Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

I've seen a lot of directors talk at length about their work. I've heard commentaries of them going into meticulous detail on their process, their intent, their thoughts and hopes and regrets, expressing clear moments of pride or disappointment. I've heard them be nonchalant and self-deprecating, I've heard them be defensive and frustrated. I've heard them praise cast and crew on their work, I've heard them cast shade on studio and production.

I struggle to bring to mind any time they've unironically used words like "complex" and "layered" and "beautiful" in regards to themselves, in regards to their own direct output. "My work is complex. My work is layered. My work is beautiful." It sounds loving pretentious and you all know it. :xd:

This post is pretty pretentious to assume what I know and feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'd like to think of it as confident/proud

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Honestly, there's a potentially interesting story in Suicide Squad, but it's very hard to see under all the garbage. I don't know how much of that is the fault of the editing and how much of it is the fault of the writing or directing, but I honestly could have seen a few slight changes and a bit more character development that could have made the movie make a LOT more sense.

As it is, it's a movie with tons of attempts at being flashy and playing music over scenes to make them seem cool but really just makes it all lame as gently caress, and a story that loses sight of itself so you're left wondering why Slipknot and Harley Quinn are on a team designed around fighting Superman-level threats.

I would be more interested in seeing an Ayer cut of SS, than I ever will be about seeing ANY cut of Justice League.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I do believe a good version of Suicide Squad is possible, but it's currently being filmed by James Gunn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Slipknot probably did not actually have any more plot in any version of the story considering this was basically his involvement with the suicide squad in the comics:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mostly I'm just curious if there's a Slipknot intro or something so it isn't so transparently obvious and stupid that he's only there to be killed off early. Like that was just hacky. Josh Whedon watched that and said it was cheap and lame.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

here comes slipknot, the man who can climb anything

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cathy Yan throws her support towards Ayer, but is she also talking about BoP?

https://twitter.com/CathyYan/status...ingawful.com%2F

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arist posted:

here comes slipknot, the man who can climb anything

It's always funny to me Slipknot was a villain of, of all people, Firestorm. The man who can climb anything versus the Nuclear Man. (In complete fairness in the comics he was more about being an assassin who was really good with a rope instead of being noted for his abilities at vertical traversal.)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
If I were Slipknot I'd simply climb up to the top of Firestorm.... and knock his block off.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So you can could anything eh? And you go up against some bloke named Firestorm? Whassee do, shoot fire outta 'is 'ands?

Slipknot: Yeah and also transform and kind of matter into any other kind of matter at will

You give em the ol asbestos lasso?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jamesman posted:

As it is, it's a movie with tons of attempts at being flashy and playing music over scenes to make them seem cool but really just makes it all lame as gently caress, and a story that loses sight of itself so you're left wondering why Slipknot and Harley Quinn are on a team designed around fighting Superman-level threats.

Why is anyone except El Diablo on the team?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Fangz posted:

And then the next year the same director made Bright.

What didn't you like about Ayers' work in Bright?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

This is the only thing I can think of whenever I think about the whole Suicide Squad behind the scenes drama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBM3j7x4Lcw

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The two main criticisms I have if bright are
1) Writer is a sex pest
2) Actually I haven't seen it

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Max Landis was salty that "his Star Wars" was rewritten by Ayer. I wonder why a script about racism among cops in LA written by a rich white guy who got to ride on Space Mountain by himself when he was 10 because his father is a famous director had to be rewritten by a guy from LA who is known for writing movies about cops and race issues.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Lindsay Ellis had a good video about Bright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLOxQxMnEz8

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lindsay Ellis did a pretty good breakdown on why Bright sucks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLOxQxMnEz8

Edit: dammit, that'll teach me to refresh the thread before I post next time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Bright (2017) is probably a better breakdown of why Bright sucks.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
To be honest, I always thought that review got way too nitpicky near the latter half. So what if Bright's internal history doesn't make much sense? I think all the guns and mature content and modern setting kinda obscure the fact that this is still a fake world. The video itself points out that this is an alternate universe; it doesn't need to pass social studies to be interesting. You don't always need immaculate, uncontestable worldbuilding, and in this case it likely wouldn't have helped Bright anyway.

Putting it another way: if Bright had succeeded in its other technical aspects like story and character, no one would care if the worldbuilding was bad.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

BrianWilly posted:

To be honest, I always thought that review got way too nitpicky near the latter half. So what if Bright's internal history doesn't make much sense? I think all the guns and mature content and modern setting kinda obscure the fact that this is still a fake world. The video itself points out that this is an alternate universe; it doesn't need to pass social studies to be interesting. You don't always need immaculate, uncontestable worldbuilding, and in this case it likely wouldn't have helped Bright anyway.

Putting it another way: if Bright had succeeded in its other technical aspects like story and character, no one would care if the worldbuilding was bad.

Well, the argument is that Bright as a story is so focused on the idea of racial tension and policing, that it seems to imply that the fantasy elements are an allegory for that. And to address that story you need that these issues be embedded in a history that makes sense. *Allegorical sense*. It needs to be methodical. Layered. Complex even...

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 1, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The MSJ posted:

Max Landis was salty that "his Star Wars" was rewritten by Ayer. I wonder why a script about racism among cops in LA written by a rich white guy who got to ride on Space Mountain by himself when he was 10 because his father is a famous director had to be rewritten by a guy from LA who is known for writing movies about cops and race issues.

