Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

playing Predator: Hunting Grounds and watching the Predator pick off people in lowest-health order and then realizing you're next is a hell of a feeling

I give the game 10/10 Predators, would Predator again A+++++++++

I heard it was bad.

Isn't it only for PS4 or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I heard it was bad.

Isn't it only for PS4 or something?

It’s on the Epic Games Store for PC, although it has cross-play with the PS4.

Epic is doing a $10-off sale for anything over $15, so I got the game for $30 and it’s pretty entertaining so far. I feel that the humans at least control better with the mouse and keyboard, haven’t tried the Predator yet.
I got taken out by the Predator self destruct in a recent game, but that’s probably because I stuck around to pump 4 shotgun shells into the thing’s face.

It’s a little shallow, but games are 15 minutes or less and they just released DLC where you can play as Dutch, with Arnold Schwarzenegger recording new dialogue. There’s more DLC on the way, my money is on Danny Glover as Harrigan. They’ve also leaked that the new “Alpha Predator” action figure from NECA is making its way into the game as a Predator character skin, which is neat.

I’m having a good time with it for $30 bucks; I find myself firing it up and playing 2-3 rounds and then putting it back down, and then coming back to it several hours later. I like that the rounds go quick, it helps keep it from getting stale or feeling like a big time investment.

Also the remix of the Predator theme that plays during the main menu is pretty slick.

https://youtu.be/Bs9KRhrFwjs

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Is Dutch paid DLC?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is Dutch paid DLC?

He is

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Man I just can't afford the Dutch DLC. I hope I could find someone else who can't afford it, maybe we could split the cost in some way. Like if we both paid half. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I finally got around to watching Covenant on the weekend. I was expecting it to be awful, based on what I’d heard/read, but I thought it was okay. Not Alien/Aliens good, but maybe Alien3 good.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The hate is way overblown and a lot of the criticism is along the cinemasins or tactical realism "well I would have" lines. Not great but certainly not as awful as the rep. If nothing else Fassbender Fassbent the poo poo out of his performance.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I liked his Data/Lore performance

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Owlbear Camus posted:

If nothing else Fassbender Fassbent the poo poo out of his performance.

He's basically the only thing I really like about those movies. He does a great job.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Prometheus & Alien: Covenant are best if you consider David the protagonist.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Piggybacking off my previous avatar post, a lot of cameron's work has been super on the nose, like a verhoeven movie, but everyone gets too caught up in the shooting and action to pick up on nuances

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I watched Alien for the first time on my new 65" "quarantine survival" TV and it's incredible all the small details you see in things like background set details.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

etalian posted:

I watched Alien for the first time on my new 65" "quarantine survival" TV and it's incredible all the small details you see in things like background set details.

I just got a new 65" on Monday too. I don't think the black color was as good on my 5 year old 55" so I might have to break this one in soon.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I was re-watching Event Horizon, and I was reminded of the Alien movies. Some of the little scenery details make the set feel like a real place. Early on in Event Horizon, I noticed that on the rescue ship, Lewis & Clark, the Captain's chair had a rip on the head rest that was patched up with electrical tape.

It made me think of the Nostromo and Sulaco, how the ships had that slightly scuffed and dinged look of a work place, and everything wasn't all shiny and spotless like Star Trek.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

To be fair, Star Trek ships were generally Federation or military ships and you generally don't let your stations get dirty. /shrug

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Star Trek is also supposed to be a post-scarcity utopia, and the Alien universe is, uh, the opposite.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Zombie Guy posted:

I was re-watching Event Horizon, and I was reminded of the Alien movies. Some of the little scenery details make the set feel like a real place. Early on in Event Horizon, I noticed that on the rescue ship, Lewis & Clark, the Captain's chair had a rip on the head rest that was patched up with electrical tape.

It made me think of the Nostromo and Sulaco, how the ships had that slightly scuffed and dinged look of a work place, and everything wasn't all shiny and spotless like Star Trek.

Yeah it's all the small set dressing details like the coffee cups in the bridge and how during the fight scene with Ash you can can topless women posters on one of the walls.

Sells the realistic lived in nature of the ship such as how the crew added in small details to customize their personal space.

It's basically hourly workers in space.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

etalian posted:

Sells the realistic lived in nature of the ship such as how the crew added in small details to customize their personal space.

Ripley has a photo of Jones as a kitten taped to her bridge terminal. I’m phone-posting or I’d upload it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Ripley has a photo of Jones as a kitten taped to her bridge terminal. I’m phone-posting or I’d upload it.

It's one of my favorite realistic details similar how to people customize their offices and all the small realistic elements of disorder like the coffee cups in the bridge area.

