole first, otherwise there's nowhere to attach the bridge to. The trem screws won't work for a hardtail bridge.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hipshot used to make a wood plug but i think it was only designed for usa strats which had different trem rout dimensions

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Anime Reference posted:

I did find a couple other interesting quasi-Strats while I was poking around:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PAC611HFMRB--yamaha-pac611hfm-pacifica-root-beer
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SesHTTC--godin-session-ht-trans-cream
Godin has a really eccentric lineup of guitars, I want to try one sometime.

see my post history for one of Godin's old entry level electrics, an Exit-22. it's awesome. SSH, mahogany body+rosewood fretboard, short scale, hard tail. the tone is pretty dark all the time, proving to be excellent for warm jazz tones. Hendrix rhythm tone sounds OK but it won't spank like a full scale. humbucker sounds fantastic with distortion. super comfortable neck, frets came dressed and leveled from the factory. the middle+bridge pickup position, with the tone rolled all the way off, sounds quite a bit like a Brian May guitar soli when i crank my AC15 - hyper-midsy and like a male voice. i used to want a bright scooped Strat sound, but the warm tone grows on me all the time. especially now that i have a super bright tele to compare it to.

also i just ordered a 2018 La Patrie Etude, from one of the Godin sub-brands. nylon string acoustic guitar, but with a slightly radiused fretboard and a shallower neck, so it feels less classical. got hooked on playing Jobim a couple of months ago so i'm replacing my steel string with that. a relative of mine has an Art & Lutherie steel string, which is Godin's most budget acoustic brand, and that thing also has a loving great neck and it sounds good too.

have a look at the Radiator. it used to be their cheapest guitar, i almost got one for $250 new in the mid 00s. i guess it's similar to a Danelectro or something. the top is a giant pickguard, and the body's all routed out. no tone selector or tone knobs, just volume knobs for two lipstick-style pickups. Godin stuff tends to depreciate rather quickly. most of the old Performance line sells for $300-$500.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Anime Reference posted:

Heads up, my MicroPOG is 9.6v and if I try to plug in a standard 9v it just screams until I unplug it.

edit annoyingly the pedal also says 9v on it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

landgrabber posted:

alternatively, I guess - is it incredibly stupid to just take out the trem arm and never use it again? since it has springs inside, are they still liable to increased tuning problems? can the springs just be taken out and I can set up the rest of the guitar to compensate and it'll be like normal? I don't know how any of this stuff works

any vintage/6 screw trem you can pretty easily convert to hardtail by first screwing down the spring claw in the back all the way then tightening the 6 pivot screws on top until they just touch the top of the trem plate. adjust the bridge saddle height to compensate for the trem being slightly lower and you're set

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Maybe I'm crazy but I've never had issues with tuning on guitars with tremolos. Once the guitar is set up properly in a tuning it'll want to stay in that tuning forever. If you're the type of person who's constantly swapping from Eb to standard or switching from standard to drop D, yeah I can get the annoyance. But if you just stay in the same tuning it's perfectly fine. Changing strings isn't more of a pain in the rear end than on a hardtail, you go one by one like usual and then go over all the strings once or twice when you finish.

I dunno, i just feel like tremolos aren't that much of a hassle

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i dunno at some point i just realized i never use the whammy bar and i ran into the same problem landgrabber had that production hardtail hh strats basically don't exist at a reasonable price point

which is stupid because it's a good combo and sometimes you don't want a pointy superstrat or a les paul thing

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 28, 2020

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i dunno at some point i just realized i never use the whammy bar and i ran into the same problem landgrabber had that production hardtail hh strats basically don't exist at a reasonable price point

which is stupid because it's a good combo and sometimes you don't want a pointy superstrat or a les paul thing

I love the classic look of a fender, cause there's so much culture and history in it.

main reason for not going epiphone is honestly just scale length. right now, I have a tele that I like a lot and it sounds great for cleans and indie bullshit, chiming clean bridge pickup tone, but it's really not great for frothy, distorted beds of sound, like a humbucker would be. so I wanna be able to switch between both guitars and just go.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

landgrabber posted:

main reason for not going epiphone is honestly just scale length. right now, I have a tele that I like a lot and it sounds great for cleans and indie bullshit, chiming clean bridge pickup tone, but it's really not great for frothy, distorted beds of sound, like a humbucker would be. so I wanna be able to switch between both guitars and just go.

If you want an affordable LP-ish guitar with strat scale length try Hagstrom.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Honestly, my 2008 American strat keeps tuning just fine, especially without the trem bar installed. It was a problem in my youth when I tried to do dive bombs and/or didn't know how to be subtle, but honestly, light vibrato doesn't make it go out of tune.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
if you use decent locking tuners and have the nut slots cut with the proper break angle standard strat trems can take a fair amount of abuse. about the only thing you can't do is bottom out on a divebomb and hold it for a few seconds before returning to pitch

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

landgrabber posted:

I love the classic look of a fender, cause there's so much culture and history in it.

My dude put the humbucker from hell in the Tele's neck

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Baron von Eevl posted:

The Jazzcaster's evil twin!

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Baron von Eevl posted:

Go on... Looks like my American tele is routed like a strat, I've been thinking of putting a humbucker in the neck. What else would i have to do?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

lazerwolf posted:

Go on... Looks like my American tele is routed like a strat, I've been thinking of putting a humbucker in the neck. What else would i have to do?

Just wire up the new pickup where the other one was. Unless you want fancy coil-splitting and so on.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Lumpy posted:

Just wire up the new pickup where the other one was. Unless you want fancy coil-splitting and so on.

Wouldn't i need to swap the 250k pot for a 500k?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

lazerwolf posted:

If you really want to, but then your bridge single coil will be on the "wrong" pot. Try it out with the 250k and see how it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

lazerwolf posted:

If it really has as much treble as Dimarzio claims it does it'll sound fine with a 250k.