Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

90s Solo Cup posted:

Geez....I forgot about that aspect. Reading further through the twitter thread shows the kid's under the care of another family that hopes to adopt him, so that's a silver lining in a hosed up cloud, I guess?

Dude, once you look around the internet for what those fucks did to that kid, you just want to tie them to chairs and beat them with loving mallets.

They tormented that kid for instagram likes and youtube bucks. While they've got sponsorships and are making huge dollars, she's got a video of her on the beach with a cartier bracelet, saying that 500 dollar a month speech therapist is too expensive, so they are going to get one that is 70 dollars a month.

They duct tape his hands for sucking his thumbs. They make videos of them feeding him lemons and let the other children torment him. They mock him on their videos, and it's quite clear that he has grown to hate cameras.

They made months worth of videos without him in them, and curated all the comments to eliminate questions about him. They'd already dumped him at an orphanage. The other family fostering him is just a happy coincidence, they fuckin' abandoned that poor kid and continued to profit off of him.

The more you look at it, the more loving disgraceful it gets.

She used to be a registered nurse for like, a week, but was fired because she assaulted a pregnant woman by smashing a cart into her at work.

He has a youtube channel about detailing cars.

They are loaded and had all the time and resources to look after this kid and they just tormented the poor little bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1266231100780744704?s=21

Remember, property over people.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

trump rolled out of bed at 1am to tweet that he wants Kent State 2?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Welp, there goes my hopes that the Guard was going to quiet things down. He just had to make with the lovely macho rhymes.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

BigDave posted:

When they killed Philando Castile, I just assumed it was a one-off, that this was some paranoid cop who saw bad guys everywhere and killed the first black guy who raised his hand above his waist.

And now with these riots, I don't know. I guess my home isn't as good as I thought it was. Maybe its the fact that not only is it happening, but it's being actively cheered on and encouraged. Last week I thought everything was fine, but now I guess every cop needs to be summary executed, every major retail store and restaurant location needs to be looted and burned to the ground, and hell just gently caress everything and everyone. The system I've been a part of and contributed to since birth does nothing but create chaos and misery, my own personal actions are a part of the problem, and every part of the system needs to be destroyed. If you question any aspect of it, that maybe it's wrong to destroy a department store, or maybe not everything on Twitter is accurate, then it means I'm a bootlicker, a finger wagger, I'm a part why these riots are happening.

ignorance is only a sin when it's willful. sounds like you're close to some important realizations about what the system you've contributed to was doing to people.

it turns out we have goons on the ground:

MaxxBot posted:

I'll keep posting more pics I got a ton

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Godholio posted:

Nah. I actually was hoping there was some kind of federal capital punishment charge that didn't require death, but couldn't find one.

Treason, espionage, being a drug kingpin, being a drug kingpin and ordering or advising the death of a witness, juror, official or family member of the same in a drug case.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

live streams from the ground that I've seen:

https://www.twitch.tv/kswiftly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eZaOGehK6k

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Did trump genuinely just say that the NG will start shooting?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
First they came for Philando Castile and I said nothing cause yadda yadda

Then they came for Target retail stores and, man, I got opinions about that!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

First they came for Philando Castile and I said nothing cause yadda yadda

Then they came for Target retail stores and, man, I got opinions about that!

I'm pretty sure he was more horrified at the sight of a major city tearing itself apart, which is honestly a pretty reasonable position

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Did trump genuinely just say that the NG will start shooting?

Not directly, but the militia chuds will probably start pointing guns at protesters.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Not directly, but the militia chuds will probably start pointing guns at protesters.

He said they'd shoot if there was looting, and there has been looting, so...

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The thing about militia chuds is they are incredibly scared of black people, so I don't think too many are going to take up the invite.

As for the NG, I don't know anything about the MN NG, but I would bet they are more representative of and sympathetic to the community than the average cop.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Does Target stock trump brand merchandise?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

From "Make America Great Again" to "When the looting starts, the shooting starts" in just a little over three years.

