Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It's super simple. Like a weekday feed your kids food. I'm not a good cook mind you so I'll just be dead honest.

1 sweet onion
1 big spoonful of chopped garlic from a jar
2 large russet potatoes
1/2 jar of Frank's sauerkraut (I just checked it's 32oz)
1 of those "U" shaped rings of kielbasa sausage

Salt
Ground black pepper from one of those cheap grinders you get from the store
A poo poo ton of paprika
A little chili powder

Heat up a big cast iron skillet (I'm still learning the awesomeness of cast iron) and put some canola oil in. I'd use olive oil but those things can get hot so I used canola just to be safe. Chop up onion however you want I guess and fry that a bit until it starts to get a little crispy brown but not translucent. Add garlic and potatoes. I cooked the potatoes in the microwave for a few minutes to speed things up but I probably wouldn't do that next time or heat it less. Chop up the potato into chunks and try not to burn yourself since you cooked them in the microwave too long. Toss that in along with the garlic at the same time so it doesn't burn. Add all of the seasoning and make sure to coat the potatoes with paprika. Once those are done, whenever I guess I was drunk and didn't time anything, then throw some sauerkraut in and flip it a bit so some can at least get browned. Then cut up the kielbasa on the bias and toss that in there. Once that's in then it just needs to be heated up.

That's the lazy way to do it. I'm sure I could have done other things like sear the kielbasa to get a nice crust on it but like I said this is just an easy one pot meal. Excellent drunk food. It has everything you want in one dish.

All that with a pot of whole grain mustard and some beer would be amazing right now. Even though it's like 85F and humid as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I';ve got two big kielbasa U's chilling in the freezer for the right corona occasion.

I used to work at a remote mining site and one of the chefs made these loving amazing singapore style noodles and would incorporate whatever protein he happened to have and it was frequently kielbasa and it was amazing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yeah, I think I'm going to have some tasty rear end heartburn for dinner tomorrow.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Has anyone here ever made tofu with fava beans? Tell me it's possible. Tell me I'm not a madman.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Literally A Person posted:

Has anyone here ever made tofu with fava beans? Tell me it's possible. Tell me I'm not a madman.

Tofu is just soy bean curd, yeah there's a bunch of _____ bean curds out there. Google suggests fava bean curd is a thing too.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Costco NY strip loin hacked into chunks (the huge one is because it was the end of the loin and I didn't want to cut it into two smaller ones)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm drinking and smoking weed

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I was able to get growlers refilled at my local brewery throughout lockdown until phase 1 reopening dictated no outside containers. I understand why but lol

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

ArbitraryC posted:

Tofu is just soy bean curd, yeah there's a bunch of _____ bean curds out there. Google suggests fava bean curd is a thing too.

:hmmyes:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

poverty goat posted:

I'm drinking and smoking weed

I'm so jealous

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Literally A Person posted:

If someone were holding a gun to my head and making me combine those foods, I would dry the fava beans out, make them into a flour, coat strips of the tofu with that and fry it. you will have tofu that tastes like fava beans which you could then dip into a vinaigrette of some sort.

wait, you mean make tofu out of fava beans? that sounds like a fine thing to pioneer in. you will have tofu that tastes like fava beans which you could then dip into a vinaigrette of some sort.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

The Voice of Labor posted:

If someone were holding a gun to my head and making me combine those foods, I would dry the fava beans out, make them into a flour, coat strips of the tofu with that and fry it. you will have tofu that tastes like fava beans which you could then dip into a vinaigrette of some sort.

wait, you mean make tofu out of fava beans? that sounds like a fine thing to pioneer in. you will have tofu that tastes like fava beans which you could then dip into a vinaigrette of some sort.

Curd, baby. Makin' THAT CURD

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

poverty goat posted:

I was able to get growlers refilled at my local brewery throughout lockdown until phase 1 reopening dictated no outside containers. I understand why but lol

One of the local bars I've been hitting up is filling those big cardboard coffee jugs that are meant for sharing with the office. I think they're supposed to be 96oz? It's great because I don't have to buy a container or worry about washing it out later, just toss it in the recycle.

Today was like a million degrees out so we got frozen drinks instead, because they have a slushy machine. I have no idea how they get something with that much alcohol to freeze that well, but drat it was good.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Apparently getting a sore throat and being grumpy about it

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Its too drat hot. So its time to be lazy and eat chips and salsa

That looks good as hell

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

spacetoaster posted:

That's what I figured. I'm getting a couple of graduate degrees to help me start a new career and what I thought was required of me was so much more than what is actually required.

