Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

yikes! posted:

That's good. They saved you the influence cost. Just go vote for it

yeah but it appears in the proposing civ's system right? i want it in mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
If you're at the point where they talk about proposing a planet for the market or whatever, you need to go to the planet you want and it should be an option under the decisions tab.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The White Dragon posted:

yeah but it appears in the proposing civ's system right? i want it in mine

The decision of where to put the market centre is separate, it happens after you pass the resolution to create the market.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snake Maze posted:

If you're at the point where they talk about proposing a planet for the market or whatever, you need to go to the planet you want and it should be an option under the decisions tab.

ohhh ok. yeah the decisions tab is kind of easy for me to overlook

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

yeah an AI player did propose it, before i even got the prompt that it was something i could do :(

You get a notification that the galactic community is trying to found the market, and then you can nominate any of your planets using a planetary decision

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If your diplomatic weight is high enough you can hold off the galactic market getting founded indefinitely by supporting another motion. Even if it's a motion you're going to vote against once it gets to the floor. Rinse and repeat if you're an empire that doesn't benefit from the market.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
imo the galactic senate should hold a vote annually instead how it is now, or allow resolutions to speed up voting or something. like they're STILL working through various sanction votes centuries into my current game

politics am i rite etc etc

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, and I love that the AI does the thing where it really wants items to be brought to the floor for a vote, then votes against them. Like what is even the point?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Captain Invictus posted:

imo the galactic senate should hold a vote annually instead how it is now, or allow resolutions to speed up voting or something. like they're STILL working through various sanction votes centuries into my current game

politics am i rite etc etc

Well, there is one way to speed it up.

Emergency voting on cooldown.

... yeah...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, and I love that the AI does the thing where it really wants items to be brought to the floor for a vote, then votes against them. Like what is even the point?

Opposing a resolution does nothing to its ranking in the list of pending resolutions, the only way to prevent something from reaching the Senate floor is to have a more popular resolution get there instead. So a bunch of AI empires can be united in opposition to a measure but not united in keeping it from reaching the Senate floor (e.g. they don't unanimously support some other resolution).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"what is even the point?" could be the title of any thread discussing basically any senate or parliament on most days

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PittTheElder posted:

They were for it before they were against it?

:shrug:

E: Jeet christ, that reference could loving drive this year...

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

PittTheElder posted:

I use this to keep measures I hate less than other measures at the top of the stack. Yeah I'm going to vote against X but X passing is much less harmful to my ambitions than Y and Y is closer to the top.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Opposing a resolution does nothing to its ranking in the list of pending resolutions, the only way to prevent something from reaching the Senate floor is to have a more popular resolution get there instead. So a bunch of AI empires can be united in opposition to a measure but not united in keeping it from reaching the Senate floor (e.g. they don't unanimously support some other resolution).

Yea ok there's some sense in that. Really they should just let empires vote against stuff in the pick a resolution vote too to prevent all that wasted time.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

PittTheElder posted:

Yea ok there's some sense in that. Really they should just let empires vote against stuff in the pick a resolution vote too to prevent all that wasted time.

They modeled it after the UN sooooooo

you're gonna have to deal with a bunch of bullshit

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The galactic council should vote on how they'd like to be seasoned or marinated and eventually cooked when the devouring swarm comes thru.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The White Dragon posted:

wait so how do you even get the galactic market? it said propose resolutions or something and i could never find it
It gets voted in as a thing, then when everyone agrees its a good idea there's a nomination as to who should host it. When that pops up you go to a planet and go to planetary decisions to spend some influence and energy to nominate your planet as a candidate. You can nominate the planet multiple times to strengthen your claim, but it costs influence and stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

QuarkJets posted:

Opposing a resolution does nothing to its ranking in the list of pending resolutions
I'm pretty sure that's not true.

e: holy poo poo it is true. Was it always true?

\/ yeah I loaded a game and checked. I could have sworn that it lent your political weight against it but nope!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 30, 2020

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Splicer posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not true.

It is. If you oppose a resolution it does nothing to its political weight or whatever. Only if you support it. If you change between NV and Oppose it won't change anything, it merely puts your name on it as a supposed future "NAY" vote.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Why does comfort the fallen nuke scientific diplomatic weight? Why does space communism make people stop caring about your full automation?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Splicer posted:

Why does comfort the fallen nuke scientific diplomatic weight? Why does space communism make people stop caring about your full automation?

That tree is about being a spiritualist hippy nonsense person, "comfort the fallen" is really about sanctifying their bodies with essential oils and practicing reiki

The space communism tree gives more political power to workers, which makes them happier and more productive. Workers never give a poo poo about automation, they just want something to do. Social welfare serves them just as well as a job

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

QuarkJets posted:

That tree is about being a spiritualist hippy nonsense person, "comfort the fallen" is really about sanctifying their bodies with essential oils and practicing reiki
Ah so it's the thoughts and prayers tree, that makes more sense. Thanks!

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Played first game through with humans that ended up purging xenophobes, of course. Destroyed everyone except some weird old empire that never decided to do anything. Then apparently the game ends at some year date, which was fine.

I really really should not have played a large map with so many planets. What an utter bother.

Starbases should hold out longer. Like, they should just take 10 seconds or so to capture and you can upgrade that. Hardened shielding or something. So much annoying chasing of fleets as they instagib stations and move on to the next one before you can catch them. You should also get a trace for where vanished ships are going to reappear.

Aggressive fleets should ignore jump inhibitors when they path.

Do construction ships have an 'auto' option?

Science ships helping with research is a good idea but too much micro.

How do you protect trade lanes? What is intended here?

How do I know which planets aren't captured properly in a war? Can I set my claims to 'all inhabited planets' somehow instead of scouring the map and inevitably missing one?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sillybones posted:

They already do, ships will go around inhibitors if they can.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

And Tyler Too! posted:

The galactic council should vote on how they'd like to be seasoned or marinated and eventually cooked when the devouring swarm comes thru.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sillybones posted:

Played first game through with humans that ended up purging xenophobes, of course. Destroyed everyone except some weird old empire that never decided to do anything. Then apparently the game ends at some year date, which was fine.

I really really should not have played a large map with so many planets. What an utter bother.

Starbases should hold out longer. Like, they should just take 10 seconds or so to capture and you can upgrade that. Hardened shielding or something. So much annoying chasing of fleets as they instagib stations and move on to the next one before you can catch them. You should also get a trace for where vanished ships are going to reappear.

Do construction ships have an 'auto' option?

Science ships helping with research is a good idea but too much micro.

How do you protect trade lanes? What is intended here?

How do I know which planets aren't captured properly in a war? Can I set my claims to 'all inhabited planets' somehow instead of scouring the map and inevitably missing one?

fallen empires have the best endgame tech(beyond special circumstance things like psionic shields from the shroud and dragonscale armor from the ether drake's system) so if they're vulnerable you might want to attack them. especially since they can "awaken" and become an endgame crisis where they reignite their long-dormant empire and send out nearly a million fleet power to reconquer the galaxy or make you a vassal. if two opposing empires do this it is called a War in Heaven and is a huge mess for all involved, so getting rid of fallen empires is generally good for a bunch of reasons. plus their homeworlds have a ton of unique buildings that absolutely churn out resources at rates you can never achieve otherwise.

play on the 600-800 system maps and don't max out empires, do like half or 2/3, too many empires gets really silly really quickly but too few empires can get pretty boring.

starbases should hold out longer, yeah. however, the base starbase isn't designed to fend off basically any fleet beyond a single corvette until you've been getting repeatable techs for a while and fully upgraded missiles, then they can take on like a single cruiser or a few destroyers. you want to upgrade starbases at key chokepoints with gun emplacements or hangar bays.

Aggressive fleets do ignore jump inhibitors in terms of pathing if there is an alternate path to that system, then when they wreck the inhibitor system and can leave it again they will path properly instead of going around. but if there's no uninhibited way to a system, you have to manually path them once they've taken over the offending inhibitor system, which is super annoying because I've noticed AI really likes to poop out tier 1 starbase upgrades all over the place when you're in a war with them right in your way.

construction ships can be queued to do stuff in sequence similar to how science ships can queue up orders, by holding shift while telling them to do stuff.

science ships assisting research is a "buy a science ship and scientist just for doing that" thing, not for using your exploration/anomaly/archaeological scientists for. plus if you wind up needing a scientist for something, hey, you've got them all over the place at your whim!

trade lanes need trade protection which is provided by upgraded starbases, weapon upgrades to said upgraded starbases, and defense platforms. hangar bays provide more trade protection. you want high trade protection to ensure your trade isn't interrupted by pirates.

re: finding noncaptured planets: not that I know of, just scan for the ones that don't have the spiky bits saying you've got the whole system under control! enjoy!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

QuarkJets posted:

They already do, ships will go around inhibitors if they can.

Yeah that means fleets are pathfinding as if the system is not navigable, so unless there is no other target (in which case they attack the nearest FTL jammer) they won't enter a system that has a jammer. I think Sillybones meant that fleets should try to take a direct route, even if it requires plowing headfirst into heavily defended chokepoint systems. That way you don't have to guard from all directions because they decided to take a 5 year scenic trip to hit your undefended backline. Also that would let you queue orders to capture systems, instead of having to issue a new order each time you reach a jammer.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Can you bypass systems and can enemies bypass yours? Does it give any penalties if your fleet is cut off?

Why upgrade starbases if you can bypass them?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Affi posted:

Is it just me or is it really creepy when a fanatic xenophile pacifist race uses the loving creepiest portraits? No I’m not going to open my borders to you and I’m not accepting any loving migration! You have teeth for eyes!

No more so than when a fanatic purifier spawns with the cute looking butterfly portraits, imo.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Affi posted:

Can you bypass systems and can enemies bypass yours? Does it give any penalties if your fleet is cut off?

Why upgrade starbases if you can bypass them?

My hypothetical was a case of no other mechanical changes, just the ability to order fleets to path through inhibitors. Mainly to make it less of a hassle to invade, though maybe also to make AI fleets more likely to suicide into defended chokepoints.

Which would be kinda cool on the offensive if your fleet can just steamroll through upgraded starbases, but utterly falls apart once you remember that planets can get inhibitors too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Enjoy my ftl inhibiting fortress worlds with 12+ fortresses and a shield generator if you don't have a planet cracker :haw:

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I hit my storage limit on food, so I dumped it on a fallen empire in a total of about 1.5k food per month (it made me do that in 3 trades).

I had just finished with the other fallen empire and was retrofitting with dark matter, so after about 3 years of that I attacked.

The deal didn't end until they were eliminated despite being at war for a number of months.

Also it's been a while since I played last and goddamn how is there still not a marker for gateway construction sites? Why can't I see a megastructure marker and a wormhole marker on the same system? Those UI things really take away from the game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Adenoid Dan posted:

I hit my storage limit on food, so I dumped it on a fallen empire in a total of about 1.5k food per month (it made me do that in 3 trades).

I had just finished with the other fallen empire and was retrofitting with dark matter, so after about 3 years of that I attacked.

The deal didn't end until they were eliminated despite being at war for a number of months.

Also it's been a while since I played last and goddamn how is there still not a marker for gateway construction sites? Why can't I see a megastructure marker and a wormhole marker on the same system? Those UI things really take away from the game.

being at war turns out to be a fairly minor negative modifier. I want to say it's like -50 or -200 or something, which is easily surpassed with even a little effort.

one thing that still baffles me is you get a notification for a megastructure build site being ready but can't just click it to go directly there. and they could totally have the "gateway icon, starbase icon, megastructure icon" in a triangular pattern, the icons are hexagons for fucks sake, but no only two icons per system max

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I keep clicking on the notification and expecting it to take me there.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

My workaround has been to build new construction ships for every gateway site and then leave them there until I'm ready to build one. Then I disband the construction ship when I start the gateway build.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I installed an autobuild mod for mining/science platforms (you still have to pay for the platforms, you just don’t have to wait for the fat drunken bumble bees that are construction ships in Stellaris).

