Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Heners_UK posted:

Dude, have a quiet word with the people above your boss with a business version of your post written in a letter. Produce the irrefutable proof (e.g. incoming calls list on mobile bill) if you have it and it's wanted, but this is clear "have a word and get away from this guy" territory.

Like he said, there is no one above his boss other than the state education agency, who I don't think would give much of a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kyrosiris posted:

Like he said, there is no one above his boss other than the state education agency, who I don't think would give much of a poo poo.

Use phrases like "a potential danger to children/students". That'll make them respond real fast.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Use phrases like "a potential danger to children/students". That'll make them respond real fast.

it's Alabama, so no, it won't

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MJP posted:

We're gonna feel a seismic event coming from the southeastern United States when this bomb drops. I wish I knew someone in Denver to help the Larch Tsar Bomba along.

I'm around Denver, but I don't really have a professional network to help.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Kyrosiris posted:

Also like I said, we have been filing complaints for years and have gotten absolutely zilch as a response from them. It’s truly a hopeless situation in which the only winning move is to leave.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm not normally one to advocate burning bridges, but I'd have a really hard time not submitting (or at least CCing) the resignation letter to the state department of education. Yeah, it probably won't change anything, but it'll irritate the poo poo out of your boss.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Why even two weeks. Hr is leaving too and the boss won't give references

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
A ticket came in:

I mean, this is literally what the helpdesk is for.
You could have just hit "send" on this email instead of printing it, getting in your car, driving all the way to this building, and handing it to us.
Also we have told her like a million times to gently caress off with the printing bullshit.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

if she didn't email it i guess there's no way to prove that that piece of paper actually made it to you instead of ending up in a wastebasket somewhere along the way. what a shame

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How did she print if the printer isn't working

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A ticket came in:

I mean, this is literally what the helpdesk is for.
You could have just hit "send" on this email instead of printing it, getting in your car, driving all the way to this building, and handing it to us.
Also we have told her like a million times to gently caress off with the printing bullshit.

This is where you inform them the only way to get assistance is to open a ticket per the process they were taught (online ticket system, contacting the Helpdesk via email, etc...)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That goes in the shredder, and if anyone bitches about it, point to the ticket policy.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Also complain to HR that she's trying to spread covid to you.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it would be cool if my boss didn't constantly undermine our "ticket policy" by bending over backwards to help every single person who collars her walking down the hall. we're getting rid of our horrible old ticket system (because it was expensive, nothing to do with the years of universally negative staff feedback) and i have had a spiceworks cloud helpdesk ready to go for like two years, but i'm sure it'll end up just like our old one before the year is out where nobody uses it because it's always faster to just bug the technology director, who cannot say no to anyone

i know i have to get the gently caress out of this dysfunctional department but i'm trying to stick it out for two more years so my kid can go to preschool here for mega-cheap instead of paying like $1000 a month for some lovely daycare where he'll probably get covid

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
If a user does something stupid a second time after accommodating them the first time, they'll keep doing it forever long as you keep enabling the habits they're comfortable with.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Yeah we have a "green" policy that dictates that you print as little as possible and she was reminded of this.
My boss was informed of every attempt she made to get us to support her personal printer (which we do not do) and she was warned to stop asking. Furthermore I think like half her team told her to put in a ticket if she has a problem, and handing us a piece of paper doesn't count. Use the helpdesk.

I didn't pitch the paper because it's going to be left on HR's desk with an explanation of all the policies that were violated to produce it and deliver it to us.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

We have plans. PR, Admissions, and myself are all single person departments with too much foist upon us and we’re routinely publicly humiliated and bullied. So we’re all coordinating submitting our two weeks’ notices on or around the same day. We want to break this demon posing as a humanoid.

:bisonyes:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

larchesdanrew posted:

We have plans. PR, Admissions, and myself are all single person departments with too much foist upon us and we’re routinely publicly humiliated and bullied. So we’re all coordinating submitting our two weeks’ notices on or around the same day. We want to break this demon posing as a humanoid.

