Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Another delight lately has been watching K-Pop Twitter take over terrible hashtags like 'WhiteLivesMatter.' Finally the fans of Twice and EXO are using their powers for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Bakeneko posted:

I think the reason for the shift in attitudes is that this time, it’s much more evident that the protesters and the rioters are different groups. Like, I would never approve of the kind of destruction we’ve seen with cars and shops and so on being wrecked, but there’s been so much evidence that the vast majority of that is being done by either the cops themselves, or agitators like those boogaloo idiots who want to pretend they’re in a “revolution”, or just opportunistic thieves taking advantage of the chaos.

Basically there’s no reason not to be sympathetic towards the protesters, unless you support police brutality.

Dunno if it's appropriate to point it out, but I've seen people have been laying the blame of rioting, looting, and 'revolutionary' attitude on Antifa.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also quite honestly if you care about the rioting, gently caress off. Just gently caress off. No one should care at all. Like Jesus Christ if you care about the rioting I'm sure you'd have been upset about the Warsaw Jews using guns against the Nazis, you miserable shitstain.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Also quite honestly if you care about the rioting, gently caress off. Just gently caress off.

No? People caring about the rear end in a top hat "Just here to break things" side of rioting is why there's charity pages being set up for things like the black owned local businesses that are also getting torn up by random shitheads.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Bakeneko posted:

I think the reason for the shift in attitudes is that this time, it’s much more evident that the protesters and the rioters are different groups. Like, I would never approve of the kind of destruction we’ve seen with cars and shops and so on being wrecked, but there’s been so much evidence that the vast majority of that is being done by either the cops themselves, or agitators like those boogaloo idiots who want to pretend they’re in a “revolution”, or just opportunistic thieves taking advantage of the chaos.

Basically there’s no reason not to be sympathetic towards the protesters, unless you support police brutality.

the rioters are a part of the protests, rioting is a valid form of protests especially since its clear that the police and government doesn’t respect or respond to peaceful protests

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Also quite honestly if you care about the rioting, gently caress off. Just gently caress off. No one should care at all. Like Jesus Christ if you care about the rioting I'm sure you'd have been upset about the Warsaw Jews using guns against the Nazis, you miserable shitstain.

While I'm content to watch people smash up the windows of a Nordstroms and loot overpriced clothing, I think it's a point of frustration for a lot of protestors. There was interview with a BLM organizer in Seattle the other night during one of the riots, and she was hoping for a peaceful protest.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Yardbomb posted:

No? People caring about the rioting is why there's charity pages being set up for things like the black owned local businesses that are also getting torn up by random shitheads.

i’m pretty sure you’re agreeing with them here

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

watho posted:

i’m pretty sure you’re agreeing with them here

Well I mean, it's completely fine and good to be like "Who cares if walmart gets smashed up, who could give a single poo poo" because they're a giant slave labor insured out the rear end mega company, but it's also fine at the same time to not like the kind of fuckers who are going out solely to be antisocial assholes and burn down the local ethiopian restaurant and tear up a homeless guy's poo poo.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

No? People caring about the rear end in a top hat "Just here to break things" side of rioting is why there's charity pages being set up for things like the black owned local businesses that are also getting torn up by random shitheads.
Yeah there are assholes here to take advantage of any chaos but that does not even remotely relate to the protests as a wholee. the incessant need of white people to bring it up every single time anyone discusses support of the protests is just showing their hand that they care more about the local Starbucks getting smashed up than systemic murder.

watho posted:

the rioters are a part of the protests, rioting is a valid form of protests especially since its clear that the police and government doesn’t respect or respond to peaceful protests
also just flatly decades now going on into centuries anything that doesn't damage capital will not get even the slightest amount of attention. Those in power genuinely care more about being cheated out of their portion twenty dollars on Floyd's counterfeit check that murder. So given that they are sociopaths who only understand violence one must make a negative association between murdering people and their money being hurt.

