Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

superhot is also one of the games that was literally free for anyone egs and has been in approx 100 bundles and on other sub services

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Before the thread gets locked, someone has to do a list of all the thread titles that have been used.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So long and thanks for all the lols.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Isn't that Samurai Showdown Collection that just got announced this week gonna be free on EGS next month? That's pretty cool.
Yeah, it'll be on EGS for free for a week before launching in non-free form on Steam, then on consoles a week and a bit later.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Meanwhile, Steam is directly integrating GeForce Now into the Steam client
Cool, there were rumors of this a ways back but it's nice to hear something more solid. There were rumors of Valve including their own subscription service alongside third-parties, but it's probably smarter (at least from a not-pissing-millions-up-the-wall-on-server-hardware perspective) to just give existing providers the keys to their streaming tech and licensing system. Interesting to see it be opt-in on the developer/publisher side, should minimise all that weirdness with games getting withdrawn like with GeForce Now's launch....

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am not permabanning HA because even though he has been weirdly shilling, they did not join SA just for the purpose of defending Stadia. If the account was brand new and coincidentally appeared alongside Stadia it would be obvious that it was astroturfing, but HA has been here for a while.

That to me means they simply happen to work for google on the side, like the project, and thought they would post in the thread with everyone. We do have real developers and people in the industry posting elsewhere and talking about their products so I do not want to single them out for anything. A week off for linking to a fraudlent keys site is fine for the moment.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

How fitting that he continued to act like a tool and will miss this threads (first) final moments when VG closes on Sunday.

HA, I hope you take this time to reflect that your employer shouldn't be your whole life/creed and it's okay if Stadia fails or takes more than 5 years to get better and actually get good numbers.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gobbeldygook posted:

Oh gently caress yeah. See, this is how you do it. My biggest problem with GeForce Now is that it's a right pain to have to sign in to a particular service on every bootup (made harder with 2FA), and this will eliminate that at least for the Steam stuff.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It occurred to me, even when Stadia is at its best it is about as practical and relevant to potential customers as renting this weird turbo tractor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yHl24QynOM

Gobbeldygook posted:

Somehow, I don't think this is good for Stadia :ohdear:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Barudak posted:

Whoever showed the games from humble monthly they selected, thank you for not selecting Bard's Tale IV.

It's that bad, huh?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
At this point I think ha is worried someone knows who he is in google and that if he badmouth's stadia he will end up fired.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I don't know why the gently caress he would post a website that sells fraudulently acquired cd-keys though.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

if we are counting illegal activities as a feature, having a decent gaming pc has infinite value compared to stadia thanks to piracy. hell, almost every console is moddable, stadia would be very difficult to pirate stuff for. wow what a lovely product.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Celexi posted:

At this point I think ha is worried someone knows who he is in google and that if he badmouth's stadia he will end up fired.
I don't know how much more of a negative response he could have created. His "job" is probably safe because his posts are in line with all the other forum posts Google have bought, but I'd sooner believe he works out of a Bangladeshi click farm than Mountain View.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Celexi posted:

I don't know why the gently caress he would post a website that sells fraudulently acquired cd-keys though.

I think the best explanation is that it's just another example of Google clearly demonstrating they know approximately dick-all about the video game industry.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Just for fun, I decided to sign up for Stadia - free trial and all that, and I figured - hey, maybe it would be fun to talk about the games.

So, first up was Spitlings.

This could easily have just been a browser game, but hey, you know, why download a couple hundred megs of data when I can get a 4K stream at nearly 20 times the bandwidth.

First thing I encountered - quitting the game was a pain in the rear end. There's no quit button. Now, I'm using keyboard and mouse. But still, having your quit option hidden behind having to hold escape, not cool.

Spitlings is also... well, really dull. Like, 5 minutes of playing and I gave up because there seemed to be nothing. Like, I get it - 5 minute game review, but this is an exclusive. It did nothing to grab me. In fact, it did a lot to lose me in those first few minutes.

First up was the keyboard controls. The initial controls were something weird like JKLQE and spacebar. So I rebinded them, but apparently that doesn't matter since it just used WASD? Or something. Then there was the opening cutscene. It's done a comic book style where you have to click enter to go through each panel. As opposed to just going through each picture on a timer and moving quickly like that. Interactive! My other option was "Cancel." "Continue" and "Cancel." What does cancel mean in this context.

I work in software, and I can tell you that UX 101 is that cancel should mean something. It's literally the first thing they teach you. When you give someone the option to cancel, they should be canceling something. Cancel was the option to skip the cutscene - which is not cancel, but skip. Why they couldn't figure this out, and why this didn't come up in testing, I don't know. And given how this is a STADIA EXCLUSIVE, you think Google would also want to make sure the user experience was good. I go through an overly long comic book, get confused by cancel, and then get into a game that doesn't do anything but have overly long tutorials you can't fail... why do I want to play this again.

The menus felt a little laggy. The game didn't.

Let's talk about the store UI for a moment:

The purchase button is hidden.

So when talking about screens, there's this idea of "Above the fold." You put your most important things up front. That's why on Amazon, the buy button is at the top of the page for the item on the right. It's there. You see it. You can click it.

Stadia instead puts it beneath the fold. In order to see it, I have to scroll to it.

Come on Google. This is UX 101. Put the most important actions up front. It's the second lesson they teach you. Lesson 1 - cancel should mean something. Lesson 2 - important actions up front. I was actually confused, and launched a trailer for the game. I thought that pushing the big play button would actually, you know, play the game. But that's stupid. I had to scroll down to see the claim button.

So as a user, my first experience is "Boy, this is a pretty crappy experience."

I claim Serious Sam collection. And I go to the home page, and this is what I see:
https://imgur.com/mszVoQi

Yeah, so why can I only see Serious Sam Collection. Spitlings is behind it, I have half a brain, and I can figure out that I click there to play spitlings, but it looks broken.

Now to play a game, I have to select it, and then I have to hit the play button. Oof. More UX problems.

Problem #1 - the play button either starts the game or starts a video. Now, most users aren't going to be confused, but in the store, you taught me the play button starts videos. Now, they are differently styled, but it's not 100% clear. But let's talk about the clicks I had to do. I had to do two clicks to start the game.

Now, when we talk about click counting, I don't care about number of clicks. That's a bad metric to go by. In fact, more clicks can be more usable. But what I really care about is the meaning and value of each of those clicks. Click one selects the game, but click two...

Well, what do I do? My only option is to click play. There's no other buttons on the screen. What if I made a mistake? What do I do?

Well, obviously, I would click outside of the game box. And that will take me back to the main screen. But still, why not add a little X to the game corner? Make it clear that this is a confirm screen. Then you make both of my clicks valuable!

So I tried Serious Sam. So, it's interesting experiencing the latency first hand. It's less that it feels like I hit a button and then 10 seconds later something happens. Rather, it feels like everything is heavier. It's hard to explain what the lag feels like. It's just off a little bit to make it playable, but it feels wrong.

What didn't help was the framerate. I played for a few minutes, and I started encountering areas where frames were either being dropped or the framerate was dipping. I don't know. But still. Power of the cloud and all that. Couldn't you make your games play at 60 FPS? Especially a 20 year-old FPS?

And seriously - this "Your Games" nonsense is broken. Here's what I see after exiting Serious Sam:

https://imgur.com/kQhZv6p

What happened to Serious Sam? Oh, if I scroll up, it comes back. But it looks like it's not present! This is a bug. I don't care if it is functioning as designed, it looks wrong, and so therefor, it is. But think about that - what might I do after quitting a game? I might want to go back to playing the game. Why would you ever hide that from me?!

So let's talk about the buttons at the top of your window. There's Stadia icon, home, and store. The icon and home do the same thing. Why the gently caress do you have two buttons that do the same thing. UX 101 - try to only have one way of doing something. If a second way is required, make sure it makes sense. But it's weird to have two buttons next to each other that do the exact same thing.

Also, it's weird that you can click on a button when you're already at that location. It serves as a refresh I guess? I'm not really sure. It just feels weird. That's a minor thing. The two buttons that do the same thing - that's a pet peeve of mine and it would have never gotten past my review.

Next I tried Stacks on Stacks on Stacks.

The game actually seems legit cool. But that whole leaden feeling that Stadia gives. It really feels like I'm playing the games underwater. Also, I got video break-up! Hooray! Fun annoying thing about this game - on some menus the mouse works, on some menus the mouse doesn't work. How will you know? You don't! Once again, this is a Stadia exclusive. I'm surprised Google didn't do their own playtesting to make sure that the game leaves a pleasant experience.

Talking about unpleasant:

Every time I start a game, Google tells me to read the health and safety information.

Before I play EVERY loving GAME.

And then after every loving game is a survey. It's annoying. It just adds more bloat to the experience. But hey! Google Stadia... I think.

I tried Gylt, to finish off my demo, and uh... yeah. Same thing. It felt heavier. It had issues with framerate.

So what's my opinion about Google Stadia?

I just don't get it. A lot of what's available doesn't need streaming. The user experience feels really sloppy. It's not bad. It's just careless.

But it's the latency that kills it. It's like everything is underwater. I think the more you play, the more you adapt, but there still is that feeling that something is wrong. I tried Doom 2016, and I knew the difference. It felt responsive.

Stacks on Stacks on Stacks seems like it could be fun though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shumagorath posted:

I don't know how much more of a negative response he could have created. His "job" is probably safe because his posts are in line with all the other forum posts Google have bought, but I'd sooner believe he works out of a Bangladeshi click farm than Mountain View.

Nah, their click farms have made very Filipino typos like “tradicional”, unless they diversified.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

raditts posted:

It's that bad, huh?

Its so bad, even in its massively upgraded enhanced edition form, I am embarrassed Microsoft bought them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Its so bad, even in its massively upgraded enhanced edition form, I am embarrassed Microsoft bought them.

InXile is so fuckin' bad at most stuff. It's kind of tragic, they're composed of people who made some really great games but just... stopped learning. Even their 2004 or 3 Bard's Tale game was better than BTIV. Torment Numenera was... interesting but not good. They cling to obtuse poo poo being what people liked about old CRPGs instead of thoughtful challenges and just constantly gently caress up revival stuff while Larian and Obsidian knock it out of the park.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
To be fair, The Outer Worlds was about a quarter of the size it needed to be and combat was weak in the same vein as Alpha Protocol. However, I only paid one dollar to find that out because Game Pass for PC is an amazing deal. Say what you want about the Windows Store but I've been lucky with it, I guess. It also sounds much better than Epic or the stadia which must be shockingly bad.

Oh, and I didn't have all the awful heavy-fluid waste of streaming it.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Oh noes! Who would have predicted this!

Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick says that Google Stadia overpromised on its technology, and didn't seem to expand the market like it had hoped

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/google-stadia-overpromised-on-its-tech-says-taketw/1100-6477893/

Weedle
May 31, 2006

quote:

"Streaming technology is upon us," he said. "The launch of Stadia has been slow. I think there was some overpromising on what the technology could deliver and some consumer disappointment as a result."

Most of his comments, though, were focused on the business aspect. Zelnick was critical on that point as well, appearing to suggest that it doesn't have immediate plans for Stadia and stressing that it wasn't the "game-changer" it was made out to be.

