Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Omegamon is also the ultimate Ultimate form of Adventure's protagonist and his rival's partner Digimon, so it's apples and oranges in Adventure canon when contrasting Omegamon with Seraphimon who is yet another Ultimate evolution of a partner's Digimon who isn't Agumon/Gabumon. Patamon's Adventure evolution line is supposed to be very strong, but nowhere near Omegamon's strength.

And yeah, Patamon's various evolution lines have been nothing but the biggest jobbers outside of Adventure, which never helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just sick of the whole "Patamon is even more special than the specialness implied to him by canon" notion when a lot of his most impressive feats have caveats like he was using the power of the whole team, or the fact that he has a damage bonus against certain kinds of enemies.

It contributes to this notion that the series is mistreating him when he struggles because his +Holy Damage doesn't work on a giant bug or Seraphimon isn't portrayed like the coolest and most powerful member of the team.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
We all know that power levels mean nothing in this franchise. Every series has their ultimate form be the best thing ever until a new enemy comes along and clowns all over it. Many Digimon are established as “really strong” but that power relative to others is rarely consistent. Especially when they establish them as part of some group like the Royal Knights, Celestials, Four Gods, Demon Lords, Olympus XII. We have no idea how members of those groups stack up to each other because they all keep getting hyped as the apex of whatever writing they’re in. We’re not even touching characters who are retroactively added to these groups.

They’re all super powerful and important. At least, as long as they don’t enter a plot. Then all that takes a nosedive. Whether happen to be enemies or allies to the current protagonists, their grandiose lore evaporates and most become glorified goons or helpless victims whenever the plot demands. Outside of maybe one or two who act as the main villain. All it so our heroes can look better beating and/or saving them.

We just single out Seraphimon because being “powerful guy who gets beaten down to hype current villain” is all they ever use him for. Leomon at least gets a couple of fights to show him as strong and noble before his inevitable tragic death. Seraphimon skips all that just to get flattened by whoever they feel like today.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Patamon's line had an amazing run in NJPW/Adventure, but then he went to NXT/02 and the downplayed him, and the following 20 years on WWE had him job so bad, all his pushes were squandered. His little run in the indies/Tri went pretty well, but he's past his prime so no title run or anything.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You'd think that'd be great set-up for a heel turn, wouldn't you? Push him over by having him take down faces he'd jobbed for before.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Adventure: may still be on break but at least YabuTen gives us something about it with a small peek of the upcoming V-Tamer/Adventure: crossover.
https://twitter.com/YABU_Ten/status/1257787806883037185

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Finished my re-watch of Digimon Savers. Pretty good and highly entertaining and all, but man, the last arc of the series is not great at all. The show just tries to do too much towards the end and it feels like there's no focus between the Royal Knights (who have zero development or significance whatsoever besides Craniummon, who is actually really cool), Yggdrasil, Masaru's whole deal with his dad, etc. Kind of weird because Savers has a strong focus before then. I feel like the staff wanted to do a Tamers-style last arc where humans and Digimon need to work together to save both worlds while confronting the mistakes humanity made, but it just doesn't come together and feels so sloppy. The ending is trash too. I'm really not a fan of how Yggdrasil is like "Uh yeah, I guess you're right, see ya" with no further reasoning after Masaru punches it. Agumon Burst Mode straight up sucks hard too. I have no clue why they didn't do a surprise jogress burst form or something genuinely cool to take down Yggdrasil in the final episode. Masaru's dad coming back from the dead is the lamest thing. Savers kind of has a huge problem with little to no lasting consequences for its characters (unlike Adventure and Tamers especially), but the ending is the worst of it.

Savers is still my third favorite Digimon series, but it's a far third after Tamers first and Adventure as my second favorite and definitely doesn't hold up as well compared to watching it years and years ago the first time.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 14, 2020

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Digimon peaked when they defeated a virus by DDOSing it with spam. Everything that came before and after it pales in comparison.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

lezard_valeth posted:

Digimon peaked when they defeated a virus by DDOSing it with spam. Everything that came before and after it pales in comparison.
And music by the B-52s's keyboardist Paul Gordon was playing in the background.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 20, 2020

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

That and Tamers’ finale was one of the very few times that the writers solved a problem by remembering that these are “Digital” monsters. This one gets even more points by weaponizing the hopes and prayers of children in a way that isn’t cliche.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Geostomp posted:

This one gets even more points by weaponizing the hopes and prayers of children in a way that isn’t cliche.

