Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

LloydDobler posted:

I had the PDM (passenger door module) go out in my 01 Volvo and the window, power lock, power mirror, mirror defrost, and ambient temperature gauge on the dash (the sensor for which is in the mirror housing) all died. It looks like a basic window switch, but it's not.

I'd be really curious to tear one of those things down, if you ever bust another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Along with my E/N kitchen situation, the 2-bay part of the garage that normally holds my wife's car and whatever I'm currently favoring is filled up with cabinets and cabinet parts.

So the Passat, which was formerly plagued with leaks to the point that the PO taped the sunroof shut and taped the front winshield, is sitting outside. And it's raining. A lot.

I hope I fixed the drain issues. :ohdear:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Nothing like a trial by rainstorm.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Last time I trusted the seals during a rainstorm I ended up with a stinky rear end car and now the whole thing is torn apart to repaint and buy a complete set of new seals. And by that I mean every piece of weather stripping on an NA miata.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Trip report: poo poo's dry.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Where does it rate on the Bristol chart?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

Where does it rate on the Bristol chart?

Barely more solid than soup.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

FINALLY, meatpimp has come BACK to car touching.

After many months of house-only work, I had an opportunity to spend some time taking apart the front of the Passat today. I needed to get to the headlight wiring to check connectors, and that requires removing the front bumper. This worked out well, because someone backed into it a couple months back and dented the LF fender, so I'll try to get the dent out a bit while it's apart.

In the process, I found a couple fender/bumper clips that were broken, so I'll get those replaced. I also found that the left headlight washer fluid line was broken off at the joint. The line going to that headlight washer? Plugged with a christmas tree from what looks like a socket hang tag. Awesome job, PO. The replacement part was less than $10 delivered, but why fix it properly? :fuckoff:

Also in that shot is the 1/4" Milwaukee 1/4" Fuel Surge impact driver. This is quickly becoming my favorite tool. Super adaptable, very quiet, a ton of power when you need it, but extremely easy to control. Fantastic piece, everyone should have one.

So, it's apart right now, waiting on parts.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You've forgotten a few things to get to "service position". :colbert:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

You've forgotten a few things to get to "service position". :colbert:

Baby, I'm always in service position.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

FINALLY, meatpimp has come BACK to car touching.

I hope you typed this while raising an eyebrow.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Only related because :quagmire:, but there's a local burger place called Dirty Martin's Kum Bak Burgers. :haw: (affectionately known as Dirty's Kum, or just Dirty's)

They have a Kumbak burger, they also have a Sissy burger. :v:

(the "Dirty" part of the name is because when they originally opened in the 1920s, they had dirt floors, and didn't get rid of them until the 50s)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

No pictures, because I suck and always think about pictures after everything is done.

Had the Passat on jack stands to reinstall the bumper and get the new tires installed. Worked exactly as I had hoped.

Original size (well, on the +1 18" wheels that were on it when I bought it) was 235/40-18. That's the standard size for the optional 18" wheels. But it made first gear super short and almost all wheelspin. Plus, the speedometer read a couple mph high at freeway speeds according to gps. Plus the sidewall was super short.

So, I went to 245/40-18. A little bit wider, a little bit taller. Took care of all the issues. Wheelspin is still plentiful, but easier to control and over 40mph you have to want it to happen now. Plus the speedo is spot on. Plus the ride is a bit more compliant (may also be fresh rubber compound).

For $325 for the set installed, a great upgrade and maintenance item. Oh yeah, it was another set of $55 each Lionharts like I installed on the Avalon last year. For bottom-barrel pricing, I cannot say enough good about them so far. They're quiet, grippy, 500 treadwear rating and dirt cheap.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Pictures today. I finally started getting this paint cleaned up. Process: wipe down, synthetic clay, Chemical Guys Pro Polish, alcohol wipe down... normal so far. Next step is a new one -- Meguiars M27 Pro Hybrid Ceramic Sealer. Wow. Great gloss, fantastic smoothness. I'm impressed so far, let's see how it lasts.

Reflection shot:

Trunk shot:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

2005 Escalade developed a squeaky accessory belt idler pulley. I had planned on replacing both the accessory and AC belts over the past couple years, just never got around to it. Now's the time.

Ordered 2 Gates kits, one for accessories, one for AC. Showed up today and holy poo poo, they're super nice. In addition to attractive packaging, they included a tray with bins for small parts to use during servicing. I've never seen anything like this before from auto parts, and I'm a bit impressed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Double post because holy poo poo, there are times that I love this thing.

15 years old, 108k miles and I just removed both belt tensioners and the idler pulley like they were brand new. No corrosion, no resistance beyond normal torque, no immediate release slamming my hand into whatever sharp things are around. Hell, even the machined surface under the idler pulley is fully intact (see picture, my finger is in the bloody reflection).

