Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I think it's because Kars is going the extra mile by trampling over the honor of his deceased comrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I suppose that's fair. No point in letting Wamuu fight honorably to the death if you were never intending to play fair from the outset.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Supersonic Shine posted:

I think it's hosed up that some people value the lives of dogs over human beings, but at the same time, I wanted Rubber Soul to get loving murdered after he killed that dog.

It's the innocence factor, something dying that has no idea what's going on and depends entirely on you to keep it safe hits on a different level than someone that brought it on themselves (or someone in a large, faceless group) in fiction. Probably something evolutionary that drives us to protect children more. That's why dogs and children work as a writer's trick; we get really mad when the defenseless are killed due to people they trust.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Augus posted:

Araki got gud at drawing dogs

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That looks like a crude hyena

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hyenas are not dogs, they are hyenas
checkmate liberals

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I havent read quite that far yet but didn't that dog do equivalent exchange with something and thats why its weird looking?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that dog is a good puppy and i support it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So I watched Stardust Crusaders after really enjoying the first two parts and I didn't really like it.

There were just no stakes at all. There was a ticking clock counting down to the death of a character we don't know or care about, and a very vague explanation as to how killing Dio would prevent it. Dio himself wasn't doing anything in particular that warranted hunting him down with any urgency.

Dio himself was a huge anticlimax too. After 45 episodes of buildup and several people saying they'd rather die than upset him, his stand power was maybe in the top ten most sinister throughout the series. And he achieved next to nothing.

There was just very little substance to the whole thing. I usually love a good road trip story but usually things happen on a road trip other than an endless parade of enemies appearing. While there were plenty of really great individual episodes, the 'stand user of the week' format just meant most of them felt like disposable filler. There was also no real explanation as to why stands were suddenly a thing and what the hell they had to do with Dio (I assume this will be fleshed out later?)

Jotaro himself was incredibly dull and one-note too, which was a real shame after Joseph and Jonathan had so much personality. Most of the series wouldn't have really changed if Jotaro wasn't there. I hear a lot of people saying he's the most iconic Joestar which I... Really don't get.

The censorship was also really over the top to the point of being a distraction. I know that's not really the show's fault and there are uncensored versions but that's how it comes on Netflix. :shrug:

There was plenty there that I did really enjoy (I wouldn't have sat through 48 episodes otherwise) but finishing the whole thing left me cold. As I said I really liked the first two parts. If I didn't like the direction Stardust Crusaders took the series is there much point in me tracking down and watching the rest?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jotaro is more interesting after part 3 because he's not a one-note shonen protag anymore, and is instead a side character

also part 3 is very rocky and weird and araki was figuring out how stands work. part 4 is regularly regarded as one of the best parts in the series and is the start of him knowing where he wants to go with stands from the beginning. it's absolutely worth it to continue because 4 is what i consider the beginning of the 'real' series where it pretty consistently knows what it is

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I didnt like SC on my rewatch either; outside of bright spots, mostly with Iggy, I dont think Stands really start "working" until part 4, which is really good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My biggest problem with part 3 was the weird insistence that the majority of fights be 2 parters. I don't know if that was a network mandate or what, but it leads to the pacing being way off. Part 4 and 5 do way better about giving each fight the room it needs and no more, be that one episode, an episode and a half, etc

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It does have some of my favorite fights in the series, the D'Arby fights

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
D'arby the Gambler was my literal first exposure to the series, and it hooked me

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

David Pro D'arby is great but OVA D'arby is still the definitive version of that fight for me.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

stev posted:

So I watched Stardust Crusaders after really enjoying the first two parts and I didn't really like it.

There were just no stakes at all. There was a ticking clock counting down to the death of a character we don't know or care about, and a very vague explanation as to how killing Dio would prevent it. Dio himself wasn't doing anything in particular that warranted hunting him down with any urgency.

Dio himself was a huge anticlimax too. After 45 episodes of buildup and several people saying they'd rather die than upset him, his stand power was maybe in the top ten most sinister throughout the series. And he achieved next to nothing.

There was just very little substance to the whole thing. I usually love a good road trip story but usually things happen on a road trip other than an endless parade of enemies appearing. While there were plenty of really great individual episodes, the 'stand user of the week' format just meant most of them felt like disposable filler. There was also no real explanation as to why stands were suddenly a thing and what the hell they had to do with Dio (I assume this will be fleshed out later?)

Jotaro himself was incredibly dull and one-note too, which was a real shame after Joseph and Jonathan had so much personality. Most of the series wouldn't have really changed if Jotaro wasn't there. I hear a lot of people saying he's the most iconic Joestar which I... Really don't get.

The censorship was also really over the top to the point of being a distraction. I know that's not really the show's fault and there are uncensored versions but that's how it comes on Netflix. :shrug:

There was plenty there that I did really enjoy (I wouldn't have sat through 48 episodes otherwise) but finishing the whole thing left me cold. As I said I really liked the first two parts. If I didn't like the direction Stardust Crusaders took the series is there much point in me tracking down and watching the rest?

I think Part 4 is a big improvement in terms of a lot of your complaints. The new main character has a lot more personality, and the new main villain plays a more active role (even though just who the new main villain is doesn't become clear until a third of the way through). A lot of the story is still relatively low-stakes, but in a much more intentional way than Part 3; we actually get to see how the characters act when they aren't fighting for their lives.

Also, we find out how Dio got his Stand.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

jivjov posted:

My biggest problem with part 3 was the weird insistence that the majority of fights be 2 parters. I don't know if that was a network mandate or what, but it leads to the pacing being way off. Part 4 and 5 do way better about giving each fight the room it needs and no more, be that one episode, an episode and a half, etc

They probably thought four courses of 12 episodes would be enough to cover part 3 considering its so much longer than parts 1 and 2 combined, but then they realized that they had too much time to fill. Parts 4 and 5 being 3 courses instead definitely helps the pacing a lot.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's encouraging. I'll give part 4 a shot then.