Wow.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

lets have a break from all this minneapolis news

ah, here we are:

https://twitter.com/TessaDuvall/status/1266233262659100673

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm pretty sure he was more horrified at the sight of a major city tearing itself apart, which is honestly a pretty reasonable position

That wasn’t a shot just at BigDave but at the general way so many people go “oh my” or find excuses or ways to rationalize/minimize institutional racism amd abuse but then clutch pearls when the oppressed destroy property.

I mean, multiple people get literally killed by racism and the armed police of the state and it’s “we should investigate.” But when a strip mall gets ravaged, “this is no time for violence!” as cops or NG mobilize.

Then again, this country lost its poo poo over a black man protesting via quietly taking a knee.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Big Dave, you aren't the only one that feels that way
I'm just flabbergasted by the nihilism. As much as I hate making a South Park reference, my timeline is filled with underpants gnome logic:

quote:

1. Riots
2. ???
3. A just system
There's a conflation of the riots being "justified" with them being a positive tactic toward advancing the cause. Same with looting—arguing that "capitalism is the real looting" neglects to acknowledge the terrible loving optics that will push scared residents into the arms of the fundamentally broken police force.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: the awful people making decisions in the Twin Cities police forces appear to have actively invited rioting to win the public over to their side and accelerationists are giving them exactly what they want.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cugel the Clever posted:

Same with looting—arguing that "capitalism is the real looting" neglects to acknowledge the terrible loving optics that will push scared residents into the arms of the fundamentally broken police force.

It is true that Americans have a real problem with valuing property of businesses over the lives of minorities. hosed up, imo.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm just flabbergasted by the nihilism. As much as I hate making a South Park reference, my timeline is filled with underpants gnome logic:

There's a conflation of the riots being "justified" with them being a positive tactic toward advancing the cause. Same with looting—arguing that "capitalism is the real looting" neglects to acknowledge the terrible loving optics that will push scared residents into the arms of the fundamentally broken police force.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: the awful people making decisions in the Twin Cities police forces appear to have actively invited rioting to win the public over to their side and accelerationists are giving them exactly what they want.

This is the other side:
https://twitter.com/toddzwillich/status/1266237702208282624

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The gooey center isn't handling this pressure very well

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

other cities

https://twitter.com/INVESTMENTSHULK/status/1266236248420564992

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt1e43eX0W8

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is the other side:
I'm not the one you need to convince, it's the low information family a few blocks away that is terrified they will be personally impacted.

Should they also be worried about being impacted by wanton police crimes? Absolutely! But that's not what is front and center in peoples' minds right now.

We can explain amongst ourselves all we want how the other side is worse, but unless we can persuasively make that argument to the broader public, they're going to side with the strongman that says they'll take their fear away.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm not the one you need to convince, it's the low information family a few blocks away that is terrified they will be personally impacted.

Should they also be worried about being impacted by wanton police crimes? Absolutely! But that's not what is front and center in peoples' minds right now.

We can explain amongst ourselves all we want how the other side is worse, but unless we can persuasively make that argument to the broader public, they're going to side with the strongman that says they'll take their fear away.

I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

I expect a lot of people are going to object to being told they need to compromise with groups who see them as THUGS and are calling for shooting looters. 50+ years of taking the high road and still being dehumanized and murdered in the same way? What's the point?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jfreewright/status/1266210910215028737?s=21

This poo poo is old, but it’s one of the many things on my mind when fellow white dudes are like “sure America / the admin can dumb, but how bad are things really?”

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

White moderates are poo poo
100% agreed, but so how do we overcome that reality?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

100% agreed, but so how do we overcome that reality?

as a rule i defer to the people being gassed, shot, and strangled, to choose strategies

e: let's take a survey. you there, boy! what do you think?

https://clips.twitch.tv/TenaciousSlickOxDancingBanana

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 29, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

not caring here posted:

Does Target stock trump brand merchandise?

