Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Playing in VR has restored some of the wonder in exploring Skyrim, but just sort of standing there while you glide down a road does seem kinda lame. I'm also noticing some details I never would have noticed on a screen, like how all of the interiors (in the grey quarter at least) have elevated floorboards with ground underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ott_ posted:

Playing in VR has restored some of the wonder in exploring Skyrim, but just sort of standing there while you glide down a road does seem kinda lame. I'm also noticing some details I never would have noticed on a screen, like how all of the interiors (in the grey quarter at least) have elevated floorboards with ground underneath.

Make you sure you get the mod that lets you speak the dialogue lines and only do the most embarrassing overdramatic voices possible so you can experience full immersion

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

LLSix posted:

Or you could play with your Vive.

I've been using my Quest instead.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So my Quest order status is on hold last I checked (yesterday), and today when I want to check I get and infinite loop of being sent the email link to check status, but then the link is wrong / I have to log into guest account, which sends a new mail, which is wrong and a new link is sent which is wrong etc.

They sure are making something simple as checking an order status a pain in the rear end... Also, no money has yet been charged.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

So my Quest order status is on hold last I checked (yesterday), and today when I want to check I get and infinite loop of being sent the email link to check status, but then the link is wrong / I have to log into guest account, which sends a new mail, which is wrong and a new link is sent which is wrong etc.

They sure are making something simple as checking an order status a pain in the rear end... Also, no money has yet been charged.

How long ago did you order it? I had the same issue for the first few days of showing no activity beyond "Pending". Also, they wont charge until it ships and they send an official invoice. If in doubt, contact support and make sure there are no issues with your payment method.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Sacred Cow posted:

How long ago did you order it? I had the same issue for the first few days of showing no activity beyond "Pending". Also, they wont charge until it ships and they send an official invoice. If in doubt, contact support and make sure there are no issues with your payment method.

Friday evening. I've been chalking it up to being a weekend etc. Good to know about the money not charging. I've double checked addresses and payment options (as I read that they had problems with that), and everything should good to go. I'll give it another day until I contact them. Thanks. :)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Being a CrItiCAl eMpLOyeE and the fact everything else shut down so people are just bored and coming to grocery stores for entertainment, I've got quite the wad of cash in my pocket. May as well move up in the VR world right? But oculus doesn't have a higher grade headset beyond the S, does it?

I'd like a fancier headset but still want access to my oculus store purchases.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Leal posted:

Being a CrItiCAl eMpLOyeE and the fact everything else shut down so people are just bored and coming to grocery stores for entertainment, I've got quite the wad of cash in my pocket. May as well move up in the VR world right? But oculus doesn't have a higher grade headset beyond the S, does it?

index + revive.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm having the exact same issue (ordered the 28th) so you're not the only one. I assume they're just swamped with orders.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Leal posted:

At the high end it's either Index or soon the Reverb G2. I'd wait for reviews of the Reverb G2, provided the tracking is roughly on par with Quest/Rift-S it might end up being quite a good buy with a pretty ridiculously high resolution and high quality trimmings (Valve designed headphones, padding and lenses), though you kind of need a 1080ti/2080 to take proper advantage of it. Controllers are likely to be a slight downgrade, though they're apparently improved they still have those big fat WMR tracking rings.

Revive will let you access most of your Oculus purchases but there is a performance hit and some compatibility issues with certain titles.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 1, 2020

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

At the high end it's either Index or soon the Reverb G2. I'd wait for reviews of the Reverb G2, provided the tracking is roughly on par with Quest/Rift-S it might end up being quite a good buy with a pretty ridiculously high resolution and high quality trimmings (Valve designed headphones, padding and lenses), though you kind of need a 1080ti/2080 to take proper advantage of it. Controllers are likely to be a slight downgrade, though they're apparently improved they still have those big fat WMR tracking rings.

Revive will let you access most of your Oculus purchases but there is a performance hit and some compatibility issues with certain titles.

Worst thing I've seen about the controllers is they don't have capacitive buttons so you wouldn't get the finger sense that you get on the touch controllers when your fingers are resting on the buttons before pushing them. I'm watching it pretty closely though I need an hmd update and seeing as the vast majority of my vr time at the moment is simming I'm leaning towards the G2.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Is there any kind of "virtual glasses" thing that exists? Like an app where you can input your glasses prescription and it'll modify the visual output on the headset so you can see normally in VR without having wear your glasses? Or maybe a "virtual optician" where you look at the eye chart and calibrate the headset in a similar way to how they test your eyes?