It's great because it does both within 30 seconds of each other. First it's the cliche hope and prayers that allows Wargreymon and Metalgarurumon to digivolve. Then it's the non cliche weaponization of it to lag Diaboromon.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
It's V-Jump time, folks. Lots of stuff:

https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1262975914775699456

Unfortunately, still no Survive news.

A new series of v-pets, the Z series is announced. Looks like they'll be using the pendulum shells so that's neat. I enjoyed the X series so I'm glad they're still gonna do more.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 20, 2020

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Omegamon slowly turning into the Charizard of Digimon

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Is there some big thing going with V tamer anniversary wise or is it all just tying into Adventure :?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

lezard_valeth posted:

Omegamon slowly turning into the Charizard of Digimon

It’s flat out the other way around. There are, what, at least six different Omegamon versions?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Is there some big thing going with V tamer anniversary wise or is it all just tying into Adventure :?

It’s not an anniversary but V Tamer’s been getting a lot of focus. There’s new V Tamer cards in the new tcg, there’s a V Tamer crossover with the new show, and Arcadiamon was a big plot point in Hacker’s Memory.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ConanThe3rd posted:

I think it's just Adventure: propaganda but they got YabuTen to help so it became V-Tamer nostalgia as well. Which is fine, I reread V-Tamer recently and it's still super good.

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s flat out the other way around. There are, what, at least six different Omegamon versions?

Enough to have their own page.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's not even like they're that aggressive with pushing him. Like all the new Charizard forms and such stick out because they're usually in the marketing for the games or whatever. The new Omegamons are usually hanging out in the background getting added in while no one is paying attention

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wouldn't say that. Alter-S was essentially created for the Pendulum 20th, and Alter-B was the final boss of a major video game release for the franchise. Chaosmon was the ultimate Digimon of the Accelerator series, leaving Zwart as the only one that premiered to relatively little fanfare.

A thing you have to remember, Digimon is more than just an anime franchise. The US side of it can make things skewed but virtual pet releases and games are still important to the fanbase in Japan.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

I wouldn't say that. Alter-S was essentially created for the Pendulum 20th, and Alter-B was the final boss of a major video game release for the franchise. Chaosmon was the ultimate Digimon of the Accelerator series, leaving Zwart as the only one that premiered to relatively little fanfare.

A thing you have to remember, Digimon is more than just an anime franchise. The US side of it can make things skewed but virtual pet releases and games are still important to the fanbase in Japan.

Alter-B was also released alongside Zwart D, who got a lot of focus on the trailers for Next Order, while Alter-B was a surprise final boss, giving you a 2x1 Omegamon punch. And of course, Merciful Mode was introduced at the end of Tri specifically because Toei wanted another Omegamon, that's just the sheer selling power Omegamon has.

Also, probably important on that point: Omegamon is the single most liked Digimon in the franchise, as of the last popularity poll. That's something Charizard cannot say for Pokemon, since Greninja is actually #1 there.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also, probably important on that point: Omegamon is the single most liked Digimon in the franchise, as of the last popularity poll. That's something Charizard cannot say for Pokemon, since Greninja is actually #1 there.

Charizard was first in a Reddit poll, and I think if you asked most people once would probably win just because the deeper into generations you go, the more and more people you lose people. Lots of people who were fans of Pokémon at some point around 2000 still don’t know what Greninja is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ah yes, a reddit poll.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Lots of people who were fans of Pokémon at some point around 2000 still don’t know what Greninja is.
Maybe in America.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I remember Rayquaza was #1 for a period too, it got a special promo version for being #1

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so ReArise added a new interesting line for Qinglongmon;

Elecmon(Virus)-> Tuskmon-> Triceramon-> Qinglongmon

what makes this really interesting is a couple things; A) it's literally the third thing ever that Elecmon(Virus) has been included in, B) it's basically the first thing Tuskmon has been used in at all since like 2002(not counting V-Pets that is), C) it's basically combining together both an old line from the old TCG(Elecmon to Tuskmon to Triceramon) with the more recent thing Tri did when they revealed that Qinglongmon evolved from a Triceramon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's a good line.

Personally I like Dracomon > Airdramon > Majiramon > Qinglongmon for the old dragon dude.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Digimon is returning to the airwaves next week, starting with episode 1.

we should get new episodes soon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is cute art!

https://twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1267290465641984001
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1267307126197751808

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TA’s gonna get the snot beat out of him...

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Nah, he'll donate it to Aurumon at Archive Island.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

This is really cute!! :3:

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

thetoughestbean posted:

Moumentai.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We got a new video showcasing what's to come in Adventure:
It's a recap but it also has quite a lot of new stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_jH32BttXA

Important stuff in it:
-Everyone gets their Mega. They aren't locked to Tri!
-The children have to cross the seas/ocean/whatever to get to a tall mountain where they'll meet "the sacred Digimon of Hope and Light that fought alongside the warriors" (rough translation from my part), almost definitely Patamon and Tailmon. Since said warriors are the Megas from the rest, and we know Agumon and Patamon fought in a war in the past thanks to their character profiles, it stands to reason that every Digimon was a Mega in some big war in the ancient Digital World and were reborn in their current forms, which is brand-new backstory.
-Ogremon and Devimon are back.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

That’s a big step up from their OG backstory of being made in a lab by the legion of identical young-Gennais.

They never did explain where the 02 kid’s partners came from, did they?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
God, this show is so cool

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Geostomp posted:

That’s a big step up from their OG backstory of being made in a lab by the legion of identical young-Gennais.

They never did explain where the 02 kid’s partners came from, did they?

No, they did. Vaguely and lamely, but they did. In one of his exposition dumps Gennai said when the Digimon Kaiser started Digimon Kaisering they ran out, found some digimon that could armor evolve, and set them up to be found and become partners. He also says it's nothing but complete dumb luck that Tailmon and Patamon were also Armor compatible.

Now every single other 02 Chosen from around the world? Not so much. Especially since it's mentioned vaguely in passing a lot of them got their partners in 2001, but absolutely no reason at all is given for what happened then to make it happen (and no clever folks, it wasn't the D1 Tournament since that was like a week after Our War Game).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blaze Dragon posted:

-The children have to cross the seas/ocean/whatever to get to a tall mountain where they'll meet "the sacred Digimon of Hope and Light that fought alongside the warriors" (rough translation from my part), almost definitely Patamon and Tailmon. Since said warriors are the Megas from the rest, and we know Agumon and Patamon fought in a war in the past thanks to their character profiles, it stands to reason that every Digimon was a Mega in some big war in the ancient Digital World and were reborn in their current forms, which is brand-new backstory.

Good lord they actually are going for the Frontier backstory, aren't they.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mean if they can make it work this time...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

No, they did. Vaguely and lamely, but they did. In one of his exposition dumps Gennai said when the Digimon Kaiser started Digimon Kaisering they ran out, found some digimon that could armor evolve, and set them up to be found and become partners. He also says it's nothing but complete dumb luck that Tailmon and Patamon were also Armor compatible.

Now every single other 02 Chosen from around the world? Not so much. Especially since it's mentioned vaguely in passing a lot of them got their partners in 2001, but absolutely no reason at all is given for what happened then to make it happen (and no clever folks, it wasn't the D1 Tournament since that was like a week after Our War Game).

9/11 maybe, Lord knows that was probably like throwing an atom bomb onto the internet and probably had ripples to the Digital World as well, and depending on how much Gennai might have had involvement in the process might have pushed forward sending all the International Chosen Children their partner Digimon as a precautionary measure

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay so Apocalymon is almost assured as the main big bad now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

Okay so Apocalymon is almost assured as the main big bad now

Presumably they'll do a better job of foreshadowing him this time around

Also since it seems like Patamon and Tailmon aren't going to show up till a fair bit later in the show, makes me wonder how they'll handle Devimon without Angemon