Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

TontoCorazon posted:

I guess what I meant to say is that guy's full of poo poo

Okay I'll let him know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Leal posted:

He needs to watch MLP to accurately detail 4k horse vulva for Red Dead Redemption 3

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Not so much a little thing but I can not get over the fact that the Captain Tsubasa release in the EU will have a Legends Edition that comes with an actual football table

https://twitter.com/CptTsubasaRONC/status/1265289993930629124

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Triarii posted:

I was at lunch with some game dev coworkers one day and in the course of conversation one guy mentioned that he was a fan of My Little Pony. I started to give him a bit of a ribbing (I mean, none of us could be particularly vicious because we all have some cartoons we like and we were working on a kids' game at the time) but then he explained that he got into it when he was working on Battlefield 5 and he needed something bright and completely positive and friendly to help him get over days where he'd spend eight hours watching footage of AC-130s blowing human bodies into pieces and I was like...oh...

This is pretty weird given that no BF game has been particularly gory and if anything are pretty sanitized, but I guess they probably do watch a lot of war footage for other elements of the game

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The death animations are pretty well researched.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I like how the controller just vibrates when you're low on health in Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Sure other games have done that but it's nice to get physical feedback rather than an annoying bing bing bing in the background.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I like it when the PS4 controller uses the light bar for that kind of stuff. It's a pretty handy visual tool so that you don't have to check a menu or something. I really liked it in Borderlands 3 when it changed color to match the element of the gun you had equipped.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Leavemywife posted:

I like it when the PS4 controller uses the light bar for that kind of stuff. It's a pretty handy visual tool so that you don't have to check a menu or something. I really liked it in Borderlands 3 when it changed color to match the element of the gun you had equipped.

My favorite use is in Jedi: Fallen Order, it changes depending on which lightsaber color you use. Pretty cool when you're playing at night and your controller lights up as you pull out the lightsaber to see in the dark in game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't think I've ever noticed what the light bar was doing while playing a game.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Lobok posted:

I don't think I've ever noticed what the light bar was doing while playing a game.

It's nice that devs add these little touches but, yeah, who the gently caress is watching their controller as they play a videogame? (someone really bored, maybe?)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I noticed it in metro exodus, which dimmed or brightened the bar based on whether you were standing in light or not. except it was just an either/or thing and some situations like sunset outdoors would make it flicker nonstop, which was incredibly distracting when I was playing in a dark room and not actually using a controller. playing with a mouse and keyboard but the light from the controller sitting on the shelf next to my pc was flickering on and off incessantly, so I had to just unplug the thing when I was playing metro since there was no way to turn the feature off.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I usually forget it exists in the daytime but I play a lot in the dark at night, it'd be weird to not notice it :shrug:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

drat horror queefs posted:

It's nice that devs add these little touches but, yeah, who the gently caress is watching their controller as they play a videogame? (someone really bored, maybe?)

In a previous decade, I bought a Dreamcast to play Sword of the Berserk. There is a sequence where giant spiky vines or roots are shooting out of walls and will instantly kill you. You can't look away for a second.

The VMU in the controller plays heroic music and shows an animation of your sidekick character dressed as you doing a pose during that sequence. I can only imagine its there to distract you.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I play at night after everyone is in bed, in a darkened room with headphones on so I don't wake anyone up. It's really hard not to notice, even with the light setting on dim.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I guess I should have expected that a lot of goons play games ensconced in utter primordial darkness, lol.

No judgment though - I have weak baby eyes so I need to play in a lit room with low monitor brightness.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wasn't passing judgment on people seeing the controller light up. Just haven't seen it myself apart from powering the console and controller on/off.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I guess I should have expected that a lot of goons play games ensconced in utter primordial darkness, lol.

No judgment though - I have weak baby eyes so I need to play in a lit room with low monitor brightness.

Speaking of brightness, why are so many games so goddamn dark anymore? Playing RE2 and 3 at the recommended brightness, for example, I couldn't see poo poo. Even cranking it up, it was still dark as gently caress, but at least I could see. Is that just a me issue, or do you guys have that problem?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I can't remember the last game I didn't crank up a ways past the recommended brightness setting*

*technically I do, but it was MGS3 which was old enough to have brightness features amounting to text saying to adjust your TV until it looks right

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Leavemywife posted:

Speaking of brightness, why are so many games so goddamn dark anymore? Playing RE2 and 3 at the recommended brightness, for example, I couldn't see poo poo. Even cranking it up, it was still dark as gently caress, but at least I could see. Is that just a me issue, or do you guys have that problem?

I wonder about that too, I got my monitor calibrated and when I lower the brightness to as low as they want (usually I have to make something barely visible) then half the games I play would be too dark. Then I raise the brightness couple notches and it looks right. Am I misunderstanding what "barely visible" means?

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Maybe it's based on some weird fantasy scenario where you're using the worlds best OLED monitor in the middle of the night in a pitch black room with zero other light sources or something.

Do we have any game developers on SA? I'd think we'd all like to hear why the recommended brightness setting has no apparent relation to reality.

aardwolf has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Jun 3, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sininu posted:

I wonder about that too, I got my monitor calibrated and when I lower the brightness to as low as they want (usually I have to make something barely visible) then half the games I play would be too dark. Then I raise the brightness couple notches and it looks right. Am I misunderstanding what "barely visible" means?

I’m convinced the devs know everyone turns it up brighter than they say and that’s how they tune things.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RE2 actually looks way too bright and blown out on my PC monitor. I have to turn the brightness a notch or two lower than "image on the left is barely visible" if I want any semblance of darkness. DMCV was the same way, I think it has something to do with the engine they use for those games.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Sininu posted:

As far as I can tell, it means "barely visible, but you could still tell what it was if you walked in the room and were seeing it for the first time. Like, if it's Dragon Age or whatever and the icon's a dragon, you should set it so you could look at it and say "Oh, yeah, that's a dim li'l dragon."

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

There are some games that I make as bright as possible and they're still dark as poo poo. Sure, dark is spooky, but not being able to see is loving irritating.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

And whats the deal with flashlights anyway?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Leavemywife posted:

There are some games that I make as bright as possible and they're still dark as poo poo. Sure, dark is spooky, but not being able to see is loving irritating.

I'd love in a horror movie for a character to just call out the ghost with "It's not scary that you hit the breaker switch mate, it's just annoying!" and Sadako or whatever to just be all "Fine, fine, I'll just do the bathroom mirror thing instead... THAT good enough for you?!"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has any game ever had a mode which turns all the enemies into morons? As in they're not easy but they are comically dim?

They could take the pin out a grenade and run at you while still holding it, dogpile and crash their cars together, shoot at nothing in particular, or run around making whooping noises.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has any game ever had a mode which turns all the enemies into morons? As in they're not easy but they are comically dim?

They could take the pin out a grenade and run at you while still holding it, dogpile and crash their cars together, shoot at nothing in particular, or run around making whooping noises.

That's what multiplayer is for.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Other than the car crashes that's basically the grunts from Halo

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

Other than the car crashes that's basically the grunts from Halo

Yeah my first thought reading that post is how if you stick a grunt with a plasma grenade it reacts by running straight to its Elite squad leader for help

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

They could take the pin out a grenade and run at you while still holding it

SHUT YOUR DIRTY WHORE MOUTH. I have been killed more times from not noticing Grunts kamikaze'ing me than any other enemy in the entire Halo series combined. Or worse is when you stick a grenade to them and then they decide now is the exact moment for some death and glory and they banzai charge you instead of running back to the Elites for guidance.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'll always remember the frustrated mook saying "that's not how it goes" while struggling to assemble an RPG that you can then swipe from them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

I'll always remember the frustrated mook saying "that's not how it goes" while struggling to assemble an RPG that you can then swipe from them.

God, I heard the quote in my head even before I finished reading the sentence to know which game it was attached to.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that almost all the Intervention Quests in Worlds of Final Fantasy are relevant to that character's journey in their original games, like Rikku the Treasure Hunter and Bartz the Adventurer forming a little band of explorers, or Yuna having to deal with Besaid being attacked by a Whale and in an unrelated part of the story dealing with a girl who's about to sacrifice herself uselessly for a temporary reprieve.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are games that successfully use an engine that was intended for another genre?

A positive example would be The Talos Principle. It takes the hopping, sprinting FPS protagonist model and puts them in in a 3D puzzle game about reflecting lasers.

A negative example would be the last few Bioware games made on the Frostbite engine. It turns out not easy to make open-world RPGs with branching-paths on an engine intended for linear FPS's full of spectacle intended to wow the promo people.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

What are games that successfully use an engine that was intended for another genre?

A positive example would be The Talos Principle. It takes the hopping, sprinting FPS protagonist model and puts them in in a 3D puzzle game about reflecting lasers.

A negative example would be the last few Bioware games made on the Frostbite engine. It turns out not easy to make open-world RPGs with branching-paths on an engine intended for linear FPS's full of spectacle intended to wow the promo people.

Moonbase Commander (a game about building a base/destroying your opponents' using topdown Worms-like mechanics) was made on SCUMM.

Yes, the point-and-click adventure game engine.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The thing that immediately comes to mind is actually Ocarina of Time. The entire thing is actually made on a (heavily modified) Mario 64 engine.

The most obvious example, though, is probably Dota 2. That's still the Source engine under there, that's still the engine they made Half-Life 2 on.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cleretic posted:

The thing that immediately comes to mind is actually Ocarina of Time. The entire thing is actually made on a (heavily modified) Mario 64 engine.

which is also what starfox64 is based on and is why there's an arwing in oot's files

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I recently started to play Tekken 7 again and went through a bit of the story mode, and it reminded me how much I like that characters all speak their native language. I used to bother me a bit that they all still seem to understand each other perfectly but now I decided that it means that they live in a Star Trek-esque future where everyone speaks every single language. That or they each got a Babbelfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Horizon Zero Dawn uses a heavily modified version of the original Decima engine that Guerrilla developed for Killzone Shadowfall.