Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Theglavwen posted:

That seems like weird faith to me. The trio etc. have always protected Zepath from immediate threats, like, when they arrive on the doorstep. They wouldn't even act against 'threats' like Bareen until the very last second. I don't think there's any real precedent for the trio giving advanced warning about dangers. They don't meddle; until it literally arrives on our doorstep and invokes their protection contract, it's our business to deal with or ignore. The most we've ever gotten is a subtle breeze or nudge of immediate relevance.

Eh...we're talking about divine beings who don't view time and threats the same way human or half human beings do. I'd argue nothing we've yet faced has actually threatened the continued existence of Zepath to the point such drastic steps were necessary.

Bareen, as well, was a case of Zepathan on Zepathan violence, something I imagine they largely abstain direct involvement on.

In the end though, you're right, it's a weird kind of faith to think they'd overtly act when they haven't really in the past. Do I think they would though if it threatened the people they swore to watch over? Yeah, definitely. Hence why I don't think Kitron is a big threat to us if we stay out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Azram Legion posted:

I can't speak for other people, but for me, what I'm arguing is this:

If Enkidel wants to survive and save the people he (or the thread) cares the most about - the people in the GZMA - then there is a hierarchy of problems to solve. At the top of that list is "Enemy Super Combatants - particularly of the aquatic kind", and much lower on that list is "A bunch of dudes that can be killed by a bunch of mortal, regular people". I actually agree with your analysis that when push comes to shove, even regular MM-level fighters won't matter much. The Tude - and maybe Aaron and Danal, given enough time - are potentially able to matter, but they are exceptions.

Personally, I really only care about these issues because my main interests in the game are the metaphysical mysteries. I would like to see Enkidel reach a point where we get to understand what is actually going on in this crazy game, and I think the only path to that is for Enkidel to become a lot more personally powerful, to the point where he can handle himself without TPtB or Trio support, and thus cannot be forced to live in ignorance. I would prefer if he doesn't get captured and killed/repurposed in Kitron before that.

We will most likely never be at the level you are describing (the point where Enk is on the level of TPtB or Trio) for many more IRL years, if ever. We have had the opportunity to 'unlock' that sort of potential, and either turned away from it or reloaded the game because we were informed that thread-wise the gameplay would drastically change and in-character Enkidel would no longer be able to interact with the people in his life. I don't really want to put words in the Caps' mouth, but that was the gist, if anyone wants to correct me.

Banking on becoming a god before dealing with Kitron is certainly a choice, given that Enkidel is currently stoked over discovering screws

Victis fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 3, 2020

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Enkidel got in the divine game super late so something safe like turtling and slowly accumulating ??? isn't going to cut it like a more benign demon farm. His big ??? gains comes from his heroic deeds.

The raw belief people will be sending praying for deliverance will outperform decades of ??? gain. Both at acco 2.0 and Karnak the ??? from people there REALLY believing funded the fire pillar and the hammer.

Theoretically if Enkidel was strong enough to not instantly die to a doom and instead lose slowly if he could just fight it in a mountain range over, he might win if people keep sending him ??? and he managed to outlast the doom.

Polgas fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 3, 2020

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Reminder that we don't know what ??? is, and all signs point at it being a limited resource, not something we're accumulating. So all arguments that are "do great deeds to get ???" fall flat if it turns out we're unlocking a resource that is gone when we use it (and which we'll have better gains in via getting more control anyway)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

For everyone claiming the chaff don’t matter: every living person in this world matters to some degree. Every action, every thought, every little change has a rippling effect on every other event. The melachim manage this through subtle shoves and whispering ‘hey maybe go to market today’ where someone meets the love of their life and they father many strong sons. Just because these normal people don’t make huge waves doesn’t mean their individual ripples don’t culminate in a resonance cascade that topples mountains.