Yardbomb posted:

Well I mean, it's completely fine and good to be like "Who cares if walmart gets smashed up, who could give a single poo poo" because they're a giant slave labor insured out the rear end mega company, but it's also fine at the same time to not like the kind of fuckers who are going out solely to be antisocial assholes and burn down the local ethiopian restaurant and tear up a homeless guy's poo poo.
Yes and those guys aren't protestors at all and to constantly bring them up as something you need to disapprove of when supporting the protests is just playing into racist propaganda.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also the ones that are clearly cops in balaclavas casually sauntering along with a hammer smashing out windows as they walk by

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

also the ones that are clearly cops in balaclavas casually sauntering along with a hammer smashing out windows as they walk by

Or laying out conveniently placed piles of bricks like they think they're Wile E. Coyote.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
anyone saying that they'd love to support the protest but there's too much property damage/rude words/traffic disruption going on is full of poo poo, and they will always find an excuse until the protests become non disruptive enough to fade into the background of everyday life at which point they will just ignore them

focusing on some oppotunistic looters an unknown number of who may be cops is a waste of time in the face of a racist instituition that is currently flexing its muscles by attacking people in the streets to fight against being held accountable to any part of society

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 3, 2020

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Yeah there are assholes here to take advantage of any chaos but that does not even remotely relate to the protests as a whole.

Yes and those guys aren't protestors at all and to constantly bring them up as something you need to disapprove of when supporting the protests

Well yeah but who said that on the first one, people have been pretty clear on calling the assholes just out to be assholes just that, while disapproving of those jackasses trying to play "revolutionary" in the stupidest ways, lot of the time people are just talking about them as their own separate thing as they should, the protests aren't riots. Cause it's like two different topics often enough when these things are being talked about, there's the dumb assholes who aren't trying to have a good faith discussion whatsoever in the first place who respond to every single thing about the protests with "THE RIOTERRRRRSSSS", but that's not really what was being said, if anything there was like an aside where someone was differentiating the protesters from the idiots and then you said "Don't care about the riots or you probably would've said something about the jews fighting nazis" which is weird as hell when any time actual people and not stupid rear end in a top hat racists on twitter are talking about the "rioter" stuff specifically, it's usually more "Some assholes busted up this local black owner business and here's a thing that we're doing to try and help them out" which you should probably care about and or not liking them for coming into the peaceful protests and starting poo poo when the protesters don't want them there. Like I don't get it, I haven't seen much of the latter at all, people support the protests and then can also talk about the not protesting idiots trying to make things harder for people.

JustaDamnFool posted:

Focusing on some oppotunistic poo poo heads an unknown number of who may be cops is a waste of time in the face of a racist instituition that is currently flexing its muscles by attacking people in the streets to fight against being held accountable to any part of society

You can care about multiple things at the same time though. You can say blacklivesmatter and go to movements, while also not liking the smaller amount of bastards using unrest as a cover to be sociopaths.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 3, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Well yeah but who said that on the first one, people have been pretty clear on calling the assholes just out to be assholes just that, while disapproving of those jackasses trying to play "revolutionary" in the stupidest ways, lot of the time people are just talking about them as their own separate thing as they should, the protests aren't riots. Cause it's like two different topics often enough when these things are being talked about, there's the dumb assholes who aren't trying to have a good faith discussion whatsoever in the first place who respond to every single thing about the protests with "THE RIOTERRRRRSSSS", but that's not really what was being said, if anything there was like an aside where someone was differentiating the protesters from the idiots and then you said "Don't care about the riots or you probably would've said something about the jews fighting nazis" which is weird as hell when any time actual people and not stupid rear end in a top hat racists on twitter are talking about the "rioter" stuff specifically,
Like we've seen with plenty of the posts in this very thread people feeling the need to go "oh I don't support the riots, BUT" before their support of protesters. Why the gently caress should they feel that is necessary? Why anyone need clarification or care if they aren't deeply loving racist?

Yardbomb posted:

it's usually more "Some assholes busted up this local black owner business and here's a thing that we're doing to try and help them out" which you should probably care about and or not liking them for coming into the peaceful protests and starting poo poo when the protesters don't want them there.
It's really really not. The overwhelming majority of people popping off about "rioters" is white people mad about their Target getting broken into. Then being used as paper thin justification for the city governments implimenting collective punishments for poor people by suspending school lunches or just firing on people at a protest with rubber bullets.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Like we've seen with plenty of the posts in this very thread people feeling the need to go "oh I don't support the riots, BUT" before their support of protesters. Why the gently caress should they feel that is necessary? Why anyone need clarification or care if they aren't deeply loving racist?
It's really really not. The overwhelming majority of people popping off about "rioters" is white people mad about their Target getting broken into. Then being used as paper thin justification for the city governments implimenting collective punishments for poor people by suspending school lunches or just firing on people at a protest with rubber bullets.