If you want to really gently caress him over, don't even give the two weeks' notice. Just leave a letter of resignation on your desk and walk the gently caress out.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If IT leaves who can process the terms.

Any automation accounts probably have a PW expiration on the same day of quitting unfortunately.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Please leave a mole inside to witness the inevitable meltdown. :allears:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Ya'll, I feel so bad for my replacement. After seven years of my acquiescing to every demand and making everything work with as little user interaction as possible while also being constantly denied the tools and services needed to do my job, my entire world is an absolute clusterfuck of custom tech fuckery that needs constant babysitting to continue working. Off the top of my head here's a few fun things that are going to crumble shortly after my leaving:

We run a hybrid exchange setup in which our email and online services are through Office365, but accounts and security groups are handled through an on-premises AD running Azure Sync. It's horrible, but it is what it is. If you aren't running a DC with Exchange installed, most usable attribute fields aren't available, and online exchange only accepts attribute field fuckery when dealing with directory synced accounts. Essentially, I can't use the Exchange Online Admin Portal to do most anything involving users, like hiding them from the GAL or changing permissions. I'm hesitant to install exchange on our only working DC and I don't care enough to try to migrate to a new one without a single second of downtime (which is the only acceptable amount), so my workaround is to use Azure Sync's attribute field redirect function to just take never-used junk attributes and trick Exchange Online into thinking they're the appropriate fields. It works :shrug:

The downside to this is that I've become very reliant on automation using attribute field contents. Licensing, mailing lists, permissions, logins, network share access, printers, everything basically runs off a very tenuous and precariously pieced together amalgamation of scripts and field maps that has somehow been turned into an indecipherable but functional system of user account management and my replacement is going to walk in and wonder what the gently caress they're looking at. It's all documented and it can be reverse engineered with some diligence, but, even with the instructions in front of you, it is an absolute mess.

We have a stack of mystery servers that controls our distance learning. When I began this job seven years ago, the first project put on me was a half million dollars to set up a distance learning system. By the time I started, they were halfway through and the whole system had been finalized; I just had to supervise the install. Simple. The whole system is a small network rack consisting of four servers. Seven years ago, I knew what they did and how to maintain them. I do not know how to do this anymore. These machines run by the grace of mercy alone. The distance learning classroom aspect never worked out due to scheduling issues with other schools, so it has become a glorified recording studio. It works, but someday soon it will fail spectacularly and the guy who installed and configured the whole thing is now dead and no one knows the passwords to access anything.

We have several Mac labs, an iPad cart, and more than a few employees on Mac devices. I have used Apple Configurator to deploy all of these. I requested a dedicated Mac for IT that would be used as a server for any Mac specific services and as the supervising device for all these machines. The request was denied, so all of these devices have been configured using my personal 2013 Macbook Air. As supervised devices, the supervising device needs to be used to change anything set by Configurator and boy is it a lot. Every Apple device is going to have to be factory reset and reconfigured.

There's also a fun one having to do with dynamically generated distribution groups in Exchange (that aren't usable for anything but sending mail) and a script that then translates those into static distribution groups that ARE usable for other things. For this to work I have to set up a dynamic group that pulls people based on department, then create an associated static group and update the script to run at 4:00am every day to dump the contents of every static group and recreate them from the dynamic groups. This way I have an automated way to keep exchange groups up to date when a user is off-boarded. This isn't really documented anywhere. It's just some dumb thing that sort of works that I came up with at 3:00am two years ago and it's been running ever since. Oh, also the script runs on the server that controls our card readers because I had the wrong remote desktop window open when I wrote the script and scheduled the task and it works so I just haven't touched it since.

