Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh they knew exactly what they were doing with Timemon's design.

Also, is there something i'm missing with Pink Cucumbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next - 23 May

Episode 17 - Eri's Copy-Pasted Everywhere? Restore the Dream Concert!

quote:

The Fujimizaka New Year Festival will feature a guest performance by Karan Eri of Appliyama 470! But Copipemon works some mischief to fill the town with Eri videos! Will the concert to celebrate her new CD be canceled?!,

Episode 18 - Haru and Yujin's Bond. Stop the Rampaging Resshamon!

quote:

L-Corp's newest GPS game is a worldwide hit, and players converge on a seaside park searching for a super rare treasure! Haru and friends try to find it, too, but Resshamon causes a runaway train panic!,

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Kind of figured that these two would mostly be filler-ish but we still did get some good growth from characters, especially one that we really don't know a ton about yet. It's also nice to see Eri actually sing and do more idol-ish things and some possible hints as to why she headed down this path.

Ep 17 gave us a pretty blatant parody of a certain cultural fad from 2016 but more importantly, also some good backstory for how Yujin and Haru (being both very different personalities) met and became friends. Nice downtime material for sure.

Because, Toei being Toei, I'm pretty sure things are about to ramp up next episode.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Two points;

1) Now that we have an Appmon that is basicaly the black gear generator, that means, theoreticaly, they can do away with the source of the virus at any point

2) It's kinda intresting to note that, besides Takato, that Yujin is more the sort to be a Digimon series protag than Haru.

Also, kinda getting bored of the "Truely you're an ogre, You're actually an orge, tho" bit, that's getting repetative.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've been noticing a lot of characters have some pretty repetitive catch phrase use "Groovy? Not Groovy?" "Big Bang Punch" and I'm not really a fan of it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Theres at least one early episode where the animation is held together entirely by the reuse of the BIG BANG PUNCH animation.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next - 27th May

Episode 19 - The Sea of the 'Net in Trouble! The 'Time' Has Come: Ultimate App Fusion!

quote:

It's Valentine's Day in the city, but everyone's smartphones are in danger! Updating Waffle OS, the operating system used by 70% of the world's phones, is causing them to freeze up and die...

Episode 20 - Farewell, Astora?! Dreammon's Nightmare!

quote:

Astora's going to train for two years?! While he struggles over whether to pursue his dream as an AppTuber, Dreammon presents him with a choice. Meanwhile, his father fails to return from his daily workout...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
:tviv:

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

This is a really strong set of episodes honestly. While I'd argue that 19 is probably in the Top 3 of the series so far, 20's not bad either. It was unfortunately going to be a decline from the previous episode, but it's still a good character piece that gives us more information and a bit more background on Astora. Both (actual episode spoilers for these two episodes, please beware)new Ultimate Appmon are nice upgrades on their designs and theming while still feeling like big jumps up in power. The pattern looks like it'll be continuing for the next couple of episodes as well so this is definitely an exciting part of the show moving forward.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really, all it was missing was the Wada Koji('s estate? I think he had passed at that time...) aproved To Ultimate Evolution image song. but this show is gunning to be its own beast so fair play to it.

That said, I do apreciate how a) They've despensed with the obvious re: L Corp and Leviathan (It would blow the mind of the 10 year old kid in Japan whose native language isn't English, tho though) and b) They're turning Leviathan into a more active threat by having Mienumon sabotaging and beating competition to make a presense in the real world. I sort of wish they introduced Waffle sooner in that regard but oh well.

Also, still loving Astora and his father's relationship. His father isn't fanaticaly pushing him to take up the Tea-School poisition full time and in turn he seems to mutually respect, and love, his father. It's an intresting inversion of how Parent- Digi-destened relationships of this type normaly work.