Someone with archives should look up the Drunk Comic Book History: The Robins thread because I’m pretty sure that was Max posting here. Could have been one of his friends from the videos, but I remember at the time just thinking he was just some college kid.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The MSJ posted:

Weirdly, the Ayer version of the script is arguably a lot worse than the Landis version.

I appreciate that Lindsey went back to the original script so point out that a lot of the movie's structural problems stem from Ayer rewrites. The original Bright script still had all the elemental racism problems of the finished movie, but it at least had a story structure that, while cliche, followed from A to B to C in an understandable manner. Ayer made structural changes to the script in adapting it to the film without seeming to understand the ramification those changes would have on the film: for example, in the original script, the childlike elf girl is a literal seven or eight year old child. Ayer aged her up, but didn't fundamentally change her actions or insert any additional dialogue, which is why in the film she comes across as a weird infantilized cypher who does nothing and pretends not to speak any english for most of the runtime.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Who was responsible for 'fairy lives don't matter today?'

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think Smith ad-libbed that, so ultimately the director is responsible for keeping it in

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Who was responsible for 'fairy lives don't matter today?'

That's Ayers. Also the part where he complains about his neighbors being "gangsta", even though they are clearly listening to human rap and not orc metal.

So I guess white/black human racism also exists within the world of Bright.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That's Ayers. Also the part where he complains about his neighbors being "gangsta", even though they are clearly listening to human rap and not orc metal.

So I guess white/black human racism also exists within the world of Bright.

You know I'd never thought I'd see one of the main setting problems with Shadowrun in a movie.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Like, I'm not saying that human racism and orc racism can't both exist because human beings are infinitely flexible in their awfulness, but you can't use one as an allegory for the other while the thing that's being allegorized is also on screen staring at us, because it fucks up the force of the allegory by reminding you of how much worse the reality is.

It'd be as if Who Framed Roger Rabbit stopped the narrative dead in its tracks to go visit some actual minority neighborhoods being bulldozed, while Toons capered and dancer past White Only water fountains.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 1, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It also couldn't seem to decide on what Orc Cop was supposed to be.

At different times in the movie he's perfectly competent, child-like in his understanding, or fish out of water naive (which makes no sense because orcs aren't new to the world.)

It's like they iterated on his character a few times while writing it and kept them all.

ndor
Jan 17, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Honestly all I'm getting is that Bright would be a forgettable movie but everyone needs to have A Take on it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1266736445911252993

Straight from the source as it were, but apparently it was Deadpool and not Guardians.

"soulful drama," I kinda doubt that

but from contemporaneous reports, it was apparently a combination of things: BvS backlash, the success of more comedic superhero movies (whether Deadpool or Guardians or both, doesn't really matter), and positive reception to the January 2016 trailer, which had a much lighter tone than the SDCC trailer

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

How did the Jan 2016 trailer even come about?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Fangz posted:

How did the Jan 2016 trailer even come about?
Pretty normally.

Movie trailers are cut by marketing and advertising companies, from footage supplied by the directors, because trailers are, functionally, just another kind of commercial. Directors usually get veto power over trailers before they go out. There's an ongoing, back and forth process; it's not unusual for dialogue to be recorded solely for the trailer to express succinctly in a few seconds what is part of a longer scene on screen.

What's unusual about SS wasn't the trailer, it's that after the trailer was produced, WB quietly hired Trailer Park, the dedicated move marketing company that produced the trailer, to do a cut of the film to deliver to test audiences, and ordered reshoots to make the movie more like the Trailer Park cut.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ndor posted:

Honestly all I'm getting is that Bright would be a forgettable movie but everyone needs to have A Take on it.

Well we tried that with Justice League and look where it got everyone

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't really pay attention when I rewatched it but I seem to recall the reshoots being really obvious because some of the cast didn't make it back so there's quite a few obvious stand ins.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Pretty normally.

Movie trailers are cut by marketing and advertising companies, from footage supplied by the directors, because trailers are, functionally, just another kind of commercial. Directors usually get veto power over trailers before they go out. There's an ongoing, back and forth process; it's not unusual for dialogue to be recorded solely for the trailer to express succinctly in a few seconds what is part of a longer scene on screen.

What's unusual about SS wasn't the trailer, it's that after the trailer was produced, WB quietly hired Trailer Park, the dedicated move marketing company that produced the trailer, to do a cut of the film to deliver to test audiences, and ordered reshoots to make the movie more like the Trailer Park cut.

I mean, it seems strange for Ayer to allow that trailer if it didn't match the tone of his movie.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Fangz posted:

I mean, it seems strange for Ayer to allow that trailer if it didn't match the tone of his movie.

Not really. It is incredibly common for trailers not to match the tone of the movie, or for there to be multiple commercials intended for multiple markets that play up different aspects of the movie for different audiences.

And of course, directors don't always get veto over trailers. It depends on the contract.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 1, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fangz posted:

He has no say.

On a big superhero project like that they're not going to let the director have last call on anything.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Every time Ayer talks about his version I get less interested. Darker, edgier, more Joker. That Joker fuckin sucked and everything else is just the buzzword code for "it's gonna be a bad Batman movie again sorry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

ndor posted:

No, it really was bafflingly tone deaf, awful, and poorly executed.