It also owns that spaceship film was a multi-story "practical set" which added to the sense of realism and claustrophobia

etalian fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 6, 2020

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Not quite Aliens but Alien-adjacent: listened to the latest Unspooled podcast and they were talking Blade Runner. Apparently one of the reasons the movie looks so drat good is because there was an actor's strike so the production department just kept working during the pause & went whole hog while killing time.

Also apparently Ridley Scott isn't as interested at directing his actors as he is setting up shots.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ridley Scott is an amazing artist, story board artist, set and costume designer, and cinematographer but not great at writing, story, or character

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh god, I drank a ton last night and had a crazy Predator dream (2 actually). I know that there were a few hunting us and they all had crazy individual looks like the movies. All I remember is dying a lot. In my dreams. They'd kill me and I'd sort of come back to life just for them to kill me again. One part I remember is resorting to throwing scissors. Those were my weapons. I had maybe 10 of them and I kept throwing them at the face of one Predator and they just kept bouncing off. Then he picked them all up and threw them back at me. I held up my hand to block them, looked away, looked back at my hand and I had like 5 scissors sticking out of my hand that I had to slowly pull out each one.

At the end before I woke up one picked my up by my crotch and slammed me down and I literally exploded. They picked me up EXACTLY like this.

It sucked.

Then I woke up, had a cigarette, got really tired again and laid down to "rest my eyes." I went back into the same god drat dream 30 minutes later!!! Although this time I had a tripod mounted minigun and things went much smoother.

The dreams were so vivid and terrifying. I felt the need to tell you guys.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

Not quite Aliens but Alien-adjacent: listened to the latest Unspooled podcast and they were talking Blade Runner. Apparently one of the reasons the movie looks so drat good is because there was an actor's strike so the production department just kept working during the pause & went whole hog while killing time.

Also apparently Ridley Scott isn't as interested at directing his actors as he is setting up shots.

having watched alien covenant, it also appears he doesnt care much about what the actors are doing at all.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pretty much yeah

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lmao this owns.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Oh yes, COVID-19. I vaguely remember something like that. Sure is nice to live in a place where it’s gone away.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lmao this owns.

Yes. Yes it does.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1138289-sigourney-weaver-doesnt-think-return-alien-franchise

Weaver is not thinking about Aliens, but I'm OK with no more Ripley movies.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Gnome de plume posted:

Something that's always been on my mind about this: was Arnold the only one they couldn't get to do a smile for the camera?

Arnie was busy getting into character for his next movie and it would have spoiled his method

Hillary 2024 fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 15, 2020

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Riatsala posted:

All the time, but more in the sense that I forgot basically everything about Avatar, despite seeing it three times. That movie is teflon coated as far as my brain is concerned.

There are some movies that do that to me and they all seem to be bland in an inoffensive but completely unengaging way. Off the top of my head: Thor 2: The Dark World. I've seen it two or three times since it came out but I can't for the life of me remember who the bad guys are or what the plot is for that movie. I can see image flashes when I think about it but that movie just will not stick in my memory.

Avatar I can generally remember because it was just a generic sort of Dances with Wolves / Pochahontas feel to it. The plot is a very ham fisted and shallow with the corporate / technological humans being bad and the spiritual natives aliens being good. There's no arc for any of the characters, nothing is learned and at no point do you feel any conflicting emotions. The bad guys lose, the heroes win after a few background characters get squashed. Roll credits. There's no way I'm paying multiplex prices to see what new exciting adventures are in store for the gang in the sequels.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Shameless crosspost from the cursed images thread, where 'cursed' means different things to different folks

SEXY SINGLE MOMS IN *TOWN NAME* WANT TO CHAT! CLICK TO HOOK UP FREE

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Those images are highly blessed

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
How could anyone consider that cursed?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

How could anyone consider that cursed?

People who have never thought about Aliens.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Who are these monsters?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Hillary 2020 posted:

Avatar I can generally remember because it was just a generic sort of Dances with Wolves / Pochahontas feel to it. The plot is a very ham fisted and shallow with the corporate / technological humans being bad and the spiritual natives aliens being good. There's no arc for any of the characters, nothing is learned and at no point do you feel any conflicting emotions. The bad guys lose, the heroes win after a few background characters get squashed. Roll credits. There's no way I'm paying multiplex prices to see what new exciting adventures are in store for the gang in the sequels.

You'll be pleased to know that the Avatar 2 crew just got out of their mandatory 2-week managed self-isolation and went into production properly in Wellington yesterday.

Like yeah, I couldn't give a poo poo about Avatar 2 (although you just know it'll probably make a lot of money), but these overseas productions are absolutely vital for New Zealand right now because it provides a massive economic boost to the areas they film in.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 15, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Pennywise found dead from arrow injury after taking the quadrilogy boxed set to the sentinal islands. "they never thought about aliens!" were his dying words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cargo cults but they make a power loader out of wood.

And a big toilet for the alien 3 disc.