Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

we can't populate the universe without more federation babies

unprotected sex is mandatory in the federation

(skant???)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

guys im learning heavily into the mirror universe dark federation roleplay from now on

report to sickbay for installation of your emotion regulation chip

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GolfHole posted:

we can't populate the universe without more federation babies

unprotected sex is mandatory in the federation

(skant???)

i still laugh that dukat has nine kids. learn a rubber, dude

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

all starfleet officers are hereby required to wear a personal location lapel on their clothing about their breast at all times

the location device can also be used for monitored internal communications and can also relate state-sponsored messages directly to your person

please be advised that anything you say can and will be used against you in a federation court martial

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

you must wear this device even when sleeping

if you are possessed or influenced by an alien entity during a dream sequence and are not found to be wearing your personal location lapel so that you can immediately communicate with security you will be punished with the more ominous weapons and vicious tribbles

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's wild that the mirror universe has nearly identical populations to the prime universe. Like there's a mirror Spock and Mirror Kirk, and then a hundred years later there's a Mirror Sisko. All the things that went different, but the same people kept bumping uglies and making babies.

That has to be Qs or something, right? Something pruning away dead ends. Mirror Jadzia and Mirror Ezri never even get joined with Dax, but both somehow wind up in the human resistance on Mirror DS9, a station that has no other Trills. That can't just be coincidence.

Kinda scary. Like Jake is still alive, but Mirror Jake was never born, so if Jake goes on to have a bunch of kids and grandkids it would break the mirror. Jake doesn't necessarily have to die young, but his life does have to meaningless and make no lasting impact of any kind.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
my theory is that cardassians are like the new mexico whiptail lizard Aspidoscelis neomexicanus. exclusively parthenogenic. that's why they're so intense about "family" and strict societal roles. the nuclear family model has to be mandated because it's culturally important but otherwise biologically obsolete. sex is only for bonding, your average cardassian will just periodically spit out a clone. this is also why their planet became resource-scarce--they couldn't regulate population because -- *poof!* -- babies just sort of fall out of them from time to time.

dukat clearly favors his son melkor (who gets several shoutouts in the show, but who we never see). probably because that one is actually his offsprongt. the other six with his wife are all hers.

anyway this is how and why a space-faring civilization has not invented the condom. they have sex for bonding purposes and have no idea that's how babies are made.

for evidence, i present:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
how does this square with mila being garak's mother, you ask? well i don't think she is. it's not explicit in the show. family? sure. but she has white hair and tain has black hair. you know what i think? grandma. ergo they are clearly like the american alligator, where sex is simply determined by temperature during embryonic development. mila -> tain -> garak. qed.

sure, gilora offers to mate with miles, but we see that she and the other engineer lady (ulani) are into weird offworld poo poo and they probably heard you can generate a non-clone baby if you mate with an alien. so it's scientific, and also turbo wack

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's wild that the mirror universe has nearly identical populations to the prime universe. Like there's a mirror Spock and Mirror Kirk, and then a hundred years later there's a Mirror Sisko. All the things that went different, but the same people kept bumping uglies and making babies.

That has to be Qs or something, right? Something pruning away dead ends. Mirror Jadzia and Mirror Ezri never even get joined with Dax, but both somehow wind up in the human resistance on Mirror DS9, a station that has no other Trills. That can't just be coincidence.

Kinda scary. Like Jake is still alive, but Mirror Jake was never born, so if Jake goes on to have a bunch of kids and grandkids it would break the mirror. Jake doesn't necessarily have to die young, but his life does have to meaningless and make no lasting impact of any kind.

i got good news about jake sisko for you

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

jake is the siskoito

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Star Trek Picard season 2 is all about Picard trying to stop the publication of older Jake Sisko's heartfelt memoir about being a kid at Wolf 359 and losing his mom and his home to Locutus

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Star Trek Picard season 2 is all about Picard trying to stop the publication of older Jake Sisko's heartfelt memoir about being a kid at Wolf 359 and losing his mom and his home to Locutus

no it is NOT doint gently caress with me

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
picard season 2 is mass effect 2, because kurtzmann has no shame. all the setup is there. heck, picard s1 set up mass effect 2 way better than mass effect 1 did.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

i still laugh that dukat has nine kids. learn a rubber, dude

you'd think that with 24th century technology, vasectomies would be both trivial to perform and trivial to reverse. like basically *bzzzt* alright, you're done. oh, you changed your mind? sigh, alright, *flips switch*, *bzzzt*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
true or false: tom paris is just a less charismatic michael j. nelson

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Facebook Aunt posted:

the mirror universe isn't a coherent universe any more than a mirror itself is your bathroom. it reflects only what looks what into it for as long as it's looked into. it is a formless, meaningless, void until a path to it is opened, and only then does it come to reflect the prime universe as it is in that moment; but, just like a lake into which you drop a stone, the reflection is disturbed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

you'd think that with 24th century technology, vasectomies would be both trivial to perform and trivial to reverse. like basically *bzzzt* alright, you're done. oh, you changed your mind? sigh, alright, *flips switch*, *bzzzt*

exactly. my turbo brain cardassian parthenogenesis hypothesis becomes ever more credible w/ each level of examination

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
the only redeeming trait about Cardassians is their love for their family, that’s why they all have like a hundred kids. Which isn”t as weird a choice as it seems for a reptilian-looking race. Crocodiles raise their young for months and are very attentive

e: hmm according to memory alpha I’m wrong and they aren’t known for having that many children. Well fine then, dukat just likes to get it on

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 3, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
they also wear hilariously bad clothes

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJa8w-i4BZI

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Pick posted:

ds9
sex hologram
There is only one thing I remember about this combination of words... And it is magnificent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwwvLbM4azw

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I figured the Cardassian government encouraged large families as a way to get more bodies for the state.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

I feel like that's really unfair to Mike

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

infernal machines posted:

I feel like that's really unfair to Mike

the only thing those two have in common is they both look like default human male options in a character selection screen.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

I actually had a theory that the Mirror Universe doesn't have its own existence, but is a pocket or shadow that clings to our universe like a lamprey. It is created anew every time someone visits.

E: FB

Ghostlight posted:

the mirror universe isn't a coherent universe any more than a mirror itself is your bathroom. it reflects only what looks what into it for as long as it's looked into. it is a formless, meaningless, void until a path to it is opened, and only then does it come to reflect the prime universe as it is in that moment; but, just like a lake into which you drop a stone, the reflection is disturbed.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Mirror Universe was created by sexweirds from our universe. It predates holo technology! Some people just want to look really really deeply into their own butthole. They don't want to look into a similar butthole, and they don't want pictures no matter how detailed, they want the real thing!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

I actually had a theory that the Mirror Universe doesn't have its own existence, but is a pocket or shadow that clings to our universe like a lamprey. It is created anew every time someone visits.

Oooooo I like that

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Does that make Harry Kim Crow or Tom Servo?

Kes is obviously Gypsy

The doc with his creepy photography hobby is cambot of course

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The "family means everything to Cardassians" statement was followed up with a statement about several generations eating dinner together so it's more about that than having lots of alligator babies. It was probably also bullshit.

Xindi Insectoids are probably more family oriented.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Cardassians would love Nixon. He's pro war and pro family.

P.S

Jack in!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The "family means everything to Cardassians" statement was followed up with a statement about several generations eating dinner together so it's more about that than having lots of alligator babies. It was probably also bullshit.

Xindi Insectoids are probably more family oriented.

Kotan P'dar is also facing disgrace to get his son back, where otherwise he could have swept it under the rug. Same with Dukat wrt: Ziyal. And Tain knows for his own protection he should have done the same with Garak (and says as much) but never does/can. Dukat's also pretty focused on his son we never see (annoys me... show me the little dude!)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

AntherUslessPoster posted:

There is only one thing I remember about this combination of words... And it is magnificent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwwvLbM4azw

Now that’s a magnificent Ferengi.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Pick posted:

Kotan P'dar is also facing disgrace to get his son back, where otherwise he could have swept it under the rug. Same with Dukat wrt: Ziyal. And Tain knows for his own protection he should have done the same with Garak (and says as much) but never does/can. Dukat's also pretty focused on his son we never see (annoys me... show me the little dude!)

There’s the ep with the guy who thinks Kira is his daughter too. When it comes down to it Cardassians really do value their family over government, duty, etc. Everyone else’s kids can get hosed though, especially orphans

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 3, 2020

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Epicurius posted:

I figured the Cardassian government encouraged large families as a way to get more bodies for the state.

It could be a chicken/egg situation. When humans get stability and education we tend to seek out ways to control how many children we have. But there's no reason to think every humanoid species would react the same way. Maybe they don't get the urge to have fewer children, or maybe 9 is a much smaller family than their pre-industrial ancestors had, or maybe it's parthenogenesis.

So they have large families of educated children that mostly survive to adulthood and continuing exponential population growth. Technology prevents starvation. A strong State prevents disorder. An ever-expanding Empire provides lebensraum and resources to ensure a good quality of life.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

the only redeeming trait about Cardassians is their love for their family, that’s why they all have like a hundred kids. Which isn”t as weird a choice as it seems for a reptilian-looking race. Crocodiles raise their young for months and are very attentive

e: hmm according to memory alpha I’m wrong and they aren’t known for having that many children. Well fine then, dukat just likes to get it on

Eh, I'm not convinced we saw enough Cardasian families to determine average family size. That cardie who wanted to bone O'brian seemed to think lots of kids would be good. "I assure you I'm... quite fertile. I could provide you with many healthy children."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD5e54UVrZk&t=71s

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Hey can anybody tell me where I and order one of those Risian gently caress statues

It's for a friend

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Your friend is looking for horga'hn man
Tell him to look on ebay, there are listings of all sizes and materials

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

There’s the ep with the guy who thinks Kira is his daughter too. When it comes down to it Cardassians really do value their family over government, duty, etc. Everyone else’s kids can get hosed though, especially orphans

Orphans can devote themselves to the state like everyone else :lofty:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Applewhite posted:

I really like this, but I was going ro ask 'what about all the times people from the mirror universe came into ours first?' And in typing that I figured it out! It continues to exist for a time after the first contact. So all the follow up DS9 eps happen in that short time before the mirror universe falls apart or whatever.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

It could be a chicken/egg situation. When humans get stability and education we tend to seek out ways to control how many children we have. But there's no reason to think every humanoid species would react the same way. Maybe they don't get the urge to have fewer children, or maybe 9 is a much smaller family than their pre-industrial ancestors had, or maybe it's parthenogenesis.

So they have large families of educated children that mostly survive to adulthood and continuing exponential population growth. Technology prevents starvation. A strong State prevents disorder. An ever-expanding Empire provides lebensraum and resources to ensure a good quality of life.

Maybe. Although, of course, that doesn't always happen. Nazi Germany, for instance, encouraged women to have a lot of children, even giving financial incentives and public praise to families with a lot of kids. And, since the Cardassians are pretty clearly modeled on the Nazis, I'm wondering if it's just a similar parallel.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Soviets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Juul-Whip posted:

it was funny when Geordi got owned for making a holo-fuckpuppet of that physicist

help me remember this accurately

the holo-lady is actually the ship personifying itself right?

so its not that geordi hosed a puppet (as everyone does in the holo-suites), its that he was literally banging the ship. or at least the ship's computer

makes me think of that futurama episode...and then i realize the futurama episode is just aping tng

i want to make a sci-fi story with characters that are like the offshoots of the weird things that happen in space like:

-a guy who is just an accidental transporter clone
-a guy who teleported forward in time and saw the future with his son in it until at the very end his son kills himself sending the guy back to have to live life again
-person from another dimension who ended up getting accidentally sucked into ours during someone else's grand adventure

star trek is full of these fascinating set ups but those characters often disappear or the circumstances become simply incidental. i know my examples are mostly major characters and you do see them again, but there are plenty more i just can't remember. its really opened my eyes to the possibilities of sci-fi character backgrounds though