That all said, it would figgure that the series with the Half Brittish Digi-Destended would be absolutely shuned by Toei dub wise :v:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

As a single episode, 19 is probably still my favorite.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It really does have that Tai and Greymon running towards Error Network Etemon feel to it don'it?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

It really does have that Tai and Greymon running towards Error Network Etemon feel to it don'it?

There's a bit of that, but for me it's mostly that Omegamon feel of having to take down thousands of targets in seconds to save the day

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

There's a bit of that, but for me it's mostly that Omegamon feel of having to take down thousands of targets in seconds to save the day

Oh of course, good point on that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next - Saturday 30th May

Episode 21 - The Road to be Top Idol! Coachmon's Brutal Training!

quote:

Eri wants to become one of the selected members of Appliyama 470! To pass the audition, she undergoes strict training under Coachmon's tutelage! But is Coachmon secretly working for Leviathan?!

Episode 22 - Share Your Power With Me. The Meeting of Rei and Hackmon.

quote:

Two years ago, Rei was spending sleepless hours searching for his brother trapped in the sea of the 'net. But just as he caught Leviathan's trail, he ended up in danger of being hacked himself! Just then... Hackmon appeared!

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 30, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Getting some real "Senku got divorced" energy from Coachmon up and out breaking rank with Leviathan like that and oh boy is Oujamon the Leomon by way of Ultimate Muscle I never knew I wanted.

That said the series composition doesn't quite sit right. It feels like its rushing though backstory arcs like this. Also, why is every second or so Appmon a Stand?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next - 03 June

Adventure : is due to restart (that is to say at episode one) this weekend and just in time for the party to get crazy.
Might add it to the weekend part of the Simulwatch as one episode in that this week is a clip show so we'll see.

Episode 23 - Take Back the Seven Code Appmon! Ultimate Versus Ultimate!

quote:

The team can't reach the deep web until they take back Weatherdramon! As they race to retrieve the stolen chip from Mienumon, she too undergoes an App Fusion with an Ultimate Appmon!

Episode 24 - The Massive Cometmon's Attack?! Open the Door, Dantemon!

quote:

It's time to put the Seven Code Chips into the Seven Code Pad and summon Dantemon! But what's that thing coming down from the sky?!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Goodbye Mienumon. You were a really fun villain.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Dantemon is easily the most bonkers thing I think I've seen this franchise pull off.

And that's a franchise with Masaru 'Punch Mon' Daimon in it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I had actually been a bit behind, but I finally caught up last night and watched up to and including tonight's episodes. Most of the episodes have been solid, and yeah I'm really enjoying Astora's character arc (though it's kind of weird that he just refers to his mom as Jenny). Also I'm now even more curious what the deal is with Yujin, since the train episode seems to indicate that he is an actual person that ages and has a deep respect for Haru, so I don't think he's exactly a traitor for L-Corp, but then what is the deal with him that has been hinted at a couple of times since?

Ep 23: I enjoyed Warudamon and Revivemon helping save the day, though I wish we had actually gotten a more substantial fight against her. Oh well.

Ep 24:this episode felt pretty pointless, I'm not gonna lie. Dantemon is a cool design, but doesn't get to do too much before Leviathan turns them to stone. Also Cometmon....exists, and then doesn't :v: probably the weakest episode so far, but now our heroes are entering the deep web, and I suppose we are heading into our mid-season finale.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Eh, the last gag did a lot to propell it for me.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 4, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next : 06 June

Couple of pointers;
1) Episode 26 is a clip show and is entirely filler (as in there's litteraly no new animation AFIK)

2) The second OP and ED starts with #26 and contains blatant spoilers for events up to the end of Ep 27. As such I'll be putting the timecodes to skip the opening for those episodes.

3) Digimon Adventure : restarts this weekend and will catch up, providing all's good, on the 27th.

Episode 25 - Into the Deep Web at Last! The Mysterious Cyber Kowloon!

quote:

With the Seven Code Bands in hand, Haru and the others dive into the deep web! In Leviathan-controlled Cyber Kowloon, they manage to save Drawmon from a data-destroying program worm, but...,

Episode 26 - I'm a Protagonist?! My First Meeting with Gatchmon!
Timecode to skip OP : 2:18

quote:

The mystery of Leviathan is close to being solved! Time to look back on how Haru and the others met, and the hardest battles they've faced, while steeling our nerves to face off against Leviathan!,

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next - 10th June
Episode 27 - The Fifth App Driver!
Pre-Opening ends at 2:38 and Episode propper begins at 4:39

quote:

Eri's decided to start using Appter. But it starts producing tweets without her knowledge... Meanwhile, a powerful Leviathan assassin attacks the team! Who will appear to save them in their most dangerous hour?!
Episode 28 - App Drive Duo! Offmon Appears!

quote:

The battle with Sateramon is going south fast! But the one who comes to save them is Yujin, who's partnered with Offmon and uses the powerful App Drive Duo!

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 9, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Well Offmon is just the most adorable little bugger ain't he?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
13th June

Episode 29 - Buddies No More? Gatchmon Leaves Home!

quote:

Everyone's crazy about Offmon! Gatchmon is sulking about it, and decides to flee the secret base in Apprealized form! Dokamon and Musimon decide to run away with him too...,

Episode 30 - Dokamon in Love?! Dining App Maripero Attacks!

quote:

Eri's become a true master food reviewer! The female Perorimon, Maripero, comes to Eri to learn her secrets! But why does Dokamon have to look after her, then?!,

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Begining to think we should speed this up (By an episode a sitting) as Digimon Adventure is back on screens and the general steam is starting to wean on this.

17th June
Episode 31 - Travel Is About Companions?! Tripmon's Trip of Terror!

quote:

The App Driver team heads to a hot springs, but their travel app takes them to a creepy traditional inn instead! The scenery is scary and they get soaked to the bone... Something's got to be wrong here!,
Episode 32 - Let's Draw Him Out Together! Offmon the Shut-in!

quote:

Traumatized after injuring Yujin, Offmon shuts himself away from the team. Haru and the others try to devise different strategies to get him to come back out.,

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ConanThe3rd posted:

Begining to think we should speed this up (By an episode a sitting) as Digimon Adventure is back on screens and the general steam is starting to wean on this.

17th June
Episode 31 - Travel Is About Companions?! Tripmon's Trip of Terror!

Episode 32 - Let's Draw Him Out Together! Offmon the Shut-in!

I have been keeping up, but I usually don't have much to say or post about admittedly. I'm still really curious as to what's going on with Yujin, and it feels like we're currently at the mid-series lul point, where not much plot progress is occurring. On the last two episodes, I didn't really care for ep 29, as it both felt like a retread of ep 4 in some aspects and was just kind of boring (though I don't fault a kids show for dealing with the theme of kids wanting to run away from home). Ep 30 was pretty good though, and I laughed at the twist that venture capitalism saved the day.

I will say one thing, is that I feel like the linking mechanic has been severely underutilized, only coming back up a few episodes ago for using puzzlemon to distract shootmon. It feels weird that each applimon partner only has one specific super applimon and one specific ultimate applimon form, given that there is potential for so many combinations. And currently only Globemon has gotten a significant amount of screentime outside of their debut battles. I'm still invested in the show, but it feels like there is a lot of squandered potential, which is a bit of a bummer.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It does feel like they had one idea re applink and then the moment they realised they could do Xross Fussion again they just did and then skipped the part where the fusion matiral needed to be in the party.

That being said I feel we're starting to get somewhere with the story overall but this bit has been a bit of a slog.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Julias posted:

I have been keeping up, but I usually don't have much to say or post about admittedly. I'm still really curious as to what's going on with Yujin, and it feels like we're currently at the mid-series lul point, where not much plot progress is occurring. On the last two episodes, I didn't really care for ep 29, as it both felt like a retread of ep 4 in some aspects and was just kind of boring (though I don't fault a kids show for dealing with the theme of kids wanting to run away from home). Ep 30 was pretty good though, and I laughed at the twist that venture capitalism saved the day.