This isn't a remarkable thing for a lot of you, but for those of us that a) live in the rust belt, and b) are used to German and other shittily-designed cars where there is simply no way that you could do a 2-belt swap with 2 tensioners and and idler pulley in 20 minutes, it is a little bit of heaven.

Edit: This thing also saw a full clay / correction / Meguiars M27 application last week. I am a big fan of M27 so far, it has a fantastic gloss and made this thing rudely white in the sun.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 28, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What are you thoughts on the Chemical Guys Pro Polish? It looks like it doesn't require a finishing polish after, so would you say it's less aggressive than Ultimate Compound?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Edit: This thing also saw a full clay / correction / Meguiars M27 application last week. I am a big fan of M27 so far, it has a fantastic gloss and made this thing rudely white in the sun.

So are you done with ceramic coatings then? What's the difference?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MomJeans420 posted:

What are you thoughts on the Chemical Guys Pro Polish? It looks like it doesn't require a finishing polish after, so would you say it's less aggressive than Ultimate Compound?

That's exactly what I use for a light correction. If I need something stronger, I use UC.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So are you done with ceramic coatings then? What's the difference?

Not done, M27 is a Sealant, so not a full coating like a full ceramic is. Full ceramic is nice, but takes a lot of time and focus. M27 seems to give a better gloss with much less work, probably at the cost of longevity, but we'll see. When I went through the Passat last month, I did M27 on the body and used a ceramic coating on the wheels. Different applications for different products, maybe? idk, maybe I'm just winging it. :D

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good to know. Getting a ceramic coating done on the LS this weekend by a detailer, depending on how I like it I may DIY it on my Scion, or maybe just go the M27 route.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Hey thread, it's been a while.

No car changes. Not even any car maintenance. I washed the three cars I care about (Avalon is for my son now. He doesn't care about it. It's sitting).

As soon as I washed the three cars, I felt better about things. It had been months with filthy cars because they were all outside since I was using the garage as a workshop. Then I took the Passat out because it was a gorgeous day. I got out on the highway, punched it up to about 60 and the headliner decided to show its appreciation by dropping the back third and leaving it to flap in the wind. gently caress.

I used some 3M 77 adhesive and that didn't work. The material above the headliner has decomposed... so I don't know what I'm going to do there, but that's another worry for another day.

I have been doing a Covid project and in the course of refinishing my basement from the multiple floods of the past year, I'm building a built-in bookcase/cabinet/TV thing. My first real woodworking project and it's something that I really like. I may try to make things to sell. I need to stop teaching because colleges are bullshit right now. And have been for a while. I've only been doing it through inertia.

Here's an almost current state of the unit:

Since then, I got a good paint match to the speaker cloth and I've painted the backs of the bookcases and TV area. Well... mostly. I still have to do all the edges and that's going to be a royal pain in the rear end whether I tape or freehand, because they're all weird angles to get to and paint. :shrug:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Also, I ran into a weirdo auction at the local auction site. They normally do housewares, sometimes vehicles, sometimes property.

This one was filled with high-end grail bikes. All 2015-2018. TERRIBLY listed. I have been into bikes for decades and I skipped over some monster bikes because they had them listed so poorly.

I ended up dropping $6500 on 4 bikes. The list:

2018 S-Works Turbo Levo. Just about brand loving new. 3 charge cycles on the battery and 92 miles total.

2018 Specialized Turbo Vado. Almost new, as well. 255 miles and not a mark on it.

2018 Lightning R-84 carbon fiber recumbent. This is a weirdo bike that I paid $890 for only because Glyph was cheering me on. He kept pointing out that the carbon fiber crankset alone was worth $400. So I bought it. And I've got someone coming this weekend that has a deposit on it at $2900.

2015 Trek Domane Project One. This was an insane bike. Full Dura Ace Di2. Carbon everything -- frame, wheelset, bars, etc. At 16 pounds, it's the lightest bike I've ever had. Remarkably light. Bought for $1100, sold for $2800.

So, I'm on track to do alright flipping these. Bad time of year, since it's the end of the season, but if I have to hold on to the two ebikes for the winter, that's okay.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Wow, that's quite the score...

Do you buy chains by the dozen with that thing?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nice job flipping, I really need to look into trying it more often...How did you find your local auction site? Did you just go and pick them up in person?

Today I just sold the Scion OEM alloys with tires I bought a few months ago, paid 250 and sold them for 550, not a bad little profit.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It says something about the state of your yard when someone chooses to hide trash in it. Sigh. We have free metal recycling here in my city and someone was energetic enough to roll up and zip tie a small box spring and drop it in my yard, but not energetic enough to take the last 4 pieces of wood off it and recycle it. It's ok, I'll do it. But then I'm going to trim back the drat rhododendron that has overgrown the sidewalk where they threw it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LloydDobler posted:

It says something about the state of your yard when someone chooses to hide trash in it. Sigh. We have free metal recycling here in my city and someone was energetic enough to roll up and zip tie a small box spring and drop it in my yard, but not energetic enough to take the last 4 pieces of wood off it and recycle it. It's ok, I'll do it. But then I'm going to trim back the drat rhododendron that has overgrown the sidewalk where they threw it.

