Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Sloppy posted:

What's your list?

That'll be this one
# 1x (1) Blazing Battlemage
# 1x (1) Dwarven Sharpshooter
# 1x (1) Tracking
# 1x (2) Acidic Swamp Ooze
# 1x (2) Corrosive Breath
# 1x (2) Faerie Dragon
# 1x (2) Freezing Trap
# 1x (2) Imprisoned Felmaw
# 1x (2) Phase Stalker
# 1x (2) Scavenger's Ingenuity
# 1x (2) Snake Trap
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (3) Animal Companion
# 1x (3) Desert Spear
# 1x (3) Diving Gryphon
# 1x (3) Primordial Explorer
# 1x (3) Scalerider
# 1x (3) Stormhammer
# 1x (3) Unleash the Hounds
# 1x (3) Zixor, Apex Predator
# 1x (4) Bone Wraith
# 1x (4) Dragonbane
# 1x (5) Big Ol' Whelp
# 1x (5) Faceless Corruptor
# 1x (5) Rotnest Drake
# 1x (6) Veranus
# 1x (6) Wild Bloodstinger
# 1x (7) Dinotamer Brann
# 1x (7) Siamat
# 1x (9) Dragonqueen Alexstrasza
#
AAECAa/XAx61A8cDhwThBIoHlwjbCbuhA/yjA+SkA6alA/KlA4SnA4qtA4utA46tA/muA/uvA/yvA/6vA4ewA+ewA4KxA4exA5GxA9iyA6+3A4O5A6K5A/+6AwAA

I dedicated this month to hunter due to my criminal negligence of that class (it was on level 28 and I'm playing since release lol) and played this list almost all the time going from bronze to legend, with a few days in between where I played like 12 different decks and classes for some variation.
Originally I didn't have the classic secret/stalker combo in, but after some testing I realized that it's just very useful and it's also what people currently are usually playing, so might as well fit into the crowd.
Depending on your opponent you want to get a good curve in the beginning and usually you are able to build up enormous pressure the entire game, opening both options of early wins by massive face damage as well as late game wins by using the immense value over time and the ability to reload your board within one turn. The biggest obstacles happen when playing against hyper aggro classes when you cannot keep up, which mostly depends on your draw. As usual with highlander hunter, it does not run out of steam over time and I won quite a few games almost or even already in fatigue. A solid mix of face pressure and board control opens up a lot of possibilities.

Usually going in the mulligan for battlemage, corrosive breath, fairy dragon, ooze (against DH and shaman) or fellmaw, or generally a good curve. Note that if you keep phase stalker you have to be aware that turn 3 or 4 should result in a hero power, so the perfect curve sometimes looks funky.
Currently looking at 64 games played, 122 when I add the version without secrets, win rate on a soothing 61%. Non-quest warlock is so far a ridiculous 100% win rate as their hp sacrifices enables me to win very fast, Rogue is usually the biggest problem as I cannot keep up with their tempo at filling the board with combos and lackeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

man, 6 legendaries I don't have. WELP!

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
Is the meta just rapidly shifting? When I was going through Diamond 2-1 as a highlander hunter, I found tons of face hunters and demon hunters. Now, in the same ranks, I haven't gone against a single one of those and got kicked back down to Diamond 3 after fighting tons of Rogue and Warrior. If it's a shifting meta, I don't mind, otherwise this is adding to my frustration. I normally play casually and for fun, but if there's selectivity of opponents at higher ranks to work against, that's pretty discouraging.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is pure libram paladin good now? I've been playing it just for fun but I am already at diamond 2.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Is the meta just rapidly shifting? When I was going through Diamond 2-1 as a highlander hunter, I found tons of face hunters and demon hunters. Now, in the same ranks, I haven't gone against a single one of those and got kicked back down to Diamond 3 after fighting tons of Rogue and Warrior. If it's a shifting meta, I don't mind, otherwise this is adding to my frustration. I normally play casually and for fun, but if there's selectivity of opponents at higher ranks to work against, that's pretty discouraging.

Yes, the meta shifts as you go up in ranks, in addition to some decks still getting discovered and tweaked. Examples lately include the rise of Quest Warlock, followed by the rise of Bomb/Control warrior as a response.

The popularity chart (past 3 days) looks like this:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Chernabog posted:

Is pure libram paladin good now? I've been playing it just for fun but I am already at diamond 2.

It's good against aggro and face because of all the healing and taunts but good luck against control

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Chernabog posted:

This was my experience-- started playing it for shits at diamond 5 a few days ago and hit legend last night in a pretty painless climb. ~66% winrate over some 45-odd games.

