Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would try to avoid blowing up rockets the day before my company was due to fly humans for the first time, but I’m not a billionaire, so what do I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I would try to avoid blowing up rockets the day before my company was due to fly humans for the first time, but I’m not a billionaire, so what do I know?

More than Elon Musk, apparently.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Arrhythmia posted:

Remember the red button?

Beat me to it :argh:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 23, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Maxwells Demon posted:

More than Elon Musk, apparently.

Elon is not involved with the SpaceX engineering, but it was a prototype anyways

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

CommieGIR posted:

Elon is not involved with the SpaceX engineering, but it was a prototype anyways

He's involved to the extent of being given a lovely grain silo and told it's his toy rocket.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Legally, elon is not allowed to hold any management position within spacex because otherwise they would immediately lose the contract due to him smoking weed live on a stream, which is still a federal offence which hence precludes a company he manages from bidding on government contracts, lol.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

That's also why, unlike tesla, spacex is a functional company and not a huge, flaming garbage fire that produces a batch of 10 cars, of which 1 is roadworthy and saleable.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drone_Fragger posted:

Legally, elon is not allowed to hold any management position within spacex because otherwise they would immediately lose the contract due to him smoking weed live on a stream, which is still a federal offence which hence precludes a company he manages from bidding on government contracts, lol.

So you admit it, spaceX is successful because of the actions of elon musk:colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Drone_Fragger posted:

That's also why, unlike tesla, spacex is a functional company and not a huge, flaming garbage fire that produces a batch of 10 cars, of which 1 is roadworthy and saleable.

Yup. Tesla has a higher engineering and exec turnover rate than a call center, SpaceX succeeds because he is kept a figurehead rather than an actual decision maker

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

thats how it works for normal people. not billionaires. anyways he has a clearance so what are you even talking about. also see kushner

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

bring back old gbs posted:

and right on time:

This wouldn't have happened if they didn't use touchscreens!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Zero One posted:

This wouldn't have happened if they didn't use touchscreens!

See if you double tap and the hold, the coms turn on. But if you triple tap and hold, the whole thing blows up. It's fool-proof.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/owyLsXw.mp4

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

la chancla is versatile.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://i.imgur.com/ypvNbnt.mp4

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
While I applaud his bravery, I don't think that piddly fire was worth dying for.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Ultimate chabuduo

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:fireman:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

This is also what happens when you tear off the tag from your mattress

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

That's amazing

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

You can't fire me, I quit *flips off the boss and slams the door in tree*

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Barber chairs can ruin your day.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Barber chairs can ruin your day.

and your pants.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

That's what you get when you don't cut at the line.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CommieGIR posted:

They need a real man in charge of Space X.

Namely, Fred Scuttle SPACE ACE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBukwTVWQqw

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/nskR0bM.mp4

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ahhh, yes. I've been there. That's the moment you realize why there's a bucket of soap/slicky somewhere in the shop and you should have greased the beads.

He's not at the "fall in the pit" step yet. Another learning experience in shop safety.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
That sledge was the plan B

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah, the sledge is to break the bead off the rim.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I for sure thought he was gonna bounce up and land butt-first on the sledge.

I'm ok with being wrong.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
The joke was if the crowbar didn't get him in the rear end, the sledge was in close enough proximity to cover for it

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
"Oh no! my prised crack!"

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Actual video of the astronauts using the touch screen controls in space

Looks pretty reasonable? Seems like it works exactly like the docking simulator, in which case i'd far rather be using touch screen than a stick style controller given the inputs 'stick' until cancelled.

blunt fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 31, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I watched the entire stream today from the moment the astronauts got into the capsule, and from settling in until reaching orbit they only appeared to be using the touch screen to cycle between different display pages. During all the preflight checks Doug was exclusively using the bank of physical switches below the panel, and both of them have another rack beside the right knee that appears to control things like the radio. The iPad kneeboards were shut off, with paper checklists stuck overtop.

Once in space they turned on the iPads and started poking the touchscreens more, but I noticed that during the manual control tests they also pulled out a little handheld joystick device with buttons on it, like a sort of Wiimote or Oculus controller dealio on a cable.

Almost as though this wasn't just another Elon Special, and somebody at NASA did put a little bit of thought into the human interface of this spaceship :ms:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 31, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was a microphone.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

blunt posted:

Actual video of the astronauts using the touch screen controls in space

Looks pretty reasonable? Seems like it works exactly like the docking simulator, in which case i'd far rather be using touch screen than a stick style controller given the inputs 'stick' until cancelled.

I was going to say I'd prefer buttons but then I realised I've only tried it with a mouse, which is kinda annoying.

Tried it with touchscreen just now and yeah, it's fine. Sure, I wouldn't want to fly an X-Wing with a touchscreen but for the tiny, slow adjustments you need for docking it's perfectly fine.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/J0nuO0r.mp4

Seems like it took a long time to find the Big Red Button that makes everything stop.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A sad day at the fruit by the foot factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Memento posted:

https://i.imgur.com/J0nuO0r.mp4

Seems like it took a long time to find the Big Red Button that makes everything stop.

Glad no one was working behind the barrier.

What were they yelling over the Tannoy?