If nothing like that exists already, could such a thing be made? or is what I'm proposing here imposible?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lenses physically bend light, so no. At least, not at this resolution.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Dragonstoned posted:

Is there any kind of "virtual glasses" thing that exists? Like an app where you can input your glasses prescription and it'll modify the visual output on the headset so you can see normally in VR without having wear your glasses? Or maybe a "virtual optician" where you look at the eye chart and calibrate the headset in a similar way to how they test your eyes?

If nothing like that exists already, could such a thing be made? or is what I'm proposing here imposible?

This is called multi focal displays but that’s a ways out still
Just wear glasses, I’ve been wearing mine in VR for ~3 years and many thousands of hours

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Contractors is having a push these days. The other day they launched a big update, including mod support and beta crossplay with Quest

quote:

1. Mod support, pick the map, loadout and game mode you want to play, mix and match them together!
2. Enhanced weapon handling animations.
3. Enhanced gun handling, aiming with a gun is more stable and smooth.
4. Enhanced Lighting with All Maps.
5. New Movement feature: Jumping.
6. New Game Modes: Bomb Defusal, Death Match and GunGame Free For All.
7. Improved Freeroam AI.
8. Tutorial Sequence for beginers.
9. New Attachment Selection UI.
10. New Main Menu UI arrangement.
11. New Hand Gun: P30.
12. Shell Holder For RM870.
13. Improved Sprint Animation, Hands won't seem out of place when seeing other players sprinting.
14. Increased Server Stability.
15. Crossplay with Quest Beta Version. PC players can choose to host "Crossplay Beta" games to crossplay with Quest players.
16. Player count for server can be changed, up to 16 players

and today they have a sale of 50% off in Steam. No idea if it's worth it or not despite all that, if the multiplayer is dead already or what.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Contractors feels really nice to play but the maps are kind of poo poo. Pavlov VR has a ridiculous amount of variety that's hard to compete with.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I'm pretty new at all this, so am I correct in assuming H3VR's Take and Hold is impossible to beat? I still haven't found a locomotion method I'm totally comfortable with, which doesn't help, but the game refuses to give me weapons with magazines - unless it's a bolt-action rifle! - and I get overrun every single time in the first checkpoint thing as I keep trying to stuff these goddamn shells in this goddamn shotgun.

Also got a freaking jump-scare when a giant sausage came out of nowhere and rushed me with a knife. wth have I gotten myself into

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

seravid posted:

I'm pretty new at all this, so am I correct in assuming H3VR's Take and Hold is impossible to beat? I still haven't found a locomotion method I'm totally comfortable with, which doesn't help, but the game refuses to give me weapons with magazines - unless it's a bolt-action rifle! - and I get overrun every single time in the first checkpoint thing as I keep trying to stuff these goddamn shells in this goddamn shotgun.

Also got a freaking jump-scare when a giant sausage came out of nowhere and rushed me with a knife. wth have I gotten myself into

Are you hitting the Supply point before the first Hold point? Assuming you're doing Ricky-Dicky-Random (if you're starting with shotguns and bolt-actions), you'll easily have tokens for another gun and maybe even two if you get one out of a crate there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

seravid posted:

IIRC the first time you defend a point they spawn enemies two at a time and you can even see which direction they're coming from on your radar. So you don't need a magazine, you just need to be able to kill two sausages without having to reload which almost every weapon can do.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I'm running the default mode, with modern weapons loadout. Still only get revolvers and bolts and pump-actions, even at the stations. Not sure how to operate the console with with a rifle and multiple ammos around it, though.

I picked the omni radar, so I know where they're coming from, but after the first two show up, there's another two, and another, and another. I figured shooting the red crystals would put a stop to it, but no dice, and either I die or the countdown goes to zero. I guess I must be overlooking something?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

Contractors feels really nice to play but the maps are kind of poo poo. Pavlov VR has a ridiculous amount of variety that's hard to compete with.

You are talking to the official maps? Well, at least it has some custom ones:
https://contractors.mod.io/?filter=t&tag[]=Map

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

seravid posted:

I'm running the default mode, with modern weapons loadout. Still only get revolvers and bolts and pump-actions, even at the stations. Not sure how to operate the console with with a rifle and multiple ammos around it, though.

I picked the omni radar, so I know where they're coming from, but after the first two show up, there's another two, and another, and another. I figured shooting the red crystals would put a stop to it, but no dice, and either I die or the countdown goes to zero. I guess I must be overlooking something?

When you shoot the red crystals you win. You're probably missing one crystal somewhere.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

You are talking to the official maps? Well, at least it has some custom ones:
https://contractors.mod.io/?filter=t&tag[]=Map

PavlovVR has had a considerable head start, so there's hundreds of maps and modes as opposed to a couple dozen maps and 2 custom game modes. I'm not sure if Contractors is better enough that people will switch.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

PavlovVR has had a considerable head start, so there's hundreds of maps and modes as opposed to a couple dozen maps and 2 custom game modes. I'm not sure if Contractors is better enough that people will switch.

