Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

TheBizzness posted:

I actually think the first movie gets a bad rap. I understand the problems people have with it, but it has a couple decent jump scares (one all-timer) and I really enjoy the atmosphere and sound design.

I agree - it's definitely not a great movie, and it feels a little hollow going into it knowing who the killer is, but there's some good stuff in there including the absolute best corpse-through-window throw in the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

Every horror challenge there is usually one person who watches the series for the first time, and they are almost always positive experiences. Not that they like each movie, cuz inevitably there's a few that don't work for the viewer, but I can't think of one where the person said "I wish I hadn't done this, this series blows." Usually the most damning is "They were fun and enjoyable, I'm glad I watched it, even though they aren't my favorite."

Way to make a guy feel invisible.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

You're why Universal isn't here, hush

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Burkion posted:

You're why Universal isn't here, hush

The ONE time people listen to my longwinded nonsense!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Hahaha, my bad. I made the post without pulling open the thread and checking, so it was flippant of me! You are valued and loved.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Evil dead is gonna win this whole thing and it should. Not a bad piece of media in the whole series and introduced a lot of us to weirdo independent horror filmmaking. I have a lot of love for original Halloween but that series along with Friday has way too much trash. I’ll always have a soft spot for Raimi as a manic, innovative, cheesy comedy, campy, visually assaulting auteur.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Evil Dead is a clear winner over Halloween, no question, but it by no means should beat Romero.

All Evil Dead has going over Romero is a mythic consistency that shouldn't be taken as a given and a very strong protagonist. Its influence as indie horror isn't as important when it's going against one of the most important independent films ever made.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

WeaponX posted:

Evil dead is gonna win this whole thing and it should. Not a bad piece of media in the whole series and introduced a lot of us to weirdo independent horror filmmaking. I have a lot of love for original Halloween but that series along with Friday has way too much trash. I’ll always have a soft spot for Raimi as a manic, innovative, cheesy comedy, campy, visually assaulting auteur.

I know goons have the biggest hardon for it, but not at the expense of Romero. Surely?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I could go either way on Romero vs Evil Dead. NotLD is untouchable and there's no arguing it's an important and highly influential film, possibly more so than any other single movie that has been discussed in this thread. Dead/Day are both excellent as well, although I'm a little less hot on Day than some others are. Land/Survival are fine, although I think Diary is garbage. The Savini remake is good, and I enjoy the Snyder Dawn too.

However - Evil Dead is much more important to me personally than NotLD is. Evil Dead II is the film that made me fall in love with the horror genre, and it's my favorite out of any film in this bracket. Army of Darkness is the weakest point in the franchise, but that's not because it's bad (it's a solid B), it's just being compared to some of the greatest horror films ever made.

So yeah, sorry Romero, this tournament isn't about the best film or the most influential one - it's about the greatest franchise, and my heart says Evil Dead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Not sure why everyone seems to be assuming that Evil Dead is going to the finals. It has some vocal supporters but I still think Halloween has a very good shot to win the matchup.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As long as Jason doesn't win I'm happy. But ultimately I think the end result of this is going to be all of us looking at the full bracket and going "Yeah, okay, that makes sense."

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Not sure why everyone seems to be assuming that Evil Dead is going to the finals. It has some vocal supporters but I still think Halloween has a very good shot to win the matchup.

oops, for some reason I thought that was the match-up for this round. Halloween vs Evil Dead is a much easier decision for me. All four of the franchises still in the game are strong contenders but Halloween is my least favorite of them.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Y'all are talkin like notld v evil dead is a lock but if you want Romero in the finals y'all better start voting that way, just sayin

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jason will annihilate all comers.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm just bored of talking about Friday the 13th. Vote Romero, it's the ethical choice.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Y'all are talkin like notld v evil dead is a lock but if you want Romero in the finals y'all better start voting that way, just sayin
we need superdelegates in this poo poo

Also Jason doesn't want to win awards. Jason wouldn't vote for Jason.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 29, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

we need superdelegates in this poo poo

Also Jason doesn't want to win awards. Jason wouldn't vote for Jason.

Jason just wouldn’t vote.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

Jason will annihilate all comers.

Ain't nobody round here coming at the moment, at least not in company.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Friday the 13th is a decent but unimpressive beer like Blue Point

Evil Dead is a novelty cocktail in way too big a glass

Living Dead is an Old Fashioned

Halloween is a cold cup of coffee someone left on the copy machine

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 29, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Novelty cocktails are delicious and very alcoholic.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Y'all dont even know the joy of randomly noticing some leftover coffee in your cup when you thought it was empty (that's all the good movies that Evil Dead inspired, and when Sam Raimi lets loose with a non ED movie)
Heck, half of my coffee intake is from once used grounds with water left in the fridge for a couple hours (all the slashers inspired by Halloween/Friday)
Romero invented coffee.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think the coffee metaphor is apt, as long as it started out as a delicious cup of coffee, then a few minutes in you stirred it a bit so that the sugar and/or cream swirls up for another perfect sip, then it slowly gets colder and colder until you don't want it anymore. The final sip might be a bit better because the remaining sugar residue has built up, but it's not really worth it to drink it at that point.

Friday the 13th is more like a warm, flat Coors. Like, conceptually it had potential to at least be a cold, refreshing, somewhat-neutral if not ideal beer, but nobody bothered chilling it and now it's skunky.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 29, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Friday the 13th is more like a warm, flat Coors. Like, conceptually it had potential to at least be a cold, refreshing, somewhat-neutral if not ideal beer, but nobody bothered chilling it and now it's skunky.

