Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Isn't their HQ in Minneapolis?

Yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fister Roboto posted:

What you're seeing right now is backlash against a system that values material wealth over human lives. Target is part of that system. gently caress yeah, Target deserves it.

So are you going out tonight to smash windows and loot a Best Buy?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BigDave posted:

No. What's your point?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

BigDave posted:

I’ll have no issue when it happens and I will donate to causes like the the Minnesota Freedom Fund to bail out protestors.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fister Roboto posted:

No. What's your point?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if large retail chains are part of the problem of social inequality, and those stores are being looted and destroyed, then those store had it coming and deserve to be destroyed, correct?

Then by that same logic, all large retail chain locations, in all American cities, need to be looted and burned to the ground.

So following that same line of thinking, then you, personally, should go out and be a part of this social movement by breaking into your local Best Buy and stealing 20 Blu-ray copies of The Last Jedi.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BigDave posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if large retail chains are part of the problem of social inequality, and those stores are being looted and destroyed, then those store had it coming and deserve to be destroyed, correct?

Then by that same logic, all large retail chain locations, in all American cities, need to be looted and burned to the ground.

So following that same line of thinking, then you, personally, should go out and be a part of this social movement by breaking into your local Best Buy and stealing 20 Blu-ray copies of The Last Jedi.

This is a bullshit argument and I'm not going to dignify it with a response.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

BigDave posted:

If you hate Nazis so bad why aren't you seeking them out and harrassing and assaulting them daily? You must be a nazi if not then I guess :smug:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BigDave posted:

Oh loving lord

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kinda disgusted that out of nowhere The Epoch Times just starts showing up in my mailbox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Epoch_Times

Is there some way I can tell the post office I don't want conspiracy propaganda in my mail or?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

BigDave posted:

This is incredible.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
BigDave coming at you to consider praxis and ya'll just dismissing him smh

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
OK yeah that's bad.

Just give me a 6er now. :(

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, I'm pretty sure that lowtax would get in trouble if any of us were to openly discuss plans to riot, so there's that too.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

BigDave posted:

yeah, all by myself, and i'll post about it right here, like and subscribe

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm planning to smash capitalism by not preordering the new Diablo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I smashed capitalism with a USSR domination round of Axis and Allies, as they’re the only ideologically pure faction in the game.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Midjack posted:

I smashed capitalism with a USSR domination round of Axis and Allies, as they’re the only ideologically pure faction in the game.

:ussr:

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

rifles posted:

Nope, it's specifically exempted in language all over the place for guard members.

For instance, FAFSA has its own definition of veteran. I have a few friends on Title 32 orders right now in the guard, and this change will get them the 90 days to receive VA benefits like the post 9/11. FAFSA, however, only considers a guard member a veteran if they served at least one day on federal active duty (title 10 orders in the guard) for purposes other than training meaning that private joe idiot on an active duty contract who pops hot at reception and gets an entry-level separation with one day of service is considered a veteran by FAFSA, but SPC jimmy who has x years of successful service in the guard, who was on federal orders for 3-12+ months for initial training that he successfully completed, did 90+ days on Title 32 orders for this and gets some VA benefits, but has never been federally activated on title 10 for anything but training is not.

In practice this example means one of my friends whose parents can't afford to help him go to school is basically living in poverty. Ohio has a guard scholarship that pays his tuition, but he receives zero federal aid because his EFC is too high. He won't be able to use his military status to petition to be declared financially independent until he turns 24 (like anybody else), or until he gets even a single day on title 10 orders for other than training purposes. The same applied to me; I received zero aid for my first year of college, but as soon as I turned 24 I filed to be declared financially independent, and my EFC went to 0. I then started to receive a full Pell Grant, along with several other state grants. Now I even get a needs-based scholarship that was based on FAFSA eligibility and it makes my life pretty comfortable financially while I'm in school.

The guard gets the weenie in its own special ways.

This is why Guard folks go to school the second people they get off deployment/title 10 mobilizations.

Also the Guards bullshit way of counting time is why I commissioned as a O-1 instead of O-1E despite having been in for 9 years.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

That Works posted:

Is there some way I can tell the post office I don't want conspiracy propaganda in my mail or?

Just click the thumbs down on your mailbox and the USPS algorithm will take care of it for you, isn't the future great?

But seriously does the guy from their YouTube ads have a column or something? Do you have to look at his smug face every day?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Discussion Quorum posted:

Just click the thumbs down on your mailbox and the USPS algorithm will take care of it for you, isn't the future great?

But seriously does the guy from their YouTube ads have a column or something? Do you have to look at his smug face every day?