It's pretty draw / mulligan dependent because the weak card draw means you're not guaranteed to find your bombs like some other decks, but it's got game against most everything. The rogue matchups were particularly miserable, however.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

AnacondaHL posted:

Yes, the meta shifts as you go up in ranks, in addition to some decks still getting discovered and tweaked. Examples lately include the rise of Quest Warlock, followed by the rise of Bomb/Control warrior as a response.

The popularity chart (past 3 days) looks like this:

It seems like Highlander Hunter has been one of the best decks in the meta since it became a thing. It's not worth crafting Brann if you don't already have Siamat and Zixor, right?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

fanny packrat posted:

It seems like Highlander Hunter has been one of the best decks in the meta since it became a thing. It's not worth crafting Brann if you don't already have Siamat and Zixor, right?

Honestly, the deck kinda sucks. It's a high-floor low-ceiling deck in a meta filled with absurd ceiling-destroying decks.

I'm only short DQA and Siamat from pack openings/other decks, and I still haven't felt the need to craft them to play this deck.

But anyways, Zixor is required, Siamat can be substituted.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

also

:laffo:

vS Data Reaper Report #163

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

good

Shaman deserves to stay lovely for a very long time after subjecting us all to Shudderwock

Aaod
May 29, 2004
Shudderwock was secret paladin levels of cancerous.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I am so tired of rogues consistently finding absolute bullshit turns every game for the past 6 months.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Disargeria posted:

I am so tired of rogues consistently finding absolute bullshit turns every game for the past 6 months.

Same, but also if they couldn't do this bullshit the class would be worse than Shaman right now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Aaod posted:

Shudderwock was secret paladin levels of cancerous.

What’s funny is that Secret Paladin is practically extinct in Wild these days... because it’s too slow and doesn’t have a big enough late game to make up for that.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I miss Zombeasts. That was a cool card.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I was just thinking about how much I hated that card today lol

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

No you don't. You really, really don't. It's basically 'discover a rush/lifesteal minion' every turn at this point.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The card concept is great but playing against it sucks.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

yikes! posted:

It being a beast gives me pause which is a bit bizarre, but ingenuity hitting a cheap rusher/charger is a big deal. Killing kronx or zpehrys with it would rock though.

I actually dropped Scavenger's when the nerf hit for Bloodstinger and that discount spider and it seemed okay.

Olpainless posted:

No you don't. You really, really don't. It's basically 'discover a rush/lifesteal minion' every turn at this point.

Note how he doesn't specify which side of the zombeasts he's on. :v:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Should Demon Hunter's cards be good at going face or good at controlling the board?
Yes.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

AnacondaHL posted:

Same, but also if they couldn't do this bullshit the class would be worse than Shaman right now.

They have given Rogue nothing but amazing cards for like the last year and a half. They need to gently caress off now.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I'm 4-12 with no priestess DH. Clearly I'm not getting the deck.

Is there a guide anywhere? Particularly I can't seem to get the balance of face vs trade: I think more than half my losses have been by 1 turn or a few points of health.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Xguard86 posted:

Is there a guide anywhere? Particularly I can't seem to get the balance of face vs trade: I think more than half my losses have been by 1 turn or a few points of health.

There's a ton of play of it in this weekend's Grandmaster tournament streaming on YouTube and presumably Twitch.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Nope, YT has an exclusivity deal for streaming tournaments right now.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

Mull it Over week 4 highlights the deck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7IqZBh1PGs

Boar Control's guide has good general tips but the list is pre-nerf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7znP2VWLDm4

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Thanks for these. Seems like I'm playing too rigidly and value seeking, overall.

PS tried pirate warrior again with the VS deck. Going better prob my DH issue is the same root problem. Not doing well with tempo.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Xguard86 posted:

Thanks for these. Seems like I'm playing too rigidly and value seeking, overall.

PS tried pirate warrior again with the VS deck. Going better prob my DH issue is the same root problem. Not doing well with tempo.

Yeah in my experience value seeking leads to losses. If you have to play Glaivebound as a 6 4 without the 4 damage, you do it. If you have to play Eyebeam at 3 Mana and not 1, you do it.

