Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hi I don't have this game I just like the Hall & Oates song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Mordja posted:

Hi I don't have this game I just like the Hall & Oates song.

You play as a female shark so "Whoa-oa here she comes!" is a totally apt lyric to chant like I do about 25 times per play session :kiddo:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I really dig Nelly Furtado's Maneater. The drum beat is really catchy.

Game totally delivers on my sharkspectations so far. Alligators can go gently caress a duck though.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm up to the Alligator boss fight, and it's the first time I'm going to have to go back to previous areas and clear out sidequests. To be fair, it is nearly twice my level, so it's not like the game isn't saying "this dude is bullshit".

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Twitch posted:

I'm up to the Alligator boss fight, and it's the first time I'm going to have to go back to previous areas and clear out sidequests. To be fair, it is nearly twice my level, so it's not like the game isn't saying "this dude is bullshit".

I've noticed that level actually doesn't do a whole lot to determine your effectiveness in combat- especially since (mechanics spoiler) your level cap is much lower than your enemies'. Actual skills and tactics are more important, so you could probably do it now.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Be a tactical shark, essentially.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

It's basically Shark Souls.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've found that using a hit and run style works well against Gators. Dash close, bite a time or two, dash away.

I've gotten far enough to hit open ocean, and I'm really enjoying the exploration, and just swimming around. It's like Abzu, except I can eat things.

The humour has been enjoyable too. Chris Parnell drying pointing out the pollution, and tons of media references have kept me giggling.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Do you eventually get a super jump that lets you reach some of these really high license plates?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

exquisite tea posted:

Do you eventually get a super jump that lets you reach some of these really high license plates?

https://i.imgur.com/NG66hgz.mp4

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Platinum'd this game earlier today/yesterday. Game's incredibly fun, and I hope a sequel gets made with even more sharky goodness.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

My method has been:
Start submerged below the plate.
Dash towards the surface
After breaching, hit the jump, then dash again, then bite.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I hate it when I don't know where to post; this is why I mainly post "lol butts" which is always helpful and welcome in every situation

Hwurmp posted:

here are some basic tips :coolfish:

- Collectibles give off a sonar ping noise which you can hear at a fair distance as long as you're underwater.
- ABC: Always Be Chompin. There is no downside to eating any and all prey animals that cross your path.
- Tailwhip has a ton of uses. Jump up onto or next to hunter boats and tailwhip the crew off all at once instead of trying to eat them one by one. Grab an enemy, thrash it until it's about to escape, then tailwhip it into the ground--or onto dry land. Grab smaller fish and tailwhip them into a tough enemy; this is a huge help for dealing with alligators while you're still a teen.
- XP is based on nutrients collected, which means the Digestion upgrades will also level you up a bit faster. Get those gains
- Mash the jump button during a jump for added height.
- Eat humans to attract hunters, fight hunters to increase your infamy until a named hunter shows up, and defeat them for Bio-Electric parts that come with electric damage and stun effects.
- Complete hunt missions in a region and kill the apex predators that appear for Bone parts that provide extra defense and a ton of bonuses against boats. You can't get at the Fawtick Bayou apex predator right away--you have to advance through Dead Horse Lake into Golden Shores, and some more bayou hunts will unlock.
- Find 100% of landmarks in a region for Shadow parts that give you increased mobility and poison abilities. The Shadow Teeth in particular are fantastic for general use, with extra damage and a heal effect every time you chomp something, not just when you finish eating it.

serefin99 posted:

I've noticed that level actually doesn't do a whole lot to determine your effectiveness in combat- especially since (mechanics spoiler) your level cap is much lower than your enemies'. Actual skills and tactics are more important, so you could probably do it now.

Level does play a part. You can start grabbing and thrashing bigger critters as you level up.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 6, 2020

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

It's pretty cathartic to go back to the swamp after you hit full size. Those gators that used to terrorize you as a wee baby can be grabbed right off the hop. Then it's shake shake shake, like a Rottweiler with a squirrel in its mouth.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Go back once you're a Mega and eat them in one bite

e: I just checked, you can't actually do this. sad shark

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 6, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Zombie Guy posted:

My method has been:
Start submerged below the plate.
Dash towards the surface
After breaching, hit the jump, then dash again, then bite.

It turns out you have to be an Elder Shark before you can reach some of the license plates I was thinking about, the really high one in Dead Horse Lake as one example.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Finished the game in a little over 10 hours, getting 100% in all areas, killing all the named hunters, and getting every evolution to Tier 5. Had it been any longer I would have probably gotten pretty bored, but it was fine for what it was. The novel concept and and tongue-in-cheek humor were enough for me to outshine the repetitiveness of the gameplay. A good 20-30 dollar game.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I finished the main storyline last night, and now I'm just cruising around finishing up all the side missions. I really like the passive avoidance mutation, which makes smaller hostile fish neutral towards you. It's nice to be able to swim around without half the ocean life trying to take a bite of me.
One option I'd like for the post-game would be the ability to turn off the hunters. It would be a treat to snack on golfers and boaters with impunity for a bit.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's really easy to get to a point where any predators that would be subject to passive avoidance are just not a threat to you at all.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Yeah anything that isn't an Orca or Sperm Whale gets thrashed to death immediately, it's just nice to not have the distraction when I'm trying to do other stuff.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

exquisite tea posted:

It turns out you have to be an Elder Shark before you can reach some of the license plates I was thinking about, the really high one in Dead Horse Lake as one example.

You get extra air jumps as you get older, and I've noticed that if you start from the surface, hitting jump in the air will push you in the direction your shark is facing, which often means I'm flying backwards because I'm halfway through a flip. You can also tag a bite onto the end of a jump chain to get that extra bit of distance

Triple jumping Mega shark
https://i.imgur.com/AlTNHtx.mp4

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Zombie Guy posted:

Yeah anything that isn't an Orca or Sperm Whale gets thrashed to death immediately, it's just nice to not have the distraction when I'm trying to do other stuff.

It's always cute when a little baby Muskie comes along and tries to attack your fully upgraded shark.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

This reminded me that I feel like an outsized portion of my enjoyment of this game came from smiling every time I did much of anything on land.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Oh Snapple! posted:

This reminded me that I feel like an outsized portion of my enjoyment of this game came from smiling every time I did much of anything on land.

The land stuff really is disproportionately hilarious. Me and my brother joked constantly about how god drat terrifying it would be irl if you were just walking along the shore and a loving shark jumped out of the water and started flopping towards you.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

the floppy physics on the shark when its on land are :discourse:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Something that never fails to make me giggle is biting a human, jumping out of the water, and then tail-whipping them over the horizon.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

serefin99 posted:

The land stuff really is disproportionately hilarious. Me and my brother joked constantly about how god drat terrifying it would be irl if you were just walking along the shore and a loving shark jumped out of the water and started flopping towards you.

Only to eat a license plate you didn't even know was there before turning around and calmly flopping back toward the water :v:

I just really enjoy the concept of some monstrous shark doing some weirdo thing on land, completely ignoring everything else around it. Just huge, nervous "what the gently caress was that" energy.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

Just huge, nervous "what the gently caress was that" energy.

One of my favourite things to do while cruising around is to come up to the surface and just gently nudge small boats, just to make everyone freak out.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I just started playing this and was astonished when I realized it actually has no lockon. How could you possibly make a game where both you and your target are constantly moving in 3D and not put in lockon? Are you really supposed to constantly tap R3 just to be able to see what's going on?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You don't need to press it that much

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
everyone talking about demons souls this is gonna be the first ps5 game i play tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Its a fun sharking time, I enjoyed it a lot. Sadly there is a total lack of giant squid action.