I just haven't seen the former I guess or didn't read something like that, that's dumb of course in those cases because the protests obviously don't need any kind of qualifier to support, push for "Stop the government jackboots thrill killing black people" and the similar causes should be a given for anyone not a stupid dickhead, it's a shame if some people think or act like they do and like I said in those cases it sucks, at least for me clarification and possible over-explaining is just because I'm dumb and that's how I am on every topic.

The latter is also I guess thankfully just an exposure thing as well for me, I've tried very hard to nip sources of grief of douchiness out of my view early as I've gone and much moreso in recent times because they already weren't good even before everyone getting everyone sick and the government and their stooges deciding that even now they should be horrible, so a lot I've seen has thankfully just been the better cases I mentioned before of "Please support local marginalized people/People help this black family business that was damaged" and "Stay out of our protests if you're just showing up to start poo poo" type stuff. You're fine, I'm just so screwed up feeling lately that I can't help but pick apart even small things that get at me and then try and make sure that I'm explaining myself well enough.

Please read my book

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Because the media loves to confuse the two things, and unfortunately they’re tangled together in the minds of a lot of people. That’s the source of a lot of the backlash these kinds of protests always get.

Based on what I’ve read, though, it seems like journalists are doing a better job this time of focusing on the real culprits, including where police are picking fights with unarmed protesters. So a lot of public figures who wouldn’t want to risk being associated with rioters feel more comfortable expressing support for these protests. That’s just my speculation, though.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think the ongoing state of living in the US has hosed up a lot of us. Hell I only went off like that because of people I'm forced to interact with hemming and hawing over the protests at my job.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bakeneko posted:

Based on what I’ve read, though, it seems like journalists are doing a better job this time of focusing on the real culprits, including where police are picking fights with unarmed protesters. So a lot of public figures who wouldn’t want to risk being associated with rioters feel more comfortable expressing support for these protests. That’s just my speculation, though.

Like somebody else said, it turns out it helps if the revolution is televised.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 3, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

JustaDamnFool posted:

anyone saying that they'd love to support the protest but there's too much property damage/rude words/traffic disruption going on is full of poo poo, and they will always find an excuse until the protests become non disruptive enough to fade into the background of everyday life at which point they will just ignore them

focusing on some oppotunistic looters an unknown number of who may be cops is a waste of time in the face of a racist instituition that is currently flexing its muscles by attacking people in the streets to fight against being held accountable to any part of society

yeah it's pretty much the textbook way of distracting people from the core reasons for the unrest, preventing full-throated support.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z56j06plUgs

I already like the stuff this guy does normally (though he tends to be a bit tonedeaf about how to segue into his promotions)
But you know something is wrong when a youtube lawyer takes a side.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MLK tried that whole peaceful protest thing and they, the US government, assassinated him. Protestors are trying the whole peaceful thing but cops are tear gassing them and maiming them with "rubber" bullets. Or shoving them to the ground so hard they're getting concussions.

These pigs don't realize that they're lighting matches around powder kegs and gasoline.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Try to critically think about whether you know who these "looters" are, their stories and their circumstances, or whether you know solely the projected image of them that the media shows.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

DeafNote posted:

I already like the stuff this guy does normally (though he tends to be a bit tonedeaf about how to segue into his promotions)

Yeah, just watched it. Powerful video.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't think anyone else linked it but Dominic Griffon put out a video on Do the Right Thing and how it relates to now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DeafNote posted:

Just started watching but does he ever reflect on the video he had put out recently about how ridiculous it was to think that Trump could postpone or cancel the elections?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQLbNekBU1A

Edit: I don't think he does unless I missed it.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 3, 2020

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Jimbot posted:

MLK tried that whole peaceful protest thing and they, the US government, assassinated him. Protestors are trying the whole peaceful thing but cops are tear gassing them and maiming them with "rubber" bullets. Or shoving them to the ground so hard they're getting concussions.

These pigs don't realize that they're lighting matches around powder kegs and gasoline.

Is there a better term for rubber bullets that better highlights their danger? Making them sound like nerf darts is a pretty clever bit of marketing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Goon Boots posted:

Is there a better term for rubber bullets that better highlights their danger? Making them sound like nerf darts is a pretty clever bit of marketing.

Rubber slugs, makes them sound a lot more heavy as they actually are. Also remember to always highlight that they're "less-than-lethal" and not "non-lethal" as a lot of people have gotten tricked with.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Goon Boots posted:

Technically they're 'baton rounds', when you're talking about the 37mm grenade launcher version. As in a baton that you can fire at someone.

Most of the more/less correct names you can give them will still probably sound less-bad than they really are, honestly.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Yeah there are assholes here to take advantage of any chaos but that does not even remotely relate to the protests as a wholee. the incessant need of white people to bring it up every single time anyone discusses support of the protests is just showing their hand that they care more about the local Starbucks getting smashed up than systemic murder.

also just flatly decades now going on into centuries anything that doesn't damage capital will not get even the slightest amount of attention. Those in power genuinely care more about being cheated out of their portion twenty dollars on Floyd's counterfeit check that murder. So given that they are sociopaths who only understand violence one must make a negative association between murdering people and their money being hurt.

At this point I don't begrudge any looting or rioting, because of this. Even just in the past few years, there have been so many protests against police brutality that involved no looting, no rioting, no violence, and accomplished absolutely nothing.

Also ignoring the fact that you can watch dozens of livestreams and archived video, from just the last few days, of cops attacking protesters who were being entirely peaceful.

I'd like to say, "oh, it'd be better if the protests were nonviolent." But there have been a lot of nonviolent protests, and apparently they don't get anyone's attention like riots do. Plus you're still likely to get hit with tear gas either way.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Paingod556 posted:

Technically they're 'baton rounds', when you're talking about the 37mm grenade launcher version. As in a baton that you can fire at someone.

Most of the more/less correct names you can give them will still probably sound less-bad than they really are, honestly.

Also I believe you aren’t supposed to shoot them directly at people but bounce them off the ground at people which has stopped precisely no cop lately.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dawgstar posted:

Also I believe you aren’t supposed to shoot them directly at people but bounce them off the ground at people which has stopped precisely no cop lately.

"Well, actually, it's not safe to shoot at people's feet which is why you always have to aim at center of gravity" :chiefsay:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

At this point I don't begrudge any looting or rioting, because of this. Even just in the past few years, there have been so many protests against police brutality that involved no looting, no rioting, no violence, and accomplished absolutely nothing.

Also ignoring the fact that you can watch dozens of livestreams and archived video, from just the last few days, of cops attacking protesters who were being entirely peaceful.

I'd like to say, "oh, it'd be better if the protests were nonviolent." But there have been a lot of nonviolent protests, and apparently they don't get anyone's attention like riots do. Plus you're still likely to get hit with tear gas either way.

What was that protest that got a bunch of people pepper sprayed? Was it a college thing?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
At this point you could be referring to about 10 separate occasions, at a minimum, of the pigs going after peaceful protesters as hard as they can.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

RareAcumen posted:

What was that protest that got a bunch of people pepper sprayed? Was it a college thing?

There are so many videos from recent days of stuff like this happening to protesters, but the famous picture is this one:

That was an Occupy Wall Street protest in 2011 at UC Davis. It seems quaint compared to the poo poo the cops are getting up to now, like shooting people in the head with rubber bullets and gas grenades:

https://twitter.com/mooncult/status/1267741693404540928

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 3, 2020

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Bakeneko posted:

If you have to engage with those types at all, "gently caress off white-supremacist cretins" is a far more succinct response.

i agree. he's being way too nice to people saying his wife and kids don't count as real people.

Dias posted:

That's a case of "good intentions, TERRIBLE execution" if I ever saw one.

yeah, i'm willing to give him slack given context, but in his attempt to be civil to racists he uh... sure ends up sounding like one of them.

CYBEReris posted:

hot tech tip, if you're going to phrase interracial relationships the same way people would talk about dog breeding, please don't

my mom once tried to make me feel better about being mixed by telling me how mixed breed dogs were so much smarter and better than purebred ones and didn't understand why i didn't like that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Goon Boots posted:

I'm all for calling them "maimshot". Like how there's buckshot for shotguns.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

DeafNote posted:

Even my favorite Youtube OB/GYN put out a timely video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJNC_iDPuP4
And my favorite old drag queen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u28xCJ_rjO4

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

There are so many videos from recent days of stuff like this happening to protesters, but the famous picture is this one:

That was an Occupy Wall Street protest in 2011 at UC Davis. It seems quaint compared to the poo poo the cops are getting up to now, like shooting people in the head with rubber bullets and gas grenades:

https://twitter.com/mooncult/status/1267741693404540928

God, Occupy Wall Street, I had completely memory holed that.

But yes, thank you, that was exactly the one that I was thinking of.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

wow someone was angry about this one huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I hate the police