I will say one thing, is that I feel like the linking mechanic has been severely underutilized, only coming back up a few episodes ago for using puzzlemon to distract shootmon. It feels weird that each applimon partner only has one specific super applimon and one specific ultimate applimon form, given that there is potential for so many combinations. And currently only Globemon has gotten a significant amount of screentime outside of their debut battles. I'm still invested in the show, but it feels like there is a lot of squandered potential, which is a bit of a bummer.

As someone who has seen the whole series, without spoiling anything I’ll just say don’t expect a clear answer to the whole Yujin thing for quite a while yet.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
For a moment I had to wonder if that wasn't a simplified Digital Hazard insignia on Shutmon's chest

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 18, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

poo poo I forgot.

I'll grab my friend I've been watching with and watch the last 4 episodes.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
June 20th

Episode 33 - The Teen CEO! Unryuji Knight Appears!

quote:

To find his little brother Hajime, Rei and Hackmon dive back into the deep web. While searching for clues, they infiltrate the important individuals data center to steal top-secret information, but...,

Episode 34 - Thank You, Future! Welcome to the AI City!

quote:

Massive corporation L-Corp doesn't just create smartphone OSes and home electronics, they also sponsor Appliyama 470... and they've created a city run by artificial intelligence, which the whole gang gets to go see!,

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Of course the evil underling of Leviathan is called Cloud.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 20, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
24th June
Episode 35 - Become One of the Nine Goddesses! The Appliyama 470 Elections!

quote:

It's time for Appliyama 470's biggest event, the ranking vote! Eri's working her hardest to take the number one spot, but when the preliminary results come out, she gets the surprise of a lifetime!,
Episode 36 - The Election Results! Evil's Clutches Reach for Eri!

quote:

At last, the Appliyama 470 election results are revealed! Who will take #1? Who will be the new Nine Goddesses? Could Eri be one of them?! Meanwhile, Rei and Hackmon infiltrate L-Corp to investigate some mysterious video data!,

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just a quick note what with everything being on fire that the simulwatch is still on and its my intention to keep updating episodes until the end, wether that be of the series or SA itself.

Should it turn out to be the later, I will get something going on the discord server, more info and up to date invite links in the general thread.

To anyone who gets (or, understandability, choses to be) banned in the coming days, please allow me to give my heart-felt thanks for allowing me to do this.

See you on the other side of the singularity.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 24, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
27th June

Episode 37 - Attack! The Appmon Ultimate Four!

quote:

Haru and the others have saved Eri, but they're confronted by the Ultimate Four Appmon! The team Ultimate Apprealize all their Appmon to face them, but...,

Episode 38 - Take Back Gatchmon! Grandpa Deneimon's Test!

quote:

Yujin is captured by the Ultimate Four, and the App Drives are destroyed, meaning Gatchmon and the others are all gone! Haru is feeling adrift, when suddenly, he hears a voice from an unexpected place...,

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
37 was something else. Thank goodness we live in a world that's not currently falling apart or that would have been depressing, huh guys? :downs:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Y-yeah... :sweatdrop:

(I'm still a few episodes behind, been busy lately, though I'll try to catch up by next Saturday.)

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Yeah, life and other things have gotten in the way but I'm still following along. You can definitely tell that we're in the back half of the show now because things are having consequences beyond just 1 or 2 episodes. I feel like there's still a bit of exploration for certain characters, mainly more for Rei and Yujin but Eri had a great arc with the election and feels like a really strong character at this point. In fact, if the show ended tomorrow, I'd probably argue that she's the strongest character in the show at this point in regards to backstory and development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eri is probably the best female Digimon protagonist in years and as far as I remember stays pretty consistent throughout the whole series.