Not agreed. Friday the 13th delivered the formula reliably for many years, it's beer is the most consistently cold over the longest amount of time out of any of these franchises.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I think the coffee metaphor is apt, as long as it started out as a delicious cup of coffee, then a few minutes in you stirred it a bit so that the sugar and/or cream swirls up for another perfect sip, then it slowly gets colder and colder until you don't want it anymore. The final sip might be a bit better because the remaining sugar residue has built up, but it's not really worth it to drink it at that point.
That was my implication.

On further inspection, I think Evil Dead might actually be a Tom Collins.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In a hypothetical scenario where its Evil Dead vs Romero I have no idea which way I'm voting.

But I don't believe that will happen. I'm resigned to our fate.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Neither Halloween nor Friday have the same number of consistent hits as the Evil Dead or Living Dead series. Halloween especially just slumps hard after the first movie, and doesn't really come up for air until Rob Zombie gets involved. While Jason, as much as he's a sweet boy, never really gets his stand out, silver bullet film. Which is why I'm guessing there's so much debate over which Friday is the best, none of them really are. They all have problems except for Part 3 which is perfect in every way.

So it absolutely should come down to Evil Dead vs Living Dead. In which case I'll be siding with Romero, but honestly that is going to be a super tight race. Unlike Evil Dead vs Jason, or Halloween vs Living Dead, which will just leave the slashers dead on arrival.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
BTW if it's not clear as actively pissed I was about Universal and how anxious I am about Romero winning, I'm the bitch who's going to be arguing for Friday over Evil Dead.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Man, you really dislike Evil Dead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

BTW if it's not clear as actively pissed I was about Universal and how anxious I am about Romero winning, I'm the bitch who's going to be arguing for Friday over Evil Dead.

I want a Halloween vs. Friday finals matchup and I'll be voting for either one of them in the finals over Romero/Evil Dead, assuming they don't both make it there.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
If Jason gets to the final round, those who think 8 is the best film will be the first against the wall.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

SomeJazzyRat posted:

If Jason gets to the final round, those who think 8 is the best film will be the first against the wall.

So, no one?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sono posted:

So, no one?

lol you can’t be that naive

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Anyone who votes against NOTLD is a NARC

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Part 6
Part X
Part 3
Part 4
Part 7
Part 8
Part Hell
Part 2
Part 1
Part 5

Fuuuucking fight me

Begun the Ranking Wars have

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 30, 2020

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hollismason posted:

Begun the Ranking Wars have
I refuse while there is still a chance to put that tired series down. If the nightmare scenario of Halloween v F13 is the final, I’m all for drowning out the actual vote with a massive flame war of deciding which F13 is least bad.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

david_a posted:

I refuse while there is still a chance to put that tired series down. If the nightmare scenario of Halloween v F13 is the final, I’m all for drowning out the actual vote with a massive flame war of deciding which F13 is least bad.

Too Late, you have already been conscripted into the war.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Stop loving with this tired Friday bullshit and let's do it....

1. Night of the Living Dead
2. Day of the Dead
3. Dawn of the Dead
4. Land of the Dead.
5. 2000s remake of Dawn
6. 1990s remake of Night
5. Diary of the Dead
6. Survival of the Dead

1. Evil Dead 2
2. Army of Darkness
3. Evil Dead Remake
5. Evil Dead OG

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

2. Day of the Dead
3. Dawn of the Dead
4. Land of the Dead.
5. 2000s remake of Dawn
6. 1990s remake of Night
5. Diary of the Dead
6. Survival of the Dead

1. Evil Dead 2
2. Army of Darkness
3. Evil Dead Remake
5. Evil Dead OG

This is a war crime

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I adore Romero, Dawn got me into horror movies and it’s a stone cold masterpiece. But in the end if I’m revisiting something it’s Raimi’s frantic, bizarre, kinetic vision over Romero’s flat, somber, methodical work.

Also Evil Dead never debased itself with poo poo like Diary of the Dead.

But these will both prolly lose before the final and it will be bullshit

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Timeless Appeal posted:

2. Day of the Dead
3. Dawn of the Dead
4. Land of the Dead.
5. 2000s remake of Dawn
6. 1990s remake of Night
5. Diary of the Dead
6. Survival of the Dead

I don't see any point in ranking the Living Dead movies. It's just a straight progression of diminishing returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

WeaponX posted:

I adore Romero, Dawn got me into horror movies and it’s a stone cold masterpiece. But in the end if I’m revisiting something it’s Raimi’s frantic, bizarre, kinetic vision over Romero’s flat, somber, methodical work.

Also Evil Dead never debased itself with poo poo like Diary of the Dead.

But these will both prolly lose before the final and it will be bullshit

I'm not sure how you can describe Romero as flat, somber, and methodical. At his heart Romero is a quickfire, dynamic, improvisational, guerrilla filmmaker. If you watch Night and Dawn, and count the seconds between cuts, you'll find that he never lets the camera rest on any single image for more than six seconds max. He's a master of that rapid, kinetic, machinegun fire approach.

He's just so good at creating pathos, and quiet emotional moments, that you'd be forgiven for thinking that his films are ponderous dramas. In reality he's the guy who gave us the blood pressure machine scene. He's a cinematic anarchist.

One thing that Raimi has over Romero is that he uses those techniques with more dramatic flare, but with less depth I'd argue. He'll quick cut on the same image from various angles, and use supremely aggressive panning shots, but a lot of the editing in the non-horror moments is more flat and unaccented.