Also, in my experience you can build some crazy tempo off the coin with Battlefield, Beaming Sidekick and Satyr. Priest was my toughest matchup when I ran Priestess but now with the right draw I burn them down really early.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Xguard86 posted:

There is a really good guy on Twitter who is giving out tips for higher level HS play. @MeatiHS. He posted something that really stuck with me regarding value.

quote:

Value = Holding cards until their greatest impact on the game

Tempo = Making the strongest play possible using the cards available in your hand

In games that don’t go to fatigue, Tempo is better than Value.

Get into the habit of playing cards instead of holding them

I've been doing this and it's really helped.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
there probably wouldn't be anything wrong with a spell or minion in this standard that created a zombeast tbh. i think we might see it at some point

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I don't want Hunters having access to three Zixor Primes.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I don't want Hunters having access to three Zixor Primes.

I don't believe Zixor is in the Zombeast pool

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Anyone playing quest resurrect priest should be sent to the deepest circle of hell. God I hate that deck. Don't tell me it's bad. I know. It exists solely to make anyone trying weird decks miserable.

e: oops this isn't the bitching thread

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

yikes! posted:

Anyone playing quest resurrect priest should be sent to the deepest circle of hell. God I hate that deck. Don't tell me it's bad. I know. It exists solely to make anyone trying weird decks miserable.

e: oops this isn't the bitching thread

I LITERALLY just opened this thread to bitch about Resurrect Priest. I've gone up against 5 in a row just now and want I want to die.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
What is the agreed upon Odd Demon Hunter list, as in does anyone have experience with a list

I've seen two decks, one with happy ghouls and one without and I'm using the latter with mixed results

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I got up to platinum 5 with highlander mage. I’m so bad. What is this the equivalent of in the old rankings? What will I be on when the month swaps over

And more importantly what deck (for bad players) can hit legend from there

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Baller Ina posted:

What is the agreed upon Odd Demon Hunter list, as in does anyone have experience with a list

I've seen two decks, one with happy ghouls and one without and I'm using the latter with mixed results

The one with happy ghouls has better high-rolls, the other is more consistent in my opinion. I played essentially this (tweaked for the nerfs) to legend last month real easily. I'm not a fan of eyebeam, and I don't think it's that good. I much prefer violet illusionist to just not lose the life in the first place and it leads to some pretty nutty turns on its own where you can punch into a lot of things you shouldn't be able to and use your dudes to go face.

### Odd Demonhunter
# Class: Demonhunter
# Format: Wild
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Battlefiend
# 2x (1) Consume Magic
# 2x (1) Crimson Sigil Runner
# 2x (1) Lowly Squire
# 2x (1) Mana Burn
# 2x (1) Shadowhoof Slayer
# 2x (3) Aldrachi Warblades
# 2x (3) Blackwald Pixie
# 2x (3) Satyr Overseer
# 2x (3) Violet Illusionist
# 2x (5) Glaivebound Adept
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
# 1x (5) Loatheb
# 1x (5) Metamorphosis
# 1x (5) Warglaives of Azzinoth
# 1x (5) Zilliax
# 2x (7) Priestess of Fury
# 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater
#
AAEBAea5AwavBPoOnvgCoIADw7wDxLwDDLYTkbMC5e8Ch7oD5rsDusYD1MgD18gD98gD+cgD/sgD8skDAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

teacup posted:

I got up to platinum 5 with highlander mage. I’m so bad. What is this the equivalent of in the old rankings? What will I be on when the month swaps over

And more importantly what deck (for bad players) can hit legend from there

There's no actual equivalent in the old ranking system for this, so impossible to tell, but you're 15 stars off from legend with that, so technically rank 3 or something.
You will be bronze 10, like everyone else. On diamond 5 you will receive a star bonus of 8. The star bonus will always be as high as you need to reach your current rank minus 5, except if you are legend on 1500 or higher, then you'll reach legend with the star bonus.

Dunno if you want to start grinding one day before a new season hits, so you might just wanna stick with highlander mage. The jump from D5 to legend typically takes longer than the jump from bronze 10 to D5 due to the lack of win streaks and no bonuses, so basically you need to win 15 matches in a row to make it to legend. Just play whatever is currently up and see where that gets you, maybe you're lucky, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

taken from grandmasters just now. Why would the warlock not play the second Ysera? What's he playing around?

edit: I guess he didn't want to potentially fill his board by drawing them all at once, locking out the Malygos finisher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Yeah, that's what I'd assume. Ysera can overload your board with value in just one turn and he already has quite the value on board. Plus, since it's free, there is no loss for him to play it later when he might actually need it. Dropping her with already 3 minions on the board seems like a dangerous game hoping that he doesn't flood the board just now and there is no loss to wait a bit, I'd say.