Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

All I want in the wrestling world is for Cage to do a Road Warriors/Sting/that other rear end in a top hat who wore face paint type gimmick. Gigantic steroid man in bright colours and face paint who can also do flips and throw guys around is very much my kind of poo poo.

Edit: And selling, none of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MrBling posted:

Cage signed a WWE developmental deal like 10-12 years ago, but left/was released after a year. So either he didn't like it or they didn't like him enough.

He sucked then ( by his own admission) The improvement came after working hard. I think Kanyon helped him? I know he gave the Mortis gear to Cage.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

What's the deal with WWE and Pro Wrestling Tees? There are several active WWE wrestlers who still sell shirts on there.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fatherofmustard posted:

What's the deal with WWE and Pro Wrestling Tees? There are several active WWE wrestlers who still sell shirts on there.

Pretty sure they negotiated it so that they could work there and still sell them, I think HeronorcSteen started it?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sandman McMahon posted:

All I want in the wrestling world is for Cage to do a Road Warriors/Sting/that other rear end in a top hat who wore face paint type gimmick. Gigantic steroid man in bright colours and face paint who can also do flips and throw guys around is very much my kind of poo poo.

Edit: And selling, none of that.
cosign all of this

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think HeronorcSteen started it?

please don't dox my LARP character HeronOrcSteen

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He sucked then ( by his own admission) The improvement came after working hard. I think Kanyon helped him? I know he gave the Mortis gear to Cage.

Wait a second... Brian Cage is Mortis II? How is this not more of a thing?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Wait a second... Brian Cage is Mortis II? How is this not more of a thing?

I think he only did it for a short while

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
People seemed to like responding to blocks of questions - here are some more:

1. Back in the late 90s, Brian Christopher (Too Sexy) and Scott Taylor (Too Hot) were a tag team named Too Much, before they were Too Cool. I thought they were a great heel tag team, but, well, they needed to dance, I guess. There was a brief angle where they ended up befriending the Disciples of Apocalypse (8-Ball/Skull). I wish I could find more on what the deal was, but Brian and Scott would ride on the back of a motorcycle, and I suppose it had some Russo-ish implications. I'm pretty sure the storyline didn't go anywhere, but can anyone remind me what the storyline was?

2. Can anyone recall Sgt. Craig Pittman being involved in any meaningful matches or storylines?

3. Had Bam Bam Bigelow ever made any comments (before he passed away, obviously) about his WWF career post-WrestleMania XI?

4. What do you think of the 2nd Shawn/Razor Ladder Match? I remember really loving it, possibly more than the first, and had a chance to rewatch it, after... 20 years? There's a lot more laying around and slow climbing, and double KO spots - and they don't work as well when Razor's been beating on Shawn for 10 minutes versus Razor getting hit with a desperation forearm. On the other hand, getting a sneak peek at a brutal Razor Ramon was just amazing. As a whole, I'm just not sure how to think about the match. I think it's still a very good match, but perhaps it's just a bit uneven, and it left us wanting a heel Razor.

5. Before he went to WCW, Scott Hall had the obvious issues, but were there any long term plans before he ended up leaving?

6. Out of the WCW/New Japan relationship in the late 90s, it seemed to work out really well for NJPW. Did anyone from New Japan end up being a big deal in WCW or draw decent money? I know Muta was usually booked really well, and he stuck around for a while, but I don't recall him being used outside the midcard and stuff with Vampiro. I know Chono and Tenzan tagged a bit, but I don't recall more than that.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Red posted:

What do people think of Brian Cage?

He seems like Vince's wet dream, as a big guy who can move. Well, before the steroid trials.

I'm guessing the reason he's never worked for WWE is because there's no way he'd pass a wellness test. While he's really agile for a guy that big, I also get a Tom Magee vibe from him. Sometimes, he looks good, but at other times, he looks.... fake? I remember seeing Magee work a match (I can't find the video now) where it looked like a rehearsal of someone doing wrestling moves - no contact, no acting, no anything. I haven't seen many Cage matches, but he looks similar in the few I've seen. I don't need to see guys working stiff, but it should look real.

He’s too short for Vince in my opinion. Cage seems okay if a little bland character wise. Him vs. Moxley could be good though.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Red posted:

What do you think of the 2nd Shawn/Razor Ladder Match? I remember really loving it, possibly more than the first, and had a chance to rewatch it, after... 20 years? There's a lot more laying around and slow climbing, and double KO spots - and they don't work as well when Razor's been beating on Shawn for 10 minutes versus Razor getting hit with a desperation forearm. On the other hand, getting a sneak peek at a brutal Razor Ramon was just amazing. As a whole, I'm just not sure how to think about the match. I think it's still a very good match, but perhaps it's just a bit uneven, and it left us wanting a heel Razor.

The Summerslam ladder match was hamstrung by a mandate to avoid using the ladder as an obvious weapon, IIRC. If you compare the ladder spots from WM10 to this one, you'll notice that the spots from the orignal ladder match that had the ladder being wielded are gone in the second one.

Shawn's tantrum at the end didn't help things either.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Cage is billed at a very generous 6'0 and WWE has never really known what to do with muscle freaks who are seen as "too short" (see also: Tazz). I'm not surprised that they never gave him another look after his brief developmental stint.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Pittman had exactly one feud I remember, where Cobra debuted as Pittman's former Army comrade who he left behind in Iraq, or something. They had a PPV match that Pittman won by rappelling in from the ceiling and jumping him (as apparently this very tasteful stunt was a thing even back in 1995)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red posted:

People seemed to like responding to blocks of questions - here are some more:

1. Back in the late 90s, Brian Christopher (Too Sexy) and Scott Taylor (Too Hot) were a tag team named Too Much, before they were Too Cool. I thought they were a great heel tag team, but, well, they needed to dance, I guess. There was a brief angle where they ended up befriending the Disciples of Apocalypse (8-Ball/Skull). I wish I could find more on what the deal was, but Brian and Scott would ride on the back of a motorcycle, and I suppose it had some Russo-ish implications. I'm pretty sure the storyline didn't go anywhere, but can anyone remind me what the storyline was?

I believe there was suppose to be a gay wedding, but Jerry Lawler had Vince put a stop to it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DeathChicken posted:

Pittman had exactly one feud I remember, where Cobra debuted as Pittman's former Army comrade who he left behind in Iraq, or something. They had a PPV match that Pittman won by rappelling in from the ceiling and jumping him (as apparently this very tasteful stunt was a thing even back in 1995)

Before that, at an 1989 (I think) Clash of the Champions, they had Ranger Ross make his entrance by rappelling from the rafters of the arena.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Red posted:

3. Had Bam Bam Bigelow ever made any comments (before he passed away, obviously) about his WWF career post-WrestleMania XI?

About what you'd expect:
A) The Kliq were deep in Vince's ear and didn't care for Bam Bam;
B) if Bam Bam cared enough, he probably could have either won the Kliq over (I think he got along with Nash and maybe HBK individually?) or at least been one of the people that had enough leeway for Vince to keep them off his rear end;
C) he didn't care enough, because he could see the writing on the wall, and not only would it be very hard to get Diesel-like pops for himself even without the Kliq working against him, it wouldn't matter anyway because the rocket strapped to Michaels' rear end was going to leave Nash way behind, let alone Bam Bam.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Bam Bam got hosed over so hard after WMXI. He was supposed to get a push after jobbing to a Taylor but after he and Michaels turned face at the same time his ceiling became #5 baby face in the promotion.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

6. Out of the WCW/New Japan relationship in the late 90s, it seemed to work out really well for NJPW. Did anyone from New Japan end up being a big deal in WCW or draw decent money? I know Muta was usually booked really well, and he stuck around for a while, but I don't recall him being used outside the midcard and stuff with Vampiro. I know Chono and Tenzan tagged a bit, but I don't recall more than that.

It worked out really poorly for New Japan other than getting to do nWo Japan. They'd regularly get hosed out of the talent they wanted on their tours (or would have some unfortunate injuries like Goldberg missing the 2000 1/4 Dome show because of the limo injuries) and their talent was treated as a joke in WCW. Nagata was given a token push for 2 months and then mostly used as a JTTS, Chono was treated as a midcarder, Nakanishi was given the terrible Kurosawa gimmick and of course there was having Liger lose the IWGP Jr title to a tequila bottle shot. Muta was made out to be an absolute joke at the end. His 2000 run was supposed to set up something when he returned but he was treated as a complete clown, no pun intended.

