Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I was just wondering how they were going about doing it, like throwing a bunch of money at a jail full of people or if it was more of an organized effort that's all.

When large amounts of money is donated it doesn't always get used for what it was intended for.

heres my take: bailing out people is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Krakkles posted:

I’ve always had a “tax/eat the rich” viewpoint, but for these folks, I’ll make an exception.

The down to earth celebs seem to be the ones that really recognize that all their money came in $20 increments from individual people. They don't think "I MADE THIS BY THE SWEAT OF MY GALTIAN BROW". Some do, but the good ones don't.

Hehe I forgot Bobby Brown said exactly that right in the middle of My Prerogative.

And yeah, as usual the Onion is on point:

https://www.theonion.com/protestors-criticized-for-looting-businesses-without-fo-1843735351

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

heres my take: bailing out people is good

I mean do you really want those toxic shitheads stuck in a cell with the decent people who were protesting anyway?
Get them all the gently caress out of there now and let the courts sort it out later.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Krakkles posted:

That’s known as “sealioning”.

You’re more worried about that than police attacking lawful protestors, journalists, and medical personnel?

Not to mention, black people?

Huh

I'm just curious that's all. I would hope that the money being donated to help isn't being wasted.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean do you really want those toxic shitheads stuck in a cell with the decent people who were protesting anyway?
Get them all the gently caress out of there now and let the courts sort it out later.

Yeah good point.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 31, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
cash bail is a crime especially now when it's relatively hard for people to just kinda skip town and go dark

a certain percentage of any money donated to any cause gets "wasted" in that it's spent on both things that aren't the cause itself or aren't your precise preferred definition of where the money should go. in order for X% of the money to do the good thing that you have personally defined, Y% must be wasted.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Stars still aligning on the 86, my accountant finally filed my taxes and the damage is saying I can afford the car as long as I don't get super hosed on trade. Guess now I find out how hosed I am getting on trade.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

cash bail is a crime especially now when it's relatively hard for people to just kinda skip town and go dark

a certain percentage of any money donated to any cause gets "wasted" in that it's spent on both things that aren't the cause itself or aren't your precise preferred definition of where the money should go. in order for X% of the money to do the good thing that you have personally defined, Y% must be wasted.

That makes sense, especially when it's not like they had much time to organize things and just had to take action.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I guess I live under a rock. I knew protests were going on, I didn't know they were here. That's both an upside and downside to working nights. And I live in the capitol of the state, so I shouldn't be surprised, but again, I work nights, so for the most part, I live under a rock when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Austin has mostly kept it relatively peaceful compared to a lot of other cities - one store looted and a few car and dumpster fires last night, I think? Fires primarily around the police HQ. Ideally there'd be zero fires and zero looting. Pretty much every Target is boarded up except for the ones in the suburbs (IIRC from when I worked for them drat near 20 years ago, they're based in Minneapolis, they consider themselves a target :lol: right now). The only reason I'm even awake right now is because my boss copied and pasted the wrong schedule... he had me set for 2 hours tonight instead of 8 hours. Since Sunday night @ 11:59pm is the end of the week, the rest of the shift winds up showing up as Monday at midnight to 6:30 AM (don't even get me started on how many people don't know what "midnight" means when they're scheduled for a Sun night shift). I would have wound up with OT both this week and next week. I asked him about it, he told me "enjoy your night off tonight, get some rest!" (via text, time stamped).

One local station is showing nonstop coverage, and... there's been obvious tension, but there's been protesters getting between cops and other protestors basically trying to talk the crowds down, to keep it peaceful. My roommate went downtown yesterday and said there were people handing out water, granola bars, snacks, etc, but the cops wound up confiscating them once they got near the capitol. He GTFO once things got "interesting".

We can all get along, right? :smith:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 31, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lol. AZ now has a curfew for protests but COVID only warranted an unenforced stay at home order.

Edit: the full text is even worse. The list of allowed things is as wide as possible while still letting them arrest you if they think you're going to protest.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 31, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

I dug up some Lowe’s gift cards and picked up a 10x8 metal shed kit. I’ve been paying $75 a month for storage for over a decade to basically store a giant Christmas tree and kids clothes (I have a workshop but a small house). Plus I am sick of dragging everything from the far back of the yard workshop to the front driveway to work on cars (air compressor, tools, vacuums, Ramps, etc...)

Made a level base with 6x6 posts I had for the perimeter and got the bottom frame built. This is going to take a long time...

The second you have it finished, your going to wish you had a 10x20.
I built my own shed. It took a couple years, but most of that was pauses due to other things. I laid out the foundation step stones, go them leveled, and then did nothing for like a year, because I couldn’t afford the materials. Once I could, it went up in 6 months or so mostly working weekends. I’m very happy with it, and would have built bigger if I had the space. I’d like to keep some back yard, plus local laws, I guess. It’s pretty much full, but now have had space in the garage.
drat shed is built better than my house, which is fine.

Raluek posted:

It's no accident. Aren't you from Texas?

I am, and holy poo poo.

Edit: if I wasn’t already disgusted with the ragged festering corpse of the Republican Party, that would do it. That’s a basic fundamental of, well, not being stupid.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

I am, and holy poo poo.

Edit: if I wasn’t already disgusted with the ragged festering corpse of the Republican Party, that would do it. That’s a basic fundamental of, well, not being stupid.

https://i.imgur.com/3bGC6Gh.mp4

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope everyone will realize he's doing this so they can justifiably shoot anyone protesting.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I live in south dakota and the largest city (~200k) already rioted and they are getting the riot gear ready here in the 2nd largest* (100k)

itshappening

e: *they launched teargas at the mall and dumpsters on fire so the gear is out

taqueso fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 1, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Woke up to a barrage of missed calls and angry texts, but that's kind of the normal now (and why I keep my phone on silent). Starting to consider changing my phone number...

Found out the mall across the street from my old place had looters. That mall is right by my workplace. :ohdear: There's also a Target down the street that shut down early and got boarded up in a hurry (it was one of the only ones that tried to stay open here).

It's not as bad here as it is in a lot of other cities, but it's getting there in a hurry.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 1, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Well, I doubt you're in much danger, but stay safe anyway STR.

E: or set some cop cars in fire for fun, but I think you're a bit old for that.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

STR posted:

Woke up to a barrage of missed calls and angry texts, but that's kind of the normal now (and why I keep my phone on silent). Starting to consider changing my phone number...

Isn't it like, trivially easy to block a phone number on most any phone these days? Try to answer this without rationalizing not doing it.

Drove to a park with my girlfriend today to have lunch and throw a frisbee around. It's like five minutes away. Had to slam on the brakes at an intersection when the light went green and I saw a distant sportbike coming at me around 60 or 70 and knew there was no way he was going to stop in time. Sure enough, he runs the red and a few seconds later two police cruisers come hauling rear end around the corner after him. You know, normal 2020 sunday afternoon kinda stuff. Lived in LA my entire life and was always a little bitter about not witnessing a chase, so got to tick that box I guess. Bright side of everyone going full GTA V?

(the cruisers flipped off their lights and stopped for the red, so I think bikebro might have escaped)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Elviscat posted:

Well, I doubt you're in much danger, but stay safe anyway STR.

E: or set some cop cars in fire for fun, but I think you're a bit old for that.

Yeah uh, the suburb I lived in don't play around. In the almost 2 years I lived there, I got stopped more times than I have in the past 20 years combined. The cops there really don't like me (specifically, they don't like beaters).

Not working tonight, but I mostly work when the store is closed anyway. And I know how to GTFO of the building if poo poo does goes down (there's plenty of exits that aren't plainly visible, and our internal security actively monitors the cameras and local issues). Just kinda shocked that a suburban mall got hit.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That"s why a lot of PDs have "Do not pursue" policies, the other day I came across the aftermath of State Patrol chasing a guy on a sport bike, and I could tell by the dent in the car door, and the number of cops on scene that the guy on the bike didn't make it. Later confirmed as a fatality by the local paper.

E:^^^ well that's good (the knowing how and when to bug out part, not the Police State bit).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

There's certain advantages to working overnight. Like being able to just wander around the building on breaks/lunch and discover doors. :v:

Okay, every. loving. door. in the place is alarmed, but all but 2 just notify internal security and make 2 (out of like... 8?) keypads start chirping and showing which door has been opened, 24/7, regardless of if the alarm is armed or not (the main doors do the same if the alarm is armed, and there's plenty of doors that you can't open without calling LP first unless you like getting fired). The company has its own alarm monitoring, they jump on our cameras as soon as an alarm gets triggered, they call the store immediately to confirm "yeah some dipshit didn't badge out properly" or "yeah that glass break sensor was set off by someone dropping a pallet... again", and if poo poo looks like it's gone to poo poo, they call the police before they call the store.

One benefit to working for a big company: they consolidate internal alarm monitoring with much of LP (we have on-site LP as well, plus ~2 weeks worth of footage on-site), so they have remote access to the entire camera system so long as the building hasn't burned down. I'm not even sure how many cameras we have, but it has to be at least 50. You can't scratch your rear end or pick your nose without someone seeing it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
And once again, the 97 days of May are over.

Even the Giant Meteor is saying LOLNO this is getting too much to believe