That being said, I don’t believe there is anything we as Enkidel can reasonably do for the donut. They will have to live or die on their own. What we can do is continue to love our own and grow our own land to a point where we can fight back. All we’ve been told by the PtB is more or less ‘we’ll tell you when you’re older’ which is akin to ‘well tell you when you’re ready’ which I think we’ve been making progress towards. Meeting beings like Amok, Amos, Orm, Gebek, etc just proves to us that Enkidel is cool and good and strong but severely outclassed by a great many things. We should take the lesson of hubris into account and not assume that no mater what we will prevail. Tudiya trusted that Aaron was ready to help with Gebek and he got the Blood ripped out of him and would be dead if we didn’t happen to have a unique healing pot on us. Granny-chan saves Aaron’s life and gave us the hope that one day he will return to his former glory.

We aren’t guaranteed to win this. Acting like it’s a given if we just do X and Y is only going to over extend our meager resources and make the fall all the more likely.

Trust the process. Trust the people who have, to our face, said that they love us and try to do what they can. If this fails then we can find our own way, but to so casually toss it aside is foolhardy and not showing the kind of maturity that is required to wield world breaking abilities like we possess.

Dismissing the inhabitants of the donut as lost sucks. It’s awful and they have suffered enough. Trying to change that is beyond our ability or means. We can only do what we can do and may El bless our efforts that we may help everyone climb the mountain.

If we decide to release ourself from the bounds of living as a Man then perhaps we may be able to affect greater change and see our will become manifest, but that is the trade off I don’t believe many in the thread are willing to make. If we decide to ascend then we can play at the big boy level but for right now we’re limited by our own dedication to our people. We can’t have it both ways.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Polgas posted:

Enkidel got in the divine game super late so something safe like turtling and slowly accumulating ??? isn't going to cut it like a more benign demon farm. His big ??? gains comes from his heroic deeds.

The raw belief people will be sending praying for deliverance will outperform decades of ??? gain. Both at acco 2.0 and Karnak the ??? from people there REALLY believing funded the fire pillar and the hammer.

Theoretically if Enkidel was strong enough to not instantly die to a doom and instead lose slowly if he could just fight it in a mountain range over, he might win if people keep sending him ??? and he managed to outlast the doom.

Every piece of ??? funneled to Enkidel is a piece of ??? not being funneled to El; and Enkidel doesn't have the range or the reach that El does. Plus, once the people funneling ??? to Enkidel lose faith, it's gone. It's a false boost to Enkidel's abilities that if he relies on, won't be there in times of strife. There's a reason the Melachim have said that Enkidel cannot be worshipped, and it's because if he does rely on the boosted ??? from heroic deeds, then when it disappears he's that much closer to going hunger demon.

Kitron is needed by the aquatic folks because they need a coastal city to spawn their best units...they're tired of having a malus on all their chaff.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

A

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

quote:

Okay. The time has come. And this is very, very serious. Are you prepared to undertake a serious responsibility? We would like to give a picture to Ishamal, if we find one we like. If you find one, send it to me on Discord.

We are trying to slowly add pictures for prominent figures in Enkidel's life. We will edit this post away if/when we find one, so if you still see this, we have not gotten one yet! Please don't post them here, message me on Discord if you think you found one which works, thanks. Very well known characters from any fictional work or well known actors are things we shy away from, lesser known ones may be okay.

Edit: Yes, even though we used one, we are still not fully satisfied, so if you find one you think is better, send it our way on Discord!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 4, 2020

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Half-wit posted:

Every piece of ??? funneled to Enkidel is a piece of ??? not being funneled to El; and Enkidel doesn't have the range or the reach that El does. Plus, once the people funneling ??? to Enkidel lose faith, it's gone. It's a false boost to Enkidel's abilities that if he relies on, won't be there in times of strife. There's a reason the Melachim have said that Enkidel cannot be worshipped, and it's because if he does rely on the boosted ??? from heroic deeds, then when it disappears he's that much closer to going hunger demon.

Kitron is needed by the aquatic folks because they need a coastal city to spawn their best units...they're tired of having a malus on all their chaff.

We should not look at ??? generated as a constant. When we engage in these flashy and impressive battles the ??? generated is much much higher than what would normally happen without enkidel. If we view Acco 2.0 through these lens, we can see that the people funded the fart pillar which they saw to be an instance of divine favor further generating ??? for the big boss.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

??? is weird and it's not like we fully understand the mechanic.

We were remotely fueling Tudiya at Acco2 and he certainly doesn't worship us

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I don't think it is worship, I think it is belief, Tudiya may not make sacrifices to our name, but does he consciously or unconsciously believe in us? That might be a different story. For that matter, our belief in him might have been why we were able to fuel him at Acco2.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Diogines posted:

You broach the subject of Kitron with your father, telling him that many of the people of Kavodel are clamoring to take action. At this Tudiya looks to Uriah and says "You have served our people well upon upon your journey" and rises to shake Uriah's hand firmly "but this is a matter I wish to discuss with my son alone. If you would pardon us?" Uriah nods "Of course" and departs.

Tudiya looks to you and says "They may clamor for action and surely it would be pleasing to El if we could do it, but they do not appreciate the danger involved. We cannot both protect Zepath from attack and assault the demons at Kitron and even if we did attack there, I am far from certain we would prevail. Our people at best know of the hardest fought victories against the Bnaimokt or hunting bands which win minor sorties at the sea's edge. They do not appreciate the magnitude of the danger the spawn of the depths pose, not in the way I do, and I hope you would after fighting at Tanaach."

But what of the risk they grow their strength there? Tudiya says "Unless you've learned otherwise, what exactly their purpose in occupying Kitron is remains a mystery. It is unclear if it is a profane mockery, a challenge, a trap or if it truly offers them some advantage. But it is unlikely, very unlikely that Zepath will be their target on the next Jubilee if we remain to protect it, unlikely enough that I am ready to rely upon it being so. More likely they will attack other cities further up the coast, or possibly Dor."

[...]

Well, you brought up the topic with him and Tudiya seems pretty determined to leave Kitron be, but it is probably not impossible you could sway him. Your father greatly respects your track record fighting demons and your guidance on such matters and having just returned after a successful mission there is unlikely to be a better time to try to persuade him in the future, if you wish to, unless some fantastical discovery is made from what Asahel is bringing back from Carine.

You decide to not press the matter further. You will have some quality time with your father, as well as your mother and others you care about in Zepath later. For now, you have a king-ordered appointment with Ishamal to confirm you have not been mentally tampered with or otherwise secretly become a tool of demons or other fell things. And so together you walk to Ishamal’s home with him and knock upon the door, Ishamal answers, a smile upon his old but sturdy face.

“Welcome back Enkidel, did you see the sights? Grass… flat land… more grass… maybe a giant man eating mole or two… more grass and… more grass?”

Ha, well you saw some sights.

Tudiya, not frowning but not smiling says “Please check him over.” Ishamal nods and says as “As you wish”. You lower your head and stoop a bit as Ishamal places his hands on your shoulders and closes his eyes.

“The only one rummaging around in there is him.”

Tudiya nods “I am sure your mother will be pleased to see you soon. It is good to have you back.” And so Tudiya walks off as Ishamal welcomes you into his home, the two of you sit, he fetches a pitcher and reaches for two cups from a cabinet, then pauses, puts back one of the cups and takes a different, much larger cup as he walks back towards you…

“May I say what a pleasure it is to finally meet you in person, and may I commend the fine job you have done to forge him into a faithful warrior and tool of the Eternal One, Blessed Be He! Praised be the Holy One, that His servants joyfully toil day and night without pause and find ceaseless contentedness in it, praise be that….”

Ishamal places down the pitcher and the cups and places a hand on his brow and takes a deep breath then a long sigh as he rubs his forehead, then looks at Every-Strike. “Yes, its… nice to meet you as well. And thank you very much.” Ishamal looks to you and says “I was war-… informed of your new friend before your arrival. Lets start with It. Not that you would have ever tried to forge anything but Blooded bronze and mundane things in the past, but any other restrictions placed upon you, when it comes to smithing, are lifted when it comes to making things with It. You can trust the advice It gives you won’t cause you to do anything blasphemous or too stupidly dangerous and it probably won’t empty your Well out, probably, but be you must be ever cautious of every time you draw more than the most meager amounts from it. And I would caution you that I am sure there is rather a big gap between what you judge to be “worth it” and what It judges to be safe to do without turning you into a rampaging monster. Which is to say that It probably won’t idly cause you to empty your well out rapidly, but it might cause you spend more than is probably otherwise wise.”

“Why I take exception to that! I would never do such a thing, we shall together craft MARVELS to better execute the will of the Eternal One! Every striking of my head upon the anvil shall be a chorus in His service! The weapons we shall forge shall send the Detestable things running! Ideally in many pieces, dispatching even more with the shrapnel! Praise be to El that we are blessed to do toil in his name and…”

“May I?” he asks as he reaches for Every-Strike. You nod. He picks up the large hammer in two hands and carries it to another room, you hear Every-Strike singing praises and hymns every step of the way, until Ishamal waves a hand slightly in a gesture you’ve seen him do more than once before and all sounds from the city beyond disappear, as does Every-Strike’s cheerful singing from the other room. “Just keep in mind that your priorities and that of It may not always align perfectly, don’t forget which of you is actually in charge in your forge. Now, it sounds like your trip was eventful, where do you want to start?”

And so you tell Ishamal(*1) of most of your journey, only entirely skipping over two of your stops, your ever being at Chorazin and your looting of the tower in Carine. As you probably don’t think it the greatest idea to let him know you accidentally started a slave revolt, or that you broke into a place set off limits by the House of El, why would you tell that later part to ANYONE? You also don’t bring up the contents of the message from the Earth Matriarch, but otherwise

Ishamal listens and nods along, drinking from the larger cup and refilling it a few times as you two talk. He does not say a tremendous amount, but he answers some of your questions.

[…]

You can freely question Ishamal on well, just about anything, normal rules apply. The hour is late so the Capybaras won’t have much time to respond tonight, we may get to a few but most will have to wait until tomorrow.

[…]

(*1)Based on many past decisions, we assumed you just spilled your guts to Ishamal because you pretty much always do. If there is a strong opinion that you don’t want to do that, the Capybaras will consider adjusting things accordingly.

1. As to the topics of Chorazin, the tower in Carine and the message from the Earth Matriarch, did you want to speak to Ishamal about either? Pick as many as needed.
A. Nope.
B. I speak with him about Chorazin.
C. I speak with him about the tower Carine. Yeah, maybe its not uh… ideal to tell him I broke into a place the House of El set off limits, but I do need to eventually decide if I send back those glowing orbs or not, and who else am I going to ask for guidance about that?
D. You know what actually, what do I care if some Kadmonim… thing asked me not to share a message? I do speak with Ishamal about the message I received from the Earth Matriarch.
E. I speak to him about all of the above.

[...]

We are not abandoning our channel in IRC, it is not shutting down but given the fact that most people have decided to move to an inferior chat client, Discord, we will start linking it as well.
Discord Link: https://discord.gg/SPZ7Hyn

[...]

Travic's Awesome Index: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&pagenumber=4080&perpage=40#post473373440

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 4, 2020

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

A

Loose lips sink ships.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

C

Ish already knows we do we disregard the house of el on the reg

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
C, I'm not too worried about him getting excessively mad about Carine / if it's important he already knows / he may have useful info / if he tells us in strong terms it was an extremely stupid idea that's good to know.

Chorazin's not his problem and I don't really want to violate a direct order / request Or Else from Nikall for minimal gain.

also lol at muting Everystrike

also also the "restrictions are lifted" thing is cool

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

B
C

Ish is the one guy we're allowed to tell just about anything to, even the dirty bits. And asking what to do with the glow orbs seems important, he'd be the conduit for any message not to send them back or whatever.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

What did Amos see on the scroll in my head behind the citrus partition that made him so terrified he kicked me out?

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
1) A

Why and where are so many people from Kavodel going lately?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

A. He knows it all, he wants plausible deniability and he isn't going to tell us poo poo otherwise. Let's just move on

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
CD

That was an important message, and I think it’s worth talking about the tower.

I also like his stance on Everstrike.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

C

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
C, because I genuinely want his advice on the lightbulbs.

I'm not particularly opposed to talking about the other two points with him either, but I don't think we have a pressing need to either?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

What did Amos see on the scroll in my head behind the citrus partition that made him so terrified he kicked me out?
"I don't know. I am sure your father warned you about the difficulty and danger of rooting around in the minds of others, and I have warned you as well that such things are not to be done lightly. If you want, I will look but if it troubled Amos that much, I probably wouldn't tell you anyway, at least not without asking for guidance first, and I doubt they'd permit it. Even if I may not agree with him on everything, Amos is wise and has shown tremendous restraint, I would not idly second guess his judgment on such a matter."

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Task Manager posted:

1) A

Why and where are so many people from Kavodel going lately?

"I don't know. Are there?"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

A

I can't really think of anything I want to ask him at the moment.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Is Jael in trouble for appearing to me outside Libnah? Can you ask the Trio to put in a good word for him?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Diogines posted:

"I don't know. I am sure your father warned you about the difficulty and danger of rooting around in the minds of others, and I have warned you as well that such things are not to be done lightly. If you want, I will look but if it troubled Amos that much, I probably wouldn't tell you anyway, at least not without asking for guidance first, and I doubt they'd permit it. Even if I may not agree with him on everything, Amos is wise and has shown tremendous restraint, I would not idly second guess his judgment on such a matter."

Please look, there's at least a chance we get told and even if he doesn't tell us at least he's now aware of whatever deeper darker secret we have. Also if he doesn't tell us I'm gonna get real salty and yell about how it's our head damnit, that should be fun.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 4, 2020

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Give Ish permission to look

I trust him, and it could be important for the future. Even if he can't give us an answer, it could guide his future tutoring.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

Is Jael in trouble for appearing to me outside Libnah? Can you ask the Trio to put in a good word for him?
"I don't know. And they can hear you, so you can ask."

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

C

So was that truly a Rakshasa in Karnak, or something else?

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

I couldn't imagine life without the beautiful sight of the green horde
D

And let him look

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
EAT ISHOLE not because it'd gain us power or anything, though it would. Eat him just because ISHOLE is the loving worst

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
Give him permission to look

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Olothreutes posted:

C

So was that truly a Rakshasa in Karnak, or something else?

Ishamal takes a sip from his cup.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

Diogines posted:

its in our head, we need to know! ask him to look

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

C but mainly just asking about the orbs. Also jokingly ask him about how it felt to clear the tower with the tone of knowing that he can’t/won’t talk about it and that we think it’s funny to keep trying to piece together that he’s Aish of Ishat

If he was warned about Every then he knows about Carine. And he probably knows that we decided to bug out and just take poo poo instead of doing the challenge tower. Hell, if anyone knows about the tower it’s him. And one day we’ll get it out of him of where he’s actually from.

Diog, can we also just straight up ask him if there’s anything we need to know about Badad and the rest of it?

Again, I want this conversation to be one of ‘yeah lmao that was some hosed up stuff. Should we send back the orbs like we were asked to? And I guess is there anything you think we should know about Badad and the other stuff that happened?’ without walking him through everything as if he doesn’t already know.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

What's up with all the Anaki's everywhere?

Would trading with badad be a bad idea?

Can I finally know what a bluestone is and why everyone wants one?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

C+ Permission to look

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Oh also him grabbing the bigger cup and using it himself is peak comedy. Kudos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Two questions

1. Did I make that hammer or did something else help, the thought of ending up in another fuge state is unsettling.

And

2. Why does everything unnatural in this world die in rediculous and troublesome ways? That wasnt the first demon that exploded on me and I dont think it to be the last.