Now that I type all this out, I think I'm just really poorly organized. I get results, but at what cost?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

but at what cost?
From the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like it's cost your employer much - so it seems as though they've gotten what they paid for?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

larchesdanrew posted:

We run a hybrid exchange setup in which our email and online services are through Office365, but accounts and security groups are handled through an on-premises AD running Azure Sync. It's horrible, but it is what it is. If you aren't running a DC with Exchange installed, most usable attribute fields aren't available, and online exchange only accepts attribute field fuckery when dealing with directory synced accounts. Essentially, I can't use the Exchange Online Admin Portal to do most anything involving users, like hiding them from the GAL or changing permissions. I'm hesitant to install exchange on our only working DC and I don't care enough to try to migrate to a new one without a single second of downtime (which is the only acceptable amount), so my workaround is to use Azure Sync's attribute field redirect function to just take never-used junk attributes and trick Exchange Online into thinking they're the appropriate fields. It works :shrug:

That is the classic tell of a Active Directiry that had exchange installed once in its lifetime(activating dirsync on its own won't inhibit changing attributes on the office365admin panel).

Microsoft in its infinite wisdom doesnt support to have an AD with exchange, migrate everything to exchange online and then decommission exchange. In that scenario you will have to keep at least one node operational(to make changes, you could stay indefinetily without the exchange node as long as you don't mind doing changes over adsiedit).

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

larchesdanrew posted:

Now that I type all this out, I think I'm just really poorly organized. I get results, but at what cost?

Doing a quick fix to get stuff working is fine and a valuable skill. The problem is your employer will not allow any sort of budget or downtime to implement the correct long term solution. A whole lot of blame is going to probably be cast your way, but ultimately it all falls on management for not allowing any sort of best basic practices.

:ohdear: "Hey we need a new AD server, this setup is a house of cards and it's looking windy."

:thunkgun: "Hmm, well it's working now so we don't want to spend that money, it can run a few more years right?" Repeat until failure.

D. Ebdrup posted:

From the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like it's cost your employer much - so it seems as though they've gotten what they paid for?

:yeah:

At my place we're now running into a fun issue where VPN software is breaking, and we have no way to remote into offsite PCs unless they're on VPN. I've been screaming for a proper remote support tool for about three months now, and management gets pissed "They don't want ANYONE coming back on site!" Well the PC is pretty much fuckin' dead now, so the hell you want me to do? Don't send 90% of the company offsite with zero tools to support them properly.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

larchesdanrew posted:

When I began this job seven years ago,

weren't you at the TV station just a few years ago? or were you doing both? or does it just feel like seven?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

Ya'll, I feel so bad for my replacement. After seven years of my acquiescing to every demand and making everything work with as little user interaction as possible while also being constantly denied the tools and services needed to do my job, my entire world is an absolute clusterfuck of custom tech fuckery that needs constant babysitting to continue working. Off the top of my head here's a few fun things that are going to crumble shortly after my leaving:

The downside to this is that I've become very reliant on automation using attribute field contents. Licensing, mailing lists, permissions, logins, network share access, printers, everything basically runs off a very tenuous and precariously pieced together amalgamation of scripts and field maps that has somehow been turned into an indecipherable but functional system of user account management and my replacement is going to walk in and wonder what the gently caress they're looking at. It's all documented and it can be reverse engineered with some diligence, but, even with the instructions in front of you, it is an absolute mess.

We have a stack of mystery servers that controls our distance learning. When I began this job seven years ago, the first project put on me was a half million dollars to set up a distance learning system. By the time I started, they were halfway through and the whole system had been finalized; I just had to supervise the install. Simple. The whole system is a small network rack consisting of four servers. Seven years ago, I knew what they did and how to maintain them. I do not know how to do this anymore. These machines run by the grace of mercy alone. The distance learning classroom aspect never worked out due to scheduling issues with other schools, so it has become a glorified recording studio. It works, but someday soon it will fail spectacularly and the guy who installed and configured the whole thing is now dead and no one knows the passwords to access anything.

We have several Mac labs, an iPad cart, and more than a few employees on Mac devices. I have used Apple Configurator to deploy all of these. I requested a dedicated Mac for IT that would be used as a server for any Mac specific services and as the supervising device for all these machines. The request was denied, so all of these devices have been configured using my personal 2013 Macbook Air. As supervised devices, the supervising device needs to be used to change anything set by Configurator and boy is it a lot. Every Apple device is going to have to be factory reset and reconfigured.

