Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Inspector_666 posted:

I wish I knew how to do this.
Here you go
New hobbies are always tough, but I know some guys who might have to take them up, because

the astros cheated in the world series and still lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Astros and only the Astros should have to give back half their salaries.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yowza.

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Resnick/status/1266182834127089666?fbclid=IwAR1HHU7r2V_EqQMDl9Y5r8pK_T0B05w_1fRIHMju1bfd0t8_pwvd9kgy2qU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

retired from the shame of having to be on a team with tebow

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I choose to believe a lot of that "to those not dedicated to this game" comments were a thinly veiled "gently caress you" to Tebow amongst others. Like, he made a point to bring him up.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 29, 2020

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Can't believe Tim angered a guy named Church that much

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
They are gonna need Big Mac and Slammin Sammy to do a lot of steroids next year to bring baseball back

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

This hasn't ruined baseball for me, because the owners have always shamelessly been like this

Nothing's changed. I am miffed though because we were supposed to have Mookie this year, and who knows how much of a difference that would have made

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jomboy breaks down joe west calling two balks on mark burhrle and ejecting him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRADU6P-q5g

angel hernandez coming from out of nowhere

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 29, 2020

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Inspector_666 posted:

Agitate, Educate, Organize

I'm pretty good at the first two but horseshit at the third because my Team Player ability got destroyed in late elementary school. I let other people do that.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Double post for this gem of a response.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Strelok604 posted:

This hasn't ruined baseball for me, because the owners have always shamelessly been like this

Nothing's changed. I am miffed though because we were supposed to have Mookie this year, and who knows how much of a difference that would have made

I grew up rooting for George Steinbrenner's team. I'm hardened to cope with a lot more of this.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

Can't believe Tim angered a guy named Church that much

lol

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

I'm looking at his BBREF and yeah after that AAA outing where he blew out his arm he was never the same.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I wonder how many people still mad at players for the 94 strike for "being greedy" will hold crushing the minor leagues against the owne-hahahahaha

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

R.D. Mangles posted:

I believe that may have been the season where Joe West was paired up with another horrible umpire and their crew had the most ejections by far of any other umpiring crew at the half season mark. I'm not sure if it was Angel and Joe or if it was Joe and someone else that had a quick hook.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know this is a selfish viewpoint that probably won’t be shared by most posters here, but I already wasn’t looking forward to this season so I couldn’t care less if we get baseball at all this year. Bring on the inevitable strike, gently caress the owners. Burn down 2020 and 2021 if you have to.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm starting to take comfort in the idea that Astros Nation will think they skated past the backlash and then Yankee fans will show up on the first day of Spring Training 2021 with their trash cans and crush those hopes.

Hell, even if it takes 2022. There's a benefit to having a fanbase filled with loud shameless assholes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Oh it has nothing to do with trying to skate past backlash, I’ve become straight up bitter and angry at the team over the last few months. They didn’t just steal a title from the league, they also used the scheme to empty the fanbase’s wallets through increased ticket sales and merch. World Champs jerseys and hats aren’t cheap, and then you consider all the folks who bought into season ticket plans because of 2017.

gently caress ‘em.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Baseball is over forever, thus is the price of crossing the Astros

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know you guys weren't but I was actually genuinely curious to see how it all played out with crowd sizes and responses. Like would there be less fans in Houston? More visiting fans? Would visiting stadiums draw more, boisterous crowds? Would anyone pull out my minor league dreams of mascots with trash cans and banging noises from the sound system? Sadly we lost a lot of that.

But it will always be alive in the Bronx.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

STAC Goat posted:

I know you guys weren't but I was actually genuinely curious to see how it all played out with crowd sizes and responses. Like would there be less fans in Houston? More visiting fans? Would visiting stadiums draw more, boisterous crowds? Would anyone pull out my minor league dreams of mascots with trash cans and banging noises from the sound system? Sadly we lost a lot of that.

I honestly can’t tell what the general vibe here is. You’ve got some homers who just don’t give a poo poo and will always support the team no matter what of course, but it seems like maybe most people are either largely indifferent or just don’t want to bring it up. I know there’s a (pending?) lawsuit some season ticket holders are trying to push through for the team defrauding folks by increasing ticket costs based on the championship but that’s the only really vocal “go gently caress yourself” contingent of locals I’ve heard about.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm still a fan of the team, I mean hell I've been pulling for them for over 30 years, but I've taken a step back from being so into it

But hell, every fanbase experiences disappointment in their players at some point

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

I'm still a fan of the team, I mean hell I've been pulling for them for over 30 years, but I've taken a step back from being so into it

I think this is how I’d normally feel if it had just been ownership, managers, and a select few players. But man the stats and analysis seem to indicate it was drat near everyone, and that really stings. I don’t hate any of the players and I’ll watch the occasional game from my couch, but the emotional investment for this current era is mostly gone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I didn't expect you guys to stop being fans or boo your team or anything. And I've long preached that us fans of hated teams just need to harden our skins and accept that we're gonna take some hits and its justified. But it was a tough one for you guys since it wasn't one player or the front office but just like the whole package. That poo poo's complicated and I was curious to see how MLB crowds treated a guy like Altuve and how he handled it. Especially since those early Spring Training stories made it seem like the first time someone said something really mean the Astros were gonna go all Bad News Bears on them.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Intruder posted:

But hell, every fanbase experiences disappointment in their players at some point

I’d actually forgotten about that with the world grounding to a halt past couple months. You monster. :negative:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

gently caress Mike Ilitch and his incompetent son

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dinosaurs! posted:

I’d actually forgotten about that with the world grounding to a halt past couple months. You monster. :negative:

Burn Trump's O face into your memory

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

RE: The Minor league bloodletting and other assorted owner-related horseshit

The best thing that could possibly happen to baseball would be if the major pro sports leagues lost their blanket antitrust exemptions. I can't think of any good reason they should have them.

Also, who knew that essentially being allowed to buy a sports team on margin like it's a stock could lead to problems?!?!?!?!?!?

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 29, 2020

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Not sure if this one has been posted here before, but it was my favorite baseball fight of all time

https://twitter.com/jomboy_/status/1243224506795266048

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/FrancysRomero10/status/1266196246353633280

David Price is a good dude. But this is also obscene that these workers need to rely on his charity because their billionaire employer is making GBS threads on them.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Got in an argument in the family group chat over this, where the "greedy players are ruining baseball" side offered such arguments as "Gerrit Cole wouldn't answer questions after the World Series, so why does he deserve $300 million" 😒

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

Come visit Minneapolis. We have such sights to show you.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So how is it going to work if MLB plays games this year but there's no minor leagues? I'm guessing everyone will be allowed 40 man active rosters for the entire season?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 29, 2020

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

General Dog posted:

So how is it going to work if MLB plays games this year but there's no minor leagues? I'm guessing everyone will be allowed 40 man active rosters for the entire season?

Expanded rosters plus a taxi squad that travels with the team is what's been reported. For example:

quote:

Rosters will reportedly be expanded to 30 available players per game — the number was already going to be bumped up from 25 to 26 for 2020 — and there will be a taxi squad available, giving the teams a total number of players possibly available per game of around 50.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb...ym1m5ilijxiqncv

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
In pretend baseball news: The Mariners have the best record in the AL 59 games into the season.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/sim/daily.fcgi#all_standings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0EZobdiJ4M

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Tony Phillips posted:

In pretend baseball news: The Mariners have the best record in the AL 59 games into the season.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/sim/daily.fcgi#all_standings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0EZobdiJ4M

Cubs in last place :yeshaha:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Twins and Royals paying their minor leaugers.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Pancakes posted:

Cubs in last place :yeshaha:

:yeshaha: :yeshaha: :yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

AsInHowe posted: