Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

withoutclass posted:

I have the BGW, I just run it in pass through mode and it works fine.

If I'm going to do this, I should just buy another Edgerouter X and perhaps another AP? Not sure what has changed with the product line in the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Is there a home wireless mesh product that doesn't require cloud management and doesn't report user traffic to manufacturers by default? IPS and Antimalware can gently caress right off. They are only there for ""analytics"".

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I think you can "turn it off" in Unifi but I don't know if that actually prevents it from reporting stats. You don't need to actually be internet connected to use the CloudKey. Despite it's name, it can run in standalone mode.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If your mesh system isn't your router you can filter it all at the router level if it supports it. Just block the AP ips from connecting to the internet. Just like you should be doing for all iot garbage in your house (cameras, nest, ring, light bulbs, fridge, etc.)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

H110Hawk posted:

If your mesh system isn't your router you can filter it all at the router level if it supports it. Just block the AP ips from connecting to the internet. Just like you should be doing for all iot garbage in your house (cameras, nest, ring, light bulbs, fridge, etc.)

I know the point you're making but also blocking nest hardware from accessing the internet kind of defeats the point of it.

Don't buy Nest if you're not okay with cloud storage/connection

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I took a glance at what I assumed to be the phone jacks in our home and was pleasantly surprised to find that they were CAT5, so we’ve been wired for data this entire time. I had previously run some flat cable up the side of our stairs but this will serve to be a bit cleaner and also let my main PC get wired access instead of WiFi so that’s great too. Is there anything I should know about this? I assume I’d pass a cable from my router to the wall and then anything from there would be good.

Though I assume that you’d need a switch somewhere to handle routing on the network so you don’t have crosstalk and whatnot. I vaguely remember seeing something like that in the panel where the unused security system lives. I may have to go crack that open again.

Edit: I assume that since the wiring/drilling is already done that it would be far less of a pain to change this out for CAT6?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The difficulty of change depends on if you can use the existing cat6 as a pull line. If they tap in cable clamps and you can’t freely tug the cat5 it’s just about as difficult of a job.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Don't remove cat5 that works just because you see cat6 on the shelves. Just change the termination from rj-11 to rj-45 and call it done.

Twists in the wire prevent cross talk (layer 1), switches prevent collisions (layer 2).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
If it's old cat5 he's gonna get capped at 100/100 no?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Or at least, not likely. Most, if not all, cat5 cable that existed before the cat5e standard was ratified tests out to '5e'.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The jacks read Cat 5e so I'll have to run some speedtests or something I suppose. This would have been a bit easier if I still owned a laptop with an ethernet port though I think I have a Eth to USB converter around somewhere. Is there hardware/software I should secure to assist in the job?

Also what are the benefits of swapping the termination points?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Warbird posted:

The jacks read Cat 5e so I'll have to run some speedtests or something I suppose. This would have been a bit easier if I still owned a laptop with an ethernet port though I think I have a Eth to USB converter around somewhere. Is there hardware/software I should secure to assist in the job?

Also what are the benefits of swapping the termination points?

If the jacks are rj45 then no.

Use iperf.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So I just moved into a new place and have had a surprising interaction with my new internet provider. I think I need some external insights to tell if this is normal or out of whack.

We signed up for Spectrum cable internet. They sent us an installation package and said they would send techs to help us install it. I called them today and they told us they would only send techs to run coaxial cable. They would not provide any help running Ethernet cable. They would not drill holes or pin any Ethernet cable, but would do so for coaxial cable. They said we needed to use an 3rd party service for running any Ethernet cable from the modem/router to any desired rooms.

I have never encountered this in my life. In any previous move the internet provider was completely willing and able to drill holes and run Ethernet cable to all desired locations in the house.

Is this the new norm or is something amiss here?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'll be honest, I've never heard of them running any sort of cable beyond what's necessary to get to a reasonable single termination point in the house. I wouldn't expect them to recable your entire internal ethernet network and add new ethernet drops when only a coaxial cable is necessary to get service to their modem. Least of all for only the cost of a new internet service installation fee.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Megasabin posted:

So I just moved into a new place and have had a surprising interaction with my new internet provider. I think I need some external insights to tell if this is normal or out of whack.

We signed up for Spectrum cable internet. They sent us an installation package and said they would send techs to help us install it. I called them today and they told us they would only send techs to run coaxial cable. They would not provide any help running Ethernet cable. They would not drill holes or pin any Ethernet cable, but would do so for coaxial cable. They said we needed to use an 3rd party service for running any Ethernet cable from the modem/router to any desired rooms.

I have never encountered this in my life. In any previous move the internet provider was completely willing and able to drill holes and run Ethernet cable to all desired locations in the house.

Spectrum doesn't do it, nor does any other cable ISP I've had in the US (Cox, Comcast, TWC before Spectrum).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
You can try sliding the installer some $ but I've never seen it as a feature. You're lucky if they will even run it to your primary TV.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Warbird posted:

I took a glance at what I assumed to be the phone jacks in our home and was pleasantly surprised to find that they were CAT5, so we’ve been wired for data this entire time. I had previously run some flat cable up the side of our stairs but this will serve to be a bit cleaner and also let my main PC get wired access instead of WiFi so that’s great too. Is there anything I should know about this? I assume I’d pass a cable from my router to the wall and then anything from there would be good.

Though I assume that you’d need a switch somewhere to handle routing on the network so you don’t have crosstalk and whatnot. I vaguely remember seeing something like that in the panel where the unused security system lives. I may have to go crack that open again.

Edit: I assume that since the wiring/drilling is already done that it would be far less of a pain to change this out for CAT6?

You will need to figure out where the cables in the wall terminate (assumedly the panel you mentioned). Then you need something to connect ISP->Router/switch->cables in the walls (likely via the patch panel)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I have only ever had a cable co get a coax termination as far as possible to get the modem or TV hooked up, and no more. If you want extra cable run, I'd look for independent satellite installers. We had one come in to wire the whole house, two drops to every bedroom, one to the upstairs ceiling for an AP, and two each to the living room and den.

He didn't do any terminations at the source, but he did terminate at the wall plates. I put everything into a patch panel and comms rack in the basement. I think I paid $100 per drop, materials included. Worth it wiring an entire two story house on both levels, I'd say.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Was this previous ISP a much smaller local ISP? Anything that exists in more than one city you can almost guarantee won't be touching Ethernet cable pulling/drilling for liability reasons.

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003
I had FiOS come out to my house a couple weeks ago to upgrade to gigabit. They wouldn't come in the house but just feed some cat 6 in from the outside and let me pull as much as I needed directly from the spool to get it to my patch panel.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Updated the firmware on my brother's Orbi nodes. Backhaul status same, transfer rate between main node and satellite node is 5GHz 866 Mbps with decent -40ish RSSI signal, just as before the firmware update. Devices connected to satellite node are still only maxing out at 100ish Mbps on 5GHz AC wifi. Super frustrating, and I can't figure out why the speed gets obliterated when devices connect to the satellite.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Megasabin posted:

This is not in the least surprising; your expectations are through the roof here. You're lucky if they're willing to do more than drill a hole through an exterior wall to run a coax cable, and then an interior (not inside a wall) cable run between that and your cable modem. I could maybe see them running lines to where you'd put cable boxes because those runs would pay for themselves over time as they charge you rent for the boxes. Wiring up your home network doesn't make them any money and, as mentioned, brings in a whole lot of liability issues.

If your previous internet provider did this, you either had an extremely generous provider or an extremely generous installer tech.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Megasabin posted:

:words:

Like others said, what you’re describing has never been a thing I’ve encountered. They’ll run a line into the house to the point that you’ve got a sane place to setup your modem or ONT.

And honestly, I don’t really want them tromping in the house. I don’t trust that it won’t be a giant pain in the rear end if there’s a disagreement on the work done or any damage.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Alrighty, I’m glad I asked. Seems like I’ve been completely spoiled by my previous internet providers. I accept I will need to get it done separately.

What type of company will provide this service? An electrician? Are there small tech companies that will explicitly set up Ethernet lines as part of their services offered? I don’t really feel I have the know how to be randomly drilling so I’d like this done by a professional, especially since it needs to go multiple places in the house. I’m in NYC if that matters.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

Megasabin posted:

Alrighty, I’m glad I asked. Seems like I’ve been completely spoiled by my previous internet providers. I accept I will need to get it done separately.

What type of company will provide this service? An electrician? Are there small tech companies that will explicitly set up Ethernet lines as part of their services offered? I don’t really feel I have the know how to be randomly drilling so I’d like this done by a professional, especially since it needs to go multiple places in the house. I’m in NYC if that matters.

You can get local Low Voltage Techs to do the install, While a electrician and run the wires for you and you self terminate the cables (Suggested if you go this route, sparks are really bad about doing this wrong)

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Megasabin posted:

Alrighty, I’m glad I asked. Seems like I’ve been completely spoiled by my previous internet providers.

Which ones were they as if they still offer that, it might save someone a bundle...

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Heners_UK posted:

Which ones were they as if they still offer that, it might save someone a bundle...

My previous one was Verizon FIOS, which I guess does that because FIOS directly connects to Ethernet. They 100% wired the house, drilled holes to multiple rooms on multiple floors. They ended up putting 5 ethernet access points in.

I had something similar done in Atlanta about 5 years ago, but I do not remember what provider we used because my housemate paid the bills/set it all up.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Megasabin posted:

My previous one was Verizon FIOS, which I guess does that because FIOS directly connects to Ethernet. They 100% wired the house, drilled holes to multiple rooms on multiple floors. They ended up putting 5 ethernet access points in.

I had something similar done in Atlanta about 5 years ago, but I do not remember what provider we used because my housemate paid the bills/set it all up.

Interesting. I have Gigabit Fiber through CenturyLink but they only did the drilling to run the fiber to an ONT they mounted inside.

That said I have an old house that’d be a pain in the rear end to run jacks for so it’s fine.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I've had FiOS installed 3x over the last 15 years (in NJ) and they never offered to do that; granted, the first 2 times were in apartments and the last time was just recently, when they couldn't come inside (had to walk me through some dumb crap to work around the 12 year old ONT from a few owners ago).

From what I know of Verizon I'd be surprised if their techs were encouraged or even allowed to do that level of interior wiring. And re: fiber, functionally, an ONT is the same as a cable modem (if not even simpler) in terms of how it transitions you from ISP or media related wiring to "the Ethernet that goes into your/their router". Can't see why they would build in the time/money (surely equivalent to at least one additional new install, if not two or three) for a tech to go the extra mile few hundred feet in terms of what happens after the router.

Wonder if they have some sort of extra install option/plan that was in play for Megasabin's install that time, because otherwise it's just an incredible amount of going above and beyond!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Telco's used to have the option of some kind of "inside wiring plan", I wonder if it was some strange holdover from that?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have cable TV companies in the US typically handled the installation of coaxial drops for cable boxes? I guess if your TV service is IP based then a spool of Cat5e is the new RG6 and you run that out to the locations where a (revenue-generating) TV box might end up.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I need a new router to replace the piece of poo poo that Plusnet gave me. I was going to get an Archer C9 but I don't have a separate fibre modem, my current router has one built in, so I'd have to buy one separately.

I'm thinking that these are basically the C9 but with a built-in modem, is that correct?

And also, does anyone know why, even though they both say Archer VR900, the second one is cheaper and looks different?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Wireless...91093316&sr=8-1

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Wireless...91093316&sr=8-4

edit: Also, does the USB port on these allow you to connect an external hard drive and share it over the network? And does the router have anything in its firmware to back-up said drive to a cloud service?

chippy fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 2, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you need anything special, or just better wireless support and something a bit more stable? Because the BT Smart Hubs are like £20 on eBay and work fine with Plusnet.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Thanks Ants posted:

Do you need anything special, or just better wireless support and something a bit more stable? Because the BT Smart Hubs are like £20 on eBay and work fine with Plusnet.

Yeah, better WiFi and stability. Between all the Google Homes and smart plugs and things here, I've got about 20 devices on the WiFi, and the Plusnet router I have seems to fall over and need restarting at least once a day. Are the BT Smart Hubs decent?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They're good for the price if you just need something that doesn't fall over all the time. They have nothing really in the way of features.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Hmm ok, cheers for the info. I'll think about it, I want to make sure I get something with really decent WiFi though, I do have a couple of dead spots currently..

Thanks, Thanks Ants.

Thants.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ok, I popped open that panel and it appears that whoever built this place had some sort of generic switch dohickey up above the security system stuff along with some coax splitters. I’m fact I recall looking at this years ago and figuring it was for the security system and potential IP cameras or the like.

So data in on the left there from what I presume is the jack beside the coax/Internet in plug in the main room. Looks like I have 3 Ethernet jacks around the house? I know of two plus the “in” one mentioned already. Maybe there’s one behind our bedroom dresser that I’m forgetting.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 2, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that an active (powered) piece of kit? It looks like it might just be a thing to electrically isolate the data line which is meant to pass through it, and then break out phone service.

Edit: It's just something dumb - https://www.legrand.us/onq/structured-wiring/voice-distribution/voice-modules/tm7556.aspx

Does at least mean you probably have Cat5e cables running to your phone jacks though.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 2, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Neat. There is an electrical outlet in there so I could sub in a small powered switch if needed for whatever reason. I’ll go play with it this afternoon if I can find enough Ethernet cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Unscrew your phone jacks and see what's there, they're probably punched into RJ11 keystones in which case you just need to order yourself some new keystones and a punchdown tool. Or I guess you can get tool-free keystone jacks and save yourself the hassle.