I agree D'Arby the Gambler was really great. I just wish more of the fights were that good. Death 13, Pet Shop and Vanilla Ice were huge highlights too (and way better than Dio himself).

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Jotaro's mom is a red herring, the real plot of part 3 is Polnareff trying to poo poo in peace.

Btw the scene where polnareff is being all super sweet and charming to enyaba is one of the funniest scenes in part 3 hands down. "Just think of me as your son!"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

My part 3 experience was reassuring my friends that yes, Iggy is a good boy his development is just really backloaded.

Because seriously that is a character who contributes nothing to the group for 90% of his time in the series. He literally just fucks off and everyone's like "eh whatever".

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think overall my first exposure to was Heritage for the Future for like 5 minutes, and then it was D'arby The Gambler OVA fight some 15 years ago. I had no idea what was going on.

I do agree that some parts of SC kinda dragged on, especially when the later rights become two parters, but i generally place 3 with part 2 on equal footing.

One thing I know for sure was that after binge watching all of 3, the first thing I wanted to do was play Heritage for the future, because I recognize and want to play every single character on that roster. Even Alessi.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Part 3 is one of those parts where the adventure is kinda fun in the moment, but when you just look at the whole thing it's a touch awkward.

I agree that DIO being used as an enemy of the week is a big anticlimax.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

stev posted:

That's encouraging. I'll give part 4 a shot then.

I agree D'Arby the Gambler was really great. I just wish more of the fights were that good. Death 13, Pet Shop and Vanilla Ice were huge highlights too (and way better than Dio himself).

it's usually a commonly-accepted thing that stardust crusaders is pretty backloaded with a lot of the good stuff

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's usually a commonly-accepted thing that stardust crusaders is pretty backloaded with a lot of the good stuff

Yeah, that's my take on SC as a whole, most of everything from Darby the gambler on is great. Also I think the OVA version of the DIO fight is well worth a watch, I definitely enjoy it more than the David Pro adaptation, even if it isn't as close to the style of the manga.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'd go even further and say most of the Egypt arc is pretty good. It really seemed to click with Araki how a Stand battle should go with N'Doul and the mediocre asspull fights pretty much stop appearing by that point.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fargin Icehole posted:

I think overall my first exposure to was Heritage for the Future for like 5 minutes, and then it was D'arby The Gambler OVA fight some 15 years ago. I had no idea what was going on.

I do agree that some parts of SC kinda dragged on, especially when the later rights become two parters, but i generally place 3 with part 2 on equal footing.

One thing I know for sure was that after binge watching all of 3, the first thing I wanted to do was play Heritage for the future, because I recognize and want to play every single character on that roster. Even Alessi.

Alessi is extremely powerful in HftF but then again most of the cast is

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

CharlestonJew posted:

Alessi is extremely powerful in HftF but then again most of the cast is

For sure he's powerful, but drat he annoyed the poo poo out of me. I remember the last time I played all those years ago was I lost to him like three times in the Arcade mode due to his constant stand power spamming.

I definitely remember that because his intro and outro are very unique, with him skulking around and breaking the fourth wall

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Glagha posted:

My part 3 experience was reassuring my friends that yes, Iggy is a good boy his development is just really backloaded.

Because seriously that is a character who contributes nothing to the group for 90% of his time in the series. He literally just fucks off and everyone's like "eh whatever".

imagine having to be convinced to like Iggy

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkZULOC3-N8

what a worthless character

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well like, to be fair Iggy's first episode is him being difficult and even actively trying to betray the guys, before being forced into helping defeat the enemy and at the end there's kind of a grudging sort of respect between him and Jotaro. But then after that he literally just kinda wanders off for the entire rest of the part. He has a few moments where he and Polnareff butt heads but for 90% of the episodes he straight up just wanders off and eats someone's sandwich or something and has no active role in the story whatsoever. It's not until Pet Shop shows up that he suddenly becomes a main character and then he really comes into his own. It's just like, he doesn't show up until halfway through part 3 and then proceeds to do nothing for 45 out of the 50% that he IS there. But that 5% is him quickly becoming Best Boy. Is it really controversial to say that Iggy doesn't really do much until Pet Shop?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Star Platinum looks so happy to be throwing a dog :3:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The one JoJo villain who decided not to kill a dog when he had the chance, and he loses the fight for it. :v:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Now I may be blind but that sounds like a Boston terrier flying through the air COMING RIGHT AT ME -

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

overmind2000 posted:

Star Platinum looks so happy to be throwing a dog :3:
Jotaro's inner self being way more open about loving this poo poo is one of the most charming things about him.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That scene really doesn't get enough love imo, throwing Iggy was a high-tier Joseph Joestar moment

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Even just the animation on Iggy tumbling through the air absolutely cracks me up every time.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Iggy does a lot but he does it in a way that is basically this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edCqF_NtpOQ

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Tarezax posted:

I think it's because Kars is going the extra mile by trampling over the honor of his deceased comrade.

If josuke healed josephs hand, would it also bring kars back from space?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Terror Sweat posted:

If josuke healed josephs hand, would it also bring kars back from space?

oh poo poo lmao, that's a good question

There's got to be a theoretical maximum range for stand powers right? One would think anyway. 60-some-odd years of flying away from Earth in space would probably put Joseph's arm out of reach I'd imagine

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Started Part 3 last night. Two questions:

* Why is Jotaro such a dick to his mom
* What’s up with his hat? Seems like his hair bleeds into it?