Oh I agree with that, in this cases usually wins the one that takes the lead, and later it's too late to reverse the course. The solution here is for VR to grow enough to allow multiple kind-of-similar online FPS.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

When you shoot the red crystals you win. You're probably missing one crystal somewhere.

Hmm, alright.

Is there a superior method of locomotion or is it down to preference? I'm playing on a Quest, running twin-stick, but having to disable movement on the right controller to use certain weapon functions is pretty confusing during a firefight.

Also: Beat Saber is real, real good. And Pistol Whip. And Robo Recall. And Dirt Rally 2, though it looks terrible and I can only play in very short bursts.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

seravid posted:

Hmm, alright.

Is there a superior method of locomotion or is it down to preference? I'm playing on a Quest, running twin-stick, but having to disable movement on the right controller to use certain weapon functions is pretty confusing during a firefight.

Check this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3aIABzL468

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dragonstoned posted:

Not what you asked for exactly, but you can get lenses for your headset from places like this.

I've not bought from this or any other vendor like it, so buyer beware. I've also no idea if they have an impact on comfort.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

seravid posted:

Hmm, alright.

Try ArmSwinger, it feels surprisingly natural and it's the easiest one to use I think.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Try ArmSwinger, it feels surprisingly natural and it's the easiest one to use I think.

Will do, thanks!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

seravid posted:

Don't forget that you can pick up the Sosig's guns if they have any ammo left in them. They're weak, but good enough for popping the crystals.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
With shotguns and (some) revolvers, it took me a long time to realize you could pick up multiple shells at a time and store them in your pouches like that. It makes reloading them much easier when you’re palming as many as you can actually stuff into the weapon.

With shotguns, you also have to just reload between each wave. Shotguns are definitely my least favourite weapon in the game though.

Finally, it took me an embarrassing amount of time to realize you could “spawn lock” ammo in your inventory by default. I kept running out of ammo in the first wave lol.

I’ve beaten Take and Hold only once, using the WWII loadout, after getting really lucky with a PPSh-41 and an StG-44, both of which had huge magazines and good sights.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I figured the spawn lock, but I had no clue you could grab multiple shells, that's super useful.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
How exactly do you grab multiple shells?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

How exactly do you grab multiple shells?

on Rift S it's click-hold analog stick down and touch other bullets/shells with the one you're holding.

it sucks. clicking the analog stick and moving it in a direction at the same time is an awful thing to do on these controllers, feels like youre going to break the stick.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Inacio posted:

on Rift S it's click-hold analog stick down and touch other bullets/shells with the one you're holding.

it sucks. clicking the analog stick and moving it in a direction at the same time is an awful thing to do on these controllers, feels like youre going to break the stick.

There are several of these little details that doesn't feel good with the Touch controllers, it's obvious he designed them for the Vive wand first.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Im convinced Anton didn’t design the game for any existing controllers, everything is so convoluted and hidden behind some arcane jazzhands routine that isn’t explained.

It’s a great game completely obscured by a bafflingly bad control scheme. Every time he posts some update video all excited about the ability to add an underbarrel taser to some obscure 1920’s Latvian military pistol I get a little more sad about the game because he’s so focused on the minutiae of the tiny details when there is one huge glaring detail that he just refuses to fix and in my opinion ruins the game completely, the control scheme. He clearly has the energy, drive and talent to fix it, but just.......doesn’t?

Then you for listening to my H3vr rant.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
On the Vive and Index controllers, you press and hold the bottom of the touch pad. It’s awkward.

I agree that H3VR controls are rough and I think it’s also due to Anton seemingly playing almost exclusively with the Vive controller. Some of the gestures are really difficult even on the Index due to the smaller, rectangular touchpad. Can’t imagine how it’d work on an oculus controller.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gort posted:

Not what you asked for exactly, but you can get lenses for your headset from places like this.

I've not bought from this or any other vendor like it, so buyer beware. I've also no idea if they have an impact on comfort.

Alternately, you could just get contacts instead. Makes the experience far more comfortable imo, and they're also useful in non-VR headset related situations!

moynar
Apr 15, 2006
Hello!

Inacio posted:

just bind "click" to touching the stick in custom steamvr bindings, I have not found anything that needs stick movement only. In that way you just flip the stick down to set safety instead of the horrible clicking. I have probably 100 hours in h3vr with no issue with armswinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Contractors is having a push these days. The other day they launched a big update, including mod support and beta crossplay with Quest

and today they have a sale of 50% off in Steam. No idea if it's worth it or not despite all that, if the multiplayer is dead already or what.

Yeah, I literally bought it a few hours before it went on sale. Luckily I only had 16 minutes played so I refunded.