There was also the issue that someone like Norton was a star in New Japan and then treated as a midcard guy in WCW.

Only Muta really drew and that was in the late 80s. Liger was important to the development of the cruiserweight concept but wasn't really a draw. He was a big deal in the sense the Pillman matches really got people talking and could have elevated Pillman if Watts didn't come in. His run in the Monday Night Wars matches had some good matches but nothing sustained.

There's a reason they ended the relationship and Bischoff was left trying to mend fences with Japanese groups during the Fusient negotiations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
There was still SOME kind of WCW/NJPW relationship just before WCW folded, though...wasn't there? Dan Faquir/Dan Factor/Dan Devine was seemingly part of both companies as late as December 2000.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

anakha posted:

The Summerslam ladder match was hamstrung by a mandate to avoid using the ladder as an obvious weapon, IIRC. If you compare the ladder spots from WM10 to this one, you'll notice that the spots from the orignal ladder match that had the ladder being wielded are gone in the second one.

Shawn's tantrum at the end didn't help things either.

Yeah the weird finish drags it down for me. The superkick at the top of the ladder looks like crap, and then Shawn botches getting the belt twice as I recall. The first time they manage to play it off because the ladder is out of position, but the second time is just awkward.

Still a pretty good match though with some really sick bumps from Shawn. He takes a nasty suplex to the outside that I'm surprised didn't ruin his back, and another spot where he gets his leg tangled in the ladder really makes me cringe.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
What's the rough timeline on the Orange Cassidy character? As in, when did OC switch from "guy in green tights" to "Chuckie T's hungover buddy", and then went from heel to face? Also, did OC and Fire Ant exist at the same time in Chikara?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

inthesto posted:

What's the rough timeline on the Orange Cassidy character? As in, when did OC switch from "guy in green tights" to "Chuckie T's hungover buddy", and then went from heel to face? Also, did OC and Fire Ant exist at the same time in Chikara?

I can't remember if this goes into specific dates or not but I know it includes OC talking about why and how he transitioned into this gimmick and is, in general, a good and quick watch:

https://youtu.be/thVHAHJ1Mig

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
There’s always been talk about how WWE used wrestlers better after they left WCW (Austin, HHH, Foley for example) but who are some wrestlers that were better utilized by WCW after leaving WWE? There’s Lex Luger as an obvious example but even he was pre-established in WCW before jumping back.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If you count guys who went via ECW then Raven

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CopywrightMMXI posted:

There’s always been talk about how WWE used wrestlers better after they left WCW (Austin, HHH, Foley for example) but who are some wrestlers that were better utilized by WCW after leaving WWE? There’s Lex Luger as an obvious example but even he was pre-established in WCW before jumping back.

Paul Roma got a couple of Tag title reigns, and became a Horseman.
Shane Douglas was a glorified jobber in his first WWF run, went to WCW, and won the Tag titles with Ricky Steamboat.
Dustin Rhodes was pretty much in Shane Douglas' position in the WWF, but became a much bigger star in WCW before leaving to become Goldust.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Randy Savage was going to be a commentator and part-time wrestler before he went to WCW.

Bigelow’s WWF career was done before ECW and then ECW. Jeff Jarrett was in the main event scene in WCW. You could make an argument for Curt Hennig. Scott Steiner.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Duggan, maybe? I mean he was always pushed as a lovable face in WWF but never won a title which he did in WCW.

Meng somehow always felt like a much bigger deal in WCW despite basically being a glorified jobber.

Konnan, if we want to count his Max Moon run.

Kronik I guess were also pushed as bigger deals in WCW? Adam Bomb was never much of anything and Crush was always changing gimmicks and just floating around doing very little.

That's a pretty short list and still not guys who excelled to the degree of an Austin.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

Randy Savage was going to be a commentator and part-time wrestler before he went to WCW.

Bigelow’s WWF career was done before ECW and then ECW. Jeff Jarrett was in the main event scene in WCW. You could make an argument for Curt Hennig. Scott Steiner.

You cannot make an argument for Curt Hennig at all. His WCW run was horrible. The Flair feud was hot but never got blown off due to injury and he was just bad in the ring.

Kevin Nash and Scott Hall are the best examples.

Wrath/Bryan Clarke was definitely used better than Adam Bomb but, it's not like it was a great run.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DeathChicken posted:

As I recall it that story was super elaborate with it being revealed that they were actually spooks and Pittman basically became Rambo. And it happened entirely on WCW Worldwide.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Part of the issue is that once the Monday Night Wars started in earnest the pipeline was by and large "older guys to WCW, younger guys to WWF", and the defections in the later period are larger in everyone's minds.

Randy Savage is someone who absolutely had a big run in WWF, but by 1994 his path forward in WWF was "be an announcer", so within that lens Savage 'did better' for the next five years of largely main event work in WCW than he would have in WWF. Steamboat was treated like a bigger deal in both of his WCW runs than in either of his WWF runs. That isn't really the same thing as the Foley/Austin/Triple H/Jericho narrative though.

I don't know how you factor something like Vader's WWF run into this.

Because of how the two companies were run at the time, there just aren't that many "younger wrestler is underutilized in WWF and then goes onto great success in WCW". Even Hall & Nash are two examples of people who languished in WCW, jumped to WWF where they got pushes, and then went back to WCW and were admittedly even bigger stars upon their return. In a world without the NWO angle Nash would have been an example of "WCW made him dress up as Oz, WWF made Diesel their champion."

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ganso Bomb posted:

Duggan, maybe? I mean he was always pushed as a lovable face in WWF but never won a title which he did in WCW.

I'd argue that lovable face was a better use of Duggan than handing him any kind of title tbh.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Paul Roma got a couple of Tag title reigns, and became a Horseman.
Shane Douglas was a glorified jobber in his first WWF run, went to WCW, and won the Tag titles with Ricky Steamboat.
Dustin Rhodes was pretty much in Shane Douglas' position in the WWF, but became a much bigger star in WCW before leaving to become Goldust.

Dustin had like 2 matches in the WWF before going to WCW. I don't know if that counts.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Speaking of Big Sexy, is he the worst WWE/F world champion before... let's say 2010? Nash's strength is his charisma, but the happy smiling catchphrase-spewing babyface character clearly didn't fit him at all.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Vince McMahon was briefly champion, and not even as a heel

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Speaking of Big Sexy, is he the worst WWE/F world champion before... let's say 2010? Nash's strength is his charisma, but the happy smiling catchphrase-spewing babyface character clearly didn't fit him at all.

Stan Stasiak and Ivan Koloff held the title for a few weeks combined and were merely the heel of the month in the main event when they won.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

jesus WEP posted:

Vince McMahon was briefly champion, and not even as a heel

Oh God how did I forget this. A pointless one-week reign ostensibly designed to get Triple H over but more obviously an excuse for Vince to pose with the belt for a bit (and maybe Schwarzenegger too? or was that before/after?).

And then the following year WCW arguably did the same storyline but even worse with Russo winning the belt.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Giving Kane the belt for one night in the middle of Austin’s hot run in 98 was loving stupid as well, although he was probably as well placed as anyone to take the belt

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

jesus WEP posted:

Giving Kane the belt for one night in the middle of Austin’s hot run in 98 was loving stupid as well, although he was probably as well placed as anyone to take the belt

Is it actually true that the reason they did this was because they booked the first blood match without realising that in order for Kane to lose he would have to unmask (or take off his bodysuit, potentially exposing his monster penis from Vince's See No Evil pitch), which they weren't yet prepared to do? Austin was great, all the kids on my school playground loved Kane's mask, and somehow they booked themselves into a hole where Austin either had to lose the title or Kane had to lose his mask.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Sheamus's first run was worse than Nash's. I think JBL's run was worse. If we're including the WHC, Khali is worst of all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

What was even worse with this is that he won it in a first blood match where he was clearly bleeding first, but they had to ignore it because it wasn’t supposed to happen.

Edit: I think I misremembered this. I think Austin was the one who bled early, but they ignored it because it wasn’t planned.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 3, 2020