Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1300

Sendo loses the rush badly. If Sendo pulls off the miracle comeback punch (which they're kind of hinting that Gonzalez is ready for because of Ippo), what exactly is he going to do against Martinez?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I really wish we'd hit this level of analysis in a much earlier point of time. It's interesting to see Sendo contrast why it was difficult to hit people vs why it's difficult to hit Alf. Sure it happened here and there but for hundreds of chapters it was all getting around one gimmick instead of diving into various aspects like this.

Still enjoying the fight tremendously! Go main characterrrr

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
takamura aint in this chapter though

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Hypocrisy posted:

Sendo loses the rush badly. If Sendo pulls off the miracle comeback punch (which they're kind of hinting that Gonzalez is ready for because of Ippo), what exactly is he going to do against Martinez?
Guessing the plan is to weaken his legs with one punch so he can land more punch and follow it up with more punch. Sendo, while great, isn't really ever going to outshine Ippo in the tactics or brains departments.

Wondering where this fight is going. Its a great fight but either conceivable ending is kind of lame. If he loses its a complete rehash of Ippo vs Gonzo. If he wins its showing Sendo doing Ippo better than Ippo which would be... interesting? Comical?

EDIT lol spoiler tags.... Spoiler Alert: Boxers are punching each other, will continue to punch, then one will be punched to KO and one will win

Bisse fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 29, 2020

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
sendo is goign to die as a reference to joe yabuki

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
As good a reference as that could potentially be (and as much as I like AnJ), it'd be lame. Sendo deserves a better end than that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't know about a death in the ring but I don't think he's going to fight Martinez even if he wins here. Unless that isn't even really an option. Would there be anything left for him to do in his weight class besides fight Ricardo, or is an invitation from the reigning world champ pretty much where the buck stops? And wait did he give up his Japanese title or is this some kind of weird exhibition match that Ricardo could set up because he's #1?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's basically Martinez seeing if he throws Alf a bone because, at this point, what the gently caress is in it for him? Martinez has already defeated Alf twice.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Alf getting increasingly frustrated as Martinez makes him fight an ever-growing series of Japanese boxers before he finally gets a 2nd rematch

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Alf should lose, he should lose hard, and we never see him again

He sucks and I wanna give him a wedgie

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1301

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I know they say machismo as in being "macho", but I can't stop reading it as chauvism.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Sendo is great. He makes this manga better by just existing

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Adnor posted:

I know they say machismo as in being "macho", but I can't stop reading it as chauvism.

AnJ, from which HnI takes many, many cues, has a very complicated and fascinating relationship with masculinity. The translations might muddy things bit, but I trust the author enough to assume that they're not particularly in favor of any sort of toxic behaviors, moreso a sort of archaic "try really hard and win at all costs cool guy athlete" masculinity

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
In Hajime no Ippo, masculinity is measured in your ability to take more punches to the face; the more punches, the more manly you are

In this fight, Sendo has showcased that he is maximum manly

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Oh yeah, like I said, I know they use machismo to say they're macho, but machismo in Spanish means chauvinism lol

Anyway, this fight is great, Sendo is the second best character :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty much. It's one of those things that doesn't translate super well because of cultural differences. When a guy is manly and a role model for their community, they're just "macho" (e.g. "ˇEse cabrón es bien macho!"), which would be like the equivalent of, let's say, a "chad" or a guy who closely follows the "Good Guy Greg" lifestyle.

When a guy gets called a "machista", that's when you know you're dealing with a toxic garbage guy. (i.e. If you hear a someone say "ˇPinche vato machista!", you're dealing with a chauvinist).

Yes, a lot of guys try to be the former and sadly end up being the latter.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
MMA fighter Chan Sung Jung (The Korean Zombie) tries a few HNI techniques on an unsuspecting sparring partner (turn on English subs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WV9BYkA_4w

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

canoshiz posted:

MMA fighter Chan Sung Jung (The Korean Zombie) tries a few HNI techniques on an unsuspecting sparring partner (turn on English subs)

Pro fuckin click, i'm dying here

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Look Away is the most powerful technique in the world

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

canoshiz posted:

lmao

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Oh there's a part 1 too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n_gH9tJ-As

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

chapters 1302 and 1303 are out.

Ippo-"im so jealous of them in the ring right now" *next panel Sendo takes a punch straight to the face* yep, thats Ippo.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I see you glove.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

canoshiz posted:

Proving that the true devastating power of the Look Away is the incredible mental damage you take afterwards.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm trying to figure out what Sendo is supposed to be doing that was all that different from Ippo besides not having a traumatic brain injury already before getting beaten up by Alf.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
Sendo and Gonzales have both crossed into the realm of monsters that Takamura was speaking of. Makunouchi didn't have that when he fought Gonzales. It certainly feels like we are approaching the endgame now. What if both fighters refuse to fight Ricardo after this match? Sendo wasn't interested at all while Gonzales completely forgot about him. After all this I am rooting for Gonzales now. Only two fights and he's grown so much. It would certainly be a twist if he goes Apollo and trains Rocky.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Holy Queef posted:

Sendo and Gonzales have both crossed into the realm of monsters that Takamura was speaking of. Makunouchi didn't have that when he fought Gonzales. It certainly feels like we are approaching the endgame now. What if both fighters refuse to fight Ricardo after this match? Sendo wasn't interested at all while Gonzales completely forgot about him. After all this I am rooting for Gonzales now. Only two fights and he's grown so much. It would certainly be a twist if he goes Apollo and trains Rocky.

Both of them definitely want to fight Martinez. They're just having so much fun duking it out that they forgot about what they are even fighting for.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just want Gonzalez to lose cause I don't care about angry mean man

I enjoy likeable angry man more

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TaurusOxford posted:

Both of them definitely want to fight Martinez. They're just having so much fun duking it out that they forgot about what they are even fighting for.

Shinjobi posted:

I just want Gonzalez to lose cause I don't care about angry mean man

I enjoy likeable angry man more
For real, the Ryu/Marvel's Hercules archetype-thing is one of my favorite types of characters: Just a character who absolutely has a blast doing the one thing they know well in a competitive fashion because that poo poo's awesome for them.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The tape on Sendo's gloves are coming off, I'm guessing that's why it was stopped. Good loving lord what a good fight.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Part of me was wondering if Sendo was going to die in the ring, sending Ippo into the realization that he both could not meet that level and he was not willing to risk his life, cementing his decision to stay retired. Fast-forward to his married life, helping out his mom and just training boxers on the side. The End

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sendo and Alf kill eachother in the ring and Ippo has no idea what to think about it and the series goes on for another 500 chapters somehow

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Garrand posted:

Fast-forward to his married life

I was with you until this. At least stay somewhat realistic with your theories.

Edit: \/\/ - ah, my mistake.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 24, 2020

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

I was with you until this. At least stay somewhat realistic with your theories.

I said married, Ippo never fucks

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
he marries miyata

e: have kumi and miyata ever met?

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 24, 2020

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

chapter 1304 is out

in which Sendo goes Super Saiyan

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Gonzalez is gonna hit him with a counter so hard his grandmother dies

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

New Issue out: https://mangadex.org/chapter/955355