There's also a fun one having to do with dynamically generated distribution groups in Exchange (that aren't usable for anything but sending mail) and a script that then translates those into static distribution groups that ARE usable for other things. For this to work I have to set up a dynamic group that pulls people based on department, then create an associated static group and update the script to run at 4:00am every day to dump the contents of every static group and recreate them from the dynamic groups. This way I have an automated way to keep exchange groups up to date when a user is off-boarded. This isn't really documented anywhere. It's just some dumb thing that sort of works that I came up with at 3:00am two years ago and it's been running ever since. Oh, also the script runs on the server that controls our card readers because I had the wrong remote desktop window open when I wrote the script and scheduled the task and it works so I just haven't touched it since.

Regarding the exchange bit, we do the same thing. It's a pain in the rear end, but any half decent system administrator who has experience dealing with a hybrid environment should be able to sort that all out and digest it in about a week. Don't feel bad for your replacement in that sense.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

divabot posted:

weren't you at the TV station just a few years ago? or were you doing both? or does it just feel like seven?

Oops, I rounded up and then up again. it'll be 6 years in January.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

larchesdanrew posted:

Oops, I rounded up and then up again. it'll be 6 years in January.

Holy poo poo I've been following your IT career that long?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Holy poo poo I've been following your IT career that long?

And that’s only half the time you’ve been on sa

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

larchesdanrew posted:

Ya'll, I feel so bad for my replacement.

I don't think they'll rehire your position. They'll do one of the following:

- hire someone who is totally unqualified (and would gently caress up even given a good starting point)
- hire an MSP who will come out, look everything over, give them an exorbitant estimate to pay off years of technical debt, and either be paid to rip everything out and start over or just sent on their way
- throw up their hands and say "gently caress it, we're not doing tech any more, the teachers are on their own to figure everything out" (which probably leads to the superintendent being fired, possibly as a result of the school being dissolved)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

- dump the workload onto non-technical staff after paying some consultants who recommend 'the cloud' for everything and present some whitepapers about how IT staff are no longer necessary

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think they'll rehire your position. They'll do one of the following:

- hire someone who is totally unqualified (and would gently caress up even given a good starting point)
- hire an MSP who will come out, look everything over, give them an exorbitant estimate to pay off years of technical debt, and either be paid to rip everything out and start over or just sent on their way
- throw up their hands and say "gently caress it, we're not doing tech any more, the teachers are on their own to figure everything out" (which probably leads to the superintendent being fired, possibly as a result of the school being dissolved)

Thanks Ants posted:

- dump the workload onto non-technical staff after paying some consultants who recommend 'the cloud' for everything and present some whitepapers about how IT staff are no longer necessary

Option E: All of the above, in order.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Happy page 300 thread!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

This is the kind of thing you need to stand firm on. There is no way any employer knows you have a Macbook Air unless you tell them, so never tell them and if they magically find out and ask you to use it you lie and say it's your uncle's dog's sister's owner's niece's and you're fixing it up as a favour so you can't possibly risk the <insert organisation> by using a device of unknown malware content on the network.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh also, larches: on your way out, call the local paper and the TV station*. Again, local reporters love juicy education stories, and I bet they'd be thrilled to cover a story where several key district employees are resigning en masse, and having reporters banging on the door while everything's burning down would be a cherry on top of the poo poo sundae you'd be serving the superintendent.

*lol maybe not the one you used to work at though

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

D. Ebdrup posted:

Larches, you should put that somewhere in the documentation where the next sucker will see it. You did great with what you had, which turned out to be a lot of liquid poo poo and some polish.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Macbook Air has sentimental value and the family member you borrowed it from won't accept any less than $6000 for it

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Thanks Ants posted:

The Macbook Air has sentimental value and the family member you borrowed it from won't accept any less than $6000 for it

It has hotkey stickers for Ableton (from when said family member wanted to be a DJ for all of 3 days) and we had to have the daughterboard replaced, so obviously it's worth more than it was new. Those are upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

This ticket came in to our helpdesk, and I just can't parse what might be happening here.

quote:

There is way too much ring tones on my computer when the mouse moves, when anything happens. Driving me nuts, nuttier.