Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Our little gremlin had his 2 week checkup and apparently isn't getting fat enough for the doctor despite eating seemingly all the time. My wife is already back at her pre-pregnancy weight and from what I'm reading that might be part of the problem if she isn't eating enough calories?

Are there any good resources for breastfeeding/ mom diet that aren't preachy propoganda for the organic food stores? Everywhere we've looked has just been a pile of garbage shaming people who eat normal food.

Also the little dude has learned that when he needs a diaper change I'm gonna be the one to do it so he starts staring at me guiltily and then when I get up or acknowledge him he hides his face to not get taken to the changing table. It's cute and hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
My baby is 4 months old and they’re still telling us she isn’t fat enough. She’s in the 6th percentile for weight. She’s super healthy, happy and she eats.

It’s hard to gauge what you should be worried about and what you shouldn’t worry about. Don’t stress too much over it. In my opinion, just do what the doctor’s ask of you and try to reassure your wife.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

My baby is 4 months old and they’re still telling us she isn’t fat enough. She’s in the 6th percentile for weight. She’s super healthy, happy and she eats.

It’s hard to gauge what you should be worried about and what you shouldn’t worry about. Don’t stress too much over it. In my opinion, just do what the doctor’s ask of you and try to reassure your wife.

They're telling us to pump extra and try and give him ~8-10 extra ounces a day on top of what he normally eats, but he drinks her dry every feeding so there's no extra to pump. And he won't sleep for more than 30-40m in the crib before he pees himself, wakes up and is hungry again.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

L0cke17 posted:

They're telling us to pump extra and try and give him ~8-10 extra ounces a day on top of what he normally eats, but he drinks her dry every feeding so there's no extra to pump. And he won't sleep for more than 30-40m in the crib before he pees himself, wakes up and is hungry again.

I feel for you both. I had low milk supply, too. We ended up supplementing with formula, especially at night. It allowed one of us to get some rest while the other person fed the baby and changed them. I’m not sure how you both feel about formula, but honestly, it helped us so much.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

L0cke17 posted:

Sounds like formula or donated milk is in the future. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with supplementing. In retrospect I wish I had given my baby supplements, I think it would have helped all of us.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

She can try higher calorie higher fat food? When I was losing weight real fast postpartum I added in peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. Helped me make more and fattier milk imo. I craved fats like mad then too.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

L0cke17 posted:

Pumping extra may help increase her supply even if there’s not much there.
If not, domperidone worked really well for us. Baby went from refusing breastfeeding at all to now going strong 6 months and counting.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Thank you for all the advice! The low fat in her diet seems very plausible to us, because we basically eat very low fat most meals, especially recently since we're not going to the store for fresh meat every few days due to the roni. Gonna start there and then talk to the pediatrician again Monday. And pick up more formula just in case.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Just dropping in to say that for people that haven't heard yet we have a fairly active FB parenting and pregnancy group full of goons if you want to join.

We are pretty laid back but we aren't cool with antivaxxers, people who spank/hit their kids as punishment, and we are a progressive group. If you want to join send me a friend request on FB (me: https://www.facebook.com/sherirohde )
As since it's a private group you have to be added by someone in there and you can't search for it. You can unfriend me after getting added if you want :)

sheri fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 3, 2020

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I somewhat recently joined said FB group and it's good people.

Sending love to you all in the newborn months. This is hard work and you are doing great, I promise!!!

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
We took an online infant/child CPR course over the weekend and they have a promo right now where it’s only $10 CAD. I get nothing out of sharing this link except knowing it might help someone in the case of an emergency in the future.

It’s non-certified but if you just want the information for your own bank of knowledge it was a great resource. It’s a 60 minute online class and they offer quite a few time slots each week (but they’re in Calgary so check the time difference).

https://www.bumpandbabymatters.com/onlineinfantandchildcprclass

Code is PREPAREDPARENT90 to get 90% off the cost

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Just sent you a request!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Definitely take infant CPR! I had to use it on my baby was she was 2 months old. I was so thankful to have known what to do.

Rufflebutt
Jun 9, 2016

Fallen Rib
Sheri I just sent you a friend request as well.

At 38 weeks and 4 days, so ready and so very much not ready at the same time, lol.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Sheri I also sent a request

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the correct way to find local facebook/email groups etc

Here in SF area there's 5-10 very large groups, but they all look like militant political organizations that require volunteer time etc. I feel like these are the groups with the crazy parents that we want to avoid if possible.

