Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So is there any particular reason why used M4s are so cheap relative to other M cars? Was having a poke around Autotrader it and looks like they’ve depreciated hard in the UK as well as the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Lord Ludikrous posted:

So is there any particular reason why used M4s are so cheap relative to other M cars? Was having a poke around Autotrader it and looks like they’ve depreciated hard in the UK as well as the US.

Because the M2 is better obviously. If you want 2 doors why get the bloated one?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lord Ludikrous posted:

They made a ton of them I think? Which seems weird to me because I see way more M3's in person.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it has either one too many or one too few ms depending on your perspective and personal preferences

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Man they were so close to a nice looking car https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/03/bmw-4-series-different-grille/#slide-2238422

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

M3/M4 front bumper spy shot

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I think there are some i3 owners around here (what is this a crossover episode with EV thread?). Beside the weird tire size, are there any BMW gotchas with the 2015 MYs? Care to share your experiences, REX/nonREX?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Lord Ludikrous posted:

from the conversation like two pages ago:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The F80 looks so much better in comparison, and anyone wanting a nut stomping 2 door from Welt should just get the M2.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Russian Bear posted:

I think there are some i3 owners around here (what is this a crossover episode with EV thread?). Beside the weird tire size, are there any BMW gotchas with the 2015 MYs? Care to share your experiences, REX/nonREX?

Stupid tires are the big thing IMO. I went Rex and am very glad I did, it's gotten me home a few times and eliminates any range anxiety you might have. If you're never going to need more range you can skip the Rex as there are some possible issues with sensors and engine mounts (there's a recall). Due to COVID I haven't put that many miles on mine but I like it overall.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Stupid tires are the big thing IMO. I went Rex and am very glad I did, it's gotten me home a few times and eliminates any range anxiety you might have. If you're never going to need more range you can skip the Rex as there are some possible issues with sensors and engine mounts (there's a recall). Due to COVID I haven't put that many miles on mine but I like it overall.

Does the cabin feel premium like you'd expect on a BMW product?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The i3 interior is quite nice IMO and clever with space. It is a bit different than a standard BMW interior, though, since it is trying to be more "futuristic" and uses some different "eco" materials.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Russian Bear posted:

Does the cabin feel premium like you'd expect on a BMW product?

I'd say yes but also agree with Guinness, it isn't a typical BMW interior. Mine is the "Giga World" which is the mid range package and it's a very nice place to be. The combo of leather and cloth on the seats works well, I prefer cloth over leather for daily drivers anyway.

I'd recommend trying to find one with the technology package for the large center screen, feels kind of weird the amount of wasted space otherwise.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Full frontal shot of the G82 M4.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Jesus.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Lmfao

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

fknlo posted:

They made a ton of them I think? Which seems weird to me because I see way more M3's in person.

This is why. It's also not the bespoke "M" car it was before this generation, a lot of the suspension parts/engine/etc are shared with regular 3's compared with like 5% of the parts matching on the E9x and E46's.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr. Apollo posted:

Full frontal shot of the G82 M4.

That is not good.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

What’s with the rear fender flares? They just seem to be little lips just above the wheel well.

Also, the cruise control sensor looks so bad.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 5, 2020

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Hot take: I am starting to actually like the new 4-Series looks.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Mods????

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Having had a further nose around it looks like the same relative depreciation has hit the regular 4 Series when compared to the 3 Series - although whether the average 4 Series buyer cares how many components are shared with the 3 is anyone’s guess.

Which isn’t a bad thing as my partner rather likes the 4er Coupe and we should be able to pick up an LCI model for not much £££ in a couple more years.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I think the die hard sports coupe guys have all migrated to the 2 series, as the 3/4-series has gotten pretty fat since the old days. Big heavy 2-doors have always been pretty niche, since at that size/weight a 4-door makes more sense for most folks. If you're looking for an actual sporty car, the 2 is a much better choice.

But if that's cool with you, go nuts and snag a good deal on a 4.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 5, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Space Battlecar Yamato

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Are those actually bigger than '72 trans am nostrils/grille?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
.....so now I just want to saw off the middle portion to complete the Audi tribute.

Like the Panzer Grey though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
You know, I'd really appreciate it if things stopped hitting my loving car.

I went through some really high winds caused by a storm and it blew something into my car. I never saw it and I didn't see it on the dash cam footage either. Some of it looks/feels like it's definitely into the clear and not just surface marks. Got a nice little dent too.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

someone is going to make a killing with this mod.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

someone is going to make a killing with this mod.

if someone pulls it off it will be extremely expensive due to all the sensor packages

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What is the benefit of automated grill slats? It seems like a pointlessly mechanical bit that will only ever cause horrible misery down the road.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Popete posted:

What is the benefit of automated grill slats? It seems like a pointlessly mechanical bit that will only ever cause horrible misery down the road.

Probably like 0.1% better fuel economy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Popete posted:

If it is too cold, close the slats to let the engine warm up I guess. Or maybe to reduce drag or something to increase gas mileage. Like when they programmed cars to disengage the alternator to improve highway economy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if someone pulls it off it will be extremely expensive due to all the sensor packages

Just make all the sensor locations the same and require transferring the electronics to the new bumper.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s aero. Reduces drag

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
So I tend to cycle between years going in and out of AI phases. Most recently several years ago when I bought my old gti (since departed). Then I retired from AI for a while, but I am now paying attention again.

Not that you really care about my personal motivations, but you may care because of the 2009 335i convertible.

It needs some love, of course, but I only paid $5700 so let's do this. I'm debating making a project thread because poo poo's getting real, but I need to lurk a little more to see where the needle sits these days around these parts. Feel free to suggest yes or no.

This weekend has been removing and painting the front bumper, which has spent some time in ditches.

I've never tackled this level of painting and bondo before, so this has been interesting. I'm not great at it, but I'm not 100% terrible it seems.

So much priming and sanding. I had to sand down and redo a lot, but I'm trying to be patient. I just applied what was going to be the final wet coat of paint, but it revealed a rough spot or two I should sand back down and repaint.

After this, it's replacing the defective driver's side adaptive headlight module before remounting the bumper, replacing the busted fog grill. And then, in no particular order, finding and fixing the oil leak (because n54 reasons), finding the leak in the back tire, touching up the ugly driver's seat cracks, fixing the weak right rear turn signal, and some other stuff. In addition to whatever breaks while I get around to these!

Just thought I'd share the journey.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

That Raleigh looks rad

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Thanks, it is. I'm selling it sadly (having replaced it with a totally awful/awesome drop bar mtb). So come give it a home!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

nice car, how many miles? three pedals?

my brother is looking to buy an e82 or e88 in germany (he lives in berlin,) dont know if anyone has input about the best way to do that.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Where are you located? There is a place near me that breaks down e90s all the time and would have a ton of spares for you.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

PabloBOOM posted:

Just thought I'd share the journey.

What’s your paint code? I have a jet black/ schwartz 2 (668) e61 that could use some love that I’m keen to try the same with.

Echoing on your location, I’ve made going to the local pick and pulls— I have three I frequent— a hobby of mine, and I’d be glad to pull stuff for you. e9x stuff is popping up more and more frequently lately, even cars with the n54 still in them by the time I get to them. I live in the southern tier/finger lakes region of NY.

Back to paint for your bumper cover: did you get some rattle cans filled at your local auto paint store, or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

That black poverty spec looks like a loving Grand Prix.