"Anytime you broaden distribution you potentially broaden your audience, which is why we supported the release of Stadia with three titles initially and will continue to support high-quality streaming services as long as the business model makes sense. Over time I believe streaming will work... The belief that streaming was going to be transformative was based on a view that there were loads of people who really had an interest in interactive entertainment, really wanted to pay for it, but just didn't want to have a console. I'm not sure that turned out to be the case."

wow just like literally everyone said

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Valve adopting Nvidia’s approach is going to be a big deal. Rightfully, people will see streaming as a value add on top of regular distribution services instead of something locked down to a specific platform.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

"some overpromising"

Really curious about those RDR2 sales numbers on Stadia versus whatever projections Take-Two had for their megafranchise.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

I love the Stadia Community posted:

We live in a day and age where information travels faster than ever, and so do our impressions of things, and they say nothing is more important than the first impression.

When Stadia was first announced, the vocal gaming community from what I saw, was negative and skeptical. Then upon it's release, the vocal gaming community was toxic towards Stadia.

But through all that negativity, I am so impressed how the Stadia Community has been so adamant to curate positivity and cooperation. Sure every know and then there is someone having a bad day, but overall from what I see is an incredible amount of support for the platform, and for the people involved (from devs to consumers).

It's so nice that with all the hellscapes of the internet that I seemingly voluntarily include myself in, I know when I go to r/Stadia that it's respite by comparison.

Thank you all so much for being kind to one another.

Since the Stadia Connect just 4.5 weeks ago, all of the following has happened posted:

They've added more than a dozen new games (already released or coming out in days):
  • Get Packed
  • Octopath Traveler
  • Monopoly
  • PUBG
  • Zombie Army 4
  • The Turing Test
  • Doom 64
  • Embr
  • Johun: Valhalla Edition
  • Sundered: Eldritch Edition
  • Superhot
  • Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
  • Panzer Dragoon Remake
  • Little Nightmares
They've announced even more games coming this year:
  • Elder Scrolls Online (in three weeks no less)
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  • Madden NFL
  • FIFA
  • Wave Break
  • Crayta
  • Gunsport
  • Just Shapes and Beats
  • Jedi: Fallen Order
  • Chorus
  • Serious Sam 4
  • F1: 2020
  • PGA Tour 2k21
  • Mafia 2 Remastered
  • Mafia 3 Remastered
  • Metro 2033 Redux
  • Metro: Last Light Redux
They've made updates to the platform itself:
  • 1440p support for games that have that resolution
  • Wireless controller support for Chrome
  • Captures from the Android app
This has been an absolutely crazy month for Stadia. A wild departure from last winter, to be sure! If they keep up this pace, we'll definitely hit the 120 games they mentioned back in Q1 and probably moreso.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
If only HA were here to reassure us that, in fact, Stadia is super successful and RDR2 on Stadia actually well oversold expectations and that this is the future of gaming, and also to tell us what new shovelware from 6 years ago is now available on the Stadia store today.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Can't wait to play a 6 year old MMO in the most barebones manner possible without mods on a compressed stream.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

"curate positivity and cooperation" is good doublespeak for "ban all dissenters"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Yeah, I could definitely see a crap load of kids jumping on Stadia after their parents refuse to buy them the latest and greatest $500 next gen console.

quote:

True but I'm not sure how much that will matter to kids if there parents refuse to buy them a next gen console and games start being released that aren't available on the old console they currently own but are available on Stadia.

With video game industry veterans on the Stadia team like Phil Harrison, Jade Raymond, etc, I'm sure they know their platform needs to be competitive with next gen consoles in order to succeed. Whether that's helping devs get more out of Stadia's current hardware or upgrading it, I am optimistic that they're on top of it but we'll see.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick is clearly just a troll farming for clicks who hasn't even bothered to try Stadia. I mean, who is this guy? I've certainly never heard of him.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah because those are the kind of parents that are gonna let their kid have a credit card and access to an online marketplace.

