Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Ash vs Evil Dead's 30 minute runtime keeps it moving real quick. I burned through a rewatch of it a few weeks ago in a matter of days and I wasn't even trying. I just meant for it to be a show I watched in bits between other stuff and next thing I knew I was finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Only three episodes in but I know this for sure: Babylon Berlin's title sequence is an all time great one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nate fisher posted:

Actually it is the most ‘rapey’ show I have I ever watched (before that? Oz maybe?). I just had this discussion with my wife (who is a fan of the books) during the last season about how the show averages a rape per season. We debated if the author has a rape fetish or if it is just a lazy way for her to show how brutal that world is. I don’t mind the show outside of that, but I can’t watch rape at all (man to man is bad, but it doesn’t affect me the way when I see a man raping woman. I can’t watch it at all). There was some backlash a few years ago against the show because of this, but all they have done is to put up a warning on the show (plus hotline number).

I'm not sure I would go as far as "fetish" but Gabaldon has a real thing for kind of dickish male characters getting punitively/correctively raped and then suddenly turning into sympathetic romantic heroes.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I know most people really liked it, but I couldn't get through The Good Place. The first season was ok, but I didn't care at all about anything going on after that. Quit in season 3. The Eleanor/Chidi thing was not interesting at all, I have never been a fan of Ted Danson either. I might actually watch a show of Jameela Jamil twirling around in pretty dresses though.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
With one minor plot point change, the Outer Banks could occur in any location only accessible by ferry. I'm not familiar with the area so I don't notice the inaccuracy. Just pretend it's Outer Banks, New Jersey.

I was iffy on the first episode because of some ADR "let's recap" shenanigans, but past that I thought that the show avoided the trap that most of these shows do where characters act irrationally because the plot demands it.

Edit: I want more people to watch so I can talk about it. The only real error the kids made was not being ruthless enough with murdergranny. You guys have great leverage over her. "We sent one girl home. Put down the gun, go upstairs and shut the gently caress up." If we don't come home tomorrow she goes to the cops about the well.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 27, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AngryBooch posted:

Only three episodes in but I know this for sure: Babylon Berlin's title sequence is an all time great one.

The entire show is excellent.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mike the TV posted:

As someone who has lived on the Outer Banks, it's absolutely fascinating that every single detail about the area is wrong. I guarantee it was written by people that have never left California.

I doubt they ever left their couch.

MightyJoe36 posted:

Do you have Amazon Prime? They have it.

HBO Cinemax pulled their content from Prime.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I just finished my run-through of Community after never seeing it before. It started very strong. I have to admit that I did skip all of the animated episodes. Even though the show tries to say that season 4 sucks, the worst episode was probably season 3's Pillows and Blankets. It's weird that that episode fell so flat because just a few episodes later Basic Lupine Urology shows that they actually can do a successful episode length genre parody when making fun of Law and Order. Definitely lost the magic at some point in the last few seasons, and the finale didn't stick for me. As a thought, the finale could have been more of the dark timeline stuff - they could have shown the other 5 universes and how things were different by then. Alternatively, they should have stopped the show when Troy left.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

With one minor plot point change, the Outer Banks could occur in any location only accessible by ferry. I'm not familiar with the area so I don't notice the inaccuracy. Just pretend it's Outer Banks, New Jersey.

I was iffy on the first episode because of some ADR "let's recap" shenanigans, but past that I thought that the show avoided the trap that most of these shows do where characters act irrationally because the plot demands it.

Edit: I want more people to watch so I can talk about it. The only real error the kids made was not being ruthless enough with murdergranny. You guys have great leverage over her. "We sent one girl home. Put down the gun, go upstairs and shut the gently caress up." If we don't come home tomorrow she goes to the cops about the well.

I didn't pay too much attention to the plot and setting, I just enjoyed it for the funny character interactions & Goonies nostalgia-feels. I know it comes across as cheesey and overdone to some, but I'm a sucker for shows that start out with some light punchy music and one of the characters voicing over an introduction to who's who over a montage of them all messing about and bantering and getting caught doing general mischief. I thought the last couple episodes or so raised the stakes a little too high for the tone of show they were going for and it became a bit tiring to watch but I'll definitely be jumping on a season 2 if it gets one.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Mike the TV posted:

I just finished my run-through of Community after never seeing it before. It started very strong. I have to admit that I did skip all of the animated episodes. Even though the show tries to say that season 4 sucks, the worst episode was probably season 3's Pillows and Blankets. It's weird that that episode fell so flat because just a few episodes later Basic Lupine Urology shows that they actually can do a successful episode length genre parody when making fun of Law and Order. Definitely lost the magic at some point in the last few seasons, and the finale didn't stick for me. As a thought, the finale could have been more of the dark timeline stuff - they could have shown the other 5 universes and how things were different by then. Alternatively, they should have stopped the show when Troy left.

Same here, but I'm still halfway through S4. Hard disagree on the worst episode, that was 100% the S4 puppet episode. Only one so far that I just turned off half way through because it was so terrible.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Ash vs Evil Dead's 30 minute runtime keeps it moving real quick. I burned through a rewatch of it a few weeks ago in a matter of days and I wasn't even trying. I just meant for it to be a show I watched in bits between other stuff and next thing I knew I was finished.

I agree. I usually as a rule hate horror comedy. Something about the Evil Dead series I always seem to enjoy though. The TV show is really good. It is obviously zany and goofy but it can also have some pretty compelling moments.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ramy season 2 is pretty good. Pretty cool that they got Mahershala Ali to do a Hulu show.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

grate deceiver posted:

Same here, but I'm still halfway through S4. Hard disagree on the worst episode, that was 100% the S4 puppet episode. Only one so far that I just turned off half way through because it was so terrible.

Both are in the "should have been a 30 second gag, but was stretched into a 22 minute episode" category so I see where you're coming from

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

calandryll posted:

Ash vs. Evil Dead is a great show and should be on Starz. Everyone needs more Ash in their lives.

This show ruled. I wish it would have continued....but I felt like it had a decent ending.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Mike the TV posted:

I rewatched the entire series a couple of months ago. Definitely dipped in quality when Troy and Pierce left.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, the only reason Abed's character worked was because he had Troy to kinda be the voice of reason, but still indulge in Abed's fantasies, so he was a great "middle-man" character to help bridge the meta commentary character to the other characters. Once Troy was gone it was just people rolling their eyes at Abed instead of Donald Glover absolutely nailing comedic timing and expressions and it made Abed more of a chore to watch instead of a highlight.

Just my opinion.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, the only reason Abed's character worked was because he had Troy to kinda be the voice of reason, but still indulge in Abed's fantasies, so he was a great "middle-man" character to help bridge the meta commentary character to the other characters. Once Troy was gone it was just people rolling their eyes at Abed instead of Donald Glover absolutely nailing comedic timing and expressions and it made Abed more of a chore to watch instead of a highlight.

Just my opinion.

This is a solid take. I agree.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Abed gets sadder and more annoying without Troy. I respected what they were doing with Jonathan Banks' character where he just didn't have the patience or interest to cater to Abed and kind of challenged him to be more considerate and adult. But it was way less fun and not exactly fulfilling growth. It fit the way the show just felt less funny in the last couple of seasons and more like "when you gonna move on like those other people did?"

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Yeah the last season or so felt like a different show with the same characters. It had some fantastic moments, but it didn't have the same sense of fun as the first 3. Rewatching S3 you can see it firing on all cylinders, and it's so enjoyable to watch.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I finished American Gods last night and wtf. I understnad they can't get through too much in 8 full hour episodes, otoh, the endings of S1 and S2 are such weird end points for a season unless they somehow had advanced knowledge of a renewal or an alt prepared for upload if there wasn't gonna be another season. I should probably re-read the book again since apparently, S1 and S2 are meant to parallel the first 2/3s of the book. Gaiman has also said he's already working on ideas with the current showrunner for S4 ideas? S2, at the very end also didn't feel like it was still a part of a supposed larger war and instead some sort of puppetmaster play by Wednesday to get Shadow Moon to ascend.

Also wtf is going on with the production when the original showrunners jump ship (they're still credited as EPs but that doesn't mean much) and the next showrunner is now also replaced.

pseudo edit: and looking through the tail end of the actual thread for the show, poo poo's gotten even more dire.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Started another rewatch of Deep Space 9, the first time since I saw the bulk of Babylon 5, so it's interesting to note the similarities. By the end of season 2 however I was already starting to remember entire episodes, so I now have it on as background noise. Still very much one of my favorite scifi shows, however, even if some characters/races can be a bit poo poo.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

I finished American Gods last night and wtf. I understnad they can't get through too much in 8 full hour episodes, otoh, the endings of S1 and S2 are such weird end points for a season unless they somehow had advanced knowledge of a renewal or an alt prepared for upload if there wasn't gonna be another season. I should probably re-read the book again since apparently, S1 and S2 are meant to parallel the first 2/3s of the book. Gaiman has also said he's already working on ideas with the current showrunner for S4 ideas? S2, at the very end also didn't feel like it was still a part of a supposed larger war and instead some sort of puppetmaster play by Wednesday to get Shadow Moon to ascend.

Also wtf is going on with the production when the original showrunners jump ship (they're still credited as EPs but that doesn't mean much) and the next showrunner is now also replaced.

pseudo edit: and looking through the tail end of the actual thread for the show, poo poo's gotten even more dire.

I cannot wait, in a few years, to read some longform expose about all the behind-the-scenes poo poo that went wrong with American Gods. One thing I do recall hearing is that Gaiman really did not like the direction that the season 1 ending took (it's not from the books), and that that's one of the reasons the original showrunners left/were asked to leave (unclear).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

showbiz_liz posted:

I cannot wait, in a few years, to read some longform expose about all the behind-the-scenes poo poo that went wrong with American Gods. One thing I do recall hearing is that Gaiman really did not like the direction that the season 1 ending took (it's not from the books), and that that's one of the reasons the original showrunners left/were asked to leave (unclear).

Like there was a bit with Shadow and the Native American person and presumably that was gonna be the start of a subplot addressing Native American deities and trans people, but it just sorta dangles there and does nothing. In a season where nothing of note really happens and is largely occupied by more backstory and scenery chewing, As someone of East Asian descent, I do sorta hope they address that like they brushed on the Hindu pantheon, but at this point I wouldn't hold my breath for them to do it, let alone with any delicacy.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I was really optimistic about American Gods, and I thought the first season was decent. In the second season Byan Fuller went full-on Bryan Fuller though, and the story completely stalled as every episode became another excuse to set up an edgy monologue in front of an arty backdrop. Fuller's great at visual imagery, but he really needs someone to aggressively keep him on task or he just crawls up his own rear end.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

I was really optimistic about American Gods, and I thought the first season was decent. In the second season Byan Fuller went full-on Bryan Fuller though, and the story completely stalled as every episode became another excuse to set up an edgy monologue in front of an arty backdrop. Fuller's great at visual imagery, but he really needs someone to aggressively keep him on task or he just crawls up his own rear end.

Fuller got fired before season 2 even started production.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Oh really? Interesting. I just assumed it was his influence since he basically did the same thing with Hannibal any time he wandered away from the books.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

The intro to american gods is pretty good though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh really? Interesting. I just assumed it was his influence since he basically did the same thing with Hannibal any time he wandered away from the books.

no

Pardot posted:

The intro to american gods is pretty good though.

yeah I love the intro. The music and the way they rendered the haze of the visuals with all the color is really interesting

and trying to guess what all the levels were, most were obvious but then there were pills and other stuff that probly represented gods we never got to see

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

American Gods season 2 was a show you WATCHED.

That was it. You just put your eyeballs on the screen that was all the satisfaction you were going to get.

It was gorgeous, but that's it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Trig Discipline posted:

and the story completely stalled as every episode became another excuse to set up an edgy monologue in front of an arty backdrop

And those monologues rarely had anything to do with the plot, or the scene, or anything

Some were actually good but then after like 5 minutes of talk I would go "yeah but... why are they even talking about that? what was that scene even about again?"

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Last week we finished our quick binge of Travelers, which was a fun cross between Quantum Leap and Person of Interest. Last night we finished Happy Endings, which we had been slowly savoring since March as a palate cleanser after watching heavier or more disappointing stuff. I'm very sad that both are over and that we'll never get to spend more time with Alex Kerkovich.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
We are in season 3 of Schitt's Creek because of this thread. I thought it was going to be middle of the road stuff going in, but I'm throwing this up into my top tier of shows so far. The character humor kills me. The entire cast really is in their characters. It's nice to see that.

As a sidenote, I also agree with people that liked AshvED. That show was great all the way through. It's just a fun ride.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

We are in season 3 of Schitt's Creek because of this thread. I thought it was going to be middle of the road stuff going in, but I'm throwing this up into my top tier of shows so far. The character humor kills me. The entire cast really is in their characters. It's nice to see that.

As a sidenote, I also agree with people that liked AshvED. That show was great all the way through. It's just a fun ride.

I have heard a lot of people say this, and I wanted to enjoy it, but there is no one I hate watching in media as much as I hate Chris Elliot. I tried a couple episodes with this show but unless someone can tell me his character gets booted quick, I don't think I can handle it.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Ishamael posted:

I have heard a lot of people say this, and I wanted to enjoy it, but there is no one I hate watching in media as much as I hate Chris Elliot. I tried a couple episodes with this show but unless someone can tell me his character gets booted quick, I don't think I can handle it.

He doesn't get booted but they do tone down his character.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

grate deceiver posted:

stop now...

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Main reason it took me so long to watch it myself was due to how eye rolling bad I have always found Chris Elliot. The show is great despite him and even great a few times because of him.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
He was fine in ‘There’s Something About Mary’ and ‘Groundhog Day’ which are the only two things I’ve seen him in, what’s so awful about him?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Torquemada posted:

He was fine in ‘There’s Something About Mary’ and ‘Groundhog Day’ which are the only two things I’ve seen him in, what’s so awful about him?

He just tends to do a lot of weird stuff that may be off-putting to some people. Not everyone's cup of tea.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Torquemada posted:

From me it goes back to when he worked on the Letterman show. I found him more annoying than funny (still do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Chris Elliot can be kind of Tom Green-ish at times