Mainly looking for peditrician reccomendations, maybe some parents in our neighborhood to meet up with at the park for playdates etc babysitter reccomendations etc

I think normally you meet these people and get this info in doctors waiting rooms, prenatal yoga etc but with social distancing all that "natural" networking is kind of not happening. Feeling pretty isolated despite being in a fairly young part of our city with a healthy proportion of babies and young families.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Go to the park, take some classes, and you'll meet cool parents eventually.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Wrong thread

femcastra fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 4, 2020

BlueCat
Nov 3, 2005
I Demand Satisfaction!
Sent a request too

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Just sent a friend request!

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

I had my 20-week ultrasound on Friday and found out that I have an SUA/two-vessel umbilical cord. The doctor said the baby looks totally fine otherwise so it’s probably nothing to worry about (and the NIPT came back clear), but I have to get an ultrasound every month just in case.

Anyone else have this? Mostly just looking to be reassured, hah.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

A friend of mine had that with her son, but he was 100% totally fine and normal. Kid is four now.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’m feeling extremely bummed that my husband won’t be able to come to my first appointment with me in a few days due to the virus. I get extremely anxious going to the doctor and I was hoping he would be able to be there for moral support. I totally understand why, it just sucks :( I am definitely super emotional about stuff already. I am excited to have a baby, but the whole being pregnant and giving birth part is really going to suck.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, my wife is 12 weeks right now. I had to watch the ultrasound over facetime while I sat in the parking lot. At least I could go into the waiting room that time, but it sucked that the first time I saw our first kid it's that way. Our next appointment will be a 3D ultrasound at a bigger hospital, and I can't even enter the building for that one.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
That’s really rough. I hope that covid goes away soon so dads/partners can be more involved in the process. Urgh I can’t imagine giving birth without my husband there.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I'm grateful that the hospital I'm planning to give birth at is allowing my husband and a doula to be present. We're interviewing doulas this week, we've had one interview so far and I'm already glad we're going to get one. It's such a relief knowing that we'll have someone on hand who can keep us from running around like chickens with our heads cut off when it's go time. I've been feeling very nervous about labor since I'm a Type A planner person who gets really stressed about not knowing what's coming. But the doula we spoke to this morning discussed labor in such a way that was really clarifying and made me feel more confident about being able to handle it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

KasioDiscoRock posted:

We took an online infant/child CPR course over the weekend and they have a promo right now where it’s only $10 CAD. I get nothing out of sharing this link except knowing it might help someone in the case of an emergency in the future.

It’s non-certified but if you just want the information for your own bank of knowledge it was a great resource. It’s a 60 minute online class and they offer quite a few time slots each week (but they’re in Calgary so check the time difference).

https://www.bumpandbabymatters.com/onlineinfantandchildcprclass

Code is PREPAREDPARENT90 to get 90% off the cost

Thanks. Signed up for this.

And yeah COVID is kinda sucking for not being able to go to my partner's appointments. I think she's pretty ok on her own - she specializes in pregnancy massage in her massage practice, and is kind of a pregnancy and birth nerd. But it's still leaving me feeling a little disengaged.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
First night with the baby at home. Been a fun night of "oh you think I was gonna sleep psycheeee"

The whole birthing process with covid restrictions was less weird than we expected. My wife had to get a covid test 3 days before she was going to be induced (baby came through day before that). I just had to get screened each day at the hospital.

Everyone was super reassuring about everything and the screeners were old grannies so I got parenting tips from them. The only reminder of covid was having to remember to put masks on whenever someone came into the room

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
So glad to hear the COVID stuff wasn't too intrusive, and congrats on your new baby!! How was the birth experience if you feel comfortable sharing?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Out kid, now almost 4 weeks old, is still too skinny according to the doctor, but his weight gain rate was twice what it was 2 weeks ago. So that's nice. We've been having a super hard time getting him to keep eating though. He just passes out during feeding with a lot of regularity.

We've tried tickling and poking him. We've tried the cold water/ice to wake him up. The only thing that works at all is taking him away from mom and laying him down in the crib or bassinet, but that is inconsistent at best.

We're still looking for better ways to keep him up long enough to get to the hind milk so he will continue growing appropriately. Any tips on this?