Is it possible to buy stadia games with Google play credit or something? You can buy those in most places with physical gift cards I think.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
mods can I get a rename to "Bad Faith CEO"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

gschmidl posted:

"curate positivity and cooperation" is good doublespeak for "ban all dissenters"

quote:

I know the larger a community gets, the more difficult it is to curate, I had to deal with that personally at my last job. Which is why after 15-years (I didn't do the math, I'm just guessing) of Xbox and 20+ years of PlayStation, it can get a bit sticky, as they have had a lot more time to grow their audience.

I'm not sure if it's specifically the Stadia Community Managers, or the type of people who have chosen to invest in Stadia, or a mix? But it's so fantastic to be a part of it.

quote:

You gotta have an open mind to invest in something unproven, so I guess it's just a case of that leading to a more mature community while Stadia itself hasn't taken off among everyone

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:hmmyes:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tormented posted:

Oh noes! Who would have predicted this!

Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick says that Google Stadia overpromised on its technology, and didn't seem to expand the market like it had hoped

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/google-stadia-overpromised-on-its-tech-says-taketw/1100-6477893/

:sbahj: what a dragging to end the thread on

For a company ceo to say that straight up, no corporate-speak to spin around it, is pretty much a "you're dead to me" talk. I don't care if I say anything that impacts our business relationship because our business relationship has zero value.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

InXile is so fuckin' bad at most stuff. It's kind of tragic, they're composed of people who made some really great games but just... stopped learning. Even their 2004 or 3 Bard's Tale game was better than BTIV. Torment Numenera was... interesting but not good. They cling to obtuse poo poo being what people liked about old CRPGs instead of thoughtful challenges and just constantly gently caress up revival stuff while Larian and Obsidian knock it out of the park.
Larian seems to have a tendency to spend too much time on the first area (not counting the tutorial) in the recent games and then never build out the following areas as much. D:OS1 had that really expansive feeling city area to start with and then everything felt a lot more sparse and less interesting after I got to the forest.

Shumagorath posted:

To be fair, The Outer Worlds was about a quarter of the size it needed to be and combat was weak in the same vein as Alpha Protocol. However, I only paid one dollar to find that out because Game Pass for PC is an amazing deal. Say what you want about the Windows Store but I've been lucky with it, I guess. It also sounds much better than Epic or the stadia which must be shockingly bad.

Oh, and I didn't have all the awful heavy-fluid waste of streaming it.

Maybe the Obsidian people are just coming too much from a board game or pen-and-paper RPG angle to do real-time FPS combat really well? I'm guessing the scope of the game was due to them having one or two games with disappointing sales before and so not having the budget to expand and make the game as big as it could have been. A possible sequel might be bigger, but they could probably use some more shooter focused devs to take care of the combat part of the game.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah because those are the kind of parents that are gonna let their kid have a credit card and access to an online marketplace.

Is it possible to buy stadia games with Google play credit or something? You can buy those in most places with physical gift cards I think.
I think those Google Play gift cards are supposed to work, yes, though I'm not 100% sure. However, they are not sold in all regions and from what I've found on Google's help community pages they might also be country locked, so you might not be able to just buy them online if they are not available in your country.

It's a bit messy, but for easy reference:
Countries in green have both Stadia and Google Play Gift Cards. It might work here.
Countries in yellow have Stadia, but no Google Play Gift Cards. This appears to be Scandinavia only, for whatever reason.
Countries in some kind of red have Google Play Gift Cards, but no Stadia.

Sources: https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9566513?hl=en and https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/3422734?hl=en

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Also wait until those parents realize what the stadia will do to their internet bill / performance.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Ineffiable posted:

Also, it's reliant on Stadia getting those games. And people knowing that Stadia has those games. And knowing what Stadia is. And having the means to play those games with Stadia.

Google doesn't really have a plan here, do they?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

Also wait until those parents realize what the stadia will do to their internet bill / performance.

I suspect most kids will want something better in the first place, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Google has released a dozen games in the past month. Some of them are good.