Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Exposure posted:

...we're stuck with a game that's awkwardly presented because they spitballed a more direct policing prototype (there's a bunch of cut lines for having to deal with enemies that are downed but haven't been arrested yet, for instance), and never fully cleaned up all the various instances of that kind of thing to clear up the unfortunate implications of it.

So you are saying that what we got as the third mainline XCOM title in the modern era is riddled with unfinished hatchet-jobs clearly put together from parts that do not fit into the overall original theme or design of the game. How... apocalyptic.

EDIT: it actually fits nicely into the timeline, XCOM2 being "more everything" and definitely much more difficult than XCOM, so by this metric the next XCOM game will be something really esoteric like gardening or flight simulator, and the XCOM3 will be almost finished and then cancelled at the beta testing phase without any explanation. A couple of years later XCOM3: Retry will be announced but will die out even before the first art concepts are leaked.

Later in 2030's someone finds out the buildable beta source of the XCOM3 from an abandoned USB drive, puts it publicly available and we find out it was a basically a mediocre Dead space 3 with XCOM IPR taped over the assets.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So yeah about the last Gray Phoenix mission. I beat it but holy poo poo, gently caress that mission.

Just got the psychics left and I will be done with the 3 factions.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm almost done with the game and it's pretty fun but I have some issues, mainly with how few healing options you have available (you either carry a medkit or your team has terminal permanently affixed), how the game really should reward you more for captures, and how the strategic layer seems pretty weak, especially once you hit the endgame and you're basically just bouncing cooldowns.

E: like the enemies in this game do an insane amount of damage, most of them will do 5-7 damage per shot.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 3, 2020

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

I'm almost done with the game and it's pretty fun but I have some issues, mainly with how few healing options you have available (you either carry a medkit or your team has terminal permanently affixed), how the game really should reward you more for captures, and how the strategic layer seems pretty weak, especially once you hit the endgame and you're basically just bouncing cooldowns.

E: like the enemies in this game do an insane amount of damage, most of them will do 5-7 damage per shot.

Respectully, outside of the very early game when you only have a bunch of rookies, if you're letting a lot of them live long enough to do damage to you, you're probably playing wrong.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 3, 2020

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
Any tips for the achievement for killing all the enemies in the breach? Does Easy reduce numbers that much? There always seem to be more than four. Unless I'm missing some Area of Effect breah attacks?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Doubtful Guest posted:

Any tips for the achievement for killing all the enemies in the breach? Does Easy reduce numbers that much? There always seem to be more than four. Unless I'm missing some Area of Effect breah attacks?

I think that's just getting lucky in the first few breaches of a new game. I haven't managed to get this one yet.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Megazver posted:

Respectully, outside of the very early game when you only have a bunch of rookies, if you're letting a lot of them live long enough to do damage to you, you're probably playing wrong.

When you can burn all of your skills, sure, but if you're at a 2 or 3 encounter mission you're going to take some hits

Maybe I'm playing too aggressively because of terminal's free heal

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

When you can burn all of your skills, sure, but if you're at a 2 or 3 encounter mission you're going to take some hits

There's really only a few enemies you absolutely need to kill before they act like Ronin or Codexes or the Shieldbearer types. After that it's just a matter of disabling or focus firing as needed

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Der Kyhe posted:

So you are saying that what we got as the third mainline XCOM title in the modern era is riddled with unfinished hatchet-jobs clearly put together from parts that do not fit into the overall original theme or design of the game. How... apocalyptic.

EDIT: it actually fits nicely into the timeline, XCOM2 being "more everything" and definitely much more difficult than XCOM, so by this metric the next XCOM game will be something really esoteric like gardening or flight simulator, and the XCOM3 will be almost finished and then cancelled at the beta testing phase without any explanation. A couple of years later XCOM3: Retry will be announced but will die out even before the first art concepts are leaked.

Later in 2030's someone finds out the buildable beta source of the XCOM3 from an abandoned USB drive, puts it publicly available and we find out it was a basically a mediocre Dead space 3 with XCOM IPR taped over the assets.