Haha, thought you were calling the bikes trash at first.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Nice job flipping, I really need to look into trying it more often...How did you find your local auction site? Did you just go and pick them up in person?

Today I just sold the Scion OEM alloys with tires I bought a few months ago, paid 250 and sold them for 550, not a bad little profit.

I found the auction side a couple years ago when they cleared out a neighbor's house. I've watched it since and have a half-dozen good buys of furniture and house stuff bought at pennies on the dollar. And yeah, you just go to the location of the stuff. Sometimes houses, sometimes commercial. Last week I bought a 4-person commercial (Knoll) workstation with 8 22" monitors, 4 double-arm monitor stands and a bunch of rando stuff... for $86.

I'm going to make myself a nice desk with 4 22" monitors and use the rest to make a killer table saw table/outfeed unit.

bolind posted:

Wow, that's quite the score...

Do you buy chains by the dozen with that thing?

Yeah, there were a number of other bikes that I passed on. For some reason, the guy at that house dropped at LEAST $70k on bikes between those years. Weird stuff.

I love that bike most out of them. It rips at 30mph and is a blast. I bought it intending to keep that one and sell my Juiced City Scrambler, but when I got it home, it was just too nice for me. I like that the Scrambler is banged up a bit, so I can just use it without regard.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That Trek Domane Project One looks pretty nice, I'd rock one with that color scheme

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

poo poo i thought i was reading the chat thread. Sorry about that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
holy hell what a score on those bikes...but what the gently caress is that weird seatpost in the second picture

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

meatpimp posted:

I used some 3M 77 adhesive and that didn't work. The material above the headliner has decomposed... so I don't know what I'm going to do there, but that's another worry for another day.

So my headliner just went too. First time I’ve ever had it happen on a Japanese car (06 Nissan Fuga aka JDM Infiniti M45). If I wanted problems like this I would have just bought a Commodore/Falcon/some German nonsense in the first place! Apparently the problem is that decomposed layer - it *was* a thin layer of foam between the fabric and the formed solid panel until it disintegrated. Nothing will stick to it, so what you have to do is pull the whole thing, scrape off all the poo poo, once it’s clean you can glue again and now it will stick.

In my case, to get the whole thing out, I have to remove the rear seat, a b and c pillar trim, (also the seatbelts for b and c too) but if I’m careful I can get away without taking out the front seats too. Sorely tempted to just bodge for now and pay someone else to do it.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Usually when a headliner has failed it’s been in a POS I don’t care about, and I use a staple gun to hold up the floppy bits, but I wonder if you could use some plastic rivets to good effect? Might not even look bad.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
How about some neodiddlium magnets?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

bolind posted:

That could actually be a good idea.

They sell poke and twist plastic things to tie the headliner back to the fiberboard as well, but it's a half measure at best. I plan at some point to pull one from a junkyard for my daughter's car, glue it up like new, and then do a swap. Rather than remove, repair, re-install.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

bolind posted:

That may be a great idea. Make a rig with magnets to keep it in place as the glue sets.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My ghetto rear end just wanted to place an order with supermagnete.de and then use them to hold the headliner in place, and never do anything about it again...

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

meatpimp posted:

2018 Lightning R-84 carbon fiber recumbent. This is a weirdo bike that I paid $890 for only because glyph was cheering me on.

2015 Trek Domane Project One.

:hfive:

Dude, I know I know these numbers but it's awesome to see them all in one place.

Being the devil on your shoulder for those auctions closing was one of the more fun internet experiences I've had.

If you ever need help spending money again, how buddy, I got you.

poo poo. We didn't even know the domane had a power meter until you sent that pic from your car.

I'll take my commission via cash or money order. Or rolled coins, dealer's choice. :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

glyph posted:

:hfive:

Dude, I know I know these numbers but it's awesome to see them all in one place.

Being the devil on your shoulder for those auctions closing was one of the more fun internet experiences I've had.

If you ever need help spending money again, how buddy, I got you.

poo poo. We didn't even know the domane had a power meter until you sent that pic from your car.

I'll take my commission via cash or money order. Or rolled coins, dealer's choice. :v:

I come out good on the back side of this and I got you. :wink:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

meatpimp posted:

I come out good on the back side of this and I got you. :wink:

Still low key bummed “we” missed the c40, but probably better to not have to temptation in this time of belt tightening to buy it off of you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

bolind posted:

I just want you to know that I laughed at that. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Buyer flaked on the recumbent, so it's still on the lot. :sigh: