Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

TTBF posted:

Just want to warn you that Dave goes into way more (and unnecessary) detail in the newsletter about how Hana killed herself. Took me by surprise and has ruined my night.

I'm having trouble wording this but I've been genuinely haunted by the image of it for the past couple days in a way I think I've only been once or twice before. Like, I can't see someone with pink hair without immediately picturing things I'd really rather not ever think about.

Don't read stuff about the details if you're feeling at all uncertain about whether or not you should, take care of yourself.

Draxion fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I am grateful for the warning and probably will just skip this issue as I don't need that in my head.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Details about the death aside, I thought it was a pretty good summary that covered all the events and responses surrounding it.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

We just dropped this week's Rudocast talking AEW! Dynamite, Double or Nothing, and even looking ahead to Fyter Fest and All Out! Plus Scotty tries to get an OnlyFan (singular) subscriber.

Video episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifnpMrPVDnI

Audio Episode:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-rudos-podcast/id1468336480

https://open.spotify.com/show/2SqoJSz5Ans40LZIfwFrIg?si=AyQkpWCoSR6cVEY-ypXvhg

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/hardlaser-audio/rudos-podcast?refid=stpr

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9ydWRvc3BvZGNhc3QubGlic3luLmNvbS9yc3M

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

What’s his OF page

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
In happier news, the JR interview is alright, but I loved the awkward dead air when Bryan asked what's the difference between Vince and Tony and JR said: "Vince drinks (Whisky), Tony drinks white claws" (*edit: apologies for really bad mobile typo)

I felt the cogs turning for Bryan and he was trying to work out if it's was a useful metaphor that JR would expand on, or aggressively useless trivia. Turned out to be a good metaphor, but he had to force it out of JR.

(it was about how Vince was of a different generation, Tony is young and on trend)

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 30, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

oh, white CLAWS. I was very confused for a second.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

at least he isn't a tryhard that drinks vodka out of a skull like Dana White.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lamuella posted:

oh, white CLAWS. I was very confused for a second.

joey janela's influence runs deep

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Are White Claws the new hipster thing that everyone’s drinking now but won’t be in six months like la croix or whatever they’re called

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

No they were that last summer, we're past those six months now

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I have no desire to taste one but I'm glad folks have variety now. Other than my raging anxiety, one of the reason why I binge drank was just to shut down the tastes buds. NGL Whiskey, vodka, tequila, all that stuff not beer and certain breeds of mead taste like dog vomit. And thanks to the miracle of dog, I know dog vomit tastes like. I miss that insane poodle even if he did try to kill me. twice.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Seams posted:

Are White Claws the new hipster thing that everyone’s drinking now but won’t be in six months like la croix or whatever they’re called

A white claw is basically a la croix with alcohol in it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

coconono posted:

at least he isn't a tryhard that drinks vodka out of a skull like Dana White.

Do not besmirch dan akroyd's crystal head vokda please

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Lamuella posted:

it's also like 100 calories and 5 percent alcohol. So basically less calories than light beer and as strong as a regular beer.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Lamuella posted:

They're fine. I'll have a couple with my wife on occasion, but if they disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't really care

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Really looking forward to Tom's Smackdown recap this week.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm not a big drinker but I like Claws and their various off-brand cousins because gin/vodka tonic has always been my drink of choice. I like my alcohol to not taste like anything.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/5/30/21272349/dave-meltzer-ufc-pride-rizin-wwe-njpw-wrestling-observer-insiders-video

Bonus big dave zoom action

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
This is the video that Garrett was talking up on WOR in case anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUwFwGlAIsc

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

god Dave is the best

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
So are we assuming that the reporter who reached out to Dave during the Peyton Royce stuff but couldn't really write about it "because of his connections with WWE" is Ryan Satin even over a year before WWE Backstage? Or a different "WWE-preferred" reporter like Scott Fishman or Mike Johnson? Because unless Dave's memory is failing him about how many people reached out, I was the OTHER reporter in the group of two he mentioned as having done so

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Did you write anything about it in the end bix? Just curious not trying to play gotcha or anything.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

The Croc posted:

Did you write anything about it in the end bix? Just curious not trying to play gotcha or anything.
Yes (headline isn't my handiwork, though): https://deadspin.com/there-are-no-clean-hands-in-the-latest-wwe-twitter-blow-1828409695

Dave didn't add anything on the record, but I still covered it. I guess the "even if what the wrestlers are saying is mostly correct, it still feels like WWE greenlit Dave as an acceptable target" stuff has aged kind of OK since we've seen more of that since then?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

davidbix posted:

Yes (headline isn't my handiwork, though): https://deadspin.com/there-are-no-clean-hands-in-the-latest-wwe-twitter-blow-1828409695

Dave didn't add anything on the record, but I still covered it. I guess the "even if what the wrestlers are saying is mostly correct, it still feels like WWE greenlit Dave as an acceptable target" stuff has aged kind of OK since we've seen more of that since then?

Yeah seems fair last instance i can remember if Naomi trying to railroad Alverez over her Rumble spot (which he or mark or someone called stupid, it was) but he just never acknowledge that and it went away.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZpVykOMJLo

Jim really does have a lot of great takes. I know some people have a problem with the Hardy's, especially Jeff, but he's dead-on when he talks about how the WWE totally wasted the unbelievably over return of their biggest tag team act of the last two decades. Matt is off doing great things in AEW and the WWE continues to Waste Jeff.

I'll always love the Hardy's and, on a more personal note, I agree wit Jim that it's great that a potential wrestling tragedy was averted and became a triumph.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I know no one is in the mind of Dave and don't really like thinking about it but where are Garrett and Jim in the succession plan of the Empire? Bryan seems to be the next in line for the scoopsthrone but I feel like either of those two are more 'serious' journalists than Bryan is.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

wasn't Jim a rather serious journalist before his health issues?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

hunnert car pileup posted:

wasn't Jim a rather serious journalist before his health issues?

Yeah he worked in tv/radio for years.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZpVykOMJLo

Jim really does have a lot of great takes. I know some people have a problem with the Hardy's, especially Jeff, but he's dead-on when he talks about how the WWE totally wasted the unbelievably over return of their biggest tag team act of the last two decades. Matt is off doing great things in AEW and the WWE continues to Waste Jeff.

I'll always love the Hardy's and, on a more personal note, I agree wit Jim that it's great that a potential wrestling tragedy was averted and became a triumph.

That really is a good little editorial. I'm very sure they're doing all this awful stuff to Jeff as some sort of punishment for past present and future misdeeds.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I don't think Dave has a legit successor. I can't take Bryan seriously as a writer or a journalist, he's a loud TV news type guy meant to be entertaining, he could never write the kind of detailed obituaries and serious stories Dave does. I think someone outside their group will probably become the successor in spirit, but then again news has been declining in every genre away from journalism and into clickbait and entertainment.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Bryan is basically a shockjock you have to host your phone ins. He does however at times challenge dave on things which is a step up from GG and Jim who kinda understand you just pull dave's string and let him go because really that's what we want from those shows.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bryan is not a shock jock he's a sports radio guy who somehow became a sports radio guy by listening to Art Bell and never watching sports.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Sports Radio Guy is one of the natural radio DJs.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

MassRafTer posted:

Bryan is not a shock jock he's a sports radio guy who somehow became a sports radio guy by listening to Art Bell and never watching sports.

As someone that listened to sports radio and never watched sports for many years this is very true

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Look, people are complicated and you can't just pigeonhole a guy with a single sentence. It's just not feasib-

MassRafTer posted:

gently caress. Nevermind.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

MassRafTer posted:

rack 'em

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Bryan was clearly supposed to be the successor when he was still doing news reporting and writing and stuff. I have no idea what's changed since then, because Dave clearly hasn't been mentoring anyone as far as actual reporting.

In all honesty, Dave should not have a direct successor. Nobody should be expected to know and cover everything. He's lucky that doing the Observer the way he does hasn't been worse on his health.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

davidbix posted:

Bryan was clearly supposed to be the successor when he was still doing news reporting and writing and stuff. I have no idea what's changed since then, because Dave clearly hasn't been mentoring anyone as far as actual reporting.

In all honesty, Dave should not have a direct successor. Nobody should be expected to know and cover everything. He's lucky that doing the Observer the way he does hasn't been worse on his health.

Yeah I definitely agree with this. It's an impossible standard for one person to be the single most reliable historian, reporter, analyst, and radio personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
10 years ago we could all feel good knowing that Dave wouldn't slow down before he was 60 and now we can feel good knowing that will be true until he's 70, especially since he'll be getting empty next syndrome soon.