Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

The blow up for PC VR is that now about 2% of steam users have one. Putting it at less than 50% the adoption rate of PSVR.

It probably keeps slowly climbing, but it really feels like you have a fractured ecosystem for a currently niche product that isn't going anywhere fast, even after another push by an absolute monster in the industry. The current increased finger accuracy and other objectives are not overcoming what appears to be the main bottlenecks on wider consumer interest.

That's fine though. It's going to be in hobbyist territory until it's cheap enough and good enough for everyone, but it's not some failed venture like like people make it out to be because here we are years later and it's quietly getting better and more popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
You come across as being quite invested in VR venix3 and y'know if the experiences you've had with it so far make you want more then thats fair enough. I thought the first hour of Astro Bot was mind blowing but everything else I've tried in VR has just came across as a cool novelty. People said they loved Tetris Effect in VR, again I thought it was cool but I certainly didn't want to play it over playing on a great TV.

Maybe its a case of the technology not quite being there yet although I didn't come away from PSVR thinking it needed a few years in the oven as much as I came away thinking really neat, cool idea, glad to try it but can i please just stare at a 50 inch screen now.

edit: also please bring back your av, that new one is scary

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

That's fine though. It's going to be in hobbyist territory until it's cheap enough and good enough for everyone, but it's not some failed venture like like people make it out to be because here we are years later and it's quietly getting better and more popular.

This was what they said about VR in the 90s btw, and the same thing about 3D TVs 10 years ago

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
VR rocks, the weird tribalism both for and against VR is odd though, like, to me it's a gaming peripheral.
It's like getting all bent out of shape because someone owns a racing steering wheel :lol:

How loving dare you like / not like a particular gaming accessory :argh:

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Where's that goon who asked about super defensive VR users?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
2% of Steam users is a fuckload of people, though?

Technical innovation comes in fits and starts. Colour film actually predates accompanying sound, iirc. The main obstacle there was hardware availaibility.

Reminded that Star Trek TOS was in part kept on the air as basically a killer app for colour TV.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This was what they said about VR in the 90s btw, and the same thing about 3D TVs 10 years ago

90s VR was legit bad though, I remember trying it and yeah not good.
I think the main difference is now I can play full on games in VR rather than really basic stuff at 10 fps because PCs have the horsepower to do that now.
I mainly use mine for sim racing and for that it's really cool, and in that nerdy rear end scene VR usage is around 50%, so maybe my experience is a bit skewed.
It's a dumb nerdy hobby but when I'm flying around Spa in a 70s F1 car none of that matters, it's just straight up good fun

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

its just around the corner!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEIJP3eDc8M

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

90s VR was legit bad though, I remember trying it and yeah not good.
I think the main difference is now I can play full on games in VR rather than really basic stuff at 10 fps because PCs have the horsepower to do that now.
I mainly use mine for sim racing and for that it's really cool, and in that nerdy rear end scene VR usage is around 50%, so maybe my experience is a bit skewed.
It's a dumb nerdy hobby but when I'm flying around Spa in a 70s F1 car none of that matters, it's just straight up good fun

Are you telling me the Battletech Center games were bad? Preposterous

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the virtual boy was cool and fun to use

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Are you telling me the Battletech Center games were bad? Preposterous

No, I had the 'pleasure' of trying a PC version, it was two tiny low res 90s LCDs and was a real good indicator as to why it all failed back then, it was just poo poo.
The Battletech arcadey stuff was better but still pretty jarring.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I have a hard time taking people who equate present day VR to 90s VR seriously because right now is the first time the displays and sensors and the computers behind them have been up to the task and there's really no comparison. It's like comparing an early car to a horse, declaring zero progress and concluding that cars are just a trend. It's almost like the anti-VR crusaders itt are being disingenuous.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Also, the future isn't VR goggles, it's a lightweight set of facebook AR glasses that let you play angry birds on a table with your digital girlfriend. It'll be very cheap because of the targeted ads it will project on any whitespace in your field of view and the unprecedented level of granular data collection about your life and those around you.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
VR is stupid, we should skip straight to direct brain jacking. we know thats next, lets stop wasting time perfecting this dead end technology

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Gaming is cheap. Everything in it. The hardware, the games, everything outside of "I dumped $1,000 on a lovely mobile cash shop". It is one of the cheapest hobbies in existence.

The only way it seems remotely expensive is at the point of buying a console, and that's only because we're in the age of every loving thing as a subscription service where the true cost of everything is disguised by a small monthly bill. That console barely costs anything for the number of years it will be used. It's less per month than any one of your tv/movie subscription services.

Basically any other hobby is more expensive than gaming unless you're the kind of idiot who buys every single Hot Release of the Month at $60 or blows money on stupid poo poo in cash shops.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nobody cares whether you own a VR headset and being all "goons are so mad about VR" is some victim complex poo poo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VR, like "e-books", "smart appliances", and Siris are stupid American fads and will go the way of the dodo and EEE PC (or whatever they were called).

e: And 3D TVs, yeah.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

Gaming is cheap. Everything in it. The hardware, the games, everything outside of "I dumped $1,000 on a lovely mobile cash shop". It is one of the cheapest hobbies in existence.

The only way it seems remotely expensive is at the point of buying a console, and that's only because we're in the age of every loving thing as a subscription service where the true cost of everything is disguised by a small monthly bill. That console barely costs anything for the number of years it will be used. It's less per month than any one of your tv/movie subscription services.

Basically any other hobby is more expensive than gaming unless you're the kind of idiot who buys every single Hot Release of the Month at $60 or blows money on stupid poo poo in cash shops.

nintendos eshop is not cheap. binding of Issac for $50? come on! :negative:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

VR, like "e-books", "smart appliances", and Siris are stupid American fads and will go the way of the dodo and EEE PC (or whatever they were called).

no way ebooks rule they are not going anywhere. thats like saying mp3 players are going away because the music industry sucks. i love my ebook it has thousands of pirate books on it i could not read nearly as much without ebooks

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Do you know how much money and space I saved in the last 4 semesters of my history degree buying a kindle and my readers as ebooks instead of 30 loving paperbacks/semester

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I have an echo in the kitchen that I use constantly for timers, reminders, measurement conversions, and quick questions like "how do I store turnips" or "can dogs eat turnips" and she's not going anywhere. It's really useful there because I never have to stop what I'm doing or get food from my hands on buttons or a screen.

e: oh and also for managing shopping lists/quick reorders from amazon. it's loving clutch

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A lot of angry Americans ITT.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

That's what Jeff Vogel and John Van Caneghem games are for.

yeah that's right I just dropped 2 dork as gently caress game designer names that haven't been relevant in years

The big difference is that their games are good and fun

jeff vogel released a well regarded game in a new series last year and had an extremely successful kickstarter to remaster the geneforge series earlier this year

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
As someone who loves his PSVR, modern VR has “caught on” in the sense that a barnacle has caught on to the bottom of a ship. It’s not changing the course of history, but it’s clear it’s not going away either, and that’s cool.

For the first time basically ever it’s in a stable but fairly minor portion of the market, and the tech is good enough that it’s of reasonable quality and accessible to a wider audience.

And Gorn is really fun.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

food court bailiff posted:

jeff vogel released a well regarded game in a new series last year and had an extremely successful kickstarter to remaster the geneforge series earlier this year

That is awesome news about geneforge and I'm happy to hear it.

Now for a World of Xeen remaster.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is Netflix any good on a VR headset

That seems like it would be useful to watch laying down or something

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

my other main hobby is going for walks so it seems expensive to me

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Is Netflix any good on a VR headset

That seems like it would be useful to watch laying down or something

The Netflix app is the only thing I miss about my PSVR, it was fuckin’ fantastic and the integration with the PSVR setup is so much nicer than the Rift S one.

Dewgy posted:

As someone who loves his PSVR, modern VR has “caught on” in the sense that a barnacle has caught on to the bottom of a ship. It’s not changing the course of history, but it’s clear it’s not going away either, and that’s cool.

For the first time basically ever it’s in a stable but fairly minor portion of the market, and the tech is good enough that it’s of reasonable quality and accessible to a wider audience.

And Gorn is really fun.

Have you played Ace Combat 7’s VR missions yet? The second mission for those is what I would have people try to see what VR can really do, just the part where you’re taking off in the middle of a giant battle alone is jaw dropping.

QuarkJets posted:

Nobody cares whether you own a VR headset and being all "goons are so mad about VR" is some victim complex poo poo

There’s definitely been some goons who are mad about VR, but they tend to be the C-spammiest “guillotine everyone who makes more money than me” types who are angry people spent a bunch of money on a toy. One poo poo up the Steam thread last winter and it was obnoxious.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have you played Ace Combat 7’s VR missions yet? The second mission for those is what I would have people try to see what VR can really do, just the part where you’re taking off in the middle of a giant battle alone is jaw dropping.

Yeah, those VR missions are fantastic. drat shame it’s only 3 episodes and not the whole game, though AC7’s main campaign does get a little nuts in terms of VFX so I can totally see why they couldn’t pull it off on PSVR.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dewgy posted:

Yeah, those VR missions are fantastic. drat shame it’s only 3 episodes and not the whole game, though AC7’s main campaign does get a little nuts in terms of VFX so I can totally see why they couldn’t pull it off on PSVR.

I wish they’d port it to PC now that the one year exclusivity contract for PSVR is over, you could do some crazy poo poo with better hardware.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

weird ask but i generally trust this thread's takes on games (and know that there are a few of you who seem to hate everything that brings me joy, and that's easy to account for as well)

is it worth trying to go back and play H:ZD because i got a few hours into it (past the proving, etc, did a few side quests) and then like instantly got hit with an insane brick wall of difficulty that made me put it down and i don't even remember what the gently caress it was - like taking a set of outposts or something, but some flying robot maybe appeared as a complication? i bet i was doing something way incorrect/out of order because i don't remember the game being particularly challenging at all to that point

i keep hearing good things but who knows

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

food court bailiff posted:

weird ask but i generally trust this thread's takes on games (and know that there are a few of you who seem to hate everything that brings me joy, and that's easy to account for as well)

is it worth trying to go back and play H:ZD because i got a few hours into it (past the proving, etc, did a few side quests) and then like instantly got hit with an insane brick wall of difficulty that made me put it down and i don't even remember what the gently caress it was - like taking a set of outposts or something, but some flying robot maybe appeared as a complication? i bet i was doing something way incorrect/out of order because i don't remember the game being particularly challenging at all to that point

i keep hearing good things but who knows

Horizon opens up significantly when you have better (purple) weapons. There’s a city where you can buy them right after the game opens up (though it’s a bit of a schlep) and they have multiple different damage type options, which are 100% essential for doing well.

It’s probably the worst design decision in the game, but easy enough to work around once you know about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you have finished the prologue, start heading to Meridian. I think you should have that mission at that point. The game will open up a lot and you can buy better gear. There's elemental weapons that will knock flying enemies out of the sky instantly, so you can attack them on the ground.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

all games with controls more complicated than "square punches and X jumps" should have repeatable tutorials for when your dumb rear end sets the game down for two years and doesn't remember how to play but doesn't want to gently caress around as Kid Aloy again

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh if you are only just past the proving grounds and it's been a while I'd just say restart. You can get to that point in about an hour I think. You can come back and do the side stuff in the first area any time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i also took out some big fort of dudes and met some other guy who (maybe) knew about my magic ear thing? i mean this is all hazy and i probably should restart but it was way more than an hour

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

poverty goat posted:

Also, the future isn't VR goggles, it's a lightweight set of facebook AR glasses that let you play angry birds on a table with your digital girlfriend.

AR is great and I love it. That is something I hope catches on. Here's a Kickstarter video for one of the setups. Yes, I know it's a Kickstarter video, but they have videos of the full working product around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_71C3bMNUA

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

d3lness posted:

AR is great and I love it. That is something I hope catches on. Here's a Kickstarter video for one of the setups. Yes, I know it's a Kickstarter video, but they have videos of the full working product around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_71C3bMNUA

as a person who loves board games specifically because they allow me to escape technology for an hour i am disgusted by this video. just play a video game, don't ruin board games :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

as a person who loves board games specifically because they allow me to escape technology for an hour i am disgusted by this video. just play a video game, don't ruin board games :(

yeah i'm conflicted because AR is neat and like some ridiculous yu-gi-oh style card games or whatever would probably be fun but at the same time like i won't even touch the new edition of Mansions of Madness because i don't want to be loving with a tablet while i'm trying to roll dice and play with cardboard chits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Alternatively, I have a lot of friends that live hours away so I'll take the trade.