He also had his longest uninterrupted sleep.ever last night, just over 3 hours!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Carotid posted:

So glad to hear the COVID stuff wasn't too intrusive, and congrats on your new baby!! How was the birth experience if you feel comfortable sharing?
Looking back, feels like a blur. Pre-active labor, it seemed like a lot of trying to remember to put masks back on when someone entered the room. When it came time to push, they let my wife take her mask off to help with breathing. It was actually nice having so few people in the room.

Post delivery, we both had a feeling of "it sucks family cant be here to visit but also it's kinda nice having so much 1 on 1 time with the kid"

For sure would rather have a kid not during a pandemic, but it still went very well :)

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

We're still looking for better ways to keep him up long enough to get to the hind milk so he will continue growing appropriately. Any tips on this?

Honestly, pumping in the interim and getting him checked for tongue and lip ties by an expert.

I had the same issue with foremilk and hindmilk, my son was a calf-sized monster at birth but he stopped putting on weight anyway. He had a tongue and lip tie which the lactation consultants/nurses deemed to be only marginally affecting him, and they released his tongue tie at 2 weeks but it didn't help. I ended up having to pump exclusively because he could never feed properly no matter what we did. Pumping got him putting on weight like a champ again and he has sat at the 91st percentile ever since.

Then we moved to a new city where our new doctor was coincidentally a paediatrician and tongue tie expert - turns out the nurses had not fully released my son's tongue tie, and his lip tie was more serious than they thought (the tie extends to between his front teeth and we struggle to get him to reflect his lip when tooth brushing). We'll probably get the lip tie released when he's old enough to take the anaesthetic shot and procedure without struggling too much.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

L0cke17 posted:

Out kid, now almost 4 weeks old, is still too skinny according to the doctor, but his weight gain rate was twice what it was 2 weeks ago. So that's nice. We've been having a super hard time getting him to keep eating though. He just passes out during feeding with a lot of regularity.

We've tried tickling and poking him. We've tried the cold water/ice to wake him up. The only thing that works at all is taking him away from mom and laying him down in the crib or bassinet, but that is inconsistent at best.

So I’m kind of a Jack Newman fangirl because his clinic helped me with both of my kids when it came to breastfeeding. His whole thing is that slow milk flow puts babies to sleep, so in order to keep them awake long enough to eat, you need to increase flow. There are supplements etc that can help that, pumping to increase supply can help, but long story short, domperidone is (as far as I’m concerned) the only reason I’m able to breastfeed my youngest. He wasn’t even just falling asleep, he was refusing the breast completely, so it’s a pretty big win.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

L0cke17 posted:

In the hospital when she would fall asleep while eating a nurse told me to lightly blow air onto her nose. It worked for us and we did that until she was a few weeks older and stopped falling asleep while eating.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Yay, my husband was able to attend my first appointment, and I’m so glad. He started tearing up during the ultrasound. It definitely feels more real now in the best way :) The little dude was waving its tiny hand around, so cute!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, just got the call from the doctors that everything is okay and we're having a girl! Time to do an Instagram post I guess.

Poor thing's due date is December 22nd. She's going to get so shafted for gifts.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

IUG posted:

Alright, just got the call from the doctors that everything is okay and we're having a girl! Time to do an Instagram post I guess.

Poor thing's due date is December 22nd. She's going to get so shafted for gifts.

That’s awesome, congrats! My mom’s birthday is three days after Christmas and she hates that. Extra presents may be required!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Well, I guess I definitely look pregnant now. I walked to the liquor store with my husband and the cashier asked if I was carrying twins. I guess she thought I looked too big for 5 months.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
YYYEEESSSS I finally got my first period, 14 months postpartum. We want to start trying for baby two next month, and I was seriously stressed out that my period would never come back. Time to whip out the LH strips and get Glow back on my phone! Hopefully in a few months I can report back with good news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I have more newborn sleeping questions. We finally managed to figure out that what our 4 week old kid wants is not actually contact with a person, but to not have a transition from warm body during feeding to cold mattress. When we lay him down where one of us was sitting or laying down and the surface is already warm he will fall asleep and stay asleep for hours, but this is difficult and annoying to do with his crib and bassinet. Any suggestions on how to keep his crib warm enough he will not be startled awake by the cold as he transitions?