Their official color is red.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

So what's the alternative? Everybody go home and wait for cops to pinky swear that they'll stop killing black people? Maybe have a few peaceful protests that are easy and convenient to ignore?

This is happening not because it's the best option, but because there literally is no other option.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

So what's the alternative? Everybody go home and wait for cops to pinky swear that they'll stop killing black people? Maybe have a few peaceful protests that are easy and convenient to ignore?

This is happening not because it's the best option, but because there literally is no other option.
Organize. Fill the vacuum that the systemically-broken police force has deliberately left and show that the community is strong, united, and doesn't need some occupying force from the loving 'burbs to keep the peace.

Edit: hell, we've even seen this on a small scale with everyday folk intervening to stop bad actors and provocateurs, just not on the scale needed.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 29, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Hell I don't even disagree.

I just can't enjoy the sight of a city burning.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't like it either. But it's still happening, and none of us here can stop it.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hell I don't even disagree.

I just can't enjoy the sight of a city burning.

Depends on the city. I don't know anyone who isn't related to a Wahlberg somehow that would shed a tear if Boston was razed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I probably would, I enjoyed Boston.
Atlanta is a special case, since it was a city of literal slavers at the time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Depends on the city. I don't know anyone who isn't related to a Wahlberg somehow that would shed a tear if Boston was razed.

Does that include Foxborough? If not I may cry.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

May 2020 Current Events: Similar to how in The Division,

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
This is a lot of pent up frustration due to our governments leaders dropping the loving ball on this virus and a lifetime of police getting away with actual murder because of a badge.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

BigDave posted:

You know, I'm watching this all with a level of shock, that it happened here. I was really proud of being a Minnesotan, I really felt like Minnesota was something special in the US. I knew we had a troubled past, but I thought we had overcome that and we had a...a pretty good bead on things. A fairly robust welfare state, good benefits for single mothers and the unemployed, a progressive government, and strong environmental conservation.

When they killed Philando Castile, I just assumed it was a one-off, that this was some paranoid cop who saw bad guys everywhere and killed the first black guy who raised his hand above his waist.

And now with these riots, I don't know. I guess my home isn't as good as I thought it was. Maybe its the fact that not only is it happening, but it's being actively cheered on and encouraged. Last week I thought everything was fine, but now I guess every cop needs to be summary executed, every major retail store and restaurant location needs to be looted and burned to the ground, and hell just gently caress everything and everyone. The system I've been a part of and contributed to since birth does nothing but create chaos and misery, my own personal actions are a part of the problem, and every part of the system needs to be destroyed. If you question any aspect of it, that maybe it's wrong to destroy a department store, or maybe not everything on Twitter is accurate, then it means I'm a bootlicker, a finger wagger, I'm a part why these riots are happening.

And I know, that's not what everyone's saying, but it sure feels that way. I'm sure you guys are gonna jump all over me by explaining how the riots needs to happen, this is a community that's been brutally subjected and systematically disenfranchised, and that's why the Cub grocery store had to burn down, but I still can't shake the feeling that all of this destruction is wrong.

I like hanging out with you guys, and I wouldn't trade the friends I've made here for anything in the world, but I'm gonna take a break from GiP. This should probably be it's own thread, but I didn't intend to write this, it just kind of happened.

Anyway, I'll see you guys around. Hopefully this is over soon.

no you're right, the looting and destruction is wrong.

The system should've never failed the people to begin with. For the system and its syconphants to expect order from people who have been seeing citizens get summary executed by Cops in the street , is the textbook definition of fascism.

Its a tragedy, but it's clear who tipped the first domino.

But thats your home and i understand the conflicted feelings, good luck on your journey of peace and understanding while away from GIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

he really couldnt help himself.

had Frey been a mayor with (R) in his title, this tweet wouldnt happen.