I've never seen their youtube ads thankfully so I am not sure. I flipped it open and got to the section just calling it CCP Virus every other sentence and then googled who the gently caress this even was. I did not know they were also antivax. As someone who works on microbes / immunology and teaches classes on medical microbiology and on pseudoscience / antivaxx it's loving unreal to just get antivaxx newspapers in my mailbox out of the blue. Reminds me how badly we are losing the information war on this poo poo.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Walz just called up the National Guard

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/___0HOUR1/status/1265853069436137472?s=19

lol

-lets a bunch of white looters go by
-tries to knife the first black person that comes out the door
-gets blasted by a fire extinguisher by a white dude

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

shame on an IGA posted:

Isn't their HQ in Minneapolis?

Saw this linked somewhere else:

https://twitter.com/IanColdwater/status/1265867904844693505

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Eej posted:

lol

Well she let the people who were finding things go free.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Eej posted:

lol

Yeah Andy Ngo was sharing this earlier trying to paint it as "look at this helpless elderly woman being attacked by ANTIFA!"

gently caress her.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1266130971344146433?s=19

So legit question, not smarmy: give me any plausible explanation for what we see on video that isn't murder and isn't magic negro strength we feared for our lives while outnumbering a cuffed man 4 on 1 BS that I really expect is the extenuating evidence.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/politics/election-voter-fraud-absentee-ballot-west-virginia/index.html

"I was just joking trying to commit voter fraud by changing democratic ballot requests for republican, I was just joking bro"

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Alaan posted:

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1266130971344146433?s=19

So legit question, not smarmy: give me any plausible explanation for what we see on video that isn't murder and isn't magic negro strength we feared for our lives while outnumbering a cuffed man 4 on 1 BS that I really expect is the extenuating evidence.

Well let me tell you, first off, that guy was no angel. Furthermore....

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah Andy Ngo was sharing this earlier trying to paint it as "look at this helpless elderly woman being attacked by ANTIFA!"

gently caress her.

There's another clip of her bawling and boo-hoo-ing afterwards, it is 110% bullshit playing to the crowd. Highlights include "I was peacefully protesting (with a knife)"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Alaan posted:

Qualified Immunity.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

facialimpediment posted:

Qualified Immunity.

The doctrine of qualified immunity doesn't apply to criminal cases.
If they no-file, maybe they'll trot out good 'ol excited delirium.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Well let me tell you, first off, that guy was no angel. Furthermore....

This is what it's going to be

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

There's another clip of her bawling and boo-hoo-ing afterwards, it is 110% bullshit playing to the crowd. Highlights include "I was peacefully protesting (with a knife)"

Right wing twitter is full of people lionizing the brave lady in the wheelchair defending herself from murderous looters lol

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

orange juche posted:

Right wing twitter is full of people lionizing the brave lady in the wheelchair defending herself from murderous looters lol

Lol, of course the chuds are saying that. They're so loving delusional. Those people were just stealing poo poo and trying to get away from her. Looters, by definition, just wanna steal poo poo and get away. Glad they defended themselves. She was stupid to even get involved. God only knows what she was thinking.

Wonder how many people she ended up stabbing. The victims might not have even noticed they got stabbed until later or until they were told they were stabbed, just due to the adrenaline.

So glad there are good street medics out there to treat people.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fister Roboto posted:

What you're seeing right now is backlash against a system that values material wealth over human lives. Target is part of that system. gently caress yeah, Target deserves it.

Can I still have concerns over how the damage will gently caress over the minimum-wage employees at that store even if I think the riot was justified overall or does that make a shitlib simpdem or whatever?

OK, if true this makes it loving funny as hell. Still sucks for the employees though.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 29, 2020

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://www.theonion.com/protestors-criticized-for-looting-businesses-without-fo-1843735351

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Does anyone have any info on what specific measures were in place at this Target that were its testing ground for surveillance and loss prevention? I googled earlier but couldn’t find much.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:nice:

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Does anyone have any info on what specific measures were in place at this Target that were its testing ground for surveillance and loss prevention? I googled earlier but couldn’t find much.

A rando on Twitter said it. Isn't that considered sufficient proof of everything these days with no further fact-checking required?

EDIT: No my brain isn't melted from spending the last two weeks editing and correcting footnotes and source quotes in my book's manuscript, why would you suggest such a thing? No you're the incorrect citation format :eng99:

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 29, 2020

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Hekk posted:

I am not from the area but it looks like looters had enough sense to loot the nicer areas instead of loving over the poor dumb bastards trying to eek out a living in the hood part of town.
The areas receiving the brunt of the damage are definitely not typically regarded as the "nicer" areas. That stretch of Lake Street has seen a lot of reinvestment from the city and there's a smattering of new-looking, mid-rise, affordable housing development going up on the transit corridor that internet onlookers seem to be confusing with ~*luxury condos*~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Mostly conjecture due to the close proximity to Target HQ. Also folks in that Target were stripping embedded electronics out the wall.

Saw a few periscopes of folks walking in post-loot. Had higher end modular shelving typical of retail prototyping locations.