Hmm, it'd probably be a dating sim.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

You spread that stuff out. Claymore using motile in the first two encounters on Blueblood and Teaming Up with him in the third encounter, coupled with a very judicious use of capstones, is usually enough to wipe out most of the enemies in the first half of the initiative order, unless you're, like, fighting one of the big deal purple missions.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Hmm, it'd probably be a dating sim.

Forget saving Bradford's sweater from the aliens. For this mission, we'll be getting him out of it. :pervert:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Grapplejack posted:

i personally don't agree with that post in a world where Progeny exists. the entire loving faction is built around soulfiring your boys and there's very little you can do about that.

like we can have a bigger and better and more full discussion about the rest of the game but i continue to be super suspicious of people trying to turn using terminal into the mark of the bads in chimera squad. she does make the game a lot easier but the game's design is set up such that it unfairly weights her abilities. not using terminal is just necessarily going to mean more scars and more risk than if you brought her in a large number of situations, especially when the Progeny are involved. xcom has always been a game about reducing risks in risky situations so recognizing her value just seems like proper evaluation to me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Coolguye posted:

i personally don't agree with that post in a world where Progeny exists. the entire loving faction is built around soulfiring your boys and there's very little you can do about that.

like we can have a bigger and better and more full discussion about the rest of the game but i continue to be super suspicious of people trying to turn using terminal into the mark of the bads in chimera squad. she does make the game a lot easier but the game's design is set up such that it unfairly weights her abilities. not using terminal is just necessarily going to mean more scars and more risk than if you brought her in a large number of situations, especially when the Progeny are involved. xcom has always been a game about reducing risks in risky situations so recognizing her value just seems like proper evaluation to me.

Late game you can pretty safely ditch her, even on impossible, if you bring my boy Axiom. Mostly because 'shrug it off' and his innate regen are stupidly good, you don't need healing if you're only hit for 4 damage a turn that you heal off anyways!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Doubtful Guest posted:

It really only seems possible on easy, on the very first breach. Bring Godmother, Axiom, Claymore, (all the shotgun people) and not-Zephyr.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Terminal isnt top just because of her healing.

Its the combination of healing, giving a free turn to anyone, an extremely potent delay that works on everything, an extra utility slot to carry 3 of grenade/ammo/Motile/Disc , mitigation on demand, and having access to one of the most potent DPS moves in Guardian. She brings so much stuff to the table that she just fits in perfectly in any situation while always being useful.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Shoenin posted:

Terminal isnt top just because of her healing.

Its the combination of healing, giving a free turn to anyone, an extremely potent delay that works on everything, an extra utility slot to carry 3 of grenade/ammo/Motile/Disc , mitigation on demand, and having access to one of the most potent DPS moves in Guardian. She brings so much stuff to the table that she just fits in perfectly in any situation while always being useful.
She’s also a free door hack, which frees up a breach slot for more gently caress-you grenades because now you don’t need to bring an auto key card.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

CapnAndy posted:

She’s also a free door hack, which frees up a breach slot for more gently caress-you grenades because now you don’t need to bring an auto key card.

I like that her clutch heal ability is a third slot action, too. Roar, grenade, and heal your team!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Der Kyhe posted:

It's me, the one person who would be more than okay with a modern Enforcer. :mrgw:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

That last mission was a ride, I ended up having to chain heals on godmother since the snakes kept chainbinding her. Very fun, felt kind of dry on the strategic layer tbh, there's not much for you to do. The only time I openly panicked was the surprise at the end of grey phoenix. Granted I dealt with it before it could do anything but what a horrifying thing to run into, especially in a game with segmented actions like this one.

So actual question: did anyone ever actually bother with the androids? Why are they there

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

That last mission was a ride, I ended up having to chain heals on godmother since the snakes kept chainbinding her. Very fun, felt kind of dry on the strategic layer tbh, there's not much for you to do. The only time I openly panicked was the surprise at the end of grey phoenix. Granted I dealt with it before it could do anything but what a horrifying thing to run into, especially in a game with segmented actions like this one.

So actual question: did anyone ever actually bother with the androids? Why are they there

I never used androids. Their utility is very limited because their purpose is to sub in for someone who gets downed between encounters, but usually the first couple of encounters of any mission are a breeze anyway so the only time you're likely to have anyone go down is at the end where you won't be able to replace them with an android anyway.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Grapplejack posted:

Option to limp through to the end vs forced into a failure cascade, I guess, without letting you plan on having a real B-team ready to step in

Some people do no-reloads runs etc

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

They're probably a vestigal element of an earlier design for the game, where you had a greater use/need for extra manpower.

Maybe it was originally planned that you would have multiple bases/precincts/squads and had to decide whether to upgrade your agents or give them Android backup.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Grapplejack posted:

They're there if someone eats some :xcom: bullshit on Encounter 1 or 2 so that you're not shorthanded for the rest of the mission, obviously.

But yeah, I never bothered outfitting them even after I unlocked modular androids because... why? It's gonna be on the bench 99% of the time and I need those items to actually get used.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

The androids could've been cool if you just always had a 5th soldier who was always a droid who didn't gain xp but also could get annihilated every mission with no consequences, and you could invest research and parts to make them better or just not care and use them as cannon fodder.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I never used androids.

Same but also I don't even know how to use them in the first place. I assumed they'd just jump in whenever one of my guys went down ; but I've had that happen a couple of times and no androids - is there some UI button I've missed ? And if so... why ?! Is there some sort of penalty or cost for calling in the Iron Legion ?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Holy gently caress the archon ruler. That's an immediate evac.

Evaced a supply raid and it said I completed the objective, lol whatever. Even the game knows it's total bullshit.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Supply raids are a success even if you only get one crate

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Kobal2 posted:

Same but also I don't even know how to use them in the first place. I assumed they'd just jump in whenever one of my guys went down ; but I've had that happen a couple of times and no androids - is there some UI button I've missed ? And if so... why ?! Is there some sort of penalty or cost for calling in the Iron Legion ?
Someone has to go down and there needs to be another encounter where you'll bring them instead of the casualty. If it is your last encounter of the mission you won't get a robot. There's no penalty, although I think repairs afterwards cost something.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kobal2 posted:

They only jump in on the next encounter and you have to have bought androids at the supply shop first.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Whelp, I have confirmed that Big Boss could CQC a sectopod to death.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
yeah androids coming in after the encounter is pretty lame. Kind of makes them essentially never showup.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I feel like they had an idea for some sort of reinforcement mechanic for cs where in bigger missions someone could maybe get called in but the “in between Android” is what got left over when they cut it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Replaying Enemy Within and struck again by how out of place EXALT feels.

I'm in the middle of an escalating alien invasion and I have to pause to go completely murder some half-assed frat boy cult. They're feeble combatants to boot, and I felt embarrassed for them and their evil genius penthouse as I farmed them for kill xp for my squaddies.

I have to imagine Firaxis originally had more ambitious plans for them and the expansion? It feels like a distraction from the actual story and a waste of effort/assets that could have gone into making more aliens and mission types.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Fintilgin posted:

Replaying Enemy Within and struck again by how out of place EXALT feels.

I'm in the middle of an escalating alien invasion and I have to pause to go completely murder some half-assed frat boy cult. They're feeble combatants to boot, and I felt embarrassed for them and their evil genius penthouse as I farmed them for kill xp for my squaddies.

I have to imagine Firaxis originally had more ambitious plans for them and the expansion? It feels like a distraction from the actual story and a waste of effort/assets that could have gone into making more aliens and mission types.

I mean, on paper the concept isn't so bad - "here, see how you like fighting with guys who have the exact same skills/weapons you do". There's a reason why almost every superhero movie ends up being a mirror match (well, there's many, really). Beating your own, just_as_overpowered dark mirror is a whole Thing.

The issue is that, as you say, my dark mirror is a bunch of absolute chumps. That I can entirely disable more or less whenever I need to (Time Walk is a balanced card, right ?). And who zerg capture points out of cover like so many 14 yr old Call of Duty rageoids.

ETA : also, while the whole "shadowy mystery" thing is/was cool at first ; it's never really explained who the gently caress these people *are* or why they try to gently caress with you in the first place. Are they mind controlled ? If so, why don't aliens jab themselves in the neck to prevent capture ? Have they been in talks/allied with the aliens, "we'll let you rule the ashes, pinkie swear" type thing ? They have advanced/alien tech, but it's sort of implied they got there just like you by reverse-engineering it from dead aliens (or even by hacking/copyright infringing X-Com stuff, which would explain their Geosphere); so does that mean they also fight aliens when they're not loving with you ? Who's funding all their toys and poo poo, since I'm the darling of every government in the world - are they, like, the mafia, the Axis of Evil, what ?

We don't know. They just... suddenly exist. And then they suddenly don't, and that's that. I don't think they're ever mentioned in X-Com 2 or Chimera squad (but then again why would they, since they're just figments in the Matrix/the aliens trying to learn how the Commander would go about killing X-com kinda guys ?)

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 6, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Look, Bradford was trying his best

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Ardlen posted:

Someone has to go down and there needs to be another encounter where you'll bring them instead of the casualty. If it is your last encounter of the mission you won't get a robot. There's no penalty, although I think repairs afterwards cost something.

Ah, thanks, that would be it then - fatalities tend to only happen in the final clusterfuck (or on highway escort missions because fuckin' 'ell, that's a lot of explosive only-half-cover).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
EXALT are a perfectly good rookie/squaddie training ground for late-game reinforcements if your A team takes a casualty

also in Chimera today I learned that Shelter has a thing for Zephyr and of course they found out in the most embarrassing way possible. thankfully, as professionals, it never came up again :v:

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Kobal2 posted:

I mean, on paper the concept isn't so bad - "here, see how you like fighting with guys who have the exact same skills/weapons you do". There's a reason why almost every superhero movie ends up being a mirror match (well, there's many, really). Beating your own, just_as_overpowered dark mirror is a whole Thing.

The issue is that, as you say, my dark mirror is a bunch of absolute chumps. That I can entirely disable more or less whenever I need to (Time Walk is a balanced card, right ?). And who zerg capture points out of cover like so many 14 yr old Call of Duty rageoids.

ETA : also, while the whole "shadowy mystery" thing is/was cool at first ; it's never really explained who the gently caress these people *are* or why they try to gently caress with you in the first place. Are they mind controlled ? If so, why don't aliens jab themselves in the neck to prevent capture ? Have they been in talks/allied with the aliens, "we'll let you rule the ashes, pinkie swear" type thing ? They have advanced/alien tech, but it's sort of implied they got there just like you by reverse-engineering it from dead aliens (or even by hacking/copyright infringing X-Com stuff, which would explain their Geosphere); so does that mean they also fight aliens when they're not loving with you ? Who's funding all their toys and poo poo, since I'm the darling of every government in the world - are they, like, the mafia, the Axis of Evil, what ?

We don't know. They just... suddenly exist. And then they suddenly don't, and that's that. I don't think they're ever mentioned in X-Com 2 or Chimera squad (but then again why would they, since they're just figments in the Matrix/the aliens trying to learn how the Commander would go about killing X-com kinda guys ?)

I think there's even a Council mission where you do capture one alive and Bradford says something like "finally we'll get some answers" with 0 follow-up.

But the most half-assed thing about them was their final mission which doesn't feature a leader or special character of any kind.

At least Firaxis learned from this mistake and ended Chimera Squad by introducing a last-minute evil mastermind out of nowhere that's a normal enemy with a name over his head and 2 "greater good" lines of dialogue.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I liked how Speedball's LP of Enemy Within made EXALT into white supremacists trying to steal alien tech to keep the status quo going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Avasculous posted:

I think there's even a Council mission where you do capture one alive and Bradford says something like "finally we'll get some answers" with 0 follow-up.

The follow up to him was actually the dam mission where you find the French psychic. If I remember right there was a blurb about Exalt trying to get her back from the aliens, and the ensuing firefight was why the dam was already shot to poo poo when you arrive. Afterwards, Vahlen describes her as having "focused mental trauma" or something similar.

So, the implication is that Exalt had their own Psi program, and the aliens caught wind of it.