Major QoL improvement.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2093969313

E: Is there a reason to favor StarNet over Glavius in terms of goosing the AI to be, like, good?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 30, 2020

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

OPPOSED

what makes the tayaki different from the rest of us??

Man Musk fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 30, 2020

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Schadenboner posted:

I installed an autobuild mod for mining/science platforms (you still have to pay for the platforms, you just don’t have to wait for the fat drunken bumble bees that are construction ships in Stellaris).

Major QoL improvement.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2093969313

E: Is there a reason to favor StarNet over Glavius in terms of goosing the AI to be, like, good?

Thanks for this.

While on the subject, any suggested mods? I have tiny outliner as only one, which is very good.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Captain Invictus posted:

being at war turns out to be a fairly minor negative modifier. I want to say it's like -50 or -200 or something, which is easily surpassed with even a little effort.

one thing that still baffles me is you get a notification for a megastructure build site being ready but can't just click it to go directly there. and they could totally have the "gateway icon, starbase icon, megastructure icon" in a triangular pattern, the icons are hexagons for fucks sake, but no only two icons per system max

In the top right of the window, there's a go to button (little camera icon), and that has generally worked for me. It is a really really silly oversight though, since it should have a much more clearly signposted way to select the megastructure or initiate the next stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sillybones posted:

Thanks for this.

While on the subject, any suggested mods? I have tiny outliner as only one, which is very good.

I actually just made a mod-list which will work in 2.7.2: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2113587088 (I made it so that when I inevitably gently caress up my install I have a list of mods so even if I have to do the "Unsubscribe All" thing I can get them back).

You'll have to dick around with load order. This seems to be more art than science (and I'm not satisfied with my load order quite yet) but two things are iron-clad: the unofficial patch should be top-most (meaning it loads first so it overrules the stock game content that it bugfixes but can itself be overuled by all subsequent mods) and make sure that District Overhaul 2 is literally the bottom-most (otherwise you'll get a problem where on the first day of the second month of the game all your districts disappear and you can't build any more which is, you know, not great?). A few of the mods have load order guidance on their workshop pages and, while a lot of times the load order guidance amounts to "This has to be the last thing in your load order!"*, sometimes this is legit useful, for example Guilli does this:

Guilli's Ship Components 2.7 posted:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
NSC Compatibility:
NSC at the bottom of the mod load order (see NSC page)
Guilli's Ship Components right above it
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional notes:
1. There are a couple of 40k mods in there because I like to play 40k-in-Stellaris and suffer not the xenos to live. If you don't want those then don't use them I guess?
2. I play on literally the world's shittiest laptop with integrated graphics so I have a couple of performance mods to cut down the :sparkles:, they seem to work to keep the days ticking but it makes the planets look kinda smeary. If you're rocking dual 2080s or something you could probably skip those?

*: I should stress that, as someone who spends a good 40% of his workday asking people "Have you tried turning it off and on again?", I do understand why they say this: the last loaded mod will always have the ability to overrule all previous mods which means it'll almost always work so this will fix a lot of problems with a particular mod but it's not especially helpful when you''ve got 50 mods that each insist they need to be last. I also understand that this is by-and-large volunteer work on the part of the mod authors and that gamers are literal garbage people and deeply unpleasant to deal with (and I'd imagine that Steam comments are a p.poo poo way to do troubleshooting).

E: Oh, the red triangles in the mod list in the launcher don't mean much (at least as of 2.7.2), I think it's some check where if the mod doesn't literally say "PATCH_LEVEL=2.7.2" in a header somewhere the launcher will red triangle it and be all "Brah, this totes won't work!" but it'll usually work. At least that's been my experience?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 30, 2020