Like, I spent 2 days crafting the perfect essay response to a professor's question. Only to see classmates bang out a quick response over the course of an hour and get the same grade.

Getting my masters through online classes was easier than high school or undergrad. You give the school money, and they give you a degree.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I made a meal my mom used to make for me when I was a kid. WI has huge German population, it's basically little Germany, so we had some "inspired" stuff when I was young. This is a huge skillet of onions, garlic, potatoes, sauerkraut, and kielbasa sausage in a big ol' cast iron pan. I put a ton of paprika in it too because I love the color. I'm drunk right now and this is just perfect.

Dude, that sounds loving amazing

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I've made hash with similar ingredients, but I need to try it with sauerkraut. That looks great.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm having a 24 foot section of galvanized steel pipe delivered to my house today.

I will be cutting it into 35" sections to be used as raised beds for another vegetable garden.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

I'm having a 24 foot section of galvanized steel pipe delivered to my house today.

I will be cutting it into 35" sections to be used as raised beds for another vegetable garden.

This sounds cool. Do you have a picture of what you're planning?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

This sounds cool. Do you have a picture of what you're planning?

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHsfsZHnZvE

I've got a dumptruck load of topsoil coming today too.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Spending the evening catching up on a month-long backlog of Daniel Lord videos because I want to feel better about my lack of direction in life.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Here's the knife my 10 year old fashioned from an old lawnmower blade I threw away.

I want to point out that he did it with no help from dad (other than handing him the tools and making sure he wore gloves/glasses/earpro).

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

Here's the knife my 10 year old fashioned from an old lawnmower blade I threw away.

I want to point out that he did it with no help from dad (other than handing him the tools and making sure he wore gloves/glasses/earpro).

Is your child Jesse Ventura in Predator?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

spacetoaster posted:

:stare: :stare: what the gently caress :stare: :stare:

Youtube tutorials have gotten really serious I guess, poo poo.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Before this we melted down scrap copper/tin and poured bronze age knives.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My nephew was big into YouTube smelting and hammering knives out of nails and poo poo a few years ago

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Your kid is really cool. I know that I wouldn't trust my 10 year old self to do something like that

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Your kid is really cool. I know that I wouldn't trust my 10 year old self to do something like that

might be a rural thing. my friends and i did dangerous poo poo like that all the time growing up and all our parents were fine with it

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
At first I'm like... a ten year old using an angle grinder?! Then I realized I was using a circle saw at that age *.

*Not regularly

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Honestly, as long as you've taught them how to use it (any tool) safely, and enforce the glasses/ear protection/gloves the chance of a really serious accident is probably pretty low.

Also, I always make sure I'm in the area. Not hovering and micro-managing. But maybe working on something on the other side of the yard.

I just want my kids to know that they can absolutely take care of stuff on their own and have that confidence.

I've got a friend that's a computer toucher who has to pay people to do everything for his home/car and it absolutely terrifies me that people like that exist.

grillster posted:

At first I'm like... a ten year old using an angle grinder?! Then I realized I was using a circle saw at that age *.

*Not regularly

Robo Reagan posted:

might be a rural thing. my friends and i did dangerous poo poo like that all the time growing up and all our parents were fine with it

Would you guys say it's been beneficial over the course of your life?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm listening to the St. Paul police scanner. They are uh.... not doing well over there.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

spacetoaster posted:

Would you guys say it's been beneficial over the course of your life?

Absolutely. I never have been "afraid" to use a tool. My 11 year old cousin can drive a stick shift Jeep in the pasture already so the tradition carries on.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Robo Reagan posted:

Look,the way things are going, the ability to make crude tools could be a major survival requirement.

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene
Watching the live stream in St Paul, the Target must be protected at all costs.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Your Shoes posted:

gently caress a target

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Your Shoes posted:

It's hard to feel bad for that store, they really did everything possible to make themselves a target.

:downsrim:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tip posted:

It's hard to feel bad for that store, they really did everything possible to make themselves a target.

:downsrim:

Don’t victim blame.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Hey, you don't see anyone looting the Safeway now, do ya?

JUST SAYIN' is all, JUST SAYIN'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Caught up on this thread. Ordered too much Chinese food. My wife got word that her uncle died, so we’re feeling kinda down.