Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

beanieson posted:

Didn’t we see explicitly in like season 2 that rick and morty left behind their original reality after everyone got turned into horrible cronenberg mutants?

Yeah, I mean, neither Beth in this episode is Rick's actual daughter anyway. I'm pretty sure the Rick who is her real father is dead in their current universe.

What's interesting is that they prop up multiverse theory, but we've never seen an alternate universe where Rick has a different family. Odds are there are many universes where he had a son instead, or kids at a different time, no kids at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Mantis42 posted:

It didn't look like WTC
Lol, I don't think you'd pass a vought-kampff

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, I mean, neither Beth in this episode is Rick's actual daughter anyway. I'm pretty sure the Rick who is her real father is dead in their current universe.

What's interesting is that they prop up multiverse theory, but we've never seen an alternate universe where Rick has a different family. Odds are there are many universes where he had a son instead, or kids at a different time, no kids at all.

Doofus Rick didn't have any kids, and there are timelines where Beth divorces and marries Paul Fleischman. Interdimensional Cable kind of went into it, and every universe that Rick's device probed had a Beth and Jerry, but a lot of them lacked Summer. I think it can be inferred that every Rick who had a kid had Beth, and every Beth who wound up with Jerry had Morty and Summer. Alternate kids may or may not exist, but all the Beths, Morties and Summers are the same age.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

It would be way more in character for a horrible intergalactic nano-virus to come and try and consume the Milky Way and everyone begs Rick to save them and he reluctantly does and they all love him and then we find out he made the nano-virus in the first place.

This, but halfway through the episode everyone finds out he made the nanovirus and then they fix it without him and everyone ends up hating him even more.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

sticklefifer posted:

Tales from the Citadel has the Simple Rick's commercial where they mention a "central finite curve". I'm assuming that this is describing a set of multiverses where each one is very similar to the one next to it but they get more and more different as you move out. Maybe there are other citadels out there that cater to other, different, configurations of Ricks and Mortys, or maybe there are even ones that are Ricks and Summers. The reason why what we see is so similar to the main character's situation is because Rick's portal gun sticks near this set of universes.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Excellent "Real Genius" reference. :c00l:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Don't Jerry and Beth only end up together because Jerry got her pregant with Summer?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cojawfee posted:

Tales from the Citadel has the Simple Rick's commercial where they mention a "central finite curve". I'm assuming that this is describing a set of multiverses where each one is very similar to the one next to it but they get more and more different as you move out. Maybe there are other citadels out there that cater to other, different, configurations of Ricks and Mortys, or maybe there are even ones that are Ricks and Summers. The reason why what we see is so similar to the main character's situation is because Rick's portal gun sticks near this set of universes.

Yeah, true. Though I can see an alternate universe story where Rick's son marries a loser woman, has an older grandson and younger granddaughter, and then Rick has to explain to Morty why he can't bang the hot girl alternate version of himself.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Weird that we didn't see a female Morty at the citadel. You'd think with a million permutations of a 50/50 coinflip at least one would land on xx.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Clearly 6 more seasons won't be enough.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Weird that we didn't see a female Morty at the citadel. You'd think with a million permutations of a 50/50 coinflip at least one would land on xx.

Rickshank Rickdemption features a pair of twin Morty's, one female, riffing off the Pines Twins from Gravity Falls.

There are two female Morty's in the Pocket Mortys, the above as "Girl Morty" and a second as Morticia Smith.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Rick is Corwyn, C-137 is amber, Morty is the unicorn.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
If Rick can create perfect clones at will, I wonder how many times he's done so to replace dead Mortys.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I imagine most girl Mortys stay the hell away from the boy Mortys if possible.

Lazyhound posted:

If Rick can create perfect clones at will, I wonder how many times he's done so to replace dead Mortys.

Almost as many times as the Venture Bros?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Calling it out now, first episode of season 5 (to be released year 2025) will have Beth and Clone Beth merging/doing the fusion dance and that will be the end of that storyline

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Somewhere out there there's still Goddess Beth and her clone Jerry worshippers.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm metaphysically certain the bit with the planet destroyer came about because Wrangler had a bunch of provisions, one of which must have been "The product cannot be damaged or destroyed in any way."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm metaphysically certain the bit with the planet destroyer came about because Wrangler had a bunch of provisions, one of which must have been "The product cannot be damaged or destroyed in any way."

It does go really well with the theme of the Galactic Federation being barely disguised end-stage capitalism.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The jeans jokes were some of my favorite in the episode, but still not enough to take the title of funniest pants-related promotional tie-in in an adult cartoon show away from Frisky Dingo and Haggar pants.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This was the most invader zim episode and it owned

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Also a nice little nod to the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I typically watch every episode twice, first as a fan and 2nd as a Fan, but I'm about to hit my 4th on this one and I'm still excited, I love this episode. Rick's face when he realizes he has to "do a Star Wars" is so funny oh my god.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ror posted:

The jeans jokes were some of my favorite in the episode, but still not enough to take the title of funniest pants-related promotional tie-in in an adult cartoon show away from Frisky Dingo and Haggar pants.

Those are some big pants.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

lezard_valeth posted:

Calling it out now, first episode of season 5 (to be released year 2025) will have Beth and Clone Beth merging/doing the fusion dance and that will be the end of that storyline

None space beth might still have the "bomb" in her neck. Something could end up accidentally triggering it and then space Beth has to settle down into regular life again, possibly without letting the rest of the family now the other Beth exploded. They'll just assume space Beth is off having adventures when she's there the whole time... until they find out.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Almost as many times as the Venture Bros?

While I would like to see a super-cut of a plot-conveniently immobilized Rick (like Dr. Venture) talking to Beth (distraught over her son's death, like Dr. Orpheus) and Summer (who is as nonchalant as Rick, like Brock Sampson) about why it's OK that Morty died, followed by the set-up to the super-cut of death scenes ("We've been through this, how many times, Summer?" "This'll be 42." "Forty-two times...."), I don't think it'd have quite the impact of the Venture Bros. death scene supercut.

Of course, then maybe they'd do a VB-style callback every now and then, when you see the zombie boys in Doc's head, reflecting the ways they've died over the years, which could be fun, but is unnecessary in R&M's world.

Ha. Or finding shrunken Morty's skeleton in a shrunken submarine that's causing a clot in Jerry's brain. "Hmmm. So that's what happened to C-1347-A." Living Morty says, "Oh man, I Fantastic Voyaged myself?" Summer: "More like Innerspaced, really, because you ran out of air and didn't go back to full size." Rick: "Stop it, this is clearly a Venture Bros. [pronounced "bros"] reference. We gotta throw their fans a bone while the show's in its 3-years-between-seasons hibernation. C'mon, let's save your idiot."

OK, I gotta stop now.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 2, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Crossover stuff with R&M is best avoided, but I do like that one comic where Stanford Pines is friends with Rick, who shows him an alt universe where he didn't end up seperated from his brother, and also the idea that Rick thinks Zim is adorable.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SirSamVimes posted:

How the gently caress did the 9/11 into Pearl Harbour bit not make you laugh?

He knew someone in the planes

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Good show good season they need to hire a few more voice actors because Dan always sounds the exact same.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Applewhite posted:

Also a nice little nod to the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds.

What was this?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

What was this?

In the Tom Cruise WotW, the alien heat beam swept over the fleeing crowds. The people caught in the beam turned to dust and left their clothes fluttering to the ground.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
https://youtu.be/6CkoNFUpoo8

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

alternatively, he's done this same shell game so many times he doesn't know if a real beth still exists

it was a nice touch that he programmed the computer to do the shell game patter of "keep your eye on the lady"

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Super mediocre episode to end the season but not every episode can be story train / face hugger / vat of acid

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
I enjoyed the hell out of that finale.

I wonder if they'll get both Beths to help Rick take on Evil Morty, after a good old redemption arc and father daughter bonding.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ExParrot posted:

I enjoyed the hell out of that finale.

I wonder if they'll get both Beths to help Rick take on Evil Morty, after a good old redemption arc and father daughter bonding.

I guess we'll find out in a year and half ... or longer

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

jokes posted:

Good show good season they need to hire a few more voice actors because Dan always sounds the exact same.

He seemed to be doing alot more characters in this back 5.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Crossover stuff with R&M is best avoided, but I do like that one comic where Stanford Pines is friends with Rick, who shows him an alt universe where he didn't end up seperated from his brother, and also the idea that Rick thinks Zim is adorable.

I figure Rick would react to Zim the exact same way he reacted to that one robo snake in Rattlestar Ricklactica:

"Whoa, hey, look. That one's actually really cool. Come here, little guy." :3:

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I've mostly caught random episodes of Rick and Morty here and there, and I've found it to be good, but certainly haven't gone out of my way to watch it or look for episodes on demand. Found out that I have HBO Max now....and I decided to start from episode one....and I am way more into it. I am finding the earlier episodes to be quite a bit better than some of the later episodes. The chemistry between Rick and Morty seems way better. The psychotic ranting at the end of the first episode about how they were going to go on adventure after adventure as Morty was sprawled out on the ground had me laughing out loud. And I had heard clips of Scary Terry, but never saw the episode. Brilliant.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

This was the best Jerry episode in a long time. Everything he did was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I figure Rick would react to Zim the exact same way he reacted to that one robo snake in Rattlestar Ricklactica:

"Whoa, hey, look. That one's actually really cool. Come here, little